Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54670 10/15/2002 12:11 PM
ang
I've got a problem with my board in that a few members start good topics on controversial subjects, but then don't like hearing other views. So once they start hearing views contrary to their own, they go in and delete their post, but since they were topic starters, that deletes the entire thread.

I had it set on allow members to edit but not delete their own posts, but that results in a flood of emails from people all the time.

Is there a hack (or maybe I've missed something in the controls that would allow this) where a person could delete their post only, but not the entire thread? Or a hack that would allow members to delete their posts, except when their posts were topic starters.

I'm tired of continually fielding email from people asking what happened to such and such topic.

Many thanks in advance,

Ang

Sponsored Links
The only time that deleting a post will delete the thread is if it is the first post. Otherwise, it simply deletes that post alone.

I can't see a time when you would need to delete the first post of a thread, considering that most likely the following posts wouldn't make much sense without the first...

ang
I should have made myself more clear. It's the people who are deleting the first posts - their posts - and it deletes the whole thread. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's because they've figured out that they can delete the entire thread by doing that, and they choose to delete the thread when topics aren't going their way.

There's no problem when somebody deletes their own post and it's within the thread. Just when the person who did the first post decides to delete his/her post, and there goes the whole thread, along with everyone else's posts. (And those non consensual deletees are complaining too, which I agree with)

The only solution I know of right now is to turn off delete and allow them to remove the text of the post via edit, but not actually delete.

I looked through the mods and couldn't find anything, and was wondering if there was an alternative.

Ang

#54673 10/16/2002 11:01 AM
CTM Offline
Moderator / Da Masta
Moderator / Da Masta
ubb_edit_post.cgi, find:

code:
Code
	# make sure user is an admin or moderator of this forum
$is_one = &is_admin_or_mod($in{f}, @user_profile);

Add after:

code:
[qb]
Code
	# make sure this is not the first post in the thread
if (($is_one ne 'true') && ($in{reply_num} eq '000000')) { &StandardHTML("$vars_wordlets_err{first_post_in_thread}"); }
[/qb]
vars_wordlets_err.cgi, add:

Code
    q!first_post_in_thread! => q!Error: You may not delete the first post in a thread if you are not an Administrator or Moderator of this forum.!,
This will allow only Admins or Mods to edit or delete the first post in the thread. smile Untested, but I'm pretty sure it will work. smile

#54674 10/16/2002 12:11 PM
ang
CTM,

You absolutely ROCK!

It worked like a charm and was exactly what I needed.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Ang

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63