Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#86196 10/08/2002 2:55 AM
Moderator / Fish
Moderator / Fish
I'm bored so I thought I'd just go on a little a rant. for those of you who don't understand the british schooling system, A Levels are the two year courses you take (normally about 4 subjects) after your compulsary education if you want to go to university.
*stupidly* I decided to do A Level Computing, thinking that it would be fun. oh how very very wrong I was.
Yesterday I was treated to a "fun" lesson about creating webpages! the guy showed us how to create links and everything :rolleyes:
so, now I'm off to another computing lesson, mmm pascal! of all the boring, irritating, pointless languages...*going to go insane*

well off I go to hell help smash

Sponsored Links
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
bah, pascal can be very good for a learning lanugage. You'll learn quite a few concepts that are easily transferably to other languages such as C

"Annnnnnnndd now, opening for Iron Maiden...... WYLD STALLYNS!!!" --Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted "Theodore " Logan
Moderator / Fish
Moderator / Fish
yeah, great, only I did pascal in year 8 (I'm in year 12 now) tipsy
it's most painful

CTM Offline
Moderator / Da Masta
Moderator / Da Masta
Poor Sally. frown

You could do what one of my friends did... Shout "I DON'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS, IT'S AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGENCE, FOR GOD'S SAKE!" at the teacher, walk out of the lesson and go to the pub... eek

Member / CodeFixer
Member / CodeFixer
I did that when they wanted me to take keyboarding in high school and I could type faster then the teacher

Sponsored Links
Heh... I did pascal in Year 7 wink
Now I'm doing work experience... I was asked "Do you know how to use Windows 98"

smash

In a few computing classes I've had moronic teachers. They sit there explaining for hours and then when they stuff up they start all over again. I finished my course for this year but it was hard to put up with that teacher.

Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
True story...

I went to a private high school. Freshman year they required everyone to take a computer proficiency test which would assign you to a computer class based on your knowledge.

I was assigned to their highest level class which was Microsoft Word. :rolleyes: By the second week of that class the teacher was fed up with my making her look stupid by correcting her inaccuracies and showing everyone shortcuts to do what she wanted, but in half the steps. She gave me credit for the class and I was made the teacher aide for "Introduction to Computers."

After a few weeks that teacher would say, " Steve's teaching this lesson today" and she would leave to hang out in the teachers lounge and smoke. By the second semester she stopped showing up entirely and it was essentially my class. By the end of the year all my students had complete knowledge of DOS, Win 3.1, Word, Excel and even had a pretty good introduction to Corel PhotoPaint.

Those who were in the Word class could only show off they knew how to use Word's spell check and headers & footnotes. laugh

Spotlight Runner-Up
Spotlight Runner-Up
I'm also studying AS Level Computer Studies..
At the moment we're learning Decimal, Binary, Octal and Hexadecimal conversions.. Exciting.. :rolleyes:

Good fun having a play with Visual Basic though.. laugh

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Badolato:
You'll learn quite a few concepts that are easily transferably to other languages such as C
Mark's got a good point. Perhaps a better example is when you get a hold of C. Then all the C-derived languages (C++, C#, Perl, PHP, JavaScript, etc.) aren't very hard to pick up.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63