UBB.Dev
Posted By: Gardener Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 07/20/2004 9:45 PM
Mod Name / Version: User Memo 1.0

Description: Adds a link to your users My Home page that opens a popup window where they can read/update a short Memo message. This has only been tested on v6.4 but since it's quite stand-alone it should work fine on 6.2 and higher I believe.

Working Under: UBB.Threads 6.4-6.5

Mod Status: Beta

Any pre-requisites: None

Author(s): Gardener

Date: 07/20/04

Credits:

Files Altered: ubbt.inc.php, templates/default/myhome.tmpl, languages/english/controlpanel.php

New Files: memo.php, templates/default/memo.tmpl, languages/english/memo.php

Database Altered: New field U_OJ_Memo added to w3t_Users table

Info/Instructions: Installation instructions are available in the zip.

Update: Fixed two small bugs.

Update: Also fixed some problems with the instructions.

Update: Updated to work with v6.5.

Disclaimer: Please backup every file that you intend to modify.
If the modification modifies the database, it's a good idea to backup your database before doing so.

Note: If you modify your UBB.Threads code, you may be giving up your right for "official" support from Infopop.If you need official support, you'll need to restore unmodified files.

Attached File
117019-ubbt_user_memo-1_0.zip  (227 downloads)
Posted By: Gardener Re: Beta-[6.4] User Memo 1.0 - 07/23/2004 6:41 AM
I had messed up the instructions a bit, I've uploaded a new version that hopefully works better.
Posted By: Gardener Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 07/23/2004 7:04 AM
OK, I've updated this with some changes need for it to work with UBB.threads 6.5. There were some changes needed to the memo.php file and the instructions are a bit different for v6.5. The attachment in the main post has been updated with this latest version.
Posted By: dman_dup1 Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 07/27/2004 4:52 AM
This is a sweet mod. Is there a way to make the link in the menubar instead of down on the bottom of "my home"? I tried to copy the script to the registerednav.tmpl but it only showed up when I was in the my home. Then I tried to put a regular link to the memo.php and it worked fine but when it closed the window it wouldn't go back since it wasn't actually a popup window and it closed the browser.
Posted By: Gardener Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 07/27/2004 5:14 AM
The link should work just fine, the problem is that the language string for the link title is in the language file for the myhome script. So the link is there, but you just don't see it.

Add this to your languages/english/generic.php:
Code
$ubbt_lang['OJ_OPEN_MEMO'] = "Open Memo";

And remove the same line from controlpanel.php (or myhome.php if you're using v6.5).
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 09/23/2004 9:34 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what are some uses of this mod?
Posted By: Ian_W Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 09/23/2004 9:41 PM
Haven't installed this, but I am guessing that users can in effect have their own notepad on the site. They can store notes, and then return to that note on a future occasion. The alternative is to self PM (which always used to work)
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 09/23/2004 10:51 PM
What kind of notes would one take while at a website?
Posted By: DrChaos Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 09/23/2004 11:08 PM
This was actually a mod that I was asking about but gardener whipped it up really quick. I personally use it on my forums because there are times when im on my forums and on instant messaging and I find that people always ask me to help with something on the site or a problem they had and I can easily type it into there instead of sending a pm to myself. I also have a "to do" list of things that I want/need to get done on the forums.
Posted By: Gardener Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 09/24/2004 2:15 AM
DLWebmaestro:
Yeah, quick reminder info is probably what it's most useful for, and it's quicker to reach than some odd PM.

TODO-list is a good idea as well, maybe I'll start using it for that.

I installed it on my site as well, but last I checked, only 7 users were using it I think.
Posted By: Harold Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 03/08/2005 12:06 AM
I have a question regarding the basic functionality.

Is the text inside the memo saved when the memo box is closed? Or is it cleared to a blank box each time it is reopened?
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 03/08/2005 12:08 AM
It should pull in the user's existing info when it's reopened.
You do have to "submit" the info though, not just close the window. If you just close the window, then nothing is saved.
Posted By: Harold Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 03/08/2005 12:33 AM
Ok. I see it now. The popup box isn't big enough to show the bottom of the memo with the save button. The popup isn't resizable, nor are there any scrollbars. I had to drag the left side down to see what you were talking about.

I imagine this is an issue with IE6 and my willingness to use it.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 03/08/2005 1:29 AM
We could alter the javascript link for the popup in the myhome.tmpl and either make the box bigger, or resizeable.
Posted By: Harold Re: Beta-[6.4-6.5] User Memo 1.0 - 03/08/2005 3:06 AM
Ok. I had the same result with Firefox. I'll be filling out another trouble ticket in a few days. There's a couple other things going on too.

Thanks Josh!
© UBB.Developers