Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
One thing that I have noticed in even my new UBB 6.7.3 as well as the .2 builds is that when I ban a member, they are not able to login or post or even register if their IP is banned. But, guess what? Banned members still have access to view this kind of board and still have the ability to read the post and member topics. I dont like that.

A good modification script would be one that if IP, member name, or even email address is banned from board, the message that comes up when going to the board URL would be that "You are not allowed to view this board because you've been banned by the board administrators." followed by the "Use you browsers back button to return"

I have an access of over 11,000 banned IP addresses on mine. But, those former members or ones who registerd and were declined by mod quee of registartion mode can still access the board. I don't like that.

Now, I know from what the Groupee Staff have said about the new PHP product that is yet still coming everyone, that it does by its defult usergroup settings block access to the entire board for banned members, IPs, emails, and so on. This is something that I still think needs to be a mod for UBB 6x series. Its long over due.

Thanks for reading and now your thoughts.

All My Best,
Devin
Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
A better solution would be to use .htaccess to ban them from the cgi-bin and the noncgi directories.

Code
order allow,deny
deny from 127.0.0.1
allow from all
Replace 127.0.0.1 with the offending IP address. You can do multiple lines of the deny from 127.0.0.1

Why make UBB do the work when you can save the load and let Apache knock them down wink

Because its a lot easier to just ban them then they are banned from the board. I dont see the point in having to edit the .htacess as well.

All My Best,
Devin
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
By including the ban on every page you will drastically increase the load on your server. Everytime you open a page, you would have to open the ban file and read that to see if they can view the page.

.htaccess does what you are asking without causing the UBB to work harder.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I concourr with Sub, .htaccess will ban the users globally over the site vs just registering/posting; by banning them on your forum you're just saying "I don't want this person to be able to register", by banning their account you're saying "I don't want this user posting on my forum"...

.htaccess is a far superior way of banning any user from accessing your site.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63