UBB.Dev
Posted By: WrÅith Search by IP - 07/02/2002 5:08 PM
There was a hack some time ago for v5.5 that provided Admins & Moderators (configurable) with the ability to search by IP address and/or search by username and have all of the IP addresses displayed. The actual SQL code is quite simple really, but with the way the HTML has been moved out of the code files, I'm not sure how to go about making this work.

I've attached the instructions for the original hack if anyone would like to take a shot at "upgrading" it for v6.0

Attached File
51696-SearchByIP.zip  (9 downloads)
Posted By: Max Fisch Re: Search by IP - 07/06/2002 8:05 AM
I would love to see this one as well.
An additional idea if someone is into it: In addition to displaying all IPs used by a specific user, list all other users sharing those IP addresses. This would be helpful to find people logging in with multiple usernames.

Other approaches for identifying multiple usernames might also be helpful - eg an administrator-viewable cookie showing all usernames used by that computer.

Max
Posted By: JustDave Re: Search by IP - 07/06/2002 8:33 AM
The actual sql query to do such a check would be easy enough to do. I could add some more code to the search page and make a small script to display the results. Users that have the same IP address will not always signify that they are one person. If they both share the same ISP and are on dial up they may have some IP addresses in common at one time or another. Those behind proxies will also look to be only one person if viewed by IP address.
Posted By: WrÅith Re: Search by IP - 07/06/2002 10:27 PM
Here are the two queries that you would need. I've just been executing these from the SQL Command option in the Admin Control Panel:

code:
SELECT DISTINCT B_IP
FROM w3t_Posts
WHERE B_Username='<username>'

Replace <username> with the username of the poster you're investigating. This will show you all of the IP addresses used by an individual poster. Make sure it's spelled exactly the same.

code:
SELECT B_Username
FROM w3t_Posts
WHERE B_IP='XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX'

Replace XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX with the appropriate IP address. This is good for seeing if two usernames are using the same IP address.
© UBB.Developers