Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54570 09/12/2002 6:53 PM
This is probably going to seem like quite alot to ask, and I suppose it is, but I doubt I'm the only one who would find a use for this.

Anyway, this is sorta like the Karma hack from way back when, and sorta like a have for vB (who we must outdo in every respect!).

Basicly, it's a system to warn (or strike) a user because of a post that he/she made that broke the rules. Here's what I would love to see it do:

1. Have the strike button along with the other buttons on each post, which when clicked (only by a mod of that forum, or by an admin), would increase the strike count of that person by 1, and send them a PM notifying them they have been struck, and what topic it was. Also, if possible, to have the PM include the mod/admin who "struck" the user, which would simplify the rectifying of any difficulties between members and staff decisions.

2. After the number of strikes (preferably set in the CP) allowed is reached, the user would be suspended, or temporarily banned, for a length of time also set in the CP.

3. After a length of time, also set in the CP, the user's strike total would be decreased by 1.

4. After yet another length of time (again, set in the CP), the user could then return (be unbanned), and their number of strikes set to a specific number, also set in the CP.

5. Then, if the user exceeded the max number of strikes again, they would be banned permanently, and an email and IP ban would be put in.

That was really hard to explain in words (much easier to imagine in my head wink ), so here is a sample scenario:

Max # of strikes: 3
Length of time before 1 strike wears off: 1 month
Length of time before temp ban wears off: 2 months
Number of strikes when returning from temp ban: 2

- User X spams, any mod/admin strikes X.
- In the same month, X spams again and is struck again. Total strikes: 2.
- X shapes up a bit and a month goes by without spamming, X's strikes now total 1.
- X has some weird breakdown, and spams 2 times in the month, strike total: 3.
- The hack would then temporarily ban X for 2 months. X is prevented from posting, and all other functions.
- After 2 months, the hack will unban X, and set X's strikes to 2.
- X is wisely on his/her best behavior for the next month so X is not banned permanently in his first month. Total strikes: 1.
- X hooks up with the wrong kind of friends, and goes on another spamfest, and gets 2 more strikes in 1 month. Total strikes: 3.
- The hack now bans X permanently, disabling all functions for X and enstating e-mail and IP bans.
- Sorry, X.

Does that make sense?

I know it is quite complicated, but I would be EXTREMELY appreciative if someone would make this for me, and others who may desire it now or in the future.

Let me know if you need more info, or some incentive for someone to make it for me smile

Thanks so much in advance!

Sponsored Links
#54571 09/13/2002 6:50 AM
Sounds cool, and usefull.

potential roadblocks to over come:

What stops a spammer from creating a new account?
Banning IP's works, but many of my members come through a proxy server. I ban a lot of people with one IP.
Cookies would work but too many people know how to clear cache and cookies.

And Ill go you one better. Along the lines of the Kudos thing. Let people build points. Good for special titles, Avatars, cookie of the month, discounts off merchandise etc.

#54572 09/13/2002 3:17 PM
Persistant spammers would have to be dealt with on a time-by-time basis, as they are now. A combinatin of general-IP banning as well as requiring users to validate through email (spammers are unlikely to create a new email address just to return and be banned again), has been quite effective for me.

I'm not so bad at coding myself, so I could try and help out anyone who would be willing to construct this hack, if it would be needed.. but I'm nowhere near as good as most on here that would be needed to make this hack.

Anybody willing?

#54573 09/13/2002 9:18 PM
Great idea. It's something like Karma with the warn and stuff but nobody ever came around to porting a warn system.

#54574 09/14/2002 9:14 AM
Glad you guys like the idea smile And yeh, Lord Dexter, that's pretty much the idea of it, except that it's obviously more complicated, and normal members cannot warn (or strike) other users.. only mods of that forum or admins.

I think it'd be quite useful for many admins around here, and I know for a fact I'd love to have this kind of system on my board.

So, now all we need is a hacking/coding mastermind to bring it to life smile

Many kudos to any takers!

Sponsored Links
#54575 09/16/2002 1:44 AM
Chu Offline
quote:
Originally posted by Chrimera:
Sounds cool, and usefull.

potential roadblocks to over come:

What stops a spammer from creating a new account?
Banning IP's works, but many of my members come through a proxy server. I ban a lot of people with one IP.
Cookies would work but too many people know how to clear cache and cookies.

And Ill go you one better. Along the lines of the Kudos thing. Let people build points. Good for special titles, Avatars, cookie of the month, discounts off merchandise etc.
you could do what i do,

allow people to reguster, but make it so that you have to approve new registrations. its simple and keeps people from abusing the forum. you can also ban e-mail addresses and IPs as well. this way your security is tip-top =P

#54576 09/16/2002 3:35 PM
I'm fully aware of other ways of banning people, I require unique email address, verify email address, commonly use IP (both general and specific) and e-mail banning. I'm not looking for more effective ways of banning people, I'm looking for an effective and efficient system to simplify the warning/banning method.

Sure, these standard principles will work for slow boards, but when you get up to 70,000 visitors a day.. you have to ban at least a couple people each day, and keeping track of warnings and fairly banning everyone is extremely tough when you're that busy. Hence my request for this hack wink

#54577 09/16/2002 5:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by UltimateDBZ:
Sure, these standard principles will work for slow boards, but when you get up to 70,000 visitors a day.. you have to ban at least a couple people each day, and keeping track of warnings and fairly banning everyone is extremely tough when you're that busy. Hence my request for this hack wink
So then what are you worried about? You currently have 116 registered members and your busiest day in the past 20 was monday sept. 9 with a whopping 43 unique hits.

But this does sound like an interesting hack none the less.

A wise man Confucious once say, "Man who stands on toilet, high on pot!"
#54578 09/16/2002 6:06 PM
@Bikzit: LOL! If you were looking at udbzn.com - that was my board of quite awhile ago. I don't even visit it anymore it's so slow, but some of those who still visit want it left open, so I don't object. I guess I should change the homepage link in my profile, but I never thought to. Anyway, my real board is the one that gets the 70k+ hits. That was a good laugh though laugh

#54579 09/18/2002 3:57 PM
*glances at watch*

More than 24 hours have passed, so...

^bump^

smile

Sponsored Links
#54580 09/21/2002 10:31 AM
>_< I hate having to reply to my own posts, makes me feel naive and stuff tipsy

Anyway, I thought for sure there'd be a taker or two by now, but nobody has volunteered... hmmm, anybody willing to make this hack? As others have said, it is a good idea, and I really think it will prove useful to many admins.

Just lemme know, please, and thanks in advance! smile

#54581 10/11/2002 10:06 PM
OK, I'm officially frustrated LOL. I decided to roll up my sleeves, crack down, and try again to make the hack on my own. But, I failed again laugh , hence my frustration wink I had fun trying, though, so no harm done.

I really do need this hack made though, the other admins and mods at my board are getting antsy, they're wanting this hack _now!_ it's all I can do to keep 'em patient tipsy

I'm to the point where I'd be willing to PAY somebody on here to make me this hack (it has to work, mind you wink ). Just contact me, and we'll work things out.

Thanks everybody smile

#54582 10/12/2002 3:02 PM
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
You got your PM wink

#54583 10/13/2002 2:55 PM
Although I don't use the UBB anymore and I have no website. But I have an idea:
To allow people to register in specific days like weekends or something. Spammers are impatient. They won't wait for couple days to register and get banned again. wink

#54584 10/14/2002 2:31 PM
@JB007: As I said before, I'm not really looking for more ways to prevent spammers from getting to the forum, and I certainly don't want to drive away potential valuable members who happen to be impatient. What this is for is to get rid of current members that happen to go all spam-crazy on you, and to prevent those members that spam only on occassion, from doing so.

LK has agreed to make this hack for me (and for us all) so we're currently collaborating on it's ins and outs. It'll be posted here when it's done, for everybody to enjoy smile

#54585 09/26/2003 9:51 AM
so wait. IT uses's the report post icon to strike someone? Is there a way to have a seperate ICON right next to "report post" that says STRIKE... and when clicked it'll strike?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63