UBB.Dev
Posted By: Dave Downin Who's Currently Online - 03/04/2000 9:13 PM
Ok, this is definantly beta, but appears to be working. So, I'm gonna release it as beta since I hate documething stuff and answering tons of questions.

Get the hack here: http://www.arlo.net/ubb/whoonline.txt
Posted By: Menno Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/04/2000 9:32 PM
If this thing works, it might just be one of the better hacks around at the moment [Linked Image]

I'll try it and give you guys some feedback

------------------
Cougar's here, so have no fear
Webmaster of www.artbeast.de
Posted By: Slasher Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/04/2000 10:43 PM
It's a very good hack!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: tomee Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/04/2000 10:44 PM
It doesn't work for me ;((
Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
It always says 'no one else is online'.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/04/2000 11:58 PM
I'll test it out for the older versions. 5.39b. Lets see if this bad boy will work.

------------------
I wish I were a Canuck
All they have to do is drink beer, play hockey, and say "Eh"

* No offense meant to any Canadians
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 1:26 AM
One thing to note... it remove's YOUR name from the list when you view it. So, if you are the only one around, you will see "there is no one else around". Other people will see you though...

If you would like it to show your name remove the following line from the "GetOnlineUsers" subroutine:

if ($name eq $cookie{'UserName'}) { next; }
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 7:47 AM
I'm hoping you come through Atom911. Since releases after 5.42 had some major cookie code changes and consolidation, I'm unsure it will work. I have too many hacks to start over so soon with 5.45 coming out. If 5.45 doesn't get many features I may stay with 5.42 a little longer.

BTW, I just noticed all the light bulbs stay on for me on this board...Cookie related?

Dave's light bulbs work okay though.
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 8:23 AM
Yea I added it to this board also. It seem like there is no bugs at the moment. Music Global Network why don't you make a backup of ubblibery.pl and try it to see if it will work. It should just replace the admin cookie section with what it has. It is the same but modtifyed version of the cookie section as 5.44. It shouldn't be a problem.

------------------
President and Webmaster of UBB Hackers Hideout.

Contact Me at:

AIM:SpazJCC
Email: ubbmaster@ubbcodehacking.com
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 9:45 AM
I think I got it to work in 5.42. [Linked Image] I had to keep the existing get cookie subroutine though. See it in action here!

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
http://musicglobalnetwork.com
Posted By: Menno Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 11:10 AM
Strangely enough I can't find the get_cookie routine in ubb_library (5.43a)

------------------
Cougar's here, so have no fear
Webmaster of www.artbeast.de
Posted By: Dr Dollarz Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 4:52 PM
Could it work for freeware????

and the arlo.net link is broken
Posted By: Slasher Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 5:43 PM
For people who have got 5.43 or lower. Try editing in cookie-lib.
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 6:46 PM
Thanks for the tip Slasher [Linked Image]

I wonder if I even need it in ubb_library for version 5.42 now?

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: Mutt Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 8:20 PM
sounds really cool!

can't wait to play around with this
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 8:27 PM
Okay, now the fun part. Where should the code be added for the forumdisplay.cgi? Any ideas?

BTW, I found this cool icon that seems to fit this hack perfect...

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 10:28 PM
Michael,

I have mine right after the following code in 5.44 (not sure if other versions are the same):

Code
code:

and here is what I added in right after it:

Code
code:

This will not write them to the file if they are browsing a private forum. I did this because of the addon script I'm working on which will display where in the forums they are (using the info you pass to the WriteUserSession routine), and I don't want people knowing who has access to private forums.
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/05/2000 11:01 PM
Dave,

Version 5.42 has that code. I added what you suggested above. Thanks, this script is great! Can't wait until the addon script is ready.

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 12:57 AM
Haven't gotten it yet(haven't tried yet >:0) Had some paying jobs that i had to take care of first, haha.

------------------
I wish I were a Canuck

Posted By: Dave# Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 1:02 AM
Works on 5.3* versions too
Posted By: garyl Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 2:40 AM
Having a problem with this hack in version 5.40... I changed everything in the Ultimate.cgi like you said, and made the changes to cookie-lib instead of ubb_library.pl (since my version doesn't have the get_cook sub in the ubb_library.pl). However, when I load ultimate.cgi, it gives me no message at all. The column is made, and it says "users currently online", but there is no message saying that people or online or not.

Also, I noticed that no online.cgi file was made in my members directory.

Any idea what might be going on? Thanks.
http://www.quantum9.com
Posted By: Dr Dollarz Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 3:49 AM
Does it work on freeware????????????????????????????
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 4:10 AM
Dr. Dollarz -- can you please asking if hacks made for the license version work for the freeware. The obvious answer is no. The freeware and the licensed version are nothing alike internally, well, they are, but not enough for hacks to be compatible. So NO this hack does not work for the freeware.

------------------
I wish I were a Canuck

Posted By: kookie Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 4:36 AM
only people who are on the main page show up in that box. whats the code for adding forumdisplay and posting etc?
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 4:40 AM
If you look at the previous messages you'll see where I posted where you can put it in forumdisplay.cgi - any other place is left up to you to figure out. There are literally quite a few places where you could put it, but I don't want to spend all my time documenting that part of the hack... it's easy enough to figure out.
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 5:46 AM
Ok, I've got a rough first cut at the addon "Who's Online" script. First thing though... I made a minor change in the "GetOnlineUsers" subroutine, to help with this addon script. If you installed today (Sunday) you shouldn't have a problem just adding the addon, as I updated the instructions. If not, check the routine for the lines in bold below:

Code
code:

If you want to make sure, just replace the entire "GetOnlineUsers" subroutine with the one above.

Now, the addon script can be gotten at: http://www.arlo.net/ubb/cgi-bin/online.txt and you can see it in action at http://www.arlo.net/ubb/cgi-bin/online.cgi Just grab the script, save it in your CGI directory, and rename it online.cgi.

Feel free to link it in however you want. I just made the "Currently Browsing the Boards" text a link to the script (in Ultimate.cgi).
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 8:27 AM
Sweet!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch Dave! I have it working. I added a link that says "Click here for detailed view" next to the "Currenly Browsing the Boards" text. Now I just need to clean up my Default Footer that I noticed you took advantage of (Great Idea).

Here's mine working on version 5.42

Now off to bed.

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 1:02 PM
Very Cool!

But,
It won't pick up the category text color! It stays black, and my text is white.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: nehad Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 3:16 PM
Dear Dave Downin ,

I have UBB 5.42a and i can't know how can i put this hack script in it i mean in ubb_library.pl i can't find "get_cookie" and i don't know what can i do and really i like this script and i hope it work in my ubb please sir help me A.S.A.P

Regards
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 4:26 PM
Add Dave's get_cookie routine after this code. Also replace the entire cookie-lib code with his ge_cookie routine.

sub GetCookieInfo {($junk, $Domain) = split(////, $CGIURL);($TheDomain, @junk) = split(///, $Domain);$ThePath = join("/", @junk);}

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 9:57 PM
How about a little twist on this hack?

How about an option to show X number Members are Browsing the Forums instead of names, and this could be pasted into a site's Front Page or wherever they want to put it?

Possible?
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 10:19 PM
Code
quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NBAustin:
How about a little twist on this hack?

How about an option to show X number Members are Browsing the Forums instead of names, and this could be pasted into a site's Front Page or wherever they want to put it?

Possible?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, very easily done. Add the following code in Ultimate.cgi or wherever you want it:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 11:00 PM
COOL! Thank YOU!!

How can this be used in a non UBB page/script like a Front Page generated page?

PS...I've tried inserting this code (in Ultimate.cgi) and it won't format properly. The entire code is visible, and it doesn't show the # of users.
Posted By: Chickennoodle Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/06/2000 11:13 PM
This hack can be made to work in the freeware version,aslong as you have a cookie hack already installed.

BTW this is a great hack Dave,you have done a supreme job.

Thanks,Chicken
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/07/2000 1:45 AM
Here's some extra guidance for the X number of users browsing in the forums. Maybe it will help someone since I had to twittle around some. Click here to see it on my site

First I replaced Dave's "addon" forumdisplay.cgi code above:

&get_cookie;
$online_url = "$CGIURL/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=$ForumCoded&number=$number&DaysPrune=$DaysPrune&LastLogin=$LastLogin";
if ($LWA ne "private") {
&WriteUserSession("$Forum");
}

With this code

&WriteUserSession("Main Page");
$tot_browsing = @found;
$ForumCoded = &HTMLIFY($Forum);
$ForumCoded =~ tr/ /+/;
&get_cookie;
$online_url = "$CGIURL/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=$ForumCoded&number=$number&DaysPrune=$DaysPrune&LastLogin=$LastLogin";
if ($LWA ne "private") {
}

Note: I did not use the $tot_browsing++ variable, since I am using the option to display myself online. It seems to increment the variable +1

Next, in forumdisplay.cgi find the following code:

$TopicLegend
$ReplyLegend

Replace the above code with

Currently browsing the boards: $tot_browsing registered user(s)

$TopicLegend
$ReplyLegend

Thanks for keying us in on the purpose of those variables Dave.

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/07/2000 2:17 AM
MGN,
Thanks for the help, but i'm confused now. (not a programmer here)

Perhaps it would be helpful to everyone if someone could document this part of the hack for both with and without the "View Self" option, and where to put the proper code in forumdisplay.cgi and ultimate.cgi.

It would be most appreciated.
Again, thanks to all for this GREAT hack!
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/07/2000 3:25 AM
Thanks, but, I actually have little idea of what I'm doing...It wouldn't surprise me if I'm mucking up something. It's hard to learn any other way though. [Linked Image]

Dave's code is based on the default of not showing yourself on-line. My personal feelings is that the final code/documentation should only "show you on-line"..it's much less confusing this way and who cares if you can see yourself, everyone else can.

Anyway, if you read Dave's txt file you can easily see what 1 line of code to delete to make it show yourself on-line in addition to others that can already see you.

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: Slurpee Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/07/2000 3:42 AM
NBA Austin - If you're still having trouble getting the colors to work in the tables, try putting the table and font color commands before the "colspan" tags. Worked for me.

------------------
Webmaster Van Halen Links.com
http://www.vhlinks.com
UBB Moderator
http://www.scriptkeeper.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/07/2000 4:09 AM
Thanks Slurpee!
Posted By: nehad Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/07/2000 4:47 AM
Hello..

I have a big problem in cookies , once when a script need the cookies and wanting to display the name of the member if the name was in english letters it works just fine, but if the name of the member was in arabic letter i get RABISH (some thing not readable).
is there file which i can by pass to avoid this in cookies .
In few words if i want to install the private message code hack at the bottom if the forum appears [MemberName] you have of messages i mean [MemberName] if it was in english letters there is no pproblem but if the member name was in arabic letters i get [un understandable words] (RABISH) like this %34%&43%&%%!36%$%$7& please help me
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/08/2000 2:13 AM
So far this hack is great...
Question:
When you click to see where a member is, it never show anything but "Main Page". Will there be an add-on to show EXACTLY where a member is? Now THAT would be REALLY cool!

Thank you all for the hard work. It's appreciated!
Posted By: Slurpee Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/08/2000 2:52 AM
You can already do that if you place the &writesession code in the right place in the forumdisplay.cgi file. See above, it's explained how to do it there.

------------------
Webmaster Van Halen Links.com
http://www.vhlinks.com
UBB Moderator
http://www.scriptkeeper.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/08/2000 4:26 AM
Thanks again Slurpee.
WOW!! What a hack!!!!

Now the next step.....

How can this be incorporated into a static page such as a web site's front page?

Thanks again to EVERYONE!
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/08/2000 4:44 AM
For all those who have wanted this as a SSI call, I've modified the addon script to be able to be called as a SSI. Grab the script from here:
http://www.arlo.net/ubb/cgi-bin/online.txt

Save it to your CGIDIR, set the permissions properly, and rename it to "online.cgi". Then, open it up and edit the configuration variable ssi (set it = 1). Then, just call it from where ever you want.
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/08/2000 4:51 AM
P.S.
Where do I put this so it shows up in Active Topics? I have some users who go straight there instead of the main forum.

I'm PSYCHED!!!!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!

(I wonder if this can be modified to pin the user down to the THREAD he/she's reading!) [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/08/2000 5:12 AM
NBA - What do you mean by "Where do I put this so it shows up in Active Topics?"

BTW, I have the following just after the configuration variables in my active.cgi script:

Code
code:

If you do this, make sure active.cgi has the require cookie-lib.pl and ubb_library.pl. After this call, you can reference the list of who is online by placing the variable $OnlineUsers elsewhere in the HTML part of the active.cgi script.

As for being able to pin a user down to what thread they are reading... not possible really, since the threads are not dynamically created. It's not impossible (it could be done using SSI calls on the static pages) - but it would add a good bit of overhead to the boards and the script.
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/08/2000 5:58 AM
Thanks Dave,

But, I'm not sure where all this goes. (I'm not a programmer)

Could you guide me thru this please?
Posted By: RangerRob Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/08/2000 1:03 PM
O.k. guys now I love this SSI thing, it works great, what I really want to know is this...
Can you get this to work for other parts of the site? I don't want to know who's currently browsing the boards, I want to let users know how many people are currently in my java chatroom from the main page of my site (and probably also from the boards).
My chatroom is embedded in a page and is therefore static (it will not move URL ever), so really all I need to do is be able to tell the script that I want it to let me know how many people are browsing the .html page that my chatroom is on (because if they are browsing the page then they are automatically in the chatroom).
Is this possible?
Thanks in advance,
Rob [Linked Image]
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/08/2000 6:00 PM
Hey!

I have an idea.

Can a Forum be embedded into Online.cgi so members can post notes to meet in other forums/threads?

I think someone wrote a hack to do this in Ultimate.cgi for unregged members....

I think this could really be an excellent feature!
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/09/2000 10:08 AM
First, great hack! Works good.

I have a problem with the online.cgi not using my background image. Maybe its the wrong variable for the background image? I dunno. If you know the background image variable please let me know. =)

I still couldn't get it to display on the forums though. No idea why. Just doesn't display anything(and I updated the threads, etc.)

------------------
Troy(Trekkan)
RPG-Files Webmaster & Owner
http://www.rpg-files.com
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/10/2000 10:53 AM
hello?

Anyone have answers?

Ps...is there a cookie problem on this site?
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/10/2000 11:14 AM
Yes, there seems to be.

Just a thought [Linked Image]
Posted By: mIkE 2oo0 Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/11/2000 4:33 AM
Ok, i installed the hack as described but it is not working properly. i deleted the one line from the GetOnlineUsers routine so that i would see myself when i am on. buti don't only after i postet a new topic or a reply my name would show up. what wrong? what can i do to fix it? i have version 5.42
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/11/2000 5:38 AM
mIkE 2oo0 - Go in to your preferences and make sure you have it set to remember your username. That should probably solve your problem. Because the way the hack works is it just pulls your cookie info and uses it... so if you don't have it set to remember your username, you won't show up until you post.

Troy - regarding the background image for the online.cgi script... oops. It's looking for it in your CGI directory, so you can either change the code, or just place a copy of your background image in the CGI directory. (I just did a symbolic link).
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/11/2000 7:57 PM
There seems to be a problem with online.cgi.

Today instead of showing March 11..it's showing FEBRUARY 11. All posts and other date references on the board are OK, so i believe the problem lies in online.cgi.

Anyone else getting this bug?
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/11/2000 8:04 PM
Without looking, I'd imagine it's a mistake invloving the 'localtime' command. It returns the month as a zero based index, so you have to increment it.

Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/11/2000 8:06 PM
Yup, that's the problem... find:

($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year,$wday,$yday,$isdst) = localtime($seed);

adn right after it add:

$mon++;

Fixed!
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/11/2000 8:44 PM
I'd just like to congratulate myself on that superb bug-fix [Linked Image]

Posted By: ilya Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/12/2000 4:42 AM
How about making each username a link to his profile? Could be kind of handy to some people.
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/12/2000 3:51 PM
That would be nice. You could have a little table in the popup with the user's row of buttons (profile, mail, pm etc.)

Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/12/2000 7:33 PM
I think I found an incompatability between the Online Users Hack and the Start=here hack.

The Start=here hack seems to cause multiple displays of the online user.

Here's the location of the Start=here hack in case you want to investigate this further.

Start=here hack

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: Kira Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/12/2000 11:48 PM
Dont work with cyrillic MSIE 5.01 Win2k

for example:
%u0414%u0438%u0437%u0430%u0439%u043D%u0435%u0440

this is Äèçàéíåð

in NN 4.72 it prety
Posted By: Dr Dollarz Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/13/2000 12:50 AM
quote:
Good idea!! I'll get to work and see what I come up with
Posted By: repstein Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/13/2000 6:04 AM
Hmmrm some people do not seem to be logged on there. I went on the irc chan and told some people to test it. Some people show up and some don't. Odd

++Russ
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/13/2000 7:35 PM
One final time...

THIS HACK WILL ONLY WORK FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE A COOKIE SET!

That means they either had to select to have their username remembered for a year (from the preferences), or they had to have posted a message, or edited their profile... because these are the only timea the username cookie get's set.
Posted By: TML Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/15/2000 10:48 PM
I get this when i go to my Ultimate.cgi [5.44] :
= qq( Currently Browsing the Boards
TML );

how can I remove = qq( and ); ?

thanks!
[Linked Image]

------------------
[ No mystery is closed to an open mind ]
Posted By: TML Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/15/2000 11:06 PM
great hack BTW [Linked Image]

c-ya

------------------
Posted By: ilya Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/16/2000 2:54 AM
Dave, when are you going to make the hack create a link to user's profile?
Or did i miss that?
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/16/2000 3:43 AM
You missed it. Scrool up and look for Dave's add on hack (online.cgi). I have it on my board.

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: ilya Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/16/2000 6:26 AM
Stupid me, but I still can't find it [Linked Image]
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/18/2000 12:37 PM
Dr Dollarz - how are you doing with my sugested modification?

Posted By: TML Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/18/2000 7:01 PM
sorry 4 bugging , works perfectly [Linked Image]
I didn`t follow the instructions well...

c-ya !

------------------
Posted By: Dr Dollarz Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/18/2000 9:40 PM
You should make it so that on Ultimate.cgi when the users' name appears theres link to their profile.

------------------
Please Join My UBB
Posted By: Parker Clack Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/19/2000 3:52 AM
Dave:

Some of our members don't want to be listed. Any ideas on how to add an option to their profile that would able them to turn off the displaying of their name?

Great hack again.

Parker
Posted By: ilya Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/19/2000 7:01 AM
I agree. That option has to be added!
Also, i think it would be nice to have an option "show my name always online", so the user's name will always be in that list.
I've seen it in some other scripts and really liked the feature [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/19/2000 8:03 AM
Good suggestion... here's what I'll work on when I get a chance. I'll make it a "preference" setting, when people can go there and select to remain "invisible". This should be fairly easy to do. Easier than adding a field in their profile.
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/19/2000 1:14 PM
Ilya - why would someone want to show up as always online? If too many people did this, the online list would get too big and wouldn't mean anything. What am I missing here?

Posted By: Parker Clack Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/19/2000 1:25 PM
Dave:

Nice idea. Would they have to make themselves invisible each time they got on the board then?

Parker
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/19/2000 5:42 PM
It would be better as some kind of profile option, so you were always hidden or always not. Cookie editing time....

Posted By: Mutt Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/19/2000 7:20 PM
ok, i just added tha invisible mode in prefrences using ilya's kick *** hack found here.
http://ubbcodehacking.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000083.html

I didn't realize prefrences were so easy to modify. (thanx ilya)

anyway follow here directions for modifying ubbmisc changing the word 'Signature' with 'invisible'

change the wording how ever you like. here's mine

Code
code:

then jump to sub WriteUserSession in ubb_libray.pl

and throw an if statement around the
push(@online line

like this
Code
code:

thats it
Posted By: ilya Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/19/2000 8:42 PM
Cal: being always online benefits some people.
I've just seen it done on another board (i think, wwwthreads) and kind of liked the idea.
Posted By: ilya Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/19/2000 8:44 PM
Also.
quote:
Cool. My hack is being used to make anothre hack! Wow! [Linked Image] LOL

quote:
No problem. I thought it would be really hard myself, at first, but then just tried and figured it all out so easily
Posted By: Parker Clack Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/19/2000 10:04 PM
I just cannot get this to work. I have added the invisible code but my name shows up whether or not I check invisible or not. And in the listings on the page it is including the name Main Page.

Parker
Posted By: SFishy Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/20/2000 7:39 AM
wow, I hope someone can help -- please understand that I'm not a programmer and this kind of stuff drives me just slightly nutso [Linked Image]

My first question... I got this hack to work displaying on Ultimate.cgi the people browsing that page and forumdisplay.cgi. I'd like it to also register people who are currently posting or replying -- can someone tell me where to add the right code and exactly the code to add?

My second question... I don't want to display this on Ultimate.cgi... I only want this information accessible to mods and admin so I though if I could add it to the IP page that would be cool. Not knowing much about perl I tried adding the hack-code from ultimate.cgi to posting.cgi (in the right area) but it did not display the people online... the list was blank (not even saying "there is currently no one else around"). What would I have to do to get it to work in this area?

One more thing... I grabbed the companion script and did exactly what the instructions said... but I'm getting an internal server error when I try to look at it. This is really the least of my problems (hehe) but I'm just wondering why this could be. Ideas?

By the way... I'm the creator of the [Linked Image] smilie -- glad everyone seems to get a kick out of it [Linked Image] <-- (hehe, I made the tongue guy too)

Thanks for a great hack!

------------------
Amy http://www.something-fishy.com/
Posted By: ilya Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/20/2000 7:54 AM
quote:
Are you serious? Great smilies!!!

Sorry, but I can't help you about the hacks. [Linked Image]

------------------
Thanks for reading!
Ilya
Administrator of Ubb Code Hackers Hideout
Moderator of UBB Hacks Finished
Posted By: SFishy Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/20/2000 8:32 AM
hey ilya... yeah, I'm serious [Linked Image] -- and thanks!

By the way... forget all my silly questions... I figured them ALL out and it seems to be working great so far!

Thanks again for the awesome hack!

------------------
Amy
http://www.something-fishy.com/
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/20/2000 11:27 AM
Very nice smilies - do you know how many people use them? Wow.

Posted By: SFishy Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/20/2000 12:14 PM
hard to say really... I had put a bunch in the graphics forum over on the Infopop's UBB board and Ted had also asked permission to use some of them in the officially released copy. [Linked Image] has become the one I see most on other boards because it's a standard that comes with UBB now. As for the others, who knows LOL -- over in my own UBB I've got at least 30 custom smilies that my members absolutely love!

Anyone interested... here's the links where I originally shared my smilies: http://www.scriptkeeper.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000283.html
and http://www.scriptkeeper.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000411.html

Enjoy 'm [Linked Image]

------------------
Amy
Posted By: Parker Clack Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/20/2000 1:36 PM
Ok, I have put the lines in the ubbmisc.cgi file as required but when I put the code in for the change in the cookie section of the ubb_library file I can still see my own name listed wether I have the invisibility enabled
or not.

Anyone that has this working want to post the code they used in the places they put it in so I can see where I screwed up?

Thanks,
Parker
Posted By: Sally Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/21/2000 1:43 AM
SFishy- wow! [Linked Image]

btw, how did you get it to work for just the mods and admins?
Posted By: SFishy Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/21/2000 9:25 AM
I'll warn ya ahead of time -- I'm terrible when it comes to documenting hacks, so most of this comes from memory [Linked Image]

Basically, what I did was instead of added the following code to Ultimate.cgi, I added a variation to posting.cgi.

Find:

Code
code:

and right after it add:

Code
code:

What this does is add a link to the online.cgi add-on script from the page where IP's are displayed. Now that assumes that you don't have IP's publicly displayed of course, and that only admins and mods can view that info. So when you click on "IP Logged" from a post you're asked for a password before proceeding. Really, you could stick this link anywhere on the board you want, but since we didn't want it to be public info, we hid it in an admin/mod area. [Linked Image]

So far I'm seem to be successfully tracking members who are posting, replying, viewing forums or the main page, searching, reading bios or editing their own, or editing preferences. I'd LOVE to be able to trace at least somewhat the people who are reading posts. I don't necessarily want to know WHAT post or where, but just that they are in a thread reading something. Any ideas on this Dave?

------------------
Amy
Posted By: DeathKnight Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/22/2000 5:33 AM
I just installed this script on my board which is 5.43 it works very well
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/22/2000 6:44 PM
Amy - I think it would be possible if your thread pages were set up to parse SSI calls. It would also require an additional program or piece of code that you would call.
Posted By: Highlander Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/27/2000 12:58 AM
I am getting persons-name[]persons-name
from the forum display... main page and online.cgi read fine....?
Posted By: eskiom Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/27/2000 12:55 PM
Not sure this is correct...I see nicks of ppl showing at my Who;s Online, that never register in my forum b4...is this normal?
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/27/2000 12:59 PM
That shouldn't happen - what do you mean?

Posted By: Highlander Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/27/2000 3:02 PM
Still need answer to mine... looks like the cookie info is doubling...
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/27/2000 3:19 PM
Highlander, that happens on this board aswell. I haven't seen a fix for it yet.

Posted By: eskiom Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/27/2000 5:10 PM
What I mean was..

EG. on the Who's Online, it show these few nicks..abc, 123, def..

all of them are not member or never register with the forum b4...but they just posted something.

is this normal? and also, I was doing some testing...I user a non registered nick..ZZZ, and post a msg..then go back to the main page..in the Private msg feature..I see ZZZ- you got no new mail.
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/27/2000 6:13 PM
That's odd - has this happedned to anyone else?

Posted By: hunter Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/28/2000 12:40 AM
How do you show when someone who has not registered, but just lurking show up on who's online?

hunter
Posted By: PoliticsForum.Com Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/28/2000 1:30 AM
can this "Who is On Line be used on a none CGI file such as the index.html and be called via SSI?

------------------
I long for a friend more intelligent than me
Posted By: pgowder Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/30/2000 8:12 PM
I have online.cgi working, but it only shows the "Main Board". How can I show what forum the user is in?

Did I missed it??

thanks
Posted By: dLo aZn Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/31/2000 3:12 AM
I'm having a problem. http://www.pokemonabode.com/cgi-bin/online.cgi I put in a fresh, non-edited script. I just saved it and uploaded it in ASCII, CHMODed to 755, and it just shows an error. What's going on? what am I doing wrong?
Posted By: dLo aZn Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/31/2000 3:42 AM
Ah, I found the problem. If you have the versions that you have to edit cookie-lib.pl instead of ubb_library.pl, you MUST find:
Code
code:

and ADD

Code
code:

Otherwise, it WILL NOT work for those of you with older versions (I believe it is anything under 5.44).
Posted By: dLo aZn Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/31/2000 11:00 AM
Check out my online.cgi, http://www.pokemonabode.com/cgi-bin/online.cgi
I made it so it tells the reader where the user is and what they are doing (i.e. if they are posting in one forum, or reading another). Nice concept, eh?
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/31/2000 11:09 AM
Very "big brother", but nice.

Posted By: ilya Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/31/2000 7:00 PM
It would be realy nice to add 2 things to this hack:
1) Option to select whether your name should be shown in the list or not
2) Link to the profile.
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/31/2000 7:24 PM
And what about a link to the user's last post?

Posted By: BiLL Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/03/2000 10:04 PM
nice hack!!
Posted By: dLo aZn Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/13/2000 2:40 AM
Wierd, on the onlinelist it says it's March. Why??? It does the same on this UBB's list, too.
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/13/2000 2:07 PM
Hi!

I've got a serious problem:
I installed the Who's omline hack and everything is working fine.

BUT: The "new post"-indicator (on.gif / off.gif) always shows ON (new topics) for all boards on the main page, since the crack was installed and went online.

Can you please help me?!
Posted By: twice Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/18/2000 7:36 PM
I just read this thread (again) and though I have gotten a number of problems solved with it, and gotten this awesome hack to work fine, I've seen a question that I would love to have answered:

I'm with that guy that has the chat room. A static .html page that I'd like to include in what online.cgi tracks. Can this be done? If so, what code do I need to put where?

I've found that people don't want to go into the chat room unless they know there's people already in it. (kooky people!)

I believe this would be useful to a lot of folks.

Thanks!

-twice
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/18/2000 10:27 PM
Why dont you use SSI?
Posted By: icEFusioN Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/18/2000 11:04 PM
Hey dLo aZn...can ya post how you did that? (Made it so you can see what they are doing)
Posted By: twice Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/18/2000 11:52 PM
quote:
I'm not sure what it would involve. If you mean use the SSI functionality of online.cgi, I thought that just gave you "There are X members and X guests online

I'm talking about tracking another page that has nothing to do with the boards.

check it out: http://utbooty.unrealism.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

The chat link is in the OnlineUserMsg

-twice
Posted By: Jaxel Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 3:48 AM
I added a little feature that records the record for highest users on at the same time

add this right above
$onlinemessage = qq(<....
Code
code:

then place $onlinemax where you want in Ultimate.cgi

------------------
http://www.upnetwork.com/
http://bbs.upnetwork.com/
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 2:39 PM
quote:
Could you please post this code? Thanks in Advance!
Posted By: Dr Dollarz Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 3:51 PM
Yo listen up

quote:

yes yes please post it

------------------
"Yo listen up" is a trademark of Dr. D Corp. Whoever violates this law will be beaten with a large lead pipe.
Posted By: Jaxel Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 4:25 PM
check out my list, it gives their location and a link back to them! http://bbs.upnetwork.com/cgi-bin/online.cgi

would you like to know how I did it? put the codes after the require statements

in forumdisplay.cgi [this one should also be after the foreach row(@in)]
Code
code:

in posting.cgi [this one should also be after the foreach row(@in)]
Code
code:

in memberlist.cgi
Code
code:

in search.cgi
Code
code:

in ubbmisc.cgi
Code
code:

Ultimate.cgi already has the info if you installed before, but you can edit it to anyway you like. This one is mine
Code
code:

------------------
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 7:17 PM
Ok, I've added the max count to the install instructions, and modified the online.cgi script to use it! Again, I did things a little differently than Jaxel. Rather than create another file (which takes extra processor time and resources) I just modified the routines to use the first line in the "online.cgi" file that gets created in the members directory. And in addition to keeping just the max count it logs the time and date when that count was recorded.

To upgrade to the latest version is simple... just grab the new routines from my install instructions and put them in your "ubb_library.pL" in place of the old ones. Then grab the latest version of my "online.cgi" script.
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 7:58 PM
quote:
So it goes after the require statements at the top and after the foreach routine in every script?
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 9:13 PM
Sometimes I see like double logins? Anyone know why? This is what I see.

White KnightWhite Knight - There are 2 other members, and 1 guest on the boards.
Posted By: twice Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 9:57 PM
Jaxel,

You're directions are confusing.

You don't have to edit online.cgi at all?

I tried your code and nothing changed. (v5.44)

NBAustin - I think he means that his code has to come after the (@IN) statement. But I dunno... cuz no workie!

-twice
Posted By: twice Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 10:06 PM
scratch that... something changed. I could no longer get into all of my forums! It screwed up the links from Ultimate.cgi to the Forumdisplay.cgi somehow.

Beats me... I think I'll wait on this one.
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 10:31 PM
For where to put the call in forumdisplay.cgi, I posted that information much earlier in this thread. Look here:

http://ubbcodehacking.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000020-2.html
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 10:35 PM
Anyone have updated instructions with all the new stuff in it?
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2000 10:42 PM
There's now like 5 different threads on this hack, so I thought I'd try and post the latest information on this hack here:

My install instructions have been updated, and now include the following features:

• now logs guests
  • includes support for user selectable invisibility
  • removes guest entry when a guest gets a cookie
  • keeps a record of the largest number online at once - and when it occured
  • you can set it up to include yourself in the listing or not
  • instructions include information on where to put the call in forumdisplay.cgi
  • ability to select who (admins, mods, anyone) can see invisible users and host/ip information
  • addon script now displays a message if no one else is around - rather than just the table headers

The current version of the files can be found here:

Install Instructions - http://www.arlo.net/ubb/whoonline.txt
Who's Online addon script - http://www.arlo.net/ubb/cgi-bin/online.txt

To upgrade from a prior version, all you probably need to do is replace the subroutines in ubb_library.pl and grab the latest version of the addon script!
Posted By: ThEcRoW Re: Who's Currently Online - 09/10/2000 11:08 PM
I had this hack working fine on 5.45c. I have upgraded to 5.46 and I can't get it to work, all I get is a blank white page.

Any ideas ????

Thanks

------------------
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/20/2000 5:03 AM
Jaxel,

Great post! It works Sooooooo Good [Linked Image]

Dave,

For that maxtotal variable, is that stored in a file? It doesn't look like it. I want to make sure I make the message correct. Right now it says Most Simultaneous Users: $maxtotal

Would it be more correct if it said Most Simultaneous Users since server reboot: $maxtotal

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/20/2000 5:38 AM
Michael,

My code is different than Jaxel's code... I chose to store not only the max users, but the time and date it occured. It's always the first line of "online.cgi" in the members directory. So, it's a lifetime total - not since server reboot.

I've also updated my addon script to use and display this information... but if you use Jaxel's code (for the max user count), it won't work with my script.

I chose to do it differently because I didn't want another file hanging around, and the way I coded it, it's slightly more efficient. It doesn't have to bother opening another file and checking... it does it all while logging someone.

Also, I'm not sure where Jaxel's code goes... but if it's in Ultimate.cgi, it could be inacurate, because it will only update the count when someone hits that page.
Posted By: DJLunacy Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/20/2000 4:34 PM
Stupid question, can i use this with V5.38c?

Thanks

DJ
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/20/2000 4:53 PM
Yep uploaded it Ascii found out that it was calling my header and footer which didnt exist. thus it pop in what ever was in memory and spewed out the stuff before the body and after.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/20/2000 5:42 PM
quote:
Anyone know exactly where that code is supposed to go?
Posted By: Dark_Wizard Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/20/2000 11:19 PM
I'm currently experiencing problems with the hack...if I set it up for $OnlineUsers instead of $OnlineUsermsg I get the following:
Currently Browsing the Boards (5) (Most Simultaneous Users: 4)
Karnivore, Karnivore, Karnivore, and 1 guestand 1 guests,
I checked the cookie issue and everything seems to be in order...can anyone help? Please? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Jaxel Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 4:31 AM
I have been trying to fix this, but I have been unable to figure anything out...

with the online list, what it does is after around 20-30 minutes it's records get cleaned out and it starts anew...

I've been looking to see where this is set up, but I haven't found out.

I want to be able to set it so that it cleans it records only ONCE a day at 3:00 AM.

Can someone help me?

------------------
Posted By: Web King Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 4:59 AM
I ve tried to use $OnlineUsers instead of $OnlineUsermsg I got my name repeated 3 times like this web king, web king, web king

The Old Codes worked fine when I used V. 5.42a , now I have upgraded to 5.45c then reuse the code, but it is updated and wont work well. That s the ONLY problem I m experiencing.

Please Help

I want to be able to have the following:
For example:

Mike B, Brianx, Johnny, Coolkid, and 3 Guests.

Can you help anyone ?
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 9:49 AM
my ubb is running version 5.45a and this is what i got when i installed the who's online hack : http://mobilezone.hypermart/cgi-bin/online.cgi
Can somebody help??? Thanks in advance!!!
Posted By: twice Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 9:53 AM
I finally got it and a few addons installed and working. I think this is one of those situations where there's too many people editing the same code. But that defeats the purpose of the forums... sooo... I'll just say: GREAT HACK!

-twice http://utbooty.unrealism.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimat.cgi
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 5:37 PM
I will support my code, since I started this hack. I have built in the same features that others have added, and am open to suggestion regarding new features.

If you install this hack from MY directions and use my addon script, and it doesn't work I'm willing to help... but if you try to piece my code together with Mutt, or Jazel, or anyone elses code... you are just asking for trouble.

The reason my code will not work with anyone else's code is because I like to do my own coding (it's easier to support).

So, if you follow my instructions, and it doesn't work, let me know!
Posted By: Dark_Wizard Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 7:10 PM
David, I'm asking for your help!
quote:
Let me know what you think. I am using your code right from your post with no other addon or hack to it. I am running 5.45a if that helps.
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 8:02 PM
Ok, thanks... I've fixed the problem of the OnlineUsers variable showing your username over and over again. Sorry about that. I've also started a change log on my install instructions page to let you know what has been changed and when.

To fix the problem, just replace the "GetOnlineUsers" subroutine with the new one in the instructions.
Posted By: Dark_Wizard Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 8:26 PM
Thank you it now works!!!!
Posted By: muted girl Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 9:36 PM
I'm having a few minor problems with all of this [Linked Image]

First, when I enter the boards, it calls me 'Guest', which I'm not. But once I enter and forum and then click on the main image at the top to reload the main forum summary page, it calls me by my username. Any ideas why??

Also- if I want to add the cookie to other pages (like memberlist, etc), how and where do I add it? I've tried a few things, but when I reload Member List, I get nothing but a blank page. help?

Thanks in advance..
Posted By: NSA Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 9:57 PM
*Note: It is working on the online.cgi, however it is not listing the # of people browsing on the main page. :

Okay I guess it is the $totalcount is not working right. [Linked Image] I tried putting it $OnlineUsers in its place, but it also did nothing. It looks like the routines in ubb_library.pl are not working, or being implimented correctly in my case. The online.cgi works perfectly, but for some reason the implimentation in Ultimate.cgi is not being carried out.

Any ideas?

------------------
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 11:40 PM
NSA - Looks like you don't have the &WriteUserSession call in Ultimate.cgi so the variables aren't being set. online.cgi works because it does make that call.

muted girl - just a guess... do you have the &WriteUserSession calls in BOTH places in Ultimate.cgi? That could explain why it doesn't work on the first call.
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/21/2000 11:48 PM
For all those who are wondering, I took a fresh copy of UBB 5.45c this morning and installed the hack from my directions and it worked fine! So, chances are if you are having problems getting it working you missed something, forgot to upload it in ASCII, or are having a conflict with another hack!
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 3:44 AM
Another idea for you Dave via a comment by MichaelF of Info-Pop.

Some large UBBs may get bogged down processing the gethostbyaddr. Since you are the master of flexibilty in hacks and for completeness of the hack for boards already under heavy load, recommend that a "NONE" variable be added that bypasses the gethostbyaddr and just displays the Guest #1, Guest #2...etc

By the way that discussion with MichaelF is here . I hope you do not mind me keeping his interest and only assuming what can and can not be done and what he is talking about (I only guessed it was the gethostbyaddr process). Maybe you could figure out how you can market this with him and get some Walk Around Money (WAM).

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 5:18 AM
Michael, thanks for passing along that info... I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Anyway, the script has been updated to do exactly that. A "none" option has been added. In addition, it will now only do the hostname lookups if the critera set is matched (admin, mods, etc). I've also added version notes to the script to try and keep track of things.

Just wondering... should I move all the configuration out of the "online.cgi" script and into a seperate config file? I'm not sure or not if that is really necessary though... but with the rate things are changing, new updates are made often. I mean, it is BETA code. Hopefully, soon it will reach a point where updates are rarely done.
Posted By: Dr Dollarz Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 5:21 AM
Dave, I never got to compliment u on the script, nice job

------------------
Want a free 1-877 number? Just email me and I will send you an email from a company that gives it to you free! Whoever fails to email me will be beaten with a large lead pipe.
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 5:50 AM
Thanks! It was pretty fun to write... I can't claim credit for the idea. I saw it here first, and got tired of waiting for it to materialize!
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 5:55 AM
Dave,

I've done what you told me but still those thing pursue what should i do next??? Please help.
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 6:00 AM
mobilzone - please grab the latest version of "online.cgi" (1.8), it contains a piece of code that may fix your problem... I noticed you were still using version 1.6.
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 6:04 AM
Dave,

sorry but where do i get this ver 1.8???
Posted By: muted girl Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 6:14 AM
Dave- when you say 'BOTH' places, what do you mean? I have it in the file twice, but it's one right after another:
Code
code:

like that. Is that what you mean? Or do I need to put in another place?

..thanks [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ripper Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 8:36 AM
Hey Dave, where can I get v1.8 too? I downloaded from where your instructions said to and got v1.6

Also, I wanted to know if you could help me with a problem. Everything seems to be working on the message board but when I click the link to go to online.cgi it gives my an Internal Server error.

I am running 5.39 and I did the cookies thing the way you said but I can't seem to get it to work. I'm new to cgi so was I supposed to put those 2 subs at the end of ubb_library.pl?
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 4:36 PM
my problem is that the html output isn't outputting right. when i click on the link "currently browsing the boards" all i get is a white page with "1 guests"

is there something i missed editing?

thanks in advance for help
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 6:54 PM
Sorry about the outdated link for the online.cgi script. For some reason my symlinks keep breaking. The link should now take you to version 1.8 of the script:

http://www.arlo.net/ubb/cgi-bin/online.txt
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 7:47 PM
Cool! Mine is updated to version 1.8

Ripper,

It sounds like you did not update the shabang path (1st line of online.cgi) or the require statements path for your configuration.

Discordant,

Do you have SSI = 1? Set it to 0 and see what that does.

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 9:11 PM
Jaxel,
you have this code posted twice. Bothe for forumdisplay.cgi and postings.cgi

&get_cookie;$location_name = "Reading on $Forum";$online_url = "$CGIURL/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=$ForumCoded&number=$number&DaysPrune=$DaysPrune&LastLogin=$LastLogin";&WriteUserSession("$location_name");

They should be different shouldn't they?

I know one says "Posting on" and one says "Reading on", but shouldn't the code be different?

Shouldn't the one for postings.cgi have "CGIURL/postings.cgi?action=....(Either reply or new topic)...etc?

IE: "Posting a new topic on...." and "Posting a reply on..." It needs both dont you think?

Also, my Who's Online will not show "Reading on..." for some reason.
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 10:38 PM
thanks Dave,

Must agree that the v 1.8 works like charm!!!
got no problems in 5.45a ubb!!! once again thanks for helping!!!
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 11:11 PM
NBAustin,

Here is what I am doing with the postings.cgi file and it seems to work great:

To see it in action, look here

After sub Reply {

add this:

Code
code:

After sub PrepForEdit {

add this

Code
code:

After sub PostReply {

add this:

Code
code:

After sub NewTopic {

add this:

Code
code:

After sub PostTopic {

add this:

Code
code:

After sub DoTheEdit {

add this:

Code
code:

Okay I'm sure there is a better way to do this, but using the subs is the best way. You could also do the same for "delete topic sub", I do not enable it so no need to modify it.

So what do you all think?

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 11:26 PM
Michael,

I see nothing wrong with where you have them in postings.cgi, and it should work fine. The only thing is, peopl should be aware that putting them there will show people posting in private forums and stuff... which is something I'd rather not have people knowing who has access to them. If that doesn't concern you, then that's probably a good place to put them!
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 11:36 PM
Hi Dave,

I do not have private forums enabled. I agree if you do have private forums additional coding and placement is crucial.

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/22/2000 11:48 PM
Thanks Michael. I had it right. It's working fine. I appreciate your help.
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/23/2000 12:08 AM
Works great!

NOW....

How do we get it to show people either performing a search, or reading "Today's Active Topics"?

and....how about it showing a guest registering...reading the FAQ...etc?
Posted By: Music Global Network Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/23/2000 12:13 AM
Cool, I'm glad to help out. It should switch from area to area really well that way. Having a couple static IP accounts helped me debug it. I would try and get that private forum issue solved, but I have to pack up now and go to Hawaii. However, I am sure I left the baseline code in good hands here on the Code Hackers Hideout. I bet by the time I come back, there will probably be 5 or more cool addons or enhancements [Linked Image]

------------------
Michael Butterfield
Music Global Network
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/23/2000 12:25 AM
quote:

The man sure knows how to make somebody jealous... have a good trip.

------------------
Allen

- http://www.stand318.com
Posted By: Alien Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/23/2000 3:22 AM
Hey Dave,

Just wanted to extend a thank you for this excellent script! Now updated to the newest version (1.8), on 5.45b, and all is working perfectly here. Maybe you should take a vacation to Hawaii too. [Linked Image] You deserve it!

------------------
Administrator
Alien Soup Forums
http://www.aliensoup.com/cgi-bin/forums/Ultimate.cgi
Posted By: DJLunacy Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/23/2000 3:29 AM
Please help I installed your code V1.8 and in the main page it shows up when i click on the who is online this is what i get

Invalid header: Unknown or unsupported header

Script output was:
Undefined subroutine &main::get_cookie called at online.cgi line 106.
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/23/2000 5:26 AM
music global: that was EXACTLY it, thank you very much
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/23/2000 6:38 AM
DJLunacy - what version of UBB are you running. If your ubb_library.pl does not have the "get_cookie" subroutine in it, you'll need to add the following line with the other requires at the beginning of any script that you put a "&WriteUserSession" call in:

require "cookie-lib.pl"
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/23/2000 9:57 AM
Hi Dave,

I have installed this hack off of a local file at http://www.mrwebb.net/ubbhacks/ but I have not been able to connect to your site at all. The version of the hack that I have is great and all but the whole deal, especially with what the Pokemon guy did would be ideal. Any idea why I can't connect to your site? Any chance that I could talk someone into e-mailing me the txt directions?

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Cygnus

http://www.cygnus-study.com
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/23/2000 7:58 PM
consider the instructions emailed to you.

i also included the latest version of online.cgi just incase you didn't have it
Posted By: DJLunacy Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/23/2000 8:48 PM
quote:
Posted By: snook789 Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/24/2000 2:08 AM
Dave,

Just wanted to thanks. Very easy to follow! I have only had my board for a couple of days and was able to install this hack the first time! [Linked Image]
[font]
Just one questions about this..
# Who do you want to see ip/host information?
# Options available are: admin, mods, both, everyone, none
# Setting this to anything other than 'none' MAY drastically increase the
# load on your server.

$display_host = "both";
[/font]

I set mine to "none" just because of what you said, but was wondering what the options mean

Thanks! Tim
Posted By: icEFusioN Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/24/2000 2:49 AM
Admin = Only admins can see IP/Host info
Mods = Only mods can see IP/Host info (??)
Both = Both admins and mods can see IP/Host info
Everybody = Anybody can see IP/Host info
None = Noone can see IP/Host info
Posted By: dLo aZn Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/24/2000 4:13 AM
I have a small problem. I have two online.cgi's installed, online.cgi and online2.cgi. online.cgi functions as a normal online.cgi, while online2.cgi is the SSI one, and I include it in a small bar over my UBB nav bar, and it refreshes every 20 seconds. Only problem is, every time it refreshes, it writes the user as "reading the onlinelist", as it would if you were reading the normal online.cgi. I tried removing the
Code
code:
but the script then just shows nothing. How do I stop online2.cgi from writing the user session? THanks!

------------------
http://mb.pokemonabode.com
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/25/2000 7:40 PM
Dave Downin,

I must say this is one of the best hacks. And I really appreciate you taking the time to fix the minor bugs here and there. Its very easy to install.

You may want to put in the online.txt file that its been updated on a newer date. right now it still says 2/11/00 or something.

Great Job and keep it up!
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/25/2000 7:53 PM
Dave Downin,

I dont know what you did to fix the cookie problem. But you fixed all my cookie problems. PM works without duplicate names and everything. Thanks Dave!

Ohhh yeah quick idea. I dont know how much more you want to code into this. But how about having the users location also in the who is online. Also since there is a log of how many visiters. How about total visitors?

Just a idea [Linked Image] Thanks again Dave.
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/26/2000 7:51 AM
AWSOME!!!
That is all I can say,
Haven't worked on my forum in months.
Now the Hacks are great.
I installed the Who's Online hack in minutes and it works great.

Kudos

Grumbling http://www.eliteleagues.com

------------------
Nothing But Grim Determination...
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/26/2000 11:09 PM
Hi, I have been following this forum for about 3 months already and learned much of it, also had the errors with double names but that's solved too with latest release but here's what I get now:

After adding the first one, everything worked except the double name thing

now I upgraded it and the script works but ALL my msgs have the icon that they are new, and all the forums' Light are lit stating they have new msgs.

Maybe this has come before, but how do I fix this?

plz help would be appreciated.

If you want to test it at the forum itself, here it is: http://hammer.prohosting.com/~pandora0/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

It's at prohosting = Slow but something for ppl who don't have their ow server nor the money to buy webhosting

Plz help me, because I love this hack and would like to have it to work without messing up the rest of the script.

Thanks
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/27/2000 1:18 AM
Redneck - I've heard of this problem, and I'm not sure what the cause of it is, because I don't have that problem on my forums. I know that this site had that problem for a while, but now it seems to be fixed. If anyone knows what the deal is, I'd love to hear how you solved it. (It's kinda hard to fix something that you can't duplicate).
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/27/2000 1:53 AM
I never got this problem either.
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/27/2000 12:45 PM
quote:

Helios, does it works with you already now? if yes how have you fixed it?

Thanks
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/27/2000 4:03 PM
holy monkey!

Okay, I've spent the past hour reading this entire topic and I just tried installing Dave's the hack today. So I'm guessing I have the latest version of everything.

And since I'ma complete moron, I can't get it to work. Although my problem was similar to others, it's not quite the same. I'm sure it's simple and I'm going to feel even more idiotic, but it don't think it's as simple as "uploading in ASCII and setting my premissions" because I've already done that, twice.

Firstly, on the "main page" I get this "Guest - There are no members, and 1 guest on the boards." Why am I being seen as a Guest?

And secondly, when I click on the link I get a 500 error. I know this mean my premissions aren't set right, but I swear I have. Unless they're suppose to be something *other* than 755? Or maybe not 755 at all?

I dunno. I'm so confused. Anyone willing to help? Please?
http://littleginsu.net/ubb/

Oh! Okay. When I posted a msg on my board it then recognized me. However, I cleared my History and Temporary Internet File and now it doesn't know who I am. Is this just something that happens to everyone, or have I *really* messed things up? help!
------------------
spoo
Posted By: OpalCat Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/28/2000 6:11 AM
I'm an even bigger loser. I installed it tonight (so I assume I have the recent versions) but when I tried to access my forum I just got "Document contains no data" [Linked Image] and
Undefined subroutine &main::WriteUserSession called at Ultimate.cgi line 140.
Undefined subroutine &main::WriteUserSession called at Ultimate.cgi line 133.
Undefined subroutine &main::WriteUserSession called at forumdisplay.cgi line 331.

In my error logs.....

ideas? I only did the basic install... ubb_library.pl, Ultimate.cgi, and forumdisplay.cgi

I checked to make sure those scripts had the
require "ubb_library.pl" line

Right now I am reverted back to the previous code because I didn't want my board down.
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/28/2000 4:34 PM
k solved my prob [Linked Image]

deleted the cookie of UBB on my hd and everything works back

very weird
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/28/2000 4:45 PM
OpalCat - did you follow my instructions and install the 2 subroutines (and replace one) in ubb_library.pl? Doesn't sound like you did...
Posted By: Badger Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/28/2000 6:20 PM
This topic is getting long, 192 posts, thats the longest I've ever seen in UBB
Posted By: cal Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/28/2000 7:00 PM
That's tiny. I know a post with over 100 pages.

Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/28/2000 8:52 PM
Any suggestiongs for me?

------------------
spoo
Posted By: Badger Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/28/2000 10:18 PM
Whoa! 100 pages? Thats long, how many posts was that?
Posted By: dLo aZn Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/29/2000 3:08 AM
Still waiting for help...

Code
quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dLo aZn:
I have a small problem. I have two online.cgi's installed, online.cgi and online2.cgi. online.cgi functions as a normal online.cgi, while online2.cgi is the SSI one, and I include it in a small bar over my UBB nav bar, and it refreshes every 20 seconds. Only problem is, every time it refreshes, it writes the user as "reading the onlinelist", as it would if you were reading the normal online.cgi. I tried removing the <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:
but the script then just shows nothing. How do I stop online2.cgi from writing the user session? THanks!

------------------
http://mb.pokemonabode.com
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/29/2000 7:28 PM
whoop!

No more internal server error, but my cookies are still screwed up. [Linked Image]

Any suggestiongs? Please?

------------------
spoo
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/29/2000 10:58 PM
I tried installing the hack..and what I got is that it puts the "Online Users" section that is supposed to go at the bottom of the forum at every 'section' of the main page.

It's kind of hard to explain, so just check it out here: http://forums.ttlg.com

This is my 'experimenting' forum, I don't want to screw up my actual forum, so please let me know what needs to be fixed. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/29/2000 11:52 PM
Gawain.... looks like you've got the code in Ultimate.cgi in the wrong place... check the directions and where you put it!
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/30/2000 1:33 AM
So... I guess this means no one's up for helping me?

It's not like I haven't been looking around and using the serach function because I am. I've tried every suggestion I was able to find and understand and still no luck. I know you guys are probably sick of answering the same stupid questions over and over again, but could you at least take a look and point me in the right direction. Thanks. [Linked Image]

------------------
spoo
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/30/2000 2:48 AM
Thanks, I redid it and it works!

However, one more thing -- how come it shows me as "guest"?

I mean, it says:
"Guest - There are 14 members, and 16 other guests on the boards."

Also, how do I remove the IP address listing on the guest's on the online.cgi page? I want to conserve their privacy... sorry, I'm not that much of a perl/cgi guy -- I'm an ASP guy. [Linked Image]

Is there a solution to these? Thanks again for your help.
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/02/2000 5:29 AM
Greetings -

I am running 5.45c and I attempted to install this hack (which is the best hack so far). I am getting a blank page when I try to connect to the ubb. I followed your instructions to the T, but I usually did something silly like added a ) or forgot a ;. I have read about 100 of these pages and found nothing. I am running it on my own server (iis5.0) and played around with the print switch that you suggested. Just for giggles I put in 1 modified file at a time to try and pinpoint the page with the error in it, but each page seperately would bring up a blank page. If any of you have any suggestions, please let me know. I will give it a shot from scratch soon, but there is always hope.

joor
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/02/2000 9:13 AM
Okay. I'm new at all this CGI stuff, so bear with me.

I've added all the code for this hack to the appropriate places. Ultimate.cgi, ubb_library.pl, forumdisplay.cgi and cookie-lib.pl have all been edited properly, as far as I can see.

online.txt was uploaded and renamed to online.cgi, and the permissions set right.

It works, until someone clicks on the "Currently Browsing.." link...then I get a 500 error.

Oh...my server needs the .shtml extension.

Now, did I miss something, and am I completely clueless?

Any help would be really REALLY good. [Linked Image]

------------------
Tony
Posted By: Highlander Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/03/2000 9:00 PM
Mine is a wierd problem... every once in a while the online.cgi resets itself...

I was watching it today, and all of a sudden this date comes up... December 31 1969... no guests or ip's beside it, and then bam... the max number restarts.... And I used this hack exclusivly on 5.45a

any ideas why this is happening?
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/05/2000 4:44 PM
Quick question:

Where would I put the code to show a guest "Registering for the Forum" in Ultimate.cgi?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/05/2000 7:18 PM
Update alert: Both the install instructions and the online.cgi script have been updated. To the instructions I added a small section on how to get the system to log WHICH topic people are reading. All it requires is that your thread files are parsing SSI calls (it's left up to you to see that they are). One line of code (the SSI call) gets added to "ubb_library2.pl".

Then just download the new version of "online.cgi" and you are in business. I've got it working on my site now!
Posted By: Squall14 Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/06/2000 6:05 AM
still can't get it work...
get a "500 intenal server error" after click on the "Currently Browsing the Boards" link... [Linked Image]

------------------
Squall14
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/06/2000 6:17 AM
Dave Downin - Thank you so much for adding this. Where would I go about making my server setup for SSI? My server is right next to me so I can do it all my self, running win2k IIS 5.0. I have a feeling it is already going, but could you point me somewhere. As for now, I am going to try it anyway.
Posted By: Dave Downin Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/06/2000 7:28 AM
joor - I can't really tell you how to set your server up... I'm only familiar with Apache under UNIX.

There is a problem with this new addition though... it doesn't work quite right. No matter what it logs you as a guest when you are reading a topic. I need to figure a way around this. Apparently when calling the script by SSI the script doesn't have access to the cookies. If anyone else knows a way around this I'd love to hear it.
Posted By: Geronimo Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/06/2000 7:30 AM
Dave,

Would you mind posting the links to the Instructions again? I have already read through this entire board once to get it working to begin with (and it rocks by the way!), and it would be appreciated if you could ease our pain and not make us re-read all these posts for the URL. Thx bunches
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/15/2000 1:37 AM
Works great, but now either the number of users online nor their usernames appear on the main-screen. i installed another 'whos online'-hack before, maybe there are still any errors in the script? online.cgi works fine! great hack!
thanks,
chris
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/15/2000 10:17 AM
In this particular version, on the front page (Ultimate.cgi), the number of users should appear, but the names do not. The names appear on the online.cgi file.

An example of this is here and on my site.

------------------
Allen

Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/15/2000 9:30 PM
I'm sorry, the number of users don't appear on the frontpage. maybe someone would like to have a short look and explain me the error?

Here's my script in ultimate.cgi:
(http://elektrophunk.com/userbin/Ultimate.Cgi)

sub ForumTableTop1 {

if ($BypassCookie eq "true") {
$LastLoginTime = "";
}

if ($category ne "") {
$CategoryLine = qq(Alle Kategorien );
$CategoryName = &GetCatName($category);
$ForumHeader = "Kategorie: $CategoryName";
$LastLoginTime = $MemberLine;
} else {
$ForumHeader = "Forum";
$CategoryLine = $MemberLine;
}

$onlinelink = qq(
OnLineCheck ($totalcount)

$OnlineUserMsg
);
print<

would be great if someone could help me finishing this GREAT hack ..
chris
great
Posted By: Ripper Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/15/2000 11:11 PM
I got the hack to work ... (YaY) ... but now it makes it looks like everything is new or has new posts.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this?Can someone please email me if they know?
Posted By: Slick Chicken Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/15/2000 11:34 PM
Have you re-installed the hack?
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/15/2000 11:51 PM
Yes, i did re-install it, maybe there's someone who might fix the prob having a look at my server..? Would be fantastic!
chris
Posted By: Slick Chicken Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/15/2000 11:56 PM
Where is your server?
Posted By: The Team Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/19/2000 11:05 PM
All i get is a blank screen [Linked Image]
5.45b
help anyone?
Posted By: Matrix Re: Who's Currently Online - 06/15/2000 10:01 AM
All I get is a "blank" page. Nothing comes up man I wish things work out in the first place. I use version 5.42
In the postings.cgi I dont have
exit(0); # comply with SafePerl
it shows only exit;

------------------
Posted By: Pyros Re: Who's Currently Online - 06/16/2000 1:29 AM
quote:
What ohter hacks are on your board?
And do you have a URL to your board?

------------------
Moderator of:
Hacked UBB Showcase
Chit Chat
Posted By: thinker Re: Who's Currently Online - 06/16/2000 7:39 PM
Works Perfectly for 5.45c! I was wondering, is there a way to make it so it tells you all the members that are on the board? I saw this board, and it showed the # of members and who they were aswell as guests...

------------------
Posted By: Tim Wheatley Re: Who's Currently Online - 07/02/2000 8:42 PM
Help Please...

Currently, it appears to be working, but I am unable to access online.cgi to edit my prefs, it says 500 port error when I try to.

Was I meant to have an online.cgi file before installing? Because when I download the file all it says inside is:

962584261|^|6
962583889|^|Ade Maritz|^|****IP*****|^|Open Wheel
962584008|^|guest|^|****IP*****|^|General Discussion
962584034|^|guest|^|****IP*****|^|General Discussion
962584165|^|Tim Wheatley|^|****IP*****|^|General Sim Talk
962584228|^|guest|^|****IP*****|^|Main Page
962584326|^|guest|^|****IP*****|^|http://legends.sports-gaming.com
Posted By: Tim Wheatley Re: Who's Currently Online - 07/03/2000 12:13 AM
Got it, mailed Dave too to tell him what I had trouble with.

------------------
http://legends.sports-gaming.com
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Who's Currently Online - 09/11/2000 7:15 AM
quote:
What page is blank? Ultimate.cgi? or online.cgi?

------------------
Allen

Posted By: ThEcRoW Re: Who's Currently Online - 09/11/2000 3:35 PM
Its Ultimate.cgi

------------------
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Who's Currently Online - 09/12/2000 7:59 AM
Can you post here just the snippet of code affected, the stuff you added to ultimate.cgi plus one line above it and below it?

------------------
Allen

Posted By: truckinlady Re: Who's Currently Online - 09/13/2000 4:02 AM
Hoping someone can help with this mess.
I installed the Who's Online Hack. The hack worked fine, but the threads would not update.
SO I redid it and sent it back up. ASCII and CHMOD, now the threads update but the post Rpely and New Topic are coming up blank.
I tried to upload the original copies, without the hack, and I am still having the same problem. Can someone please help with this??
www.truckinlife.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Utimate.cgi
My guess is the problem is in postings.cgi.
Thanks! Version 5.45c

------------------
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Who's Currently Online - 09/13/2000 5:13 AM
Getting 404's trying to access your site...

------------------
Allen

Posted By: MorphStar Re: Who's Currently Online - 10/14/2000 3:50 PM
if you got a blank page, you probably forgot to add the required =

require "ubb_library.pl"

btw, great hack!

------------------
"I hear no sound, I inhale myself, I inhale the urge to kill, I feel pain, but it ain't there"
Posted By: Hanta Re: Who's Currently Online - 10/20/2000 10:50 PM
Ok, I know you will hate me, but over the last week I tried to install this hack on a ubb 5.47 with no luck, obviously. And now I need the help of those perl/ubb guru's in here to walk me trough this.

tia Hanta
Posted By: Flare945 Re: Who's Currently Online - 11/06/2000 5:50 AM
im on 5.47 and i got it goin w/o a hitch at all. easiest hack yet...
Posted By: patrick84 Re: Who's Currently Online - 11/12/2000 4:03 PM
I installed it on my UBB 5.47, but I have no online.cgi anyone knows where I can get it?

Thanx.
Email me the answer!

Thanx Again
Posted By: Kola Re: Who's Currently Online - 11/13/2000 7:19 AM
I had problems with this hack also on 5.47. It's fine now. If you're using CuteFTP to upload your files, it automatically uploads *.cfg files in BINARY, to make sure you change it to ASCII. That may be your problem.

------------------
Kola
For everything else, there's Mastercard..

Action Replay Headquarters
Posted By: Y2KuSeR Re: Who's Currently Online - 11/15/2000 5:09 PM
have somebody a description for the final version ??
Posted By: KargaT Re: Who's Currently Online - 11/18/2000 10:25 PM
Hello.

This script works excellent on my 5.47a but with a problem.
Non-english characters in names don't work. It shows html encode code (like %20) instead of the letter. Is there a workaround for this?
Posted By: gezuvor Re: Who's Currently Online - 11/30/2000 8:13 AM
Dave, are you out there?

I installed this on a clean copy of 5.47 and am getting two problems.

1) It whacked about 1000 members out of my membertotal.cgi.
2) The Record on online.cgi does not stay fixed. It will fluctuate up and down and has even been below the Current number.

Any thoughts? The board is VWVortex and I would really appreciate the assistance...

------------------
~Rich
Posted By: gezuvor Re: Who's Currently Online - 11/30/2000 8:15 AM
Forgot to mention: It is not updating the membertotal.cgi file any longer. The number is fixed...

------------------
~Rich
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 11/30/2000 7:33 PM
Question:

I've been using the old version that showed Guests as IP numbers.

I'd like to run the new one that shows the Guests as "Guest #X" and still run the old one offline so moderators and admins can keep tabs on disruptors.

Possible?

If so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: gezuvor Re: Who's Currently Online - 11/30/2000 9:02 PM
Okay, I was able to fix the membertotal issue and it is now operating correctly again.

Unfortunately, the problem with the Record count is not sticking and still plaguing me. Could it be a cookie issue? A file permissions error?

Aaargh! [Linked Image]

------------------
~Rich
Posted By: Thermit Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/01/2000 8:44 AM
NBAustin, the latest version shows "Guest #" or UserName, and has a control panel feature to select who can see IP/hostname info: None, Admin, Admin & Mod, or All.

gevuvor, I think it's a bug, I have same problem, very unpredictable.
Posted By: Lucia Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/01/2000 9:09 AM
I've seen the same problem on my boards too...

------------------
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/01/2000 3:22 PM
Thanks Thermit.

Got it installed, runs fine, but the page doesn't auto reload.

What do I need to do?
Posted By: Thermit Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/02/2000 7:31 AM
Not sure.

If you have the CP controls try reseting the refresh rate, if done in code make sure your refresh_time variable is set to something like 60.

Code
code:
Posted By: CT Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/05/2000 10:34 PM
Does anyone know where to find THIS hack:

http://sternfannetwork.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/online.cgi

It is the "Who's online" hack combined with the "hear me chat" hack. It works perfectly, but I can not find it anywhere.

All the Who's online hacks I see do NOT include the chat option!

Anyone?
Posted By: gary p Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/08/2000 7:04 AM
Hi CT. I also think that looks cool, but I have no idea.

You can find 30 chat-clients here, while waiting for somebody else who know where hearme.cgi can be found [Linked Image]

Also alot of more cgi-stuff on that site.

http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/Chat/
Posted By: GoTorankusuKu Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/08/2000 7:23 AM
Well here it is. Found it in the UBBHackers database.

http://www.ubbhackers.com/uploads/hacks/Chat.zip

------------------
The Fusion of Goku & Trunks...GoTorankusuKu

Posted By: CT Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/08/2000 3:53 PM
No GoTorankusuKu,

I don't believe that's the same hack as I mentioned earlier. Did you visit: http://sternfannetwork.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/online.cgi to see what hack i ment?
Posted By: c00t Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/08/2000 10:04 PM
http://www.action3d.co.uk/cgi-bin/bs_ubb/Ultimate.cgi
Version 5.46, ive managed to get everything working in harmony except people can only see themselves on the list and noone else, just checked all the code and I cant see any obvious problems, but you know how these things are [Linked Image]
Posted By: c00t Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/08/2000 10:08 PM
Gah, just realised this second what the problem is... my web host has just introduced a proxy server that gives everyone accessing the site the same IP, so each consequent connection overwrites the last. hmmm, ill try to fix it myself anyway...
Posted By: Y2KuSeR Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/21/2000 1:50 PM
how can i view which topic XX view @ the moment ???

------------------
Visit the best board, NOW!!
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/21/2000 8:00 PM
Follow the instructions at the bottom of the installation page...

------------------
Allen

Posted By: TyRaN Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/21/2000 8:46 PM
when i click on a forum i got a blank page...
Ultimate.cgi online.cgi work great but i only see a white page when i click on a forum...

any idea?

------------------
TyRaN

This message has been edited by TyRaN on December 21, 2000 at 12:51 PM
Posted By: Y2KuSeR Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/21/2000 11:44 PM
quote:

i´ve installed the ssi tags, but @ the online.cgi the topics are not show up (i´ve made an pdate of topics)

------------------
Visit the best board, NOW!!
Posted By: Lukahn Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/22/2000 12:46 AM
TyRaN, that's my problem as well. I just can't figure it out. Everything else works fine, but it doesn't do you any good to know who's online if they can't post anywhere [Linked Image]

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Posted By: BetaBoy Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/22/2000 2:23 AM
I got the STICKY problem.
http://www.mydivx.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Basically it is holding the same 25 Who's Online users on browsing the boards. I have tried re-setting the boards, delete cookies, changing every W.O. option. All to no avail. I am able to change the detail of the listed Who's Online users but that's it.
The Ultimate.cgi remains list "25 Users Browsing the boards"

Anyone have a patch or leads me in the direction I should be looking for?

Thanx,

BB

------------------
The MyDivX ;-) Forums
Posted By: BetaBoy Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/22/2000 2:40 AM
OK... Figured it out. I had corruption in the online.cfg and the online.cgi in the members directory. I just deleted them and all is well.

BB

------------------
The MyDivX ;-) Forums
Posted By: TyRaN Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/22/2000 8:11 AM
nobody can help me?

Ultimate.cgi works fine...
online.cgi too...
but when i click on a forum (forumdisplay?action...), it does'nt work...

i have a couple of hack installed:
memberlist, carnell, multipost, totalpost, lastpost by, last reply in forumdisplay, costum layout, prev_next_bar_546, prev_next_bar_546_forumdisplay_addon, logon 1.2 by Y2BNE1

i think it's all...
i use ubb 5.45c

thx for your help... if you can... [Linked Image]

------------------
TyRaN
Posted By: Ultra GrrL Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/22/2000 8:43 AM
Just one question.....is it safe to install this hack yet, or are there still things that need to be ironed out?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/22/2000 9:04 AM
It works on most every site and installs without problems most of the time... tho I admit I have installed it on a site just recently where it doesn't seem to work.

Tyran, your problem is most likely in your "last post by in forumdisplay" or the "prev/next bar" in forumdisplay. You probably have some table problems preventing it from displaying...

------------------
Allen

Posted By: Lukahn Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/22/2000 12:03 PM
In my case I really don't think it has anything to do with misplaced table tags. I believe this because when I view the source for the "empty page" that keeps coming up, I just get:

And nothing else. Even with table tag errors, you usually get HTML source. That's why I'm guessing that something seems to be getting caught up in a way that it shouldn't be. And unfortunately, it probably has something to do with other hacks that are already in place.

I don't know what else it could be. But if you or anyone is willing to look at my docs, please let me know .
Posted By: WonderZone Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/24/2000 4:08 AM
about that whos online it works fine it just doesn't show the little icons on people replys or anything that says if there online/offline
well on the main page it shows users online and all but on any post by any user it doesn't show the icons if there online or offline any ideas?
Posted By: GoTorankusuKu Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/24/2000 8:22 AM
The online/offline is a seperate add-on. That's the UBB IM's

------------------
Posted By: WonderZone Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/25/2000 12:45 AM
ok all is working good but one thing.
at the bottom where it shows:
Currently Browsing the Boards (2)
2 guests <==- it only shows guest never users. even when there logged in if im logged in then it shows me as guest right there but when i go into the online.cgi and see whos on it shows my nick. but everyone else still shows them as guest any ideas?
Posted By: Metallifukinca Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/25/2000 12:49 AM
Damn I installed this hack months ago and I have never had a problem with it [Linked Image]

Thanks
Dave Downin

------------------
I Disappear ?
http://www.Metallifukinca.com
Posted By: WonderZone Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/25/2000 12:52 AM
your just too lucky heh
Posted By: GoTorankusuKu Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/25/2000 2:19 AM
WonderZone: You must setup Who's Online in the CP first before you can see the users.

------------------
Posted By: WonderZone Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/26/2000 9:25 AM
heh
i know i already done that
see this is what i just saw right now

Currently Browsing the Boards (2)
2 guests

WonderZone Viewing: Who's Online 12:23 AM
Guest #1 chat 12:19 AM

see when i go into the whos online it shows my name but not on the main page people told me that it does the samething for them when thay go in there it shows there username but shows all of us as guest.
im using
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.46a
with the latest whos online mod.
Posted By: GoTorankusuKu Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/26/2000 8:33 PM
Go in your Members directory and delete online.cgi

This will regenerate a new online list if that helps. Never had this problem so can't really help you much.

------------------
Posted By: Matze Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/30/2000 4:31 PM
Does anybody knows, where i can find a fix for this online Hack / Memberlist 2.4 to work together! I'm getting mad....couldn't find the mistake [Linked Image]
But after all, it is a great Hack, good job Dave[Linked Image]

------------------
Matze
http://www.stock-channel.net
http://www.abt-edv.com
Posted By: TyRaN Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/31/2000 12:05 AM
quote:
what doesn't work?

------------------
TyRaN
Posted By: Matze Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/31/2000 1:06 PM
In the Memberlist 2.4 i can optionally show, who is online with a small gif, and this will not be shown when i am inside an the online Hack recognizes me correct!

Online Hack last Versin Memberlist 2.4 are my used Hacks!

------------------
Matze
Posted By: Matze Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/31/2000 1:12 PM
After wrting that, i was direkly redirectet to ubbhackers.com in the who is online Thread there? Did anyboby got the same feature [Linked Image]?

------------------
Matze
Posted By: Pilot Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/31/2000 5:12 PM
I found that more UserNames were captured if I changed the WriteUserSession routine in the ubb_library.pl to check for UserNamePrivate as well (see below) - this won't apply if you are not using private forums of course.

Who is maintaining this hack? Because many of the instructions are out of date when they recommend "fixing" UBB cookie routines that have been fixed by InfoPop long ago.

Code
code:
Posted By: charliealpha Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/03/2001 11:57 PM
works nicely on 5.47d [Linked Image]

------------------
ChArLiEaLpHa
slacker type bloke
charlieFM
Posted By: Statix Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/04/2001 3:17 AM
i dont know if its whos online or what. but some people tell me they get a white page for ultimate.cgi. and sometimes they wont let them post replys.

i cannot figure this out. Please someone help

------------------
Posted By: EMINEM68518 Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/04/2001 6:17 AM
ok here is my problem i have 5.47d

when you go to Ultimat.cgi it shows howmany people are at my board but once you try to set it up in the cp/and or go to online.cgi i get a 500 error

now i noticed that the hack askes to find this in ubb_library.pl
Code
code:

but the only the code is this

Code
code:

now could that be messing it up
because on the previus version i had worked fine and that was 5.47c

Please i am asking for some help

------------------
| My Home Page | My Ubb |
Posted By: p74vic Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/05/2001 8:41 AM
Ok I'm stumped....

I have installed this hack on 5.47b

And whenever I try to load my Ultimate.cgi i get a 500IS error..

I have checked, doublchecked, and triplechecked the actual hack code that i pasted, and the permission of 755. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jason

------------------
www.crownvic.net
Posted By: EMINEM68518 Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/05/2001 6:42 PM
quote:
Ive found that you need to add memberlist to the members directory

if your suposed to do this can somone put that information in the txt file

------------------
Posted By: EMINEM68518 Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/05/2001 6:46 PM
when i reply it sends me to ubb code hacking and my reply never goes thruany way i found you need to upload online.cgi to the members dir also

------------------
Posted By: Pilot Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/06/2001 6:02 PM
Another bug - if the same user comes to the site via different proxy servers with different IP addresses - he is recorded as separate users.

The fact is some ISPs use load balancing proxies so the same user might arrive at the UBB site with different IP addresses from one minute to the next.

The hack should (optionally) only list users based on unique Usernames and not unique IP addresses.
Posted By: Skempi Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/07/2001 12:36 AM
i've installed the hack but i cant see it in mine ultimate.cgi ??

Does anyone have a clue what mine problem could be?

This message has been edited by Skempi on January 07, 2001 at 07:32 AM
Posted By: Skempi Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/07/2001 2:25 AM
euhm allready fixed it thx anyway
Posted By: Skempi Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/07/2001 2:58 AM
Arghl it seems like spam but when i thought i fixed it, i dind't [Linked Image], i now can see the who's online in Ultimate.cgi, and he says that i am online but when more people come online and i refresh i cant see the others..

>> the person who visits the site can only see himselves .. <<

Any suggestions / answers for this one ?
Posted By: GoTorankusuKu Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/07/2001 9:21 AM
Has anyone got the fix for the resetting Record Book?

------------------
Posted By: CARTOON Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/13/2001 4:56 PM
Great hack works good so far. Only one question... It shows view which forum and posting... But I was wondering what code I would need to enter and where, to show if a member was editing a post or just reading/viewing a paticular post. As opposed to actually replying to it.

If someone can show be the code to put and in which cgi.files. Obviously edit.cgi is one of them, but whats the code and where??

Also any possibility of making it log people in their PM inbox or out box???

Thanks!
Posted By: GoTorankusuKu Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/13/2001 7:45 PM
You need to do the extra steps in the installation where it makes a SSI call in ubb_library2.pl

------------------
Posted By: telnetmanta Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/14/2001 5:22 AM
Ok, I have UBB-PM installed and I want to have the "Online Users" listed on my Ultimate.cgi page after the "Private Messages"
Just like it is on the ultimate.cgi page here?

Thanks......
Posted By: GoTorankusuKu Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/14/2001 6:24 AM
In Ultimate.cgi

Find:
Code
code:

Add under that:
Code
code:

------------------
Posted By: indoe Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/15/2001 9:27 AM
This addon add who online in to forumdisplay look nice
and it very eazy should work whit all ubb

Look for: or add any were you want this is were i have it
------------
Code
code:
--------------
Right after it, add:
----------------------------------
This code is for summary message TO list the users look down more
----------------------------------
Code
code:
------------------
This code is for list the users use this if you
want to list the users summary message is the top code
------------------
Code
code:
----------------
DONE UPLOAD INJOY you must have
Who's Online by Dave Downin. installed for this to work

------------------
Posted By: Caldazar Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/17/2001 7:19 PM
Would someone be able to post a link to online.cgi. The link to the instructions and the cgi file at arlo.net arnt working.
Posted By: ILY Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/17/2001 11:05 PM
I installed the hack. The only problem I am having is that I am showing up as offline.

I also would like to know how I can show who's online like shown on this site.

I would go through each post made in this thread...but after page 5, I have managed to get a headache.

Hope someone wouldn't mind helping me? [Linked Image]

Thanks,

Iliana
Posted By: Allstar-DC Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/17/2001 11:09 PM
well, my main prob is that i get a blank screen!!

what causes this?

and where do i find an "config.cfg" file?

i don't have it on my server?!?!?
Posted By: theCrusader Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/19/2001 8:54 AM
I'm trying to get the the who's online to track which thread people are reading....in the direction it says to enter this code after the $Header2 in ubb_library2.pl:
Code
code:

But it keeps on giving this error:

[an error occured processing this directive]

I know the above relative path is right but can't seem to understand why it keeps on giving that error.

This message has been edited by theCrusader on January 20, 2001 at 02:28 AM
Posted By: CT Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/20/2001 11:30 PM
Your SSI is not being parsed. Try renaming the file in which the call is made to .shtml. If this doesn't work, your ISP probably does not support SSI.
Posted By: ST8 Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/21/2001 12:00 AM
*sigh*

how many times do i have to say this!

<--#exec --> tags CANNOT PARSE QUERY STRINGS!!!!

some1 change the instructions in whos online docs.

To parse query strings u must use

<--#include virtual="cgi-bin/online.cgi?forum=$Forum&topic=$TopicSubject&link=$NonCGIURL/$ExactPath/HTML/$ThreadNumber.html"-->
Posted By: Pilot Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/22/2001 6:09 PM
In my experience it is NOT necessary to modify either the UBB file locking or the UBB cookie subroutines to install this hack if you are using a recent UBB release (eg 5.47b or above).

These UBB routines already have the fixes included (which is why the UBB code does not match the instructions in the hack). They include the same fix using different code, so to replace them is to regress the InfoPop code rewrite. No point in doing that.

Can someone update the hack documentation?
Posted By: Fbnet Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/25/2001 3:16 PM
who's online works in ubb 5.47d?

This message has been edited by Fbnet on January 25, 2001 at 07:47 PM
Posted By: TimS Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/26/2001 6:11 PM
GoTorankusuKu, I struggled with the same thing, the record not being kept but being over written. I fixed it quite by accident but what I can figure, it has to do with changing the online.cgi file in your Members directory to 777. That fixed mine up.

Now, a question for you...or any other brave soul. I just installed the latest versions of PM, Who's Online, and IM to my 5.47C board. After some issues, I got it all working...except when viewing with Netscape (them bastages![Linked Image]) Explorer it's fine...but with Netscape 4.7, all the "online" icons for the whole thread end up in the topic starters post?!? In other words, everything appears normal, except the first post in that thread will have a whole string of online icons! And the IM link attached to those icons won't work, they are just icons.

In Explorer, it's 100%. Any suggestions?

The board is at http://www.stripersonline.com/cgi-bin/ubb_547C/Ultimate.cgi

Your guidance is much appreciated [Linked Image]

TimS
Posted By: nautis Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/29/2001 4:00 AM
quote:
yeah, i have it working on ... mine
Posted By: nautis Re: Who's Currently Online - 01/29/2001 4:30 AM
quote:
what would happen if $TopicSubject contained quotes in it. looks like it would choke. hang on ... it does choke.

any way around this? anyone, anyone?
Posted By: TheMaster Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/11/2001 12:23 AM
Is there a new script for version 6 beta 8 ?
Please contact me !!
Posted By: GoTorankusuKu Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/11/2001 1:51 AM
Wrong forum, you should ask in the UBB6 categories.
Posted By: mswu Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/11/2001 6:30 PM
Hey i have a quick question actually 2 questions....

1. i had this mod workin fine on my old server.... then once i switched servers.... the hack only works occasionaly.... 1/10 times i ttry....
i get this error
"Web Site Not Responding
504 Connection Timed Out "

Any ideas to help?

2. If you cant help me with that question can u please give me the code that will actually list the members who are browsing on Ultimate.cgi...under the link for online.cgi?

thanx
Posted By: notta Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/15/2001 10:53 AM
Hey, I hope you guys can help me out. I have done everything that I can, and now I'm asking for help. I installed the Who's online hack and all the board will show is "no members, x amount of guests." It gets the number of guests right but I cannot get it to list the members. I have gone through the steps many times and all seems right. I'm thinking that it must be a cookie problem because if I go in and view the online.cgi file in the members directory it lists my ip, but it is showing guest.
I am using 5.47d. I have installed Memberslist hack also, but when I click on memberlist I always get a "sorry but only registered members can view this list." I am not too worried about that, but I thought it may be related. Can you guys help me out with the Who's online hack? Thanks!!!
Posted By: dj_paradox Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/18/2001 12:56 AM
Hey i jsut installed the hack and it werks fine EXCEPT it only lists me in the who's online, i looked at the online cgi in the members folder and it seems like its just deleting the onld one and re-writing it... and clue why it would do this?
http://www.digital-xtc.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
Posted By: yetdog11 Re: Who's Currently Online - 03/23/2001 7:15 AM
i have tried installing this hack numerous times, with each time im running into a problem. a big one. i triple check everything, then when i try to load my board, a blank page comes up. when i try to get into Who;s Online settings in the CP, it gives me an internal server error. i have AOL instant messenger. could someone please IM me with some assistance? im fluent with computers so you'll have no problems communicating to me. thanks alot.

AIM: yetdog11
Posted By: SSJPrince Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/13/2001 5:47 AM
I suppose I should post it here:

I installed the hack, but for some reason it won't load from the main page. It works fine in the CP but when I click on the link to see the whole list of browsing members it can't load it. I triple checked the links and it seems correct. It just refuses to work for some reason.

The link is http://ssjpalace.netfirms.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
Posted By: radiokilla Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/13/2001 5:49 PM
SSJPrince, I looked at your site, and it worked fine for me....
Posted By: SSJPrince Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/13/2001 7:11 PM
It seems to work now (but it's really slow), it wouldn't load before.

Thanks for checking it though.
Posted By: krazykid911 Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/15/2001 11:26 PM
i have the same problem as Matt Y, when i do everything correct and try to go to my page it doesnt show up it is just a blank page. i can set up my whos online settings but it wont let my go to my UBB afterwards. i am using UBB v5.44 and my AIM name is: ShortIdiot911
Posted By: Neil Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2001 4:20 PM
Firstly, thanks for the great hack Dave, it's exactly what I've been looking for. I am having a small problem though, unfortunately.

Basically, all I am ever getting is "Currently browsing the boards, 1 guest"

In other words, no matter how many guests and members are browsing the boards, it is only ever displaying 1 guest as being there.

I followed the installation instructions to the letter, although there is one I haven't been able to implement, which is probably causing my problem. In postings.cgi I am meant to replace the line

$ExtraInfo = "";

with

$ExtraInfo = "/";

Unfortunately, I can't find this string anywhere in postings.cgi Could this be causing my problems? If so, is there a workaround for this? I am using UBB 5.47b by the way.

Thanks again for a great hack.
Posted By: Neil Re: Who's Currently Online - 04/19/2001 6:23 PM
Okay, just had a look at online.cgi in the Members directory, and I can why I'm only getting shown 1 member or guest. The IP is listing as 127.0.0.1 so presumably my hosts have a proxy or something. Because the IP is the same for everyone, each entry is overwriting the others instead of being appended.

So, all I have to do now, I think, is take the IP thing out of Daves code. I'm fairly new to this CGI stuff, but I will have a go at it. If anyone could point me in the right direction, however, I'd be very grateful.

I'll post the solution if I get it figured out!

-------------------------

Okay, I just did! I took out the line in ubb_library.pl (in your cgi-bin) which says,,,

@online = grep{!/|^|$ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}|^|/} @online;

And that seems to have fixed it, as it's not writing the IP address anymore, so the entried aren't getting overwritten.

Hope this helps out anyone with the same problem. Thank you for such a brilliant, useful and easy to implement hack, Dave.

[ April 19, 2001 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Neil ]
Posted By: PGZ Rick Re: Who's Currently Online - 05/06/2001 8:54 AM
quote:
Are you sure? I've been having the same problem for a long time.
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/09/2001 5:21 PM
Neil I had the same IP problem.

I did as you suggested and removed:

@online = grep{!/|^|$ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}|^|/} @online;

from ubb_library.pl but when ever the Who's online page refreshes the counters keep incrementing although no one else is on the boards. I presume it keeps counting the IP again and again. Are you aware of this and if so did you manage to fix it?

[ 12-09-2001 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Pagemakers ]
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/09/2001 8:15 PM
How is it possible to add the who's online table at the top of the board.
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/09/2001 9:35 PM
I have set the Who's Online page to refresh every 30 seconds. It refreshes only 3 or 4 times then stops. Why?
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/10/2001 12:17 AM
quote:
FYI, 127.0.0.1 if your internal loopback IP, for example, if you ran a web server, you could type in http://127.0.0.1 and it would tell your browser to look for a web server on your machine.

quote:
Simply all that is doing is searching for the remote host address and pushing it into an array. So I doubt if that was the main cause of your problem, even though it may have seemed to have fixed it.

What web host do you run your board on?
If its a f2s host then forget because this hack will never work with that host.

Cheers
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/10/2001 2:20 AM
We are running on a standard Linux box.

If I remove the line as Neil suggests it does not fix the problem very well and each time the who's online page refreshes it counts everybody again!

We are running a website for company employees. Many of them connect from the same building and thus use the same IP address. We may have 100 of them online but Who's online shows them as a single guest.

Any ideas?
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/10/2001 7:24 AM
Well thats where your problem lies, if you all access the board via a proxy of sorts and use the same IP address then the who's online will not work. From memory it uses unique IP's/Host Names to increment the online counter. Hence your problem. As for a fix, well Im not to sure atm sorry, it would take some looking into.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/10/2001 7:50 AM
With the v6.0 version there is a choice of using different logging methods which is good.
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/10/2001 12:24 PM
Thank's BassTeQ. It's a pity there is not a work round.

Lord Dexter - I hear what you say about version 6, but for OUR pruposes I think version 5 is a better board.
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/10/2001 11:46 PM
No problems.
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/11/2001 1:09 AM
Is it possible to change the total visitor count of Who's online from "Current & Record Book", to "Current and most board visitors in a day"?
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/11/2001 3:35 AM
Quite easily, just find the string in the code, search for "record book" or something, and change it as you requite. Note anything that starts with a $ means its a variable.
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/11/2001 4:37 AM
Yes, but what do I need to add to display the most visits to the board on any single day?
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/11/2001 6:49 AM
Ahh so you want to count a total for each day.
Hmmmm idea is simple, but I dont have time to code an example for you sorry.
In simple terms what you need to do it open a file, read in a number and + 1 to it with each visitor you get. At the end of the day you could reset that file to 0. But before resetting in you would need to check it against the 'best days total' and if its bigger overwrite it, otherwise leave it. Id use a pipe dimilted file for an example.
current ppl online | most visitors on any given day
might be
5|34
Sorry I cant be of much more help, but if you are semi familiar with perl you'll be fine. You only need to do basic file open/read functions, simple arithmatic, and number comparisons. Give it a go and if you get stuck I may be able to lend you a hand.

Cheers
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/11/2001 7:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pagemakers:
Is it possible to change the total visitor count of Who's online from "Current & Record Book", to "Current and most board visitors in a day"?

Look in online.cgi and search for "Record Book" and you'll find it where you can replace it with that you want.
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/11/2001 7:52 AM
He want a little more functionality then that Lord, thats what I initially thought. But he would like to add the functionality to add up how many people hit the board a day and display the 'Best Day' total.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/11/2001 7:56 AM
Sorry about that BassTeQ, I was dumb enough not to read the whole thread. *Bangs head*
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/11/2001 10:15 AM
Thanks guys - I thought someone may have thought of this already.
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/12/2001 12:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dexter:
Sorry about that BassTeQ, I was dumb enough not to read the whole thread. *Bangs head*

Nps, I made the same mistake at first too

quote:
Originally posted by Pagemakers:
Thanks guys - I thought someone may have thought of this already

So are you going to give this a go yourself?
We are here to help if you get stuck!
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/12/2001 3:13 AM
Yeah I can help too. I'm having a look at the code in online.cgi as we speak.
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/14/2001 2:15 PM
How are you getting on Dexter?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/15/2001 2:04 AM
What you could do is Update your Threads and look at the Record Book. It usually resets after you do that so test for me please.
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/15/2001 1:41 PM
My record book is not reset when I update threads
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/16/2001 2:20 AM
Has it ever resetted for you before?
Posted By: Metallifukinca Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/16/2001 4:26 PM
# Note this will not log people in PRIVATE forums... if you want it to do that,
# comment out the line with the "if" statement and the line with the "}"

$online_url = "$CGIURL/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=$ForumCoded&number=$number&DaysPrune=$DaysPrune&LastLogin=$LastLogin&site=$SiteCoded";
if ($LWA ne "private") {
}

I'm lost, how do you comment it out ?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/17/2001 2:27 AM
I thought the WOL did that and just had "Private topic" in Private Forum, or something like that I can't remember.
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/17/2001 8:05 PM
No it hasn't resetted before Dexter
Posted By: svr Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/21/2001 12:05 AM
I wanna know why the record (max number of users) does not stay forever until it hasn't been crossed? The thing keeps on resetting on its own.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/21/2001 2:10 AM
Yeah thats a bug. The record book was still in beta when this hack was released.
Posted By: Pagemakers Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/22/2001 1:17 PM
Dexter, did you or anyone else manage to add a "guests visited today" total to the who's online page?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/23/2001 2:29 AM
No I couldn't figure it out...
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/23/2001 11:45 PM
Pagemakers, have yo uput together any code yet? Or aren't you going to give it a go?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Who's Currently Online - 12/24/2001 2:28 AM
My guess is you'll have to Modify the record book so it resets daily.
Alle Beiträge von heute