UBB.Dev
Posted By: Musicarl Boards going slow. Might be a MySQL issue. - 05/05/2005 7:53 PM
Hi all.

We're running UBB 6.2.2 with a lot of customization that has kept us from upgrading. We're on a good dedicated server with 2 Gigs of RAM. We have over 40,000 users, but only about 1000 have used the message boards (our users for our main site are automatically registered on the boards). There are usually 10-25 people online.

Many times, our boards are very slow. The processess back up and things grind to a halt. We get a lot of overhead in our w3t_users table, and it helps when we Optimize, but they slow down again quickly.

About a week ago, I rebooted the whole server and the boards were great for almost 3 days. They were fast and happy. Then, they started slowing down again. I'd rather not reboot the whole server every few days, so if anyone has ideas on what we can do to narrow it down and solve the problem, please let me know. Our hosting company tells me MySQL has been sluggish on a lot of forums lately.

Thanks,
Carl
www.songfacts.com
[]Our hosting company tells me MySQL has been sluggish on a lot of forums lately.[/] Did they say why? Since it is not YOUR server and is the hosting companies, not much we can say will help you... Especially since THEY acknowledged a problem. Have they tweaked their MYSQL any? because since it is their server thats something only they can do? I would suggest to them that they move you to another server if they have one, to see if that helps you any.[/]
hmm.. you could point them to the 'tune mysql' topic here.
Sorry about the confusion - we are on our own server. It's colocated hosting, so the box lives at the hosting company and they made the observation about boards on other servers as well.

I did read the thread on tuning MySQL, and it looks like our settings are in pretty good shape. I'm wondering if there's some kind of cache that clears out when the server is restarted that I can clear every so often.
Posted By: santana Re: Boards going slow. Might be a MySQL issue. - 05/06/2005 11:16 AM
I was using mySql 3.23 and it was upgraded it to 4.0. So far so good and very stable. A great improvement though.
© UBB.Developers