Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hi,

I want to host my UBB on a dedicated Server.
Yesterday i bought a used cobalt qube 2 Server.
Is there anybody who knows about the perfomance of an UBB on this server? I think
the qube 2 is combarable to a cobalt Raq2.
Some Details are: 250 Mhz Risc Prozessor, 128 MB RAM (PS/2-EDO SiMMS), 4,3 GB HDD.
The UBB has max 50 Persons on it at the same time and there are 70-100 new Topics
everey day. Internet Connection is very fast.
Is this enough?
What do you think about it?

In case of posting this in the wrong forum please answer where i have to post
this topic correctly.

Sorry for my "english" wink

Thanks and greetings

Stefan

Sponsored Links
Oh God a qube 2....
Well I suggest first killing cgi-wrap which will mess with the usage of UBB, and .htaccess is never right on them, But they are great boxes, I have one setting bellow my desk setup as a mailserver, thats really all its good for.
With that few users, you should be set, it won't transfer a ton of info, if you don't have several members...
[edit]
Also, signup for the cobalt knowledge database, you'll need an account to axxs all the good help, and file fixes, besure to update everything, IE, os updates, security updates....
[/edit]

[ March 09, 2001: Message edited by: The Prohacker ]

Prohacker,

What exactly is cgiwrap? My current webhosting ISP is using it and I managed to get UBB installed onto it after a few inital hassles, but none the less I am going to switch ISPs pretty soon..

AgentX

CGI-Wrap is a security program that allows cgi programs such as ubb not to alter dir's out sides the users dir.
quote:
For most people it can be made to work fine, but on the Qube2 I have, I've just disabled cgi and the use of htaccess...

Veteran
Veteran
I use the SuEXEC that comes in Apache. After learning how to properly edit the suexec.h file and configuring my directory structure properly I find SuEXEC works way better then cgiwrap for running SUID.

I tried cgiwrap once and found it to be far more difficult then the gains it gives. SuEXEC is totally transparant and doesn't require .htaccess files or other nonesense. The whole key is pathing the .h file right, getting your dir structure right and making sure you put user and group id's into your httpd.conf for Vhosts and then your users never know it is even there.

[edited - getting tired, this sentence made no sense so I removed it]

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Sponsored Links
CGI-Wrap comes default on Cobalt boxes, which becomes a pain the the a** to get rid of. I've finally figured out what files I need to hack to eliminate the calls. Just to bad I can't put another os on the Cobalt hardware becuase the hardware setup is one of the best server configs ever... Just the OS sucks..

Veteran
Veteran
I removed it from a friend's.. cgiwrap that is...the old fashioned way. Downloaded the latest Apache and recompiled it. Trashed the httpd.conf and started clean.Then I got rid of that horrible version of named. And half a dozen other things like updated to the latest ProFTPD. By the time I was all done that goofy control panel thing was gone but it began to resemble a decent O/S and was a server I could almost live with.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
I didn't rebuild apache, just replace many of the files, and code them into it. The admin pannel is still there and intact which is the best part of the os. So easy to admin. And the qube under my desk makes a great foot rest....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63