Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Developer
Developer
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/01/12/rec.firefighter.statue/index.html

I think that this is just going too far. By doing this you are in a sense changing what happened in history. This is something I hate about america. People are always trying to be politically correct. Why can't we just accept things (for a lack of another word) and move on. So I guess I can goto college, become a historian, and then rewrite history in my favor.

By living in the United States and being a citizen, it doesn't matter what race, background, religion, or whatever you are. We are all Americans!

If I want to be politically correct I could say, what about the asians, native americans, etc, that aren't represented. It shouldn't matter what you are, it just happened that three white firefighters hoisted up a flag on that date/time.

: end of venting :

Sponsored Links
Deb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm with you DPK. The three firefighters that raised the US flag should be represented in that statue rather than someone's idea of who could have done it. There will be other Sept. 11th monuments and memorials created that could and will represent the diversity of the USA and the WTC victims.

- Deb
I agree with the both of you. It shows a great deal of diversity, that's great and all, but it's decieving.

I agree with all of you. They should have just left the statue the way it's supposed to be and not edit the history.

Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
There is a term for this; Revisionist History.

Those who are left in power always have the ability to record history the way they want it. Unfortunately every country has a history of doing this. The US is not the inventor of it nor is it alone in doing this.

That said, I do agree they have no business altering the facts to suit political correctness.

Sponsored Links
Soon as I read that, the first words in my mind were "What the (Heck)". This is outrageous. Three white firefighters raised that flag. Three white firefighters should be on that statue. I don't have much time right now, I still have a lot more to go on about.

-DT
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Was Iwo Jima an accurate representation of those soldiers, or was an arbitrary design used as well?

I believe it should be what it is, and not what someone might otherwise want it to be.

Veteran
Veteran
This just sucks. Those 3 guys had names and faces. This is an insult to them and all who died September 11.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
quote:
Originally posted by navaho:
This is an insult to them and all who died September 11.

I wouldn't really say that it's an insult to people who died that day, because it isn't. But the opposite of the truth is obviously a lie, and so that's what this is -- lying.

Damn straight it's an insult to them. I can't believe that someone would be so insensitive to want to be 'politically correct' and not care about the people involved, or the act itself, as it would seem happened here.

I mean, think about it. How would you like to perform a heroic act, or one that others consider heroic at least, and have a statue made of it, and then you aren't even on the statue, but you were replaced with someone of another race? I would not like that one bit. That would be the biggest insult ever, to me, that something I did didn't even count.

'Political Correctness' in and of itself is the stupidest thing ever, IMHO. It makes people not able to say what they think, say what really happened in an event (like what happened here) for fear of offending someone.

Aw, heck, thae whole concept is just plain stupid. Same for all this crap about 'discrimination' when it relates to 'political correctness' If a white person and a black person with the same qualifications are applying for the same position somewhere, the 'politically correct' thing to do is to pick the black person. If the employer hired the white person, it would be 'discrimination' and the black person would sue them (Well, at least, there is a very good chance that this would happen). Now, isn't this a bit unfair? This is called is 'reverse discrimination.' People are so afraid to discriminate against some race or ethnic group, that they end up discriminating against white people.

This is what happened in this case. The Fire Department is so afraid that other people would accuse them of honoring white people and that being racist, that they don't even care what happened, they just put other races/ethnic groups in there. This is so disgusting, I cannot stand it at all.

[ 01-15-2002 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Dark Templar ]

-DT
Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
Matt as near as I can tell changing the circumstances surrounding that day or the aftermath of it to meet your political agenda is highly insulting to those that died on September 11. In effect when you do that you are exploiting their deaths to your own benefit. In my mind that makes you scum if you do that, and right in league with most of the people that spewed political rhetoric to advance their personal agendas in the following days.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
If anything, it's an insult to the actual people in the photo, putting different names and colors in place of theirs.

In my opinion, it's the most insulting to the two white people changed to other races, but it is to an extent insulting to the people who died because it's turned from 'a memorial to the people who helped out' to 'politically correct PR'.

-DT
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
At any rate, I believe we can all agree that it's lying and not right, no matter how "correct" it may be. We change the face of history so that some people don't get left out and feel bad?? What's next, the Puritans landing in America get replaced by three Asians, two blacks, six Muslims and four Mexicans?

[ 01-16-2002 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Matt Jacob ]

History class would be a lot different if this keeps up. laugh ) discovered America and named the natives of America "Native Americans" because that is what they were.

[ 01-16-2002 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Dark Templar ]

-DT
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
History is replete with examples where the books have been rewritten. There are many cases where inventions and scientific advances have been attributed to one person, even though some one else may have been deserving of the credit.

There are also examples where history has been fictionalized, then becoming more of a legend or story.

Artistic Expression allows the artist to visualize the way that they see or interpret something. However, this is a deliberate effort to distort that image before the artist sees it.

It will be interesting to follow this story and see where it goes. It will also be interesting to hear public opinion.

Regardless, this will wind up in court, with the representatives of the actual firefighters seeking an injunction to prevent the city from installing the statue. In all likelyhood, the case will be settled, and the 3 actual firemen will be aptly compensated, and be more accepting of a statue that shows the unity and brotherhood of the firefighters, and remembering those who perished, regardless of race or creed.

How many of us will ever venture to Brooklyn to see it anyway.

Whether it is right or wrong, won't matter.

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
quote:
Originally posted by tackaberry:
Whether it is right or wrong, won't matter.

I don't understand how you can possibly say that with a straight face. What we're talking about here is the difference between left and right, up and down. There is the truth, but if something isn't true, then it must be false by process of elimination, and so this is false. This is a lie.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
No that's probably too Black/White (not to mean complexion). This is something that falls into a Grey area. It's part-true, part-false. It is not a complete lie and its not the complete truth. It's probably something that you cannot accept, since it is obscurred by your deep christian beliefs.

There are some who don't think that everything that isn't true has to be a lie. But that's all philosophy and semantics, and people can make arguments for either side, or both for that matter.

Just because something isn't entirely true, doesn't make it entirely a lie. Some are willing to accept a middle-ground and say it is somewhat true, mostly true, or partially true.

I don't think anyone here is disputing that it is not entirely true. What is being discussed is whether or not it is fair. Fairness is not dependant on whether something is true or false, but what impact that has in the context of the situation and the impact on our lives.

And that too is said with a straight face

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63