Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#86403 11/11/2002 9:37 PM
Bet you thought I'd say I was back again, heh.
Nah, that's not the case. I just had some things I wanted to say, and felt now was a good time to say it.

Well, I've realized that I don't think I can ever really return to the former life I had here at UBBDev...too many things have happened to make it not possible...I've made some mistakes here that can't be erased, and it seems they couldn't be forgotten either. I tried to come back but...It just can't happen. Not yet, at least, and most likely not ever. It stil baffles me how I could have been so childish, but that's just how things were, I suppose.

I'll still come around here once every so often, but after becoming a laughingstock for the 3 or 4 times I said (and thought) I'd come back here and stay here and then not being able to go through with it, I don't really think I can commit the same time here I used to.

Even just posting this message brings back memories I've repressed..it angers and saddens me how for lack of a better word, stupid, I was back then.

Anyway...I'll bet the great majority of you (especially non-staff) have no idea what I'm talking about, so don't worry about it. All you who are in that category need to know is I made some mistakes here a couple years ago (Wow, it's really been that long...).

So...I hope everyone's doing well. I see there are over 19,000 members...I remember when the huge count we were all waiting for was either 6,7, or 8,000...It was such a big deal, and after that members kept pouring in at increasingly faster rates. It gladdens me that this place is becoming even more of a success and great place than it always was.

As for what I've been doing; it's not much...I've been focusing on school; I'm a senior now in high school. I've brought my grades up, and have a better outlook on the world. My web host never did go back up, sadly, so I never could get a UBB uploaded and work on UBB mods for it.

Anyway, to all those who knew me from the past, I hope you all are doing well. And to those who didn't know me and never heard of me, I wish you all well too, and regret not being able to get to know you.

I tried to think of words of advice, and here's what I came up with:

-Always think before you act. Trust me, if you don't, it will come back to hurt you.
-Work with what you love, for when you love your work, it is no longer work at all.
-Never lose sight of your dreams. (Corny, but true)
-Don't be selfish or arrogant. It's bad. While you may be better at one or two things than some people, you're not better than everyone at everything.
-Don't apologize too much (Hehe)

As I've often said...this isn't a "goodbye", this is a "Until we meet again." I do think I'll come back here someday, but I fear the name "Dark Templar" will always bring memories of the past to mind. Unfortunately, me being the person that I am, I could never go by another name here. That would mean I was ashamed of being me, and I'm not.

If anyone wants to contact me for any reason, I'll be glad to talk to you, whether it be for help with a UBB Hack, Perl Programming in general, tell me about events that have passed, want my opinion on how a graphic or design looks, or just if you want to know more about me...my AIM's AncientSephiroth and my email's still [email protected].

Have a nice day! smile

[Edit]oh, and a small note, I will be here for a while to read replies laugh [/Edit]

-DT
Sponsored Links
Nice to hear from you Dark Templar. I still remember the times when you, me, and Greg played UT together all the time. Those were good times, hope we can do that again. Well I have been sort of dormat as well. I just thought I would pop in tonight and post some messages and catch up on old times. =P

Strange how things work out, sometimes.
Interesting coincidences, that is.

-DT
Ahh DT, Nice to hear from you again. smile

#86407 11/12/2002 11:10 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
um...who are you again? tipsy

laugh

Sponsored Links
#86408 11/12/2002 12:11 PM
Deb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hi DT. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. It sounds like a few things have turned around for you. I'm glad to hear it. smile

We're all human, no one is perfect and we all make mistakes. We are all changing and growing each day. We live and learn. Perhaps, as small as we are, as individuals we can make a difference... add something positive. Life goes on. smile

Don't be a stranger!

- Deb
quote:
Originally posted by tackaberry:
um...who are you again? tipsy

laugh

Either you're being sarcastic, or I might dare to call you a "newbie" laugh . Hehe, just kidding.

quote:
[qb]Originally posted by Deb:
Hi DT. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. It sounds like a few things have turned around for you. I'm glad to hear it. smile

We're all human, no one is perfect and we all make mistakes. We are all changing and growing each day. We live and learn. Perhaps, as small as we are, as individuals we can make a difference... add something positive. Life goes on. smile

Don't be a stranger!
[/qb]
I won't. smile The quarter just ended for school (thank God!) so I've got quite a bit more free time. Who knows, I may convince myself that I can still be around here without developing more mods for UBBs; I just don't have that drive to make UBB mods anymore, not completely sure why. Heck, I still have a half-finished stars/status mod for the later version of the UBB that implemented a control panel ranks type system. If I recall correctly, I finished all the reading and processing coding & HTML, but didn't finish the control panel part.

I need to remember to post my collection of funny graphics I've collected in the past few months, they're pretty good.

Also, a few months ago I finished that Ultima Chat script I was working on for a while; if I ever get a webserver I'll be able to show it off with all its nice features laugh .

-DT
Several months later, a mysterious figure drops by to say hi again. wink

Graduated high school last June - onto college, starting August 25th; I'm going to be majoring in Computer Science at California State University, Fullerton. I look forward to it. smile

Recently I've been spending a lot of my time helping out with a game called graal ( graalonline.com ) - it has its own scripting langauge called GraalScript which I've had a lot of fun working with, me being the scripter that I am. smile

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and wish everyone well again. And it's been bugging me for a while, and it's probably something simple/stupid, but...what happened to all the dates/times? Why does it say 'fro0t' instead of the date? Just seems weird frown

Haven't checked the v6 mods forum out yet, but I'm hoping to see some new and interesting things. In fact, I think I'll do that now. *does so* laugh

-DT
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
hehe... about fro0t you gotta update your profile..

CTM Offline
Moderator / Da Masta
Moderator / Da Masta
It's been a year already, huh, DT? smile

Anyway, I'm glad to see you've graduated, congratulations smile I hope you enjoy your college course and that it goes well for you. Don't forget to tell us how you got on when you finish it wink

It's good to hear from an old face again; it seems that these days the older members are drifting away, which is quite a shame. Hopefully some more people will return soon.

UBB has evolved greatly since you left; there's loads of new, fresh ideas from the 6.4/6.5 forums here at UBBDev. I'm sure we'll keep it up. wink

See you soon, DT... smile

Sponsored Links
Ah, I updated my profile last night anyway to change my sig and AIM name, and now I see dates; this is much, much better.

Oh, and I still haven't gotten that webhosting yet, but within two weeks I'll most likely be ordering some from a business a friend of mine works at and directed me to; they have rather cheap packages there ( tuxvsp.net ).

In a couple of days I need to take a test in order to not take a basic programming class, so I need to finish reading the book from the course so I pass the test; sometime when I have spare time I'll take a look at all these new features.

6.5. Wow.

And me, an older member? Nahhh.

Edit: Now that I can see the dates...wow...the forums seem a lot slower nowadays...I remember waking up every day to several new posts in each forum; yet I see few forums with today as the last post day... frown

-DT

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63