Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
With the anniversary of September 11th just next week; are you planning any special tribute on your forum/site?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I plan to do something kinda small... it will be mostly reflection on the year's events and how it has changed people's lives. We'll look at our initial reaction from a year ago and see how things are like/not alike what we thought was going to happen.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Unfortunently nothing for me since we're not so American based, but we will look back.

Don't want to look like a monstor or anything..

Kahuna
Kahuna
nothing planned for my boards, really, but certainly enough felt.

for starters, my whole 9-11 forum will be a year old -- ill do my best to bump up some of the more poigniant threads from a year prior. memorialize in that way.

i did that a few weeks back -- bumped up old threads from 9-11 or around 9-11. felt good, tho sad, to re-read some of those thoughts. like they were still so very fresh.

personally, tho, ill be busy most of the day with my own off-boards events and ceremonies.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Agreed Rob, I bumped up a few threads on my personal site to go back and remember what the day/week was like. Everything was such a blur back then, the pieces fit differently now...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
My view on Sept 11 has changed alot on the last week. I look at it like it's an un-escapable event. It's everywhere you go. I really hope this day turns out what I think it will be.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is my point.

frown

Well for one, I will be going to a DAV meeting tonight as I am rated 100 percent Disabled Vet from the VA..It gives me time to reflect on how civilans are caught in the middle of certain Religious, Wars, Terrorism, Politics and Crime. It amazes, myself to reflect back to the 60s,70s,80s,90s, and now this new century.
The evolution of all forms of mankind to fighting disease, healthier people, People live longer, improving everything from computers, the net and the way the whole planet can communicate. The infinite amount of understanding and breakthroughs in every aspects of mankind are ongoing.
I can say with envy as I go by the colleges here and say Wow these kids didn't look like that when I was in school, they are healthier, better looking, smarter and will live longer. It was just a 100 years ago, the average life of a man was hovering around 40. To go back in history people even lived shorter lives and understood less.
Alas we do not understand the why's people are Murdered, Killed or Die of Disease. Why does life go on to endure this. The only thing I can think of, is that God looks at a new born baby and says life must go on.....
What really bothers me is that the victims all recieved vast amounts of compensation and for the most part all are millionaires. Do you relalize what a soldiers death brings to the families $250,000 and they have to pay the insurance. I don't or have never seen civilians massing, the media blitzs and the whole country sending in contributions to a tune of over a billion dollars, not to mention goverment aid for 3,024 families. The OKC bombing survivors were lucky to get a dime...I question these charity organizations, that collect money, under the auspices of charity to help the people that really need it..However the assumption of these charity Orgs distributing the money is a farce when the heads of these orgs live a lavish life style and are paid "Millions" in salaries. Look at the head of the Girl Scouts, sending little kids all over the country to collect money to help the poor, the kids get nothing but the heads recieve millions.
On this 9/11 I will mourn for the people of WTC, but it makes me ponder and reflect on so much more..........
"I onced complained I had no shoes...till I met a man with no feet"

Mike Silbaugh

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dexter:
I really hope this day turns out what I think it will be.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is my point.

frown
What do you think it will be?

A day when remeberence can go overboard.

I hope Sept 11 will be a sensible day of rememberence. And not go overboard like I see it now..

LD: I quess you don't see the big picture! The WTC isn't meant to be Myopic subject~!~

Sponsored Links
I see his point though. I heard on the radio this morning, someone is having a $9.11 sale. That is exploitation.

How one deals with, and observes the emotional trauma of 9-11 should really be a personal thing. Offering commemorative coins and slathering a site with waving flag gifs is overdone in the extreme I feel.

quote:
I made this post on my board, and am quite comfortable with it:

I have gone back and forth about whether something should be mentioned here about 9-11. Everywhere I have been today, there are ribbons, people dressed as flags, $9.11 sales, blinking lights, memorials, testimonials, ceremonies, and a thousand things I dare not think of.

No animated flag gifs, a not picture of the towers or the victims or their families, or teddy bears, or any of the claptrap that people think is appropriate.

A simple request is what I thought fit. Something you should do regardless of the day or date really.

Do something. Act. Don’t ‘think’ about it, don’t talk about it or complain about it or stew about it or ignore it.

Independent of what ‘it’ may be to you.

I added the Amber Alert at the bottom of the board here. Right now it is for West Michigan, but I am working on getting a broader alert area with amberalert.org

What will you do?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
On my personal forums (which is for work), I simple added a small ribbon image at the bottom of my header.

Here on UBBDev, I started this thread, as well as this one in which I hope people would share their thoughts/feelings.

Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
I copied your idea and added a look back topic to my community too. smile

Otherwise the only other thing I'm doing today is when someone goes to anyone of my domains they will see this .

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
I have to agree with Chrimera... not to go as extreme as LD ("unescapable event"), but I can see his point.

What my forum did last year is to add a Transition of 5 secs you must read (or click on "Sit tight...") before going to the forum summary, and in the forum summary intro, I added an image.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I believe people who are/were far-removed from the events will see it much differently from those who lived through them. Those that weren't/aren't affected by them should have a little empathy for those that were/are - if it helps them to vent a bit/wear ribbons/ etc., so be it. We're not talking about something silly like the superbowl, latest star wars movie, or world cup.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
we are not doing very much - I bumped the thread that was started around 9 that morning . Still can't believe it has been a year (or that it happened at all).

jeremiah
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I put up a red, white and blue ribbon in the header at netwerkin that is common throughout the site. It's been really really quiet today as it should be.

I am thankful that the threats of violence and attacks didn't pan out today and that the people that chose to honor the victims and the heros were/are allowed to do so.

Edit: I had a whole forum called the Memorial for approx. 4 months after the attack that was started from the thread I made that morning about the fire in one of the towers. I let people vent and speak their minds in there and unfortunately that made it wrong in my eyes to revisit it. We need to put away anger and celebrate life and the future. The forum is still there but it's not visible to anyone.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63