Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Deb
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
This month's member spotlight was filled with an excellent variety of UBB forums that made the choice very difficult considering we had 39 boards to choose from. In light of the stiff competition, the field of competitors was narrowed down to 10 forums that received 2 or more votes from our judges. There were 2 boards in particular that had a magic and flair for design which enabled them to steal the show.

Congratulations to Van with his first place winning UBB forum WhoIsVan . The first-rate style, design and color of this board caught the attention of many of the judges while his humor added to the enjoyment of their visit. Take a minute to check out our interview with Van to find out who he is...

Van will automatically be entered in our drawing to give away a year's UBB license in our twice yearly "SuperBowl" of UBB's member spotlight.

The second place member spotlight goes to midnightcafe which exemplifies finesse and an exceptional use of color and design. Truly a "site for sore eyes" [Linked Image]. Catch this interview to learn more...

------------------
Deb

- Deb
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Excellent work guys... very difficult decision this time around, lots of good sites to choose from.

------------------
Allen

- http://www.stand318.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
This contest just keeps bringing in better and better contestants. Great job guys, you deserve it! Hopefully we will have an graphic award for you shortly. We're working on the new designs as we speak.

- DB

Good job guys, keep up the good work.

------------------

Hell Fighter !
nstalled mods on my boardFONT c>FONT f>FONT s>
(82 Mods total)

congrats!

------------------
-= DFT =-
I don mean dis in a disrespectful way//
But colombine happens in the ghetto happens every day//
Uncle L

Sponsored Links
something just itches me about midnitecafe, it's not exactly the most feature-full forum.

i mean that they don't suck, but there were better forums in there, like 411hype (definatly one of my favorites, maybe better then whoisvan) and my forums. i'm not gonna hype my forums, they must have been missing something, but i really think that 411hype deserved this honor a lot more.

-Just my oppinion, congrats winners anyway.

------------------

You haven't read the interview then. Go to midnightcafe's site and click in the right column under "hardware". Then click on a topic. That's all ubb, and the best morph of the function/design of ubb I have ever seen.

Congrats to both winners, it was a tough field. I am sure there were quite a few other deserving sites, but everyone's taste differs.

------------------
Duke

Duke

"Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
Congrats! You both deserve it!

------------------

Modification Developer of the Ultimate Bulletin Board
Due to time limitation, I do not offer support Via. E-mail, ICQ , AIM, Private message or any media.
Regards,
MasterMind

i saw that, it's nice but not anything that the average good hacker couldn't do.

i still say 411hype, as a matter of fact, i think hype could have contended van well.

------------------

of course i'll still say congrats, it looks good and doesn't look overhacked like some. [Linked Image]

i guess good luck to 411 next time

------------------

Sponsored Links
Top notch boards gentlemen. Excellent work!

P.S. Down with bloated sig images!!!

------------------

a.k.a. Neal Ulen | Webmaster - GamerForums.Net | Senior Editor - Moviefan Online

This message has been edited by Thradar on January 26, 2001 at 03:32 PM

the sig is only temp. it's what 6 of us use on our forums, i have a better one but it'll be a while till i get it right

------------------

Muc Offline
Congrats ! You guys rock... [Linked Image]

BTW, I don't think this is the best time or place to cast doubt upon our decision. There will be many spotlights coming up in the next months, everybody gets a second or third or whatever chance.
don't get me wrong, as cal would say: just a thought [Linked Image]

muc

This message has been edited by Muc on January 27, 2001 at 03:55 AM

Addict
Addict
Congratulations you two, you deserve the Members Spotlight. Both of your UBBs showed how universal you can turn it into.

------------------

i agree with dawg, both site's were very very nice, and i dont know the exact's the judge's were looking for but there we're better one's entered.. but hey, that's just my oppinion, i dont mean to offend anyone. But Dawg is right in my view.

WOW!!!!!!!!!
im REALLY SURPRISED!
ive entered right from the beginning and this time i really thought i would win....i spent a whole 2 months perfecting things and still not one nice job or anything EXCEPT DAWG911...this is really great that im gettin some recognition...thanx alot dawg.

and congrats to you both!

------------------
-= DFT =-
Uncle L

o and one more thing.......

http://www.oneminuteleft.com

------------------
-= DFT =-
Uncle L

VAN Offline
Woohoo! Never woulda thought I'd be a spotlight winner, but I gotta say I love the feeling. I am just thankful that the Admin and mods do the judging and not the board members. Sheesh.

I apologize if so many people don't think that MidnightCafe and myself deserved to win. Oh, and Dawg? You aren't from Florida by chance are you? I get the feeling you would like to demand a recount. [Linked Image]

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Anyways, thanks to the folks that voted for my boards, and thanks to the folks that dropped me some cool emails. I guess the old saying that you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time is quite true in this case. Oh well.
Thanks again gang!

-VAN

------------------

quote:
lolol
yo i didnt say u dont deserve to win!
im congratulating you......im just talkin sour grapes.......lol

------------------
-= DFT =-
Uncle L

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Most of the moderators and admins voted, with Van's site the runaway first place winner by a wide margin. Second place was closer, but midnight cafe was still convincingly in second. We had ~12 sites that could have won in most any month, these are just getting more difficult to judge, due to the depth of the quality presented - and this is good...[Linked Image]

To let you guys in on a little secret, we'll have one more members spotlight with the v5.x series ubb, then award the year's license. After that, beginning with the April edition, it'll be v6 and up... that'll give you a couple of months with v6, fine-tuning it.

Read the interviews , beginning with Alien's, and going through C_P's, John's, Neal's, MyDivX, Wodie, Rob's, ETM's, Van's, and Ryan's... you will learn what it takes to have a top-notch web community, and hopefully the judges will see what you have done and award you that first or second place. If not, you still have improved your site by leaps and bounds... it's not all "hacks" and flashing images, it's about building a better community.

No where else on the web will you get this much information packed into one place that teaches you this much about building a better site. Use this as a learning experience and bring back a better site from it.

------------------
Allen

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I Whole Heartidly Agree now.

lol.

Well Congrad's to Van

But Haze is coming after next month's!!!!!

ive redesigned countless time's to impress peep's , now ima get people to actually come and ya'll all better be on the look out.. lol

and jigga i've already told u your site is very nice.. But ea's the real hiphop site [Linked Image] lol.. well it will be.

------------------
EmceeArena.com FaceLifted

^ Gotta be the hottest designed Hip-Hop forum out!! smile peep it EmceeArena.com FaceLifted

Both are excellent examples of TOP NOTCH Boards! Great work!

------------------
MyDivX ;-) Forums
http://www.mydivx.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

yea, they were very nice, but it'll be 411 and OML next month, u just wait. [Linked Image]

Jigga, contact me on icq, we'll talk.

------------------

hehe, fixed my sig

------------------

Can some one send me the FULL version of the UBB script? I have some but they are not the FULL thing. I have ALL the hacks for it and everything. But they will not work unless I have the full version. If you have it and wouldn't mind helping out a brotha Please AIM me(aol instant message me)at xenoMYSTIC. Or e-mail me at [email protected] or ICQ me at 104745710. Thanks you guys

--------------------------------------------

haha
its illegal buddy!

------------------
-= DFT =-
Uncle L

HAHA who gives a damn? Not me. They catch me o WELLZ. **** them. What they going to do? They have no clue where I live. and if they did catch me I would delete the UBB

----------------------

---------------------- http://j2k.dbsstory.net

------------------

This message has been edited by Demuirge on January 28, 2001 at 09:22 AM

unfortunatly Demuirge, yer probly gonna get in big **** for that. piracy iss a mega no-no round here.

------------------

I think he'll be hearing from Brett before long. [Linked Image]

------------------
Duke

Duke

"Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
Kahuna
Kahuna
demmie... there are, perhaps, only a few less-smooth ways of gettin yourself into trouble. still, tho, congrats on your success.

anywho... a suggestion to the higher-ups 'round here. perhaps, in future spotlight contests, instead of just listing the winner, and 2nd place... could there be a ranking? so people can see where they fall into place? i know this time (and others) you say its a close race, where many come close... but, it'd perhaps be helpful if designers knew HOW close. you know, t'scope out the competition [Linked Image]

rankings similar to hall of fame elections? i.e; USER A came in first with 8 first place votes, and 3 second ...USER V came in 8th, with 0 first place votes, 2 second.

or, a percentage break down? 100% being supreme board (not necessarily the score #1 for the month receives). i.e; USER A came in first with 92%, ...USER V came in 8th with 14%

something like that?

------------------

my site
my boards
second place winner in ubbdev's november spotlight

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It could happen, I guess a top 10 places would work out ok, with votes rec'd for each site. Wouldn't wanna do that for all 39 [Linked Image], but top10 should be ok...[Linked Image]

What the heck, I don need no steenkeeng sleep.

Here's the top 10 results from this month's scores. Voters judged each site based on 5 criteria:
1. site integration
2. design
3. appropriate use of modifications
4. color scheme
5. user experience

All 5 rec'd equal treatment, and you got closer looks if you did something a little unusual that the other sites didn't.

They then listed their top 3 choices and I go through and give 3 points for 1st, 2 points for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd. Total score is used to determine the winners.

1. - WhoIsVan - 30 points
2. - MidnightCafe - 11 points
3. - textcentral - 10 points
4. - EnterTheMuse - 8 points
5. - OneMinuteLeft - 7 points
6. - webdrenalin - 4 points
7.- 9. - in alphabetical order (2 points)
- AbleMuse
- frustchat
- techieville
10. - in alphabetical order (1 point)
- AnimeBB
- Magictraders

As you can see, except for Van's site, the rest were pretty close... most any of them could have won had a couple votes went their way. Other sites not listed could have easily won had there not been so many to judge... 411hype, emceearena, and planetplastica among them... it took me ~7 hours of work to compile the list and actually judge each site (I had all 39 sites open at once), it took the other voters a good bit of time as well.

We'll get better at this, and when we start judging v6 sites in April, that'll determine the playas from the pretendas...[Linked Image] We may develop other ways of handling the large numbers of entrants in the future to help everyone get a close look and help the voters with the amount of time it takes to go through each site.

------------------
Allen

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
thank you allen, thatnk you, oh god thank you.

------------------

Leave him a tip on the nightstand on the way out. [Linked Image]

------------------

Visit Alien Soup Forums
http://www.aliensoup.com/cgi-bin/forums/Ultimate.cgi

This message has been edited by Alien on January 30, 2001 at 02:56 AM

Administrator / WTF.com / IWantMy80s.com
http://www.wtf.com
http://www.iwantmy80s.com
ok Demuirge, i'm gonna get in serious trouble for this, but a freind of mine made the ubb cd image avaliable for download below:

http://stopwarez.virtualave.net/warez.dl?file=newfiles/Cgi-resallaccess&ubb6cdimg-1.3 .html

**keep in mind i have no control over whether or not you use it, and for what purpose**

sorry guys, u know how it is trying too find the cd-image.

p.s. thanx spawn. [Linked Image]

------------------

lol!

------------------
-= DFT =-
Uncle L

you'll be hearing from Brett@infopop very soon buddy. Enjoy the official UBB CD. [Linked Image]

------------------
[Linked Image]
Modification Developer of the Ultimate Bulletin Board
Due to time limitation, I do not offer support Via. E-mail, ICQ , AIM, Private message or any media.
Regards,
MasterMind

don't forget to hold onto his ip info. [Linked Image]

hehe, i just had too take spawns cd-image and take it too the next level. notice the address? [Linked Image]

------------------

Can any one PLEASE help me set up my UBB hacks? I bought the UBB and I am happy with my purchase and I need some help setting up the hacks. If you can help me PLEASE do. It would mean a LOT to me. To contact me on AIM my name is xenoMYSTIC on ICQ my # is 104745710. PLEASE help if you can, thanks!

------------------

i wouldn't help this guy until we get confirmed by infopop he is genuine. he did say he wanted pirated ubb however

------------------

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You are posting in about the most wrong forum you can find. Please go to "questions" or "requests", or at least "chit chat"... and ask specific questions... which modification, what do you need help with, etc.

------------------
Allen

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63