Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
This is a common feature on many Invision script boards where the forum will have the member's avatar or rank image displayed in somewhat of a welcome block at the top of the main forum index. I have only seen it on one UBB board here , so I'm pretty sure it's feasible under UBB.

At my forum, currently 6.1 and going to add 6.4 soon, I use a post ranking system. You can see an example of it here . I used Jimbo's Custom Status Hack to handle all of the ranks; however, I will be using the options in the User Titles section of the 6.4 CP to do my next ranking system. I've found that adding an tag onto the user title works just fine.

My request is, could someone tell me or point me in the right direction of how to get the user's rank/title (not avatar) to display in forum_summary in 6.4? I understand the html part, it's just that I'm not sure how to call the variable. I'm gearing up to have a post ranking system with over a hundred different ranks (sets of armor outfits... I run a board on the game, Age of Mythology smile ) and I'd really like to show it off in forum_summary as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I'd be very grateful if someone knew how to do this.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think if you get the Profile Field (#) assignments you would be able to pull the user's info and display it in the login welcoming line. You could write to the web designer for City of Ancients and see if he/she is willing to help.

Since you're using Jimbo's Custom Status Hack any HTML tags will work (including "img"). Rather than just using the $custom_status you could use $user_status simultaneously with each user...No limit. To give you a better example:

Click Here

Above the avatar notice the custom user's title...Now for the members who ask, look at the bottom of each user's post (right above the $AuthorExtra)...There will have the rank of the members and the divisions they play in and/or departments associated with. It's perfect for clan sites. smile

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Bookie had that running on a 6.3 board. It was exactly what you're looking for but I tried it on a 6.4 board and it didn't work. I'm sure that it wouldn't take much to fix it though.

Thanks for the reply, PrimeTime. smile

I emailed the webmaster and hopefully he'll respond back soon.

Very nice site and forums, btw. I like all of the custom tags that you give your members.

Are you talking about using "$user_profile[x]", where 'x' is the line in the user's profile? I used to use this in 6.1, but it doesn't seem to be working for me in 6.4. I did "$user_profile[1]", which should display the member's name, as a test and it didn't display anything in forum summary. Has the method for calling lines in the profile changed since 6.1 or do I need to declare a variable in forum_summary?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I used to be somewhat proficient with the code in 6.1, but there's been quite a few changes since the last time I upgraded my script. smile

Thanks. smile

You got the right profile codes actually which should work in 6.4 since they never changed. As X pointed out I don't think it should be too difficult but when I have the time I can see if I can get it to work with 6.4.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Prime, I appreciate it!

Bumping this a bit since I've yet to get this working after a few months. I PM'ed LK on how to do this and he pointed me to the BLAM template thread (look near the bottom) where he and Bookie explained how to do this on a 6.3.x board. I tried doing what was instructed, but as TheX said, it doesn't seem to be working on 6.4+.

Thanks for any help. This would be a great feature for sites that use special avatars or post ranking systems.

Ohh geez...I forgot about this. I'll look into that thread (once I figure out this IM thing) and go from there. smile

No rush, Prime... you've already helped me out a ton. smile

Hey Xiphoid_pAOM! I think I can get the avatar up on the Forum Summary but it differs from Bookie and LK's version. What is the variable used for your avatar? I'm using "$user_profile[16]".

Sponsored Links
My image ranking system is done by placing an image tag after the user's title in the User Title section of the control panel. Looking in ubb_lib_posting, user_status is the following:

[code][/code]... so I'm pretty sure I will be using $user_profile[7], since [8] tells you whether or not the member is a mod, admin, or member.

Even if other people don't use an image/avatar system like I am, it'll still be helpful as $user_profile[7] will display the member's text status on the main forum page.

Thanks for the effort, Prime!

Currently I have not been able to get the custom status (especially when using Qasic/Jimbo's Stats/Ranks hack), let alone $user_status. I can however, pull the user's info using their profile fields on the Forum Summary. Allow me to explore this and I'll keep you updated as I make progress. smile

Just a bump to see if anyone has made any progress on this. Thanks. smile

I haven't forgotten about it. smile I'm still having the issue with Qasic/Jimbo's Stats/Ranks hack. There is a sub routine code that I'm missing in the mesh...I'm gussing the answer is right in front of me. Heh. smile

Thanks Prime, I appreciate it. smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
if you wanna share what you already have, I can help out smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Thanks Allen. smile

I've stripped everything down and started from scratch. Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, recently I've been trying to extract the codes and sub routines that enables the custom ranks. I'm using the Custom Title Rank's install instructions (in ubb_lib_posting.cgi); focusing on ubb_custom_status.cgi (all sub routines); vars_custom_status.cgi (for crankma, cranko & cstatus); and in ubb_lib_posting.cgi I'm primarily focusing on "sub create_topic" sub routine. smile

I apologize for not being any more specific but this is where I'm at currently. frown

Because the "$username", "$password" and "$user_number" codes are recognized I'm able to pull "$user_profile[8]" and "$user_profile[7]" in the Forum Summary...But as soon as I try to use "$user_status" and "$custom_status" (which both are from Custom Title/Rank hack) I get nothing. Even when I extracted all of the hack's sub routines in "ubb_custom_status.cgi" I don't get any results.

I'm going to experiment a bit tonight but seems like I'm running in circles. smile

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
any updates on this? And if you guys do get it working on 6.4, would it most likely work on 6.5 too?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
working on this here:

https://www.ubbdev.com/db/ultimatebb.php

am I missing anything?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
silence means no? tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
how hard would it be to call other parts of teh profile, ie Your Style is: Frost, etc

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
not difficult, but that would be something individualized per admin... everyone would want something different smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
of course, I just wanted to know what'd I call, ie $user_profile[60]?

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Allen, any update on this?

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Originally posted by Weird Al:

Allen, any update on this?
bump the bump

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Oooh, this sounds like fun for the 6.7 upgrade I'm doing.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
what needs to be updated? tipsy Shouldn't be much of anything needing updated for this to work on 6.6+

Headed muddin on 4-wheelers, will check back later tonight tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
updated? you never gave us the original code tipsy

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
ok, will post tonight... not sure what I used, but it might break the generic wrapper and need to be updated smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
lol... But allen, breaking code is what we do best!

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Originally posted by Gizzy:

lol... But allen, breaking code is what we do best!
amen. My motto: "If you've never broken your boards... you're not trying hard enough"

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
https://www.ubbdev.com/test/ubb/ultimatebb.php

getting a javascript error, not sure if it's due to this one or not... 1:30am, will post what I have tomorrow smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
and yes, I know it repeats that table that's in the generic wrapper tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
ooh, finish it, i want! lol

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Nice hack!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849