Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Not sure if there is something like this already, but here goes.

I've been working with the idea of multiple communities and work areas for users. Some communities are running UBB, others are running other boards (or no boards at all).

What I'd like to be able to see is a way to create 'dummy' forums under specific topics that look like the user is clicking into another section of the UBB, but is really being directed to another URL.

The only thing that I would see difficult would be linking up # of posts and Last post, though these can be done easily with either static text or simply a javascript file. Using a hack on Todays's Active Posts that wrote out simply a text file, I was able to build a .JS file that updated other parts of my site -- this would be perfect for adding to the allusion that these areas are connected.

Any suggestions if this is possible? It would be a big help to those of us working with communities across many servers or different systems.

Thanks

clif

clif
Sponsored Links
Hmmmm...no responses smile

Can anyone give me a clue where I should be looking to do something like this myself? It doesn't sound like it would be that difficult to hack...an extra field and a few If Then type Statements in case I want a redirect instead of pointing to the forum...

It'd give me a reason to learn Perl a bit more smile

clif

clif
Developer
Developer
Hi,

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Let's say Site A runs a vB, Site B runs a UBB, and Site C runs nada.

The UBB has 3 forums. One discussing matters regardng site B but has two other forums referring to Site A and Site C. When clicking the forum to Site a, you are redirected to the vB site and when clicking on the Site C forum you are redirected to Site C. Is this the kind of functionality you want?

qasic

Exactly smile

Another site runs a sister forum to my own...its a UBB as well, but I mentioned other community boards simply because essentially I want to be able to display a forum under a specific category and instead of having it link back to one of my own forums, have it link to someone elses.

For instance, if I was running a Computer Hardware Site, and another site was running something directly dedicated to Processors -- going into MUCH more detail than I would have for my own, I'd love to have a link on the page that said Processors -- Run by XYZ Corp (external link), but having it inline with the rest of the board.

Right now, I have links to these other sites in the form of sidebars, but it just isn't a clean implementation. When people are looking to interact in a community, they generally don't click on external links. By having these look like they were part of the UBB, they would be more likely to check this stuff out.

Again, if I can just get a few clues as to what I need to look for to do this, I can probably do this myself and submit the results back to here incase anyone wants to do the same smile

Thanks

clif

clif
Developer
Developer
Why don't use a javascript redirect in the Forum's header to redirect people to the approprate pages then?

qasic

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I've thought about that one too smile

Heck, I could even use HTML on the forums title and redirect it there - though nested A HREF's ain't nice.

I was just hoping to do something a little more elegant...for instance, I was planning on using an external .JS to update the Last Post forum...who wants to go to a forum that hasn't been posted to in years.

Thanks for the help smile I'm going to see if I can sift through the code and figure this one out...

clif

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63