UBB.Dev
Posted By: Dave2 Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/05/2002 10:00 PM
Get it from here: http://www.mozilla.org/releases/
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/05/2002 10:11 PM
party time laugh
Posted By: Dave2 Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/05/2002 10:31 PM
I don't know who would go to a Mozilla party :|...
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/05/2002 10:39 PM
Woo-hoo! Finally!
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/05/2002 10:45 PM
yes, finally wink

just downloaded... smile
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 5:38 AM
Okay, I have question that'll probably eek everyone. What's Mozilla supposed to do?

I just went over to their site, and I still don't have a very good clue. shocked
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 6:00 AM
heheh... it's the off-spring of the old Netscape series of browsers. IE's main competition in the "browser wars".

As a webmaster, you should download it if for nothing else just to make sure your site displays well in it. Keeping to xhtml specs (with the exception of a mozilla display bug or 2) will ensure that your site does work well in it, as it does adhere fairly closely to standards.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 6:00 AM
quote:
Mozilla is an open-source web browser and toolkit, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. Mozilla.org provides binaries for testing and feedback. For more about mozilla.org, read Mozilla at a Glance .
Right off the front page of the site. wink
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 6:02 AM
open source web browser based on the netscape platform
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 6:04 AM
tipsy
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 6:22 AM
Allen gets the win (photo finish). ($3.40)
Charles get the place ($4.80)
...and I got the show. ($4.20)

The Exacta paid $14.40
The Trifecta pays $67.00

laugh
Posted By: navaho Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 7:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tackaberry:
open source web browser based on the netscape platform

That's backwards Tacks.

Netscape 7 is built off of Mozilla 1.0 Release Candidate 2. The 6 series Netscapes were way behind they were built on old Mozilla milestones. Netscape is built off of open source Mozilla. And it's usually behind at that.
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 12:54 PM
Wasn't Mozilla a Netscape creation whereby they released their source code. After that Mozilla development continued as open source, and Netscape still proprietary code.

Recently its been the cart pulling the horse, as Netscape runs off the Mozilla builds.

From a business/manufacturing/economics perspective it is demonstrating the impact of economies of scale/scope. Nobody can match the resources available for research and development as at Microsoft. Long term -- those company's products will lag behind. They do not have either the resources in terms of money or the user base to keep the playing field level.

Enter open source. A brilliant way for smaller companies to extend their resources by employing labor even less expensive than your typically third world sweat shop...its free R&D.

Standards are the great rallying call, as all of the minor players corroborate to determine what the "standard" should be. If not for their consortium the standard would naturally extend from the market leader, in this case Microsoft. However, they are able to hold back the natural momentum of the market with the release of open source standards.

Microsoft in the mean time continues along their merry way developing their proprietary technologies, and is villified for not releasing their source code, or adhering to the standard set by the world communities (i.e. their competitors).

It's really an interesting perspective. The small players in the market need open source in order to shore up the resource gap. Further more the standard ensure that Microsoft isn't able to run away due to a widening technology gap.

Netscape could not compete with Microsoft, few can, largely because of the economies of scale/scope Microsoft is able to achieve.

Congratulations, all of you who have read this are now one step closer to your MBA tipsy
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 7:58 PM
NS1 -> NS2 -> NS3 -> NS4 -> "NS5" -> "MozillaClassic"

Then they realized they couldn't do what they wanted with NS5, so they started over. Mozilla doesn't really share much with the old Netscapes.
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 8:13 PM
not Mozzila.classic?

tipsy

laugh
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/06/2002 10:05 PM
I used to be an IE fan, but soon discovered that Mozilla was the wave of the future. Cept for a few things, I usually browse and do everything in Moz.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Mozilla 1.0 released! - 06/09/2002 5:40 AM
I just downloaded Mozilla now and it seems pretty good but weird for me. tipsy
© UBB.Developers