UBB.Dev
Posted By: AllenAyres Quad Core - 10/04/2007 7:44 PM
I just updated my dad's company's old Dell Server - a PIII that has seen better days. It came to this when we went to purchase new server software and found out it required 25gb of space for system files and expansion (email, user files, etc). The current hard drives are 16gb (2 x raid 0). So.. after 7-8 years it was time.

Dell with 2 Quad Core Xeons and 4gb of ram, 250gb hard drives and gigabit nic's.

Should last a few more years, certainly until he's ready to retire smile
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Quad Core - 10/05/2007 12:24 AM
I think I need to go change... :x... wow...
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Quad Core - 10/05/2007 8:20 AM
The time savings over the next 6 months should pay for it easily... the old server and especially its software was on its last legs.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Quad Core - 10/10/2007 10:14 PM
Should be here Friday smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Quad Core - 10/12/2007 10:52 PM
This thing has 6 fans (that I can see) eek

While installing MS Small Biz Server 2003 R2, it says it can only use 2 processors, not the 8 I have... anyone know of an update/setting that addresses this? Seems odd they'd sell quad core processors if they can't be used.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Quad Core - 10/13/2007 1:49 AM
They can be, it's called Linux wink...

I'm thinking the max I've seen M$ do is dual; but I'm not sure... BTW, extra cores doesn't == extra processors (as the machine would id in window$, as i recall); but I've not had much experiance with more than 2 processors (or cores for that matter)
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Quad Core - 10/13/2007 6:38 AM
MS SB Server 2003 recognizes each core as a seperate processor. I wonder where ntdoc is... smile
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Quad Core - 10/13/2007 10:10 AM
He hasnt' been on AIM in days; thouh he said that's normal :x
Posted By: ntdoc Re: Quad Core - 12/05/2007 12:43 AM
Sorry but I actually don't visit this site all that much.

You can PM me at UBB where I visit daily or send me an IM to [email protected]

System Requirements for Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/evaluation/sysreqs/default.mspx

Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 supports a maximum of 75 users or devices. The computer running Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 should be in the Intel Pentium/Celeron family or the AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family or have a compatible processor. Both editions support up to two CPUs on one server.

Note: A single hyperthreading processor counts as one CPU.

Note: A dual-core processor counts as one CPU.

However for a Quad-Core I'm guessing that they determine it to be 2 CPUs and thus you can't see or use the other one.

Compare the Editions of Windows Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/evaluate/features/compare.mspx

Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Quad Core - 12/20/2007 12:03 AM
Grazie smile

When I pull up the task manager it shows 8 windows with squiggly lines in the performance tab. It recognizes them at least in part... oh well, live and learn. Next time no more than 2 dual core cpu's and save a couple hundred $ smile
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Quad Core - 12/21/2007 8:39 PM
Funny I just resurrected a PIII-450 to use as a NAS.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Quad Core - 12/22/2007 8:29 AM
I have several slower pc's that I've been wondering what to do with; contemplated just using them for NAS when I have some $ for a few tb hd's wink... Instant love!
Posted By: sirdude Re: Quad Core - 12/24/2007 6:46 AM
i just use a router with USB port for external HDD 'nas'

anything below a p4 is in the trash now...
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Quad Core - 01/19/2008 9:04 AM
My 8 year old work pc finally died this week. Luckily I got everything moved to the backup HD when it started croaking over the last 3 weeks... except my ubbdev email frown I formatted our old work server ( a dell 2500) and added winxp to it to use in the meantime, but I was without a pc for at least 36 hours cry

My new dell should be here monday or tuesday, I think the old HD should connect some how - there's nearly 10 years of ubb and other scripts on there thumbsup
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Quad Core - 01/19/2008 10:55 AM
Yikes; glad you have backups wink...

What email service do you use for UBBDev? I use Google for Domains for all of mine (which includes Jabber if you set it up properly)
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Quad Core - 01/21/2008 10:07 PM
We're still on the old host we've been on maybe 6 years now. I need to move to google - is it that difficult to do?

The sata connectors don't work on my old ultra ata drives. I need to pick up an adaptor.

BTW, posting from my new work computer woot there was a LOT of dust under the monitor of the old one wink I have quite a few apps to re-install now.

I have 4gb of ram installed but for some reason it's recognizing 3.25gb confused
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Quad Core - 01/22/2008 3:05 AM
It's fairly easy to move; so long as you can update the MX records... If you want to use say Jabber on it, you need to be able to modify the host records as well...
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Quad Core - 01/22/2008 3:09 AM
I am not sure about Joker, but eNom and GoDaddy both have a hosted DNS option that gives you ultimately full access over your domains... Or you could probably just email whoever manages DNS at Groupee and have them set things up...
© UBB.Developers