UBB.Dev
Posted By: Rick Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 4:05 AM
Anyone curious as to what the new control panel will have? If so, you can see a screenshot of what I've got done so far. This is just to let everyone know the direction I'm working on for the next release.

Screenshot
Posted By: Eileen Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 5:05 AM
What's "Thread Reminders"?

[]http://www.wopr.com/w3tuserpics/Eileen-sig.gif[/]
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 5:23 AM
Thread reminders can be used when you see a thread that you need to comment on, but don't have the time to do it at that very moment. You can set a reminder so you won't forget to make a reply later. Once you reply to the thread then the reminder will go away.
Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 5:58 AM
That looks GREAT!!!

I do have a request for the new Control Panel that has to do with Private Messages. It was a request by one of our staff and the moment he mentioned it I immediately loved the idea. Here is it verbatum:

In reply to:

It's just a minor detail, but it'd be much easier if the "delete message" checkbox (in the Private Messages section) was on the left, between the message status (N, R, blank) and the Message title. Having it to the right makes it harder to be sure the right message is being deleted, and I'd hate to delete an important thing by mistake.

I really like this idea, because when you averge 20+ PMs a day, it is very easy to accidently delete the wrong thread because the delete button is far to the right from the topic. This keeps them close together and easy on the eyes.

I really like the looks of the Control Panel Scream, what are the odds of the following options being considered as well:

1. Allow the user to choose whether or not the Control Panel should be his or her start page. Give them an option to choose a specific forum as their start page.

2. Allow the user to create a list of "Favorite Forums" as well as threads. This way they can jump right into their forum of choice.

I cannot think of anything else at the moment. :)

Jhariden (aka Strategist)
Stratics Forums
Posted By: Brewskie Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 5:59 AM
I like the "Friends On-Line" thingy Scream. But will there be an option to remove these names?

I don't remember seeing that option in the old profile addressbook.

Brew
CustomShowCars.com

Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 6:01 AM
All of those sound like great ideas. I can see no reason why they can't be done. I was going to add the option of choosing the control panel or the main forum listing as your startpage, because several people have hacked theirs to do that, but allowing them to choose an individual forum sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for the feedback and the ideas.
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 6:06 AM
Yes, currently when you choose to send a private message there is an option there to delete the selected entry.

However, I think I'll improve that a bit. I'll probably make a script to show/edit your address book maybe add comments to each entry, delete entries, etc.
Posted By: DaBirk Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 9:06 AM
I love it! Can't wait...

- Da Birk
http://www.ncaastrategies.com
Posted By: patagon Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 1:47 PM
this looks amazing!!! just one question...what happens if you have a lot of favorites? will they all be on one page? also..is therea a way to know what specific category your favorites belong to? a lot of people use the same names and they may have an ebtire different menaing depneding on the forum...

I guess this one will be one of the most important additions to wwwthreads in a long time. It's great.

Posted By: Eileen Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 7:21 PM
Neat. I like it.

Don't forget to add the selection panel for them to choose which forums they want see in the Main Indix.

Posted By: Shalazar Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/20/2001 10:12 PM
Wow, that is very impressive.

---------
Shalazar
www.charisma-carpenter.com
Posted By: dgermann Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 2:48 AM
Wow! Scream. Neat!

Gather this is not in 5.3? (I am late to this thread).

:-Doug.
[][email protected][/]
www.FootprintsintheWind.com
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 4:33 AM
How about start using icons for easier identification and easing our eyes?
Here is a test I made (layout is different but its not that I am suggesting this layout, just the use of icons...)

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: Eileen Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 4:44 AM
Yes, that looks really nice.

Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 5:47 AM
That looks really nice! I think also, by having things in their own table row will give more room for displaying more info, like the forum the threads are from, etc. Let's get some more feedback from others and see what they think.

Speaking of Icons. There are several new links that will be placed in some of the scripts and Icons might be nice for these as well, If anyone has some ideas go ahead and post them. Here are the links:

Add to Favorites
Add Reminder
Print Thread
Email Thread to Friend
Add Forum to Favorites
Subscribe/Unsubscribe to Forum
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 5:48 AM
I think we will limit the display of favorites on the main control panel to the 10 most recently active or something and then have a link to display all favorites. Also, if we go with something like what MTO has displayed we will have more room to display the Forum or Cat the thread is in.
Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 6:47 AM
I agree about the sample MTO created, that's a very nice layout. Nicely done!

And Scream...
In reply to:

Add to Favorites
Add Reminder
Print Thread
Email Thread to Friend
Add Forum to Favorites
Subscribe/Unsubscribe to Forum

These look very cool! I've no icons at the moment, but that is very encouraging to see you will be adding those features! I still need that Dateslip Toggle and then I think we're there. hehehe...

I do agree... icons will be a MUST considering all of the nice options that will be displayed. We're nearing that already with existing buttons.

Stratics Forums
Posted By: Brewskie Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 12:55 PM
I was kinda thinking it would be nice to allow the user to select the types of icons to use for the forums and maybe the number of recently active threads in the favs section.

Maybe a set of blue icons or green or large and small icons for the forums....of cource many of these could be generic for different styles selected by the user.

Brew
CustomShowCars.com

Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 5:27 PM
An image for "Edit" would probably be nice as well, to replace the "Edit" text in the control panel so it all matches up[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].
Posted By: poil Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 6:01 PM
i think that a favorites.php that displays all your favorites would be nice also. cause i don't really want to go to my control panel to just see my fav threads. or maybe i do, cause while i am ther i can check up on my reminders. either way i suppose that it can be modified.

[:red]--------------
http://extremeforums.org
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 7:44 PM
Control Panel screenshot has been updated. Screenshot
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 7:54 PM
More changes at the same page with new icons... cant think of one for the "Add reminder" though... what should it be? a brain? a brain with a lightbulb? Hum...

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 7:59 PM
Cool, make sure all icons have the align="absmiddle" so that they are perfectly aligned with the text. Actually this is something that needs to be done to all the other icons as well (speaking of the posts icons), both makrup ones and the rest.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 8:42 PM
Using the icons MTO created (thanks![]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]), I've made anothe screenshot so everyone can see where the new things will be located. I'd like to remove the text next to the icons, but that might cause confusion, but I'll wait to hear from all of you on that. Here is the shot:

New Features
Posted By: Brewskie Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 9:01 PM
This is just awesome Scream!

Could the wording be a bit different to "add this thread" and "add this forum"?

The way you have it in the screenie is a bit confusing.

Otherwise......Great job!

Brew
CustomShowCars.com

Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 9:12 PM
I think the print icon and the send to friend might not need the text since they are both the ones that will be less used and very self explanatory by themselves (at least the printer). There again... it does look good... will have to come back in some hours to take a second look as the first one can be missleading.

Hey Scream... you telling me you code in that thing you had in the background?! Wow. I dont think I could ever do that []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 10:06 PM
Updated with a new reminder icon. Not sure it looks like a brain (hard to make one), but does it look like a "reminder"? I hope so! []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

By the way... not all these icons are entirely created by me. I took snapshots at the IE and other system icons that everyone has learned to recognize. The gray icons are the most original ones (except for "add to favorites" and the printer).

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: poil Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 10:08 PM
or it can be a folder with a red check mark.

Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/21/2001 10:25 PM
Since I am into it... hahah... here is another suggestion, a "no picture" picture for those who dont have it... to encourage them to get their picture in...
[]http://www.wwwthreads.com/files/10-32682-nopicture.gif[/]
Maybe it could show in profile and control panel. Obviouslly not in the posts... but maybe being in the profile would encourage them to upload their pics...

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Attached picture 10-32682-nopicture.gif
Posted By: Brewskie Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 12:20 AM
A "No picture" picture.....

Har har har!

I love it!

Brew
CustomShowCars.com

Posted By: Brewskie Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 12:24 AM
Regarding the new feature screenie of the forums......(Not the home page)

Could you put links to the main index page at the bottom?

It would make it a bit easier to get to the main page, with long pages, if the same link bar that is at the top of the page were also at the bottom of the pages.

Thanx!

Brew
CustomShowCars.com

Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 1:00 AM
I tend to agree witht he Brewmeister there. smile It is a little confusing. I am referring to both the wording and the icons. I would think the icons should all be totally unique so there is no mistaking them. As for the wording, how about something like, "Favorite!" and "Remind Me!" or "Highlight Thread". Also, the Print option I assume removes all color formatting to make a printer friendly view. That might be reworded to "Print View" or somethnig along those lines. Some people might (no, they defniitely will) think it actually will send the page to their printer. hehe... trust me, they will. LOL

It is really looking sharp though. Great work! The nice thing about using icons as it allows for a customization. But I really do they should al be unique and not resemble one another so closely.

Stratics Forums
Posted By: patagon Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 2:32 AM
I like the icons (great work) but IMO you should not remove the text (maybe make it an option?). I believe the icons help identify the features at a quick glance but they don't replace (no matter how good they are) the word.

Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 2:36 AM
En respuesta a:

Also, the Print option I assume removes all color formatting to make a printer friendly view. That might be reworded to "Print View" or somethnig along those lines. Some people might (no, they defniitely will) think it actually will send the page to their printer. hehe... trust me, they will. LOL

Oh... you saying it wont print? Hum... it will! []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/] At least if you include this in the body tag: [:blue] onload="window.print()"

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 2:47 AM
Yes, I think I agree on this as well... though maybe it doesnt need an option, I think just deleting the text in the language file should do the job... just make sure that if you need the same wording somewhere else you grab the text from some other place than the ones intended for buttonlinks.
Also, dont give it width and height (I think I have it in my test page) so that we can change icons without hacking in... though this is done everywhere else so I guess I doubt you were going to do it anyway... the align variable should still be there though.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 3:43 AM
Ok, at this point the only place that I'm using Duplicate icons for the new tools is for Add Thread to Favorites and Add Board to Favorites. What's a good way to differentiate these 2 types of icons?

I like the Favorite! and Remind Me! stuff, it's shorter and to the point.

Maybe the Print one should be changed to "Printer Friendly" or something like that. Whatever everyone thinks.
Posted By: dgermann Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 4:06 AM
Scream--

Two things:

1. The e-mail this thread to a friend is necessary to help build community--the sooner the better. I think perhaps it might be better if "to a friend" were in the text, or at least in a hover text--it might be confusing to some people if it just says "e-mail."

2. I would like to see it long like MTO's rather than wide like yours so that we only have to use one scroll bar.

[][email protected][/]
Posted By: The Team Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 4:10 AM
I don't think it's a big deal about the print option. When I hit "print" on my browser, I'll take what I can get, as long as it prints. Regarding the color removal, I have thousands and thousands (and THOUSANDS) of dollars in equipment, and I still don't have a color printer (although my wife wants a color printer and says I shouldn't be so cheap), and I'll bet many others don't use color either. Just make it print, that would be great! []/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/]. So as far as the icon, what's wrong with the standard Netscape or IE type and the simple word "Print"? It's highly intuitive and after they print one or two pages, they'll know what to expect after that.

http://www.yourvacationdreams.com
Posted By: dgermann Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 4:15 AM
Oh, one other thing: Would it be possible in the control panel to have it list posts addressed to that user?

IOW, when I log on, can I have a list of posts replying to my posts?

On days when I am in a hurry and looking for an answer to a hot problem, that would be a real Godsend....

[][email protected][/]
Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 4:45 AM
You mean it was really supposed to print? ROFL

I assumed it was like the print hack that was listed in the PHP Hack forum. I had no idea you actually meant for the REALLY PRINT. hehe... < shrugs > Personally, I'd rather have it just give a printer friendly view. Then you click on Print on your browser.

Stratics Forums
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 4:49 AM
Yes, I would have it just as "Print", at any case you can have an alt tag explaining more. But everyone knows what happens when you click on a printer icon, thats one of those things you learn your first week on a computer. Just "Print", and make it automatically print (you can always hit cancel when you have the printer dialog pop up).

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 5:46 AM
Would probably need the full "Email thread to a friend" in the hover text because I am kind of fighting for space as it is to try and keep it from looking to cluttered.

You will not need to scroll left and right. The only reason you need to do that with the screenshots is I took them full screen (1024 x 768).
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 5:47 AM
Yep, that's what I code in. I've got several nxterm windows running at the same time so I can pop back and forth between them all[]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/].
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 5:48 AM
I didn't know you could make it automatically print either[]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/]
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 5:49 AM
Yeah, I think I can put that in. If I forget, just give me another reminder[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 5:50 AM
I was thinking about getting that in, but at this point there are quite a few queries going on in the Control Panel and I don't want to overload it until we get some real testing out of it.
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 5:58 AM
En respuesta a:

Would probably need the full "Email thread to a friend" in the hover text because I am kind of fighting for space as it is to try and keep it from looking to cluttered.

I think "Send to friend" would be sufficient. Anyway... come to think of it... I never see your text since I use the Spanish language files, haha! []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: The Team Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/22/2001 6:48 PM
I love the idea of having the option to have replies to your important messages sent to the control panel, but this would have to be on a per message basis (like "Email relpies to my real address"), else you'd be overlwhelmed with replies.

Scream, To get around the problem of too many queries going on in the control panel, how about sending the reply to Private Messages for now ? It does a query for them on every page anyway so is no extra load. Maybe use a different coloured icon for "replies to forum messages".

BTW, great work so far. It's looking really good !

Bill.

Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/24/2001 4:23 AM
Something I hadnt thought of before:
Whats the real difference between Thread Reminders and Favorite Threads? Dont they both act in the same way? Or is there a real difference in there (like as if when clicking on "Remind me!" it takes you to a screen where it asks you for the title of the reminder while with the "Favorite!" it just shows 3 seconds of a confirmation screen and takes you right back to where you were without the need of giving it a personal tittle).

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/24/2001 5:30 AM
A Reminder is a temporary thing, where as a favorite will probably be for something longer. When you set a reminder, it's basically just used to remind yourself to reply to a thread. As soon as you make a reply the reminder goes away, where as a favorite will remain until you actually remove it from your list.
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/24/2001 5:42 AM
I see... interesting... yes, it sounds very good. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]
Maybe it should be explained in there in a one line roll. Something simple and small such as for the reminder something like "Listed here until you reply to the post."

By the way, after you add a reminder add a favorite or send to friend you are taken right back to the exact page you were at, right?

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/28/2001 5:05 PM
Speaking of the "email to thread to friend" option. How does everyone want to handle this? Do you want the actual thread messages to be emailed or do you want to send out a link to that thread instead?
Posted By: Eileen Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/28/2001 6:29 PM
You might become very unpopular if it's a long thread! Maybe the first message and then the rest listed underneath - the way it is in threaded view.

Posted By: poil Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/28/2001 7:40 PM
i like being able to read the message in my email. how about being able to show maybe 30-40 words or so...

Posted By: Brewskie Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/28/2001 7:45 PM
I dont' see why someone would want to print an entire thread. Especially a popular thread with dozens of posts.

IMO.....I think the Send to Friend and Print stuff would be post specific. Just a little graphic or link to send that particular post to the printer or through the email to friend.

I also think the admin should be able to switch on or off having a link in the email or the whole post....or maybe even the whole thread.

Brew
CustomShowCars.com

Posted By: poil Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/28/2001 9:17 PM
i have been checking the perl versin almost daily now, hoping that i could see some of the new features implemented already! aaahhhhh, haha....i hate waiting for new features...

Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/28/2001 10:00 PM
I agree with including a small portion of the text, but not the entire thread. I small tidbit to get the reader niterested and then a link. Sort of like this:
In reply to:

"So-and-so has forwarded a link to a thread on [sitenamehere]! The thread starts out with...

"... a short paragraph, say 200-255 characters of tyhe body of the message."

To read the rest of the thread, please visit the site here (link embedded in the here text)!

To learn more about [sitenamehere]'s forums, you may visit us here (another link predefined by the admin to a help/info page).

Stratics Forums
Posted By: dgermann Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/29/2001 2:05 AM
Scream--

I vote for the way Brew suggests: just e-mail this particular post in its entirety, and then possibly a link to find the rest of the thread.

People I think are interested in what is said in a particular post, and what they think is important might not be in the first 255 characters, unfortunately.

Will it say who mailed it to them? I think it should.

[][email protected][/]
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/29/2001 4:03 AM
I was thinking of that, and I'm not real sure of a good way to handle individual posts. We could use icons but there wouldn't enough room for text to explain what they are for and I'm worried about clutter as well. For an entire thread it's only a link at the bottom and top of the page for each page instead of having icons for each post.

This will probably end up like some of the other features, I'll start with the entire thread stuff (because the code for that is pretty much done), and then as more people use the features there will be more feedback on how to make it better.
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/29/2001 4:08 AM
I would say there are two common sense options (to me, []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/]) to choose from:
1. Send Page: Sends all posts currently being seen. All content in the current page will be sent. If I am viewing a multipage thread and am at page 3 when I send the page I expect it to send the content of the whole page, that is, all the posts, not the whole thread (that includes page 1 and 2 part=1,part=2). You send what you see. The only time when you send the whole thread is when you are viewing the whole thread (you clicked on "show all"). Makes sense to me.
2. Send Post. Needs a button for every post. You choose what post to send.

Any of these would be acceptable to me. I dont like the idea of sending the first post of a thread, part of a post, or anything other than what you see when you click on Send.

Same thing with the "Print" function. Print the page you are viewing, not the entire thread. Or have a print icon for every post. Whichever.

All that being said for when viewing in showflat. If you are in showthreaded only print/send the post you are viewing. There is no use in printing the reply tittles and authors to the post, not very usefull at all.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/29/2001 5:50 AM
Personally, I always thought the idea of "send to a friend" was to get people to actually click on a link and visit your forums - to be used to allow one person to say "Hey, I really like this discussion, come her eand get involved in it." Not, "Hey, I like this discussion... read it in your mail box, we'll talk about tomorrow on the phone." The idea is to INCREASE traffic on your site. But then again, that's just how I personally see it.

Sending the entire thread is too much IMO. As far as sending the entire page being viewed, that too can become excessive if someone sets their default value to list 40 or so messages per page. Now, a single message, that is certainly acceptable. Although, I think the feature needs to be approached from the standpoint of it being a tool to increase use of your forums. Not send content on your site out to the world.

That is why I like the idea of sending partial information. It forces the reader to visit your site in order to finish the rest of the thread. I think the problem with a lot of these "wishes" and the varying points of view is that a number of us are running our sites in a completely different manner with differing ideas of what helps to build communities. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

So again, my vote is for either a partial message or the single message. Not the entire thread. I can see the feedback already, "Why are you sending this to me!! Stop spamming me!" If it is a single post, it does not appear as excessive to the ones receiving the messages. If they get a five page long email from 20-40 posts, then they get irate.

Now, MTO's point about the print option is a very good one. I like that idea of being able to print a single message. I also like the idea of being able toprint an entire thread. So I'm torn on that concept. A mini printer icon on each message and one at the top/bottom... those nicluded with each post print only the message, the ones at the top/bottom print the entire page.

Stratics Forums
Posted By: Brewskie Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/29/2001 12:55 PM
In reply to:

I like that idea of being able to print a single message. I also like the idea of being able toprint an entire thread. So I'm torn on that concept. A mini printer icon on each message and one at the top/bottom... those nicluded with each post print only the message, the ones at the top/bottom print the entire page.

That's what I was trying to say..........

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/29/2001 5:32 PM
Sorry Brewskie, I missed it in the confusion... Let me rephrase my statement. I fully agree with what Brewskie was saying! []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Stratics Forums
Posted By: patagon Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/29/2001 7:45 PM
Seems logical to me too...

As for the next post that says that the idea is to get them to came to the board: if what you sent them (even if it is the entire thread) is interesting they will come anyway, to add to the discussion or because they know now that your site hosts interesting discussions... i don't believe in the idea of "I'll show you something but you have to click for more" (I don't believe that it works as expected, that is).

My only concern about mailing the entire therad is the intimidating potential size of the mail. Another reason for doing it on a post by post basis is the fact that what gets your attention is ussually one post, even in the context of a discussion (but maybe that's just me...I always wished I could send posts rather than threads as a user). I also would be somewhat lazy if I got a huge email...even my friend does not know if that is actually interesting for me so I would like him/her to show me something interesting and let me decide if it is worth reading more...

Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 12:14 AM
You're right patagon, that's why after thinking about it more and more, I like the idea of sending an entire message. But I think sending the entire thread could get out of hand. It is a tough call. But to be honest, I'd settle for any of the above over no option at all.

Stratics Forums
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 1:45 AM
Ok, here is another screenshot. This will give the user the option to print out an entire thread (The icon at the top of the thread), and also the option to mail an individual post, print an individual post, and notify a moderator of a post (not done with the script for this one). Also would like to have a unique icon for notifying a moderator of the post instead of what is used now.
Posted By: The Team Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 2:11 AM
That looks fantastic Scream! []/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/] I think as a website owner I would like the option of disabling the e-mail function. I haven't made up my mind on whether it's a good thing or not. I love the other two, Print and Notify Moderator. Regarding Notify Moderator, does the admin get a copy also, for those boards not assigned a moderator (I have no moderators at this point)?

http://www.yourvacationdreams.com
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 2:20 AM
If there are no moderators assigned to a forum then the notice would go to the admin.

I'll make config options to turn the email stuff off. Also, most of the stuff won't be available to users that aren't logged in so things won't be overly abused, so if a new user is browsing they won't get the links for favorites, reminders, email, notify. They will probably only get the link for printing the individual posts and threads.
Posted By: dgermann Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 2:51 AM
Scream--

Uhh, could it be a little confusing that these new icons are in the post and the reply and edit ones are in the title bar for that post. In other words, do you click the one above the message you want to e-mail, or below it? []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

[][email protected][/]

PS: Would it improve traffic if visitors not logged in could e-mail the post to a friend?
Posted By: kimroan Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 2:59 AM
In reply to:

If there are no moderators assigned to a forum then the notice would go to the admin.

I'd like to have an admin option to select whether all email should cc to admin no matter moderators was assigned or not. That will be a great feature for admin to tracking unanswered questions.

Also, a great job. Scream. Just can't wait to test the new functions.[]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 3:04 AM
I would preffer the icons aligned to the right, and instead of the text being in the link, having it in the image alt tags so that on mouseover the text displays.

These are icons that should be used lot less than any others, and they dont need to be right in the middle taking space and calling your attention. Right now they are much easier to see than the "Reply" and "Edit" ones themselves... Therefore, I suggest moving them to the right and with the text in the alt tags.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 5:00 AM
I love it! There are a lot of options there, but honestly, they are great options. Looking good! []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Stratics Forums
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 5:38 AM
I tried a few different places for the icons, and most everywhere ended up looking cluttered. I figured since the icons are in the same background color as the body of the post it would be ok, but it may take some more tweaking. Tried adding it next to the reply/edit buttons but it just didn't look good at all.
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 5:39 AM
Forgot your P.S. If you allow anonymous users to send an email there is no way to show who the email is being sent from reliably. When a logged in user uses this function it sends the email from their actual email address so there is some accountability behind it.
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 5:42 AM
I tried moving them over to the right, but it looked very cluttered. I have the Main thread options, Print, Favorite, Reminder, etc on the top and the bottom for ease of use, and when the icons for the individual post options are over to the right they are right next to the thread options on the last post. We can try different placements as things move along as I'd like to do whatever looks best.
Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 8:02 AM
Scream, how about this... add the icons to the right of the topic (similar to the UBB and many other products). Then ensure the ALT options are used so that mouse-overs indicate the purpose of the icons. Like the same attached to this post. Removing the text really eases on the clutter. Another option is to put the icons in a similar pattern, but just below the user image in the left hand cell.

Hmm.. where did the attachment go?

Stratics Forums

Edited by Jhariden on 03/30/01 12:03 AM.

Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 8:04 AM
Tries again...

Stratics Forums
Like Eileen suggested (or did) a flag on the database record for VIP posts and an easy check box for admin/moderators to set it. This would mean there would not be a need to copy "keepers" to another board. You could ad a item to search to display all these VIP messages for browsing.

How about a check box for admins to delete messages quickly in showflat mode. I can check 5,10,20 then hit a doit button at the bottom of the page and they all get zapped at once.

My only other grip is being able to see deleted messges, but I think that will be more complecated and I have my hack to tide me over.

Thanks!!!

Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 4:36 PM
[]http://www.wwwthreads.com/files/10-33266-notifymod.gif[/] Here is an icon for the Notify Moderator.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Attached picture 10-33266-notifymod.gif
Posted By: Brewskie Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/30/2001 7:25 PM
Why not a setup like this Scream?

icons at the bottom of posts

BTW....

Their "quote" link is a really good idea! It would save a bit of hassle instead of having to type [ quote] when you want to quote someone.

Brew
CustomShowCars.com

Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/31/2001 6:05 PM
So you are thinking having everything down there? Edit, Reply, Private Message, Print Post, Email, etc? Or just the Print, Email and Notify stuff.

One thing for everyone to keep in mind, wherever we end up deciding to put this it needs to be some place where there will be enough room for more icons, because I would imagine over time some of the suggested features will require more icons to be added per post.
Posted By: Brewskie Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/31/2001 6:12 PM
I was just making a suggestion and showing what it may look like if you were to put the icons at the bottom of the messages.

I really have no preference either way as I'm just gratefull that you're so willing to do these upgrades anyway.

As far as having enough room for future expansions I would think that the bottom of the posts, on their own line, would be the best place to put this new stuff. Anywhere else may cause problems later on.

The reply and the moderators/admins links to edit the post should probably stay where they are though. I think it's a bit more intuitive there. But added features such as email to friend, send to friend and what not should probably be at the bottom of the posts.

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
Posted By: Eileen Re: Control Panel Curious? - 03/31/2001 8:23 PM
I think they look good on the bottom like that. They'll need to be small though.

Posted By: Jhariden Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/01/2001 5:59 AM
I like them like that too. smile The bottom would leave the added room you're referring to in your post, Scream.

Stratics Forums
Posted By: Mors Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/01/2001 11:05 AM
How about adding for the Admin a list of all other admins and moderators on the site.. Large boards have lots of moderators and would be a good way to keep up with who's who by name listing. I love the control panel.. Would like to test it asap..

Posted By: Jim Osby Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/02/2001 6:37 AM
thread reminders icon should be a finger with a string around it, no?

would give a nice visual sense of what the feature's about...

jim

chowhound.com
For Those Who Live to Eat
Posted By: Jim Osby Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/02/2001 6:59 AM
Scream--

A cool idea (perfect for the control panel):

show all replies to any of your postings since last visit.

In addition to being darned convenient, it will make users compulsively check back often throughout the day. Conditioned response, like AOL's "you've got mail" thing, makes for a much more active, personal relationship between poster and community if the control panel sometimes shows them "mail" (so to speak) sitting there waiting for them when they check back.

Forgive me if I'm being stupid and this has already included...I looked but didn't see it.

JIM

chowhound.com
Posted By: Eileen Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/02/2001 7:26 PM
>>finger with a string around it

YES!

Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 2:26 AM
OK, made a finger with a string... []http://www.wwwthreads.com/files/10-33414-reminder2.gif[/] was quite complicated to draw, heh, heh []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/].

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Attached picture 10-33414-reminder2.gif
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 3:03 AM
Small modification to the multiple pages icon, in being trimmed it wasnt displaying correctly on dark backgrounds: []http://www.wwwthreads.com/files/10-33417-pages.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Attached picture 10-33417-pages.gif
Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 3:08 AM
And finally (I have to post one at a time because of the attachment limit of one, that I do agree with)... a slightly modified "notify moderators", the middle line crossing was thicker than the circle line. []http://www.wwwthreads.com/files/10-33419-notifymod.gif[/] This one should look better.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Attached picture 10-33419-notifymod.gif
Posted By: dgermann Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 3:09 AM
But is it apt to be confusing to the user to find some buttons at the top of a post and some at the bottom? They might wonder if this button operates on this post above or that one below....

I do like the idea of them all in one row, and Scream, we could then wrap them to two rows as it gets more numerous.

Just a thought....

[][email protected][/]
Posted By: dgermann Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 3:13 AM
Jim--
In reply to:

show all replies to any of your postings since last visit

Yes!

[][email protected][/]
Posted By: Eileen Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 3:21 AM
It's great! This devel board is looking really good.

Posted By: Jim Osby Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 4:22 AM
just one "yes"?

this is kind of a holy grail feature...don't know any other message board s/w that does it, and it would profoundly improve user experience. And it's perfect for the control panel.

very surprised that there's not more support for the idea being voiced. but, hey, to each their own! (I'm just one hound!)

jim

chowhound.com
Posted By: Jim Osby Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 4:27 AM
love all your other icons, but this one could be better. I'd make the circle and slash red, and make 'em thicker. Right now it's kind of murky, hard to see what it is. should instantly convey to the viewer an "emergencies only" vibe, IMO. This one's inert.

chowhound.com
Posted By: Rick Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 4:31 AM
Probably the reason for just the one yes is because I had explained earlier why this really couldn't be done for the control panel[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]. To give a quick recap, the number of queries necessary to get the control panel view is quite large and to show the latest replies to your posts would add quite a few more, way more than optimal for one page.

However, this really is a good idea but we'll need to figure out where to place it because for the number of queries necessary to do this it needs to be on a page all it's own.
Posted By: Jim Osby Showing Me Replies to My Postings - 04/03/2001 5:31 AM
Ah, ok, Scream. Apologies for not having read through more thoroughly; wish I had time to hang around here.

It strikes me one the solution could also address the fact that there are now three ways to set age views ("view recent messages", "show threads active in...", and the prefs option), which is a bit sloppy and confusing.

On my site (currently using wwwboard), we've brewed up a feature which creates a mini meta forum index console which shows all new postings as of a user-configurable date (wish it did it to the hour, but currently only by date). If W3T were to implement a solution something vaguely like this, that would consolidate the age/recent stuff, plus you could "show replies to my postings since that date" by highlighting or otherwise marking those replies.

We have users launch this feature via javascript, so the window can be sized small. To see that, use the link to "HotPosts" atop my homepage at http://www.chowhound.com/main.html

To go directly to HotPosts (and resize yourself), go to http://www.chowhound.com/hotpost/hotposttoo.cgi

chowhound.com
Posted By: Eileen Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 7:16 PM
No. It's perfect the way it is. Red would draw too much attention to it.

Posted By: MTO Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 9:20 PM
Yes, I wouldnt want it to be too eye appealing... its the icon that I wish they were less attracted to. And hopefully only the users who often post would use it, so not being too eye catching will not be a problem as by the time they know when a post should not be there they will also know what that link is for. Anyway, here is another version, with a thicker circle... []http://www.wwwthreads.com/files/10-33499-notifymod_dark.gif[/] I still preffer the previouss one. But as always, other users can always come up with new icons, or install one that is not the default, so if you like this one more than the other grab it just in case. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Attached picture 10-33499-notifymod_dark.gif
Posted By: Jim Osby Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 9:38 PM
Eileen--you hypothesized in another thread that perhaps you'd "grown up", but the following replies from you:

<<<<No. It's perfect the way it is. Red would draw too much
<<<<attention to it.

and...

<<<<NO!

sound like they're from a four year old snippy girl. As was the case several months ago, I've taken a fair bit of time and energy (both in short supply for me) to closely analyze a program which I don't even use, and your responses on issues where you disagree have been undistilled flame bait. This time I won't take the bait.

Eileen, you don't have to agree with me...in fact, you can emphatically disagree! But your tone would surely discourage those more sensitive than me from making the effort to to help brainstorm this software. Your tone says "I vote no, so [censored] off", and it says it with considerable edge, too. You are rudely swatting opinions, and I'd suggest that this is the precise opposite of the proper role of a "moderator".

I'll take your reply off the radio. You get the last word.

Jim Leff

chowhound.com
Posted By: Eileen Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 10:07 PM
That's fair.
If Chow ever actually starts using w3t, he can even color it red. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Posted By: Eileen Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/03/2001 10:22 PM
Hehe, that's me - "a four year old snippy girl"!

I humbly apologise for offending sensitivities.

Posted By: Derek Self Search - 04/04/2001 6:59 PM
Scream,

You might consider putting a "Self Search" as a link in the new Control Panel. I agree, you do not want to try to include something like this very useful []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/] feature in the new panel.

This "Self Search" could even become a main link at the top of the screen, along with Main Index, Search, etc., and would bring up a page with all a poster's posts, and any posts addressed to the poster, in reverse chronological order.

Derek

Posted By: poil Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/11/2001 4:37 PM
since maybe no one brought this up, couple of suggestions for control panel:
1. For thread reminders and favorite thread, maybe a check box for delete this thread, instead of the remove icon. i have already wanted to remove two or more threads from both.

2. It would also work out well if the icons in the Main Configuration table were clickable. I tried clicking on them and was fooled and then had to move my mouse all the way to the right. and by the time i got there i didn't wnat to change anything. and that edit icon should be clickable too.

3. When the new version comes out i plan on doing a couple of things. Making a Favforum.php so that users will just hav eto go to that to show only there fav forums. I don't care that people will miss oher posts. when i go to forums these days i only go to a specific forum.
maybe only allow the user to do that after a certain amount of posts. really i would want to split up the control panel and allow a page that a user could go to.

4. the image uses for remove does not represent remove, i thnk a trash can would better represent that.

5. Friends Online, maybe it should show everyone from your adress book and show an online icon/text. but i guess if your adress book is big it could cause a problem. i could see me wanting to pm someone in my adress book, but having to click a couple of times to get there would suck. ?? i don't know.

6. Just an idea. maybe some text about why you wanted a reminder for that thread. i wanted to talk about how eileens point about this was a good idea.

7. Report this post to a moderator should maybe include some text like, your are reporting this post as Username. and a text box as to why you are reporting this post. it is againts my religion to see the word brooh ha ha, and i was wondering if you can censor it for me?

my list of w3t improvements are long.

Edited by poil on 04/11/01 09:49 AM (server time).

Posted By: nemesis23 Re: Self Search - 04/12/2001 8:17 PM
In reply to:

You might consider putting a "Self Search" as a link in the new Control Panel.

That's what I was going to suggest. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamie Marie
BuffyGuide.com

Posted By: Gerrit Re: Control Panel Curious? - 04/13/2001 12:25 PM
I wish there was an option to include a list of all new posts in the favorite forums list (e.g. via preferences to include it or not). I would love to have just that "Control Panel" as one central place, where I can immediately see which new threads or replies there are in my favorite forums, and not just how many.

Gerrit
SpiritBoard
http://www.channeling.net
© UBB.Developers