Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this in 6.4. This used to be handled in public_topic_page.pl and public_forum_page.pl by the following code in older versions:

[code][/code]That was from 6.1 and I'm sure quite a lot of code has changed since then. smile

I'd like to be able to have the VIP names displayed in a different color and bold or italicized on topic pages, the forum page for topic starter and last replier, and in the Recent Visitor's list if possible.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Bumping this after no answers for a few weeks.

Anyone know how to do this? smile

We added colortags in User Titles :

junior shooter
shooter
senior shooter
hard shooter
extreme shooter

Thanks for the reply, OcShoot.

That is an idea, but I'd like to be able to specify certain members, not groups of members dependent on their rank or admin/mod title.

I run a board on the game, Age of Mythology, and we frequently get developers from the company that made the game, Ensemble Studios. They don't post enough to get mod status, but it's ideal to have their names stand out in the topic pages and forum listings so people can find their posts easily.

I know how to go about doing this, it's just that I don't have enough knowledge about version 6.4 to call lines from the profile. "$user_profile[0]" used to work in 6.1 and 6.2, though it doesn't seem to in 6.4.

I don't quite understand "VIP_NAME"? Will you be substituting that with the user's display name or is "VIP" taken from another hack?

Sponsored Links
Hey Prime, no, what I meant was that I want to choose a single member, a very important person on the board, tell the UBB to single him/her out, and have his/her name show up in a different color when he/she posts. The "VIP_NAME" waas just a variable name filler... I should be able to put any user's name in there.

There's no substitution, rather a simple if block that tests whether or not it is that user posting. I know how to set up the if statement, but what I don't know is what variable name to use to call the user's name field in the profile. I guess it could also be done by checking their member number.

Take for example, this thread . Scroll down to the fourth reply and you'll see that I changed the name for the VIP, named "matty", to blue. This was done in 6.1.x using the code above in my original post. I've tried it with 6.4 and it doesn't work. frown

I don't know if this code is correct in syntax but seems to work without a glitch. In public_topic_page.pl find:

Code
[/code]and after add:

Code
</pre></div></div>Now take this code:<br><br><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
and place it where you want the user's color to be displayed. The "ff0000" can be changed to whatever color you want. It should look something like:

Code
</pre></div></div>In place of "VIP_NAME" post the user's public display name.  Now this only allows you to put one name but if you wish to add more do this:<br><br> [code]
Now you should be able to add 2 names. To add more just look at the code and copy and paste.

I tested it so it should work on 6.4 versions. Let me know how it goes. smile

If this works then placing it in the "last reply" and "recent visitors" shouldn't be hard. Just let me know.

What actually might be more practical if you were to install just a portion on the Font Hack (color only) then make the custom profile field optional in the Registration Settings via CP. To prevent users from entering their own color code you can edit out the custom profile filed bit in the public_register_form.pl, public_register_confirm.pl and public_edit_profile.pl files. Then to set your VIP user colors go into CP and enter the color code of your choice in each member's properties.

I did that before as well as with their avatars...Very effective. smile

Thanks a ton Prime! I'll go try this out and let you know.

Edit: Worked like a charm. smile Thanks again, Prime, I appreciate it.

Cool. smile

Sponsored Links
Why not make it as a hack PrimeTime? I'd like to have it too, with the possibility that you can add names in CP. (Including avatars smile )

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
quote:
Originally posted by Saxeus:
Why not make it as a hack PrimeTime?
Because I'm not a coder. frown Although I consider myself a template editor. laugh

Hmm...It would be an interesting hack though. Something in the mix of Font Hack, Team Image Hack and Custom Status Hack (all 3 combined).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63