Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#55613 03/15/2003 9:48 AM
My ISP now requires all emails going through their server to authenticate against the server (i.e., send the username/password when sending email). I can't find any fixes here for this, NONE of my MBs emails are going out. I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, or at least I haven't found anything about it on this site. Has anyone written a Mod/Hack for UBB that sends authentication to an email server? I wrote one for a piece of auction software, but the email structure of UBB is MUCH different and if I don't have to re-invent the wheel I'd like to avoid doing so...

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Do they require POP-before-SMTP, or SMTP auth? The components to do SMTP auth are in the mail libs as of 6.4, so if that's what you need, I can show you how to turn them on. smile

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
Do they require POP-before-SMTP, or SMTP auth? The components to do SMTP auth are in the mail libs as of 6.4, so if that's what you need, I can show you how to turn them on. smile
That's odd as most providers only require this from out side there own dominion.

That is that u are running on a server that is not from them. But even then it should be very easy, as i did as well, the get in contact with them to let access go thru from your ip address.

Otherwise it would make hell for everyone to get some web based email worm think working.

eek

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Do they, by chance, have sendmail installed? or is it just a NT hosting with SMTP?

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
I'm hosting the board on an NT server in my house, and the email is going out through my ISP. I'm actually still using 6.2 but I figured I'd throw it in this section because I never saw anyone mention a fix and thought it would be a good suggestion. Is there a way to turn on SMTP Auth in 6.2 or do I have to upgrade?

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Yeah, you'll need to upgrade in order to get the new mailing routines. You *MIGHT* be able to get away with just the new Modules directory and the new ubb_lib_mail, but that's a little on the risky side.

Would it be against the rules to ask for just the new email routines?

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Yeah, we can't do that. You'd have to have current Member Area access, and even then you could easily do it yourself. lib_mail and the modules are just drop-in replacements for what's there already.

Ok.. this is wierd. I just got a message from InfoPOP support that smtp authentication is NOT supported. What's the deal? This thread is from 2003. I am in the same situation. My host now requires SMTP AUthentication for the email to work.

Please Help!!!

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
As far as i know, Infopop (now Groupee) has always supported SMTP authentication however it required a patch from them to function...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
The deal is that we no longer officially provide that patch via a support ticket.

Find this comment in UBBCGI/Modules/MIME/Lite.pm:

# Yes, we can do this now, if required!

Aaaand guess what you need to do to the next line? wink

You will need an installation of the Authen::SASL Perl module installed, and that is the hard part.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849