Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Its gonna be viewed as kind of funny or even rude to some that I chose to come here asking for help.

But after 5 years of having UBB, making some friends in here , being the greatest promoter of UBB, I have to seek another BB. We are a gaming clan and get like 2 million hits per month on our site, hence we have physically accounted for 35 diff clans that bought UBB because they loved our boards and lord knows how many else have done so without specifically asking us about UBB.

But my reason to move is simple, the board crashes ever so ofetn.. it taking 100 percent of CPU usage now. We disassembled the CP panel thinking some script is causing it but to no avail. The conclusion with our webhoster and our admins was - there is some rogue script that can be expolited in UBB to crash our forums.

we are aware that advanced search always crashed the entire site in the CP panel.. I just dont know anymore ... I give up. So in short I once read about some BB which was done in flash and was wondering if anyone had the url to it and which other board would you guys advise to go to.. Please dont look at it as me being rude , just asking friends to help out..I been with UBB for close to 5 years now and have loved it- but what am I to do?. frown

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Btw the reason why i chose this particular forum is simply because I feel a kinship among the ole UBB showcase guys.. I mean Jamin , Stilg etc are and have been such a great source of help and ideas along with 100's of you who contirbute here and make the UBB community such a pleasent one to visit.

It's to bad to see you switch forums.. Yours has always been a very very nicve looking one, great for inspiration. To answer your question, i think the only real recommendation you will be getting on here is UBBThreads.. php and mysql backend and as far as i know (I don't know much more then what the eye can see over at threadsdev, but anyways) it's really customizable.. Maybe it would be worth it to take a look at it smile

Moderator / Template Diva
Moderator / Template Diva
Sad to see you leave UBB, really it is. But of course it's your site, your board, your cash. I would recommend staying with Infopop, moving to UBBThreads. Infopop has the corporate stability to back up the product, of course, and Threads is definitely one of, if not the best developed php/sql board out there since it's been around pretty much just as long as UBB has. (Like Savage, that's just basically going from what I've heard and read, since I personally have no experience with it.) Personally I'm not all that fond of the look of Threads, but you're so good with making stuff look pretty that it shouldn't be too awful much of a problem for ya. wink

As for the flash board, I do seem to remember seeing it somewhere but I honestly have absolutely no idea where that was, so I'm not much help for ya in that area. Not *too* sure, but maybe you might want to look into FlashMX, because I heard that's supposed to have something to do with HTML or something... (Note me being a total Flash ignoramus, so I'm prolly wrong on that).

Hope this helps a little bit at least.

---Jamin

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I will look into to it.. but this thing with some scripts being out there which folks can use to hack/crash ya board... *shiver*, this thing is sore thumb for almost all boards not just ubb.

But let me speak to someone in infopop... after all these years.. breaks my heart man...

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
I'm sorry to hear this Asmo. I wish you the best of luck. Take care and never be afraid to come back. smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
arggghh.. that does take forever to load.. would you happen to know the server specs?

ubbthreads is a viable option, v6 coming out is quite nice and there may be upgrade pricing available. www.ubbdev.com is beginning to come along nicely as well smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
- Snitz (it's a MySql board, pretty cool though. You can do some really amazing things with it, example: http://www.gameforum.nl. It's a Snitz board)
http://forum.snitz.com

- VBB
I never used this one before.
http://www.vbulletin.com

- And offcourse PHPBB
http://[censored]/

My personal favorite is Snitz, but it's an extremely difficult code... smile

vB and phpbb are both excellent choices for you then. They both use php, so the load times are extremely fast and dont demand as much resources as a ubb does. However, UBB is still the best

heh

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Or UBBThread, which costs $75 to "upgrade" your UBB license to UBBThreads.

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Or UBBThread, which costs $75 to "upgrade" your UBB license to UBBThreads.

I am doing that with one of my UBB licenses.

Content Queen
Content Queen
I have a question for those of you who are involved with the actual creation of code for the UBB.

Is it wrong to say that the perception of some is that .cgi driven messageboards are becoming a thing of the past? I hear more and more horror stories about how web-hosts won't allow UBB boards because of the load, et al.

I love UBB, and I don't ever want to go to another bulletin board program, but I also have to wonder if the UBB in the future will move more away from being .cgi driven or not. Or if recreating the code would be too much.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but when I see stories such as Asmo's, I really worry about the future of UBB.

Sue
adwoff.com
Old Hand
Old Hand
well... since this topic si still alive I guess I should move it to where it belongs.

Moving to Chit Chat. smile

Developer
Developer
Actually, it's more of a problem using flatfiles. The most common method Perl scripts use to achieve cross platform viability is by using flat datafiles without any *real* idea of how to optimize for speed (such as disk-based hash tables would be faster than data files used by UBB at the moment). When you use a database back end such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server, etc., a lot of loading data problems that occur with flat files disappear as the SQL server is now responsible for that.

Case in point - http://www.qasic.net is all Perl based BUT it uses no flatfiles. Everything is driven from a MySQL backend and my host has yet to complain about server load.

Hope this helps.

qasic

Sad to see you leave. I hope you find a new board and not have the server problems anymore. wink

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I have to agree, I have been shopping for a host for another site I'm working on and the providers that accept UBB all have strict warnings about their usage. I'm not talking about 2 or 3 I have contacted a couple hundred with e-mail inquiries and the answers are pretty much the same across the board, either they do not allow them or they barely tolerate them.

I'm very thankful that my netwerkin host has worked with me on keeping my site there and running a UBB.

quote:
Originally posted by XPerT:
I have to agree, I have been shopping for a host for another site I'm working on and the providers that accept UBB all have strict warnings about their usage. I'm not talking about 2 or 3 I have contacted a couple hundred with e-mail inquiries and the answers are pretty much the same across the board, either they do not allow them or they barely tolerate them.

I'm very thankful that my netwerkin host has worked with me on keeping my site there and running a UBB.

Just to know where to go to if my host does something to my account (I don't see that happening, but....just being safe. wink ) what host are you using?

~Jon

quote:

I have noticed servers are getting strict with UBB and it's just not fair. It's the same as forcing the people to change their BB system. The best thing to do is run it off your own comp or server, or find a Dedicated server. (Most allow)

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by JonNJapan:
quote:

Just to know where to go to if my host does something to my account (I don't see that happening, but....just being safe. wink ) what host are you using?

~Jon

www.digitalprinceton.net

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I believe other solutions may be in the works... give it a couple weeks or so for more answers smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
who is designing the MYSQL back end? And when it is released is it expected to be in a very buggy form?

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
I believe other solutions may be in the works... give it a couple weeks or so for more answers smile

I love optomistic people, and I love hacking UBB so I'll be anxiously awaiting any news.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63