Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#68626 03/24/2001 4:45 PM
quote:
Don't take away my v5 forums! Ahhhh! shocked

* Insert cliche' quote/sentence/image here *
Sponsored Links
I personally can't WAIT untill we drop v5. Waste of time.

I'm sure some support sites will spring up somewhere for the v5 series. Due to price changes and the wait on features to the new v6 codebase, I'm sure quite a few sites will be sticking with v5 for a bit longer. Even if not, most people who run UBB are the friendly sort and will still give you a hand if run into trouble. smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes, we'll give you a hand if possible, but we will be concentrating on v6 development in the very near future. We are just stretched too thin as a website to support development on both platforms in the way we know we should be - this is where you had become accustomed to the kinda service we used to give around here. We haven't been able to deliver that kind of service recently, and concentrating on the future is where we need to move.

If you read the current ubb license agreement, you'll find that it'll be fairly difficult to be able to start and run another ubb modification site. I am not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not likely. Move on up to v6 with us, you'll be glad you did.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Maybe you guys can just leave a single forum called "V5 Support" open for a few months?

Just a suggestion. You gotta realize that there are a lot of folks out there that are content with their UBB v5, or can't upgrade because of prices, other reasons, etc. I don't think you should totally phase out support for them.

Or then again, they can always go to http://ubbforums.infopop.com . I think the v5 support is going to stay up and running over there.

This is the designed behavior.
Sponsored Links
Allen, check your PM's

~The Man is Back!~
If you make a modification of your board then posted on the web, theres nothing they can do, right? its your mod, NOT theirs, so what are they gonna do? Sue you? I can just see it now.

Judge: All rise for the Infopop VS Customer case. Infopop is sueing Customer for making a modification to an open-source code and providing it free on the web to help make the board better.

Countiued later when i have more free time...

Developer
Developer
While they won't sue (it will do nothing for their image especially with vB coming out strong), they legally have the final word on all our hacks because we're licensing UBB from them.

Our mods are technically theirs. Read the legalese carefully - any code us code hackers made must be 'approved' by them, technically which means that, in principle, Infopop owns the hacks.

However, I'm pretty positive that a UBB 5 Code Hacking site will develop on its own despite the new license requirements? Why? Because many UBB 5 series users have NOT bought a new license and therefore are not subject to the new license agreement (they agreed to a previous license agreement).

q

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Most (and I say this without hesitation) owners of v5 UBB's in the next few months will be pirated warez scripts. We are seeing this already, which is one reason MM is ready to discontinue support for v5.

Regardless of what we think, every line of code in any version of ubb is copyrighted, they can do exactly as they please with it. None of it is "open source".

These 2 statements are what tells me IP will not allow a modification site for v5. V6 maybe, but not v5.

Can anybody can produce a license that says they can distribute modifications for the UBB without permission from IP?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
quote:
I aggree laugh

Sponsored Links
Developer
Developer
Well I can tell you one thing ... 5/6 UBB's on our site will be using v5. Why? Because we've already hacked v5 and its a proven series.

Out of our 6 UBBs, only one UBB may be moving to UBB 6 because I am its admin ... that's the only reason why.

And yes, our boards are legit - we are, after all, a division of Hasbro - http://boards.wizards.com/

q

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
According to the license, anyone can modify their own copy and/ or pay someone to modify it for them, they just aren't allowed to distribute those modifications without IP's consent, all versions.

We have no way of determining licensed vs. legit, so as a site, we are choosing to not support the v5 series when v6 is stable.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63