Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I would like to see a mod to V6.2.x which would allow me to set, via CP, an allowable maximimum number of posts per day per person. A global default setting I can change would be great.

The problem I'm trying to solve is a poor pathetic soul has nothing to do all day but post - in a recent 24-hr period he made +50 posts on one forum, very few of which were ontopic or of any value whatsoever. Our regulars are sick of him and probably 50% of threads spiral offtopic because of this loser babbling on about nothing (like I'm doing). I would like to be able to manage this, set it to say 20 per day.

wishig i had been born with the capacity to write my own perl frown

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I don't want to sound rude, but you could prune his posts, ban his IP, and nuke his account.

Well a max post per day is not a bad idea I like it, if anyone can do this !

quote:
Originally posted by Sub Zero:
I don't want to sound rude, but you could prune his posts, ban his IP, and nuke his account.

I would love to do that, but it's not the correct thing to do. This guy has brought some value and many readers to our forums so making him go away could really explode in my face. I just want to be able to effortlessly manage him, w/o having to review all of his posts every day or remind him daily of proper use.

I want this too. In fact, I posted it as a suggestion to Infopop's feature suggestions board as "Know-it-all" block a while back.

I have a couple of situations that may seem more appropriate for a feature like this and less appropriate for banning...

Situation One:
I have a user who, again, has no life who is very knowledgeable and has an answer for every question. His posts are helpful and on-topic but I want a discussion forum, not a Q and A with one user.

Situation Two:
I have another user who is very enthusiastic and has made an effort to see his name at the top of every forum. Most of his posts are appropriate to the forum but they are ridiculously shallow.

I just want to be able to tell all of my users uniformly, "There are only five posts allowed per day", or "There are only three posts allowed per hour" or something. ...And I don't want my moderators to have to watch for it.

Sponsored Links
have you tried speaking to the member?

Pm him and say he is a good member of the community, but he seems to spam a bit, would it be possible to reduce the spam.

I think this hack is not good, mainly because it means if someone does have 10 posts to make, then can make 10 posts.

Most of my members only visit once or twice a day and post around 5/10 posts, but i would hate to think that a member can only post 5 messages a hour.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Any more thought to this in the last 3 years? I've got a member just like little joe's frown

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Addict
Addict
Add a new profile slot with the format "$max:$current:$last_access_time" or split them into three slots. "$max" defines the maximum amount of posts "$current" indicates the current post count.

$current++ for each (successfull) post action and if $current > $max kick him off.

if $time_now > $last_access_time + 24hours then update $last_access_time with $time_now and reset $current

hmmm... this may look a little cryptic wink

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Just a little wink Logically it sounds good tho smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Veteran
Veteran
Allen you are the king of necroposters, know that? wink

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'm honored, I think tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63