UBB.Dev
Posted By: Brett [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/28/2003 10:28 AM
Title: PM Folders

Tested on ubb: 6.4.0.1/6.5.0

Description: Organizes PM's into Folders/Custom Folders.

Download: https://www.ubbdev.com/ubb/upload/00006378/PMFolders6.4.zip

Special Thanks: BassTeQ

Demo: (*currently down*)

NOTE: The demo pictures don't work, because of unset permissions, just ignore them. wink

Bug fixes since last version:
  • 1.0 - Inital release for 6.3
  • 1.1 - Port To 6.4(bug fixes, looks at the new ubb public name list, instead of trying to make it's own)
  • 1.2 - CP Integration

TODO:
  • Allow sorting of messages by date, subject and unread
Posted By: Mirek Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/28/2003 12:21 PM
Wow, very nice, does this include the mailbox quota and other things I see in your PM system, or are those separate hacks?
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/28/2003 1:00 PM
Yes, everything you see in the my profile demo, is included.

Thanks, btw. smile
Posted By: Saxeus Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/28/2003 4:33 PM
yow, that looks great!!!

In fact for my board I'd like to not have the "Compose PM" by User Name, because sometimes people use numbers or characters that others don't understand, so I would keep only the "by User Number" only, if that's possible.

Also, the Member Ratings when from the board is off, does it disappear in this too?
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/28/2003 4:41 PM
Thanks! laugh

To remove the User Number search, look into public_pm_folders_summary.pl and public_pm_folders_review.pl and remove the following code:[code][/code]When member ratings is off, it will disappear from this. smile
Posted By: Saxeus Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/28/2003 4:59 PM
I'll try to install it right now.

THANKS Brett! smile
Posted By: Ellen Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/29/2003 1:25 AM
Worked perfectly the first time!! Thanks so much!
Posted By: Chasm Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/29/2003 1:57 AM
seems to work very nicely smile
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/29/2003 3:50 AM
Wow, Brett, this looks very sweet!

I'm going to start working on my upgrade again; this will be one of the mods I'll try out.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/29/2003 3:54 AM
Hey brett, I think that your last two:

Code
[/code]Need to be:
[code]
A raw install of this script on my sites black/blue design looed odd due to our text colour being white and the default background colour of your script being white also lol... Looks nice though...
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/29/2003 4:06 AM
Brett, its looking for icon.gif in my noncgi/icon's folder, which doesn't exist. Also (final one i swear), when a user removes a pm it isn't placing it in the trash.
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/29/2003 5:12 AM
Your right about the template bgcolors ($vars_style{TableStripTextColor}). I have updated the zip with the changes. You only need to reupload the templates. smile

Your icon problem, shouldn't happen. Pretty much impossible. It looks directly where it should. But for the sake of it, i clutched it, to see that if $icon doesn't exist, reset it to icon1.gif.

If your referencing to a user pm deleteing it from the sent box, then that's the way it's supposed to be. For now, sent msgs can't be taken into any other folder. Now if your referring to any other folder, then we've got a problem... frown

Thanks to all the feedback so far! laugh
Posted By: Saxeus Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/29/2003 12:36 PM
It's a sweetness, two thumbs up for Brett smile
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/29/2003 2:39 PM
Hey brett, think about having a small control panel addition so one can customise colours a little eariser? Well, the colours that would be interesting to play with (you know I have):

Background Colour
Border Colour
Quota Bar Colour
Quota "Widget" Colour

I'm sure there is others :x... Wouldn't really need to have a cpannel section per say, possibly just have it defined in the wordlet files or style settings...
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/29/2003 2:49 PM
Sounds interesting. I'll get on it. smile
Posted By: Saxeus Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/30/2003 10:56 AM
quote:
TODO:
Allow sorting of messages by date, subject and unread
Brett, the hack works like a charm, but I'd beg you to include something in your To Do list smile
My members are asking me about having a link from ultimatebb.cgi (maybe under the "Welcome Member [log out]" words. (or making the link in the words "Inbox of PM: You have # new messages" that are in the PM Mailbox)

P.S. I ask you this since PM Notification hack doesn't work frown
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/30/2003 1:53 PM
The PM Notification works, it just has a flaw. I downloaded the 6.2 version and got it to work. here's the Doc i made. I take no credit, whatsoever, for this mod.

Luckily, ubb 6.5 will have this integrated...
Posted By: Saxeus Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/30/2003 5:26 PM
Thank you smile
Posted By: Bob Ferguson Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/30/2003 6:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Brett:
The PM Notification works, it just has a flaw. I downloaded the 6.2 version and got it to work. here's the Doc i made. I take no credit, whatsoever, for this mod.

Luckily, ubb 6.5 will have this integrated...
Brett:

A couple of weeks ago, I posted here asking if it was possible to make the PM Notification flash (in any color) when someone has a private message waiting for them. Some kind person responded by emailing me a tiny file titled blinker.js. But they did not tell me what to do with it or how to incorporate it to invoke it. Can you help me with this?

TIA confused
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/30/2003 6:42 PM
I don't know what's in blinker.js, but i can give you this, which doesn't require blinker.js.

http://www.ivegeta.com/flash.txt (go to view -> source)

And then replace the color 'gold' with one of your choice.
Posted By: Bob Ferguson Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/30/2003 10:07 PM
It Works! THANK YOU!!! Is there a way to make it to continue blinking until the member clicks the PM link? Right now, I notice that it will blink approx 7 times, then stop.

TIA
Posted By: Mirek Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/31/2003 8:32 AM
Works great (thank you Brett smile )

except.... one tiny html error , most of you won't even be able to tell; it only shows up in mozilla/netscape and probably also has a lot to do with the way I have my tables set up in the headers and footers... it messes them up btw

I have tracked it down to the below section of html (shortly after the list of users) :
[code][/code]The last line should not be there, should be on there just twice... I couldn't track down where it was generating this, maybe one of you guru's could help out.

could perhaps be an extra tag somewhere else... but I don't think so
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/31/2003 9:11 AM
Bob Ferguson: Two questions: What's your browser? And are your members viewing it to stop after 7 blinks? Because it doesn't stop blinking for me. confused (I use the newest Internet Explorer 6.0)

Mirek: Does this error occur on both the review and summary pages, or just one(which one)?
Posted By: Mirek Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/31/2003 10:37 AM
Brett: sorry, only in the main folder summary ( ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=my_profile )

right between the list of users that have been rated by you and the Contact Us | Home Page links in the html

Thanks again,
Mirek
Posted By: Saxeus Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/31/2003 4:04 PM
Brett, I noticed something too, when you get a new PM message, and you open the page with the PM messages list, it has the unread message in bold, but after replying, and then getting back the answer of that pm, in the page says you have a new message, when you get in PM list, you can't see which is the unread message because it is not in bold. Can this be fixed?
Posted By: Bob Ferguson Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/31/2003 5:25 PM
quote:
[QB] Bob Ferguson: Two questions: What's your browser? And are your members viewing it to stop after 7 blinks? Because it doesn't stop blinking for me. confused (I use the newest Internet Explorer 6.0)
I'm also using I.E. v6.0 & another member who is using I.E. v6.0 said he gets approx 5-7 blinks, then it stops. He also went on to say that when it was blinking, he had no PM's in the inbox.
Posted By: twslex Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 01/31/2003 5:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Ferguson:
quote:
[qb]Originally posted by Brett:
[QB] Bob Ferguson: Two questions: What's your browser? And are your members viewing it to stop after 7 blinks? Because it doesn't stop blinking for me. confused (I use the newest Internet Explorer 6.0)[/qb]
I'm also using I.E. v6.0 & another member who is using I.E. v6.0 said he gets approx 5-7 blinks, then it stops. He also went on to say that when it was blinking, he had no PM's in the inbox.
They only onces i have who are complaining that flashing ain't working, are the peeps who are using ie6 (with and wit updates) So it seems a javascript engine buggie think.
Posted By: Mirek Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/02/2003 9:45 AM
Anyone have an idea about my html problem (above); I still can't find where it is generating that... frown
Posted By: Fahd Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/02/2003 7:46 PM
Nice work Brett thumbsup Another feature request would be this . It'd be a lot of work (I'm guessing), but it would look nice with this one smile
Posted By: Mirek Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/03/2003 10:23 AM
I got a friend to help me fix the html problem:

In public_pm_folders_summary.pl
[code][/code]
Posted By: Mirek Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/03/2003 9:49 PM
Found another error

When I create a folder, then rename it and try to delete it, I get "The PM Folder you tried to delete did not appear in the file."

Mirek

edit: ok.. it's only doing that with the first folder I made..., if I make another and rename it, it deletes fine
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/04/2003 8:28 AM
Thanks for HTML fix there, Mirek! And your right about the Renaming/Deleting folder thing.

I was also able to recreate Saxeus's problem.

I undated the zip file with the fix. The files to reupload are public_pm_folders_summary.pl and ubb_folders.cgi. smile
Posted By: Risperdal Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/04/2003 6:50 PM
didnt u forget something? it says at the end of the text file: [code][/code]
Posted By: Saxeus Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/04/2003 6:55 PM
Hi Brett,

I reinstalled the updated files, and after that I also installed the PM Email hack you did, (I admit I'm being impressed by your hacks) but when I got in my board, I noticed that all the message I've had in my Inbox, (which are already read) were now all bold. I opened one and got back to the list, it was still bold.

It was easier for board members to realize which PM was unread and which was read, because of its "bold" or "not bold" subject. Any way to fix it?

P.S. I tested the PM Email hack also, but it didn't send the email, nor even give an error that it couldn't send, though I am able to receive email message when I get a PM from a member.
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/04/2003 11:47 PM
D10: Hehe, sorry about that. I'm preparing to add a cp addon to that, and forgot to take it out of the docs. wink

Saxeus: I just updated the zip, try reuploading the ubb_folders.cgi, i got the same thing and was able to fix mine. Also, did the PM Email hack tell you it was sending the emails?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/05/2003 5:36 AM
there are 2-4 places that specify how many replies to a pm and how many pm's can be stored. If you are making a cp_addon, is it possible to include these 2 settings as modifiable?
Posted By: Mirek Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/05/2003 6:41 AM
Brett: no problem, glad I could help a tiny bit.

AllenAyres: great idea
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/05/2003 7:11 AM
danke smile

another one would be to make the number of stored pm's different for admins/mods and the regular grunts wink
Posted By: Mirek Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/05/2003 7:57 AM
yet another good idea Allen

Just had one myself... working PM notification into the content islands... I don't guess that would really belong with this hack though.
Posted By: Risperdal Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/05/2003 5:06 PM
I like this mod just 1 thing I think that should be improved: when I try to compose a new pm with the user name field I cant put the displayed name in it. Only the login name works. Since a lot of people on my board have a different login name than the displayed name it doesnt really work!

And a question: why is there an empty link? When I delete a pm it automatticly empties the trash folder so I think the empty function is for nothing
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/05/2003 5:33 PM
Allen & Mirek: All very good ideas, tho i haven't had a through look at the content islands yet, i don't think it would be a big problem. I'll be sure to add them, ASAP! Thanks! smile

D10: The displayed name is a designed behavior for the ubb, and has nothing to do with this hack. However, a hack can be devised to do such an act(with the new public names memberlist file wink ) Also the empty link, is to do what it says, empty the PM's out of a folder to the trash can. It was just thought of, so save time, instead of going into each one, if your doing a mass delete for example.
Posted By: Fahd Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/05/2003 9:05 PM
Wait-a-sec didn't the PM folders 6.3 version allow us to use the "displayed name" rather than the login name confused .

Anyways nice work so far Brett smile
Posted By: Zarzal Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/06/2003 1:21 AM
great hack, but a little problem. I get the latest .zip file (4.2.2003) and it show like that on my board:

[Linked Image]

Any idea how to remove the white and replace with an other color ?
Posted By: Risperdal Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/06/2003 5:46 PM
yeah search in the code for: and change it to the color u want. Or change it to: $vars_style{BGColor}
Posted By: Bob Ferguson Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/06/2003 6:15 PM
The two files u need to edit are public_pm_folders_review.pl and public_pm_folders_summary.pl. Just search for #ffffff & replace it with your preferred color (I use "cornsilk").
Posted By: Zarzal Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/06/2003 7:51 PM
Thank you... work well and look much better.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/14/2003 6:47 AM
See, this is why brett needs to make it so you can customize colours in the cp :-x... wouldn't be that hard, just have a vars file (vars_pm_folders.cgi) or something to hold the settings, have every setting save as a wordlet, it'd be kind of cool and everyone could update their settings in a few clicks wink ...

::streaches:: time to go afk for another 3 weeks :x...
Posted By: Risperdal Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/14/2003 4:16 PM
As soon as i find out how the vars work ill try to add it but im not every good at perl
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/18/2003 2:31 AM
LK had a thing you could use to base it off of possibly (with his permission of corse), I think it was his Calendar Mod...
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/21/2003 6:44 AM
I couldn't make the wordlets show up until I made all PM -> pm confused

And I get this at the top of the pm summary:
Private Message Inbox: You have %%NUM%% new messages

I may try making NUM -> num and see of that fixes it. smile

Very nice mod tho Brett laugh
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/21/2003 6:52 AM
fixed the %%NUM%% when I lower-cased the PM's in the ubb_folders file smile

this looks real good laugh
Posted By: Painfool Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 03/13/2003 6:03 AM
Works Great in 6.5!
Posted By: Painfool Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 03/14/2003 2:55 AM
Only one thing I see should be corrected.

In the public_pm_folders_review.pl

This section:
Code
[/code]Should be:
[code]
Adds Font color to Table Strip Header. When not there it may default to a color that is not easily read. (Mine was black on a brown background)

Great Mod Thanks!
Mike
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 03/14/2003 4:43 PM
Hrm, I put this one off too long. shocked I've been at it for the last couple of hours and think i've got it pretty good. I fixed so many things, i lost count. : Mostly template fixes.

I think i fixed Allen's problem(tho i never got that error smile by making the replacement incase sensitive.

I finally added CP options and put them into the Private Messages page. Added option to turn on/off PM Folders, option to turn on/off the now integrate PM Emails, Limit number of folders, limit number of new private messages a user can have, the ability to limit the number of replies a topic can have and a couple of color options for the quota bar.

I'm leaving for Kansas City(for a concert tipsy
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 03/14/2003 5:26 PM
Wow, you have been a busy little monkey! lol... I'll rehack everything when I get my lappy back from dell, thanks for the updates smile .
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 04/09/2003 9:40 PM
I have an interesting phenomenom happening at my board with the PMs, PM folders.

Here's what a member told me:

quote:
I have the email notification turned on in my profile. Teo PM'd me one evening and I got email notification of the PM. Unfortunately, it nevered showed up in my PM. At the same time, I started getting constant notification on the message board that I had a new PM. I deleted all of the PMs in my Inbox and Sent folders except for the initial PM I received about ADWOFF. I created a separate folder for that and moved it out of my Inbox. Now I have nothing in my Inbox or Sent folder, but am still getting the notification that I have PM.
This happened to me when I first upgraded from 6.3 to 6.5 ... then I had to reinstall everything to get rid of some bug issues, and my PM "miscount" went away.

So, the problem, in a nutshell, is that if a PM is deleted before it's read, the PM notification still tells you that there is a PM that hasn't been read.

Does this issue make sense?

Is there any way to solve it?

Thanks!
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 04/13/2003 1:35 PM
Hrm. Defintely odd.

To put it into perspective, the PM is not totally deleted until it is deleted from the Trash folder. Sent items aren't sent there and are just deleted.

This hack doesn't touch anything about how the PM's are read. It is a cookie issue, evidentally.

I will take a closer look at this, now.
Posted By: ZeNissart Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 04/20/2003 3:53 AM
i've got the same problem frown
(It says "10 new PM" for example... if I read 8 of them, the indicator "10 new PM" remains on the main forum page confused )
Posted By: Painfool Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 04/25/2003 2:32 AM
I have the same problem - per Charles Capps I submitted a trouble ticket as it seems they have script that will re-consolidate the PM messages to correct missing or corrupt PM messages (which cause the miscount apparently) Well, once they got there they can't run the scripts due to hacks being installed. *sigh* And to impress me even more they left my board turned off all day smile

Does PM Folders change anything in the basic PM Folder setup ? Im pretty certain it is just a template hack correct?

Thanks!

Note: One way to clear the PM Notification is to delete the usernumber.cgi file in the PM_Notify Folder under Members. But I do not know what ramifications this has since the PM's if they actually exist, are still there. I will delve into it alittle deeper to see how hard it is to remove all the traces of someones PM folders to correct the issue.
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 04/25/2003 9:59 AM
!? This is not good. I can't see how this is happening, tho. When the PM is sent to different folders, then the file itself is modified. (It just adds a hash to it, nothing else) But for the most part, yes, this is mostly a template hack. The install changes little in the ubb files. Nothing that would interfere with the process of writing to files.

To sort out the basic questions: What UBB are you using and what hacks have you installed, please?
Posted By: Painfool Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 04/28/2003 8:35 PM
Version 6.5

The Hacks I have installed are

Calendar
Hypercells
Quick Reply
Spell Check
Forum Topic and Category Separation Template Mod
One Signature Per Thread
Modifications Wordlets etc.
PM Folders
Some editing to Templates to remove Extra
space etc.
Posted By: Mirek Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 05/05/2003 9:35 AM
What variable stores the max number of messages allowed? It needs to be plugged in for 60 below if the max number of pm's is changed (or the number can just be edited in)

in ubb_folders.cgi:
[code][/code]ps
Great work on this mod, the updated version is looking much better smile
Posted By: Ian Spence Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 06/18/2003 6:33 PM
I'm getting a 404 error when I try to download it, would you be able to reupload it soon?
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 06/18/2003 10:22 PM
Sorry the server went down, it should be up by tomorrow.
Posted By: Ian Spence Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 06/22/2003 10:17 PM
any news on the server?
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 07/02/2003 1:23 AM
quote:
!? This is not good. I can't see how this is happening, tho. When the PM is sent to different folders, then the file itself is modified. (It just adds a hash to it, nothing else) But for the most part, yes, this is mostly a template hack. The install changes little in the ubb files. Nothing that would interfere with the process of writing to files.

To sort out the basic questions: What UBB are you using and what hacks have you installed, please?
Brett,

I'm sorry I never responded to this for you.

Life has definitely gotten in my way. tipsy

I'm using 6.5, and I don't know if I can even remember all the hacks I've installed, but I'll give it a shot:

Calendar
News fader
PM folders tipsy
Page Index
Smilie Pulldown
Message Icon Pulldown
Custom Titles/Rank
Location of moderators on front page
Spoiler Hack
No count in some forums

Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Since my members are still having issues with this, I thought I'd come back and see if anyone has de-bugged it yet.

----

Note, I think this happens IF someone deletes a PRIVATE MESSAGE before he/she reads it.

For example, I get e-mail notification on private messages, so a lot of times I don't feel compelled to read the "actual PM." If I delete the PM, the PM indicator will still act as if I haven't read the PM (which is true), but the PM is no longer there.

I don't know if this helps or not.
Posted By: Sammie Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 11/07/2003 4:51 AM
Has someone a working link for this hack?
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 11/07/2003 1:48 AM
link fixed
PMFolders6.4.zip
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [6.4 - 6.5] [beta] PM Folders - 02/05/2004 2:40 AM
Howsabout 6.7?
© UBB.Developers