UBB.Dev
Posted By: MegaW Changes don't "take" - 02/07/2006 10:23 PM
Newbie question:

I've been messing with the public_ files using the _very_ helpful instructions present here and in here , to create a forum using a new style set and template.

The problem is that the changes don't "take" - I've modified the forum settings in the control panel (to use the new template & style), and cleared the cache - but any changes I make don't seem to have any effect...

Is there some other setting that I need to change?

MegaW
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Changes don't "take" - 02/08/2006 2:22 AM
Clearing the cache is what updates the files; be sure you clear the cache after any template updates as stale information can and will be stored in the cache
Posted By: MegaW Re: Changes don't "take" - 02/08/2006 11:22 AM
I've been doing that, but no luck
Posted By: LK Re: Changes don't "take" - 02/08/2006 10:13 PM
Are you sure you uploaded the updated template files to the correct folder (/noncgi/Templates or /ubb/Templates)?
Posted By: MegaW Re: Changes don't "take" - 02/09/2006 4:27 PM
I created a folder under the Templates directory, and uploaded my files there. The template is being detected by the control panel, so I doubt that that is the issue...
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Changes don't "take" - 02/10/2006 2:53 AM
Unless you've already set up alternative HTML template sets, you'll need to overwrite the original files instead of using a subdirectory.

Note that there's a bit more magic to alternative HTML template sets than just making the subdirectory. wink The control panel isn't quite smart enough to determine whether or not it's set up right. It just assumes that it is.

Copy the public_common file into the subdirectory. Edit the copy - on line 12, you'll see:

$template_html{"PUBCOMMON"} = "";

Place the directory name between the double quotes there, i.e.

$template_html{"PUBCOMMON"} = "test";

Without this change, the alternative HTML templates won't get loaded properly.
Posted By: MegaW Re: Changes don't "take" - 02/10/2006 2:58 AM
I am trying to set up an alternative template, so I can use 2 templates in different parts of the website.

It's this "magic" that I am looking for. Was hoping the two links above would guide me in the right direction.
© UBB.Developers