Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I posted a long message in the chit-chat forum concerning our new site (design, scripting, integration, ...), but it seems to be drifting away almost unnoticed frown

Could someone please help us out?
https://www.ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000785

Niko Pettersen (Phoenix)
Webmaster and project developer of PlastiqueWeb.com
Sponsored Links
Moderator / Template Diva
I read that Chit Chat post, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're trying to get. I mean, you've provided screenshots and stuff, so it doesn't seem like you need any design help. And it sounds like you've got the forums situation handled well enough for now. So please explain what it is you're needing help with, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

---Skorpion

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
Old Hand
Old Hand
I'm with Skorpion here. Your site and forum both look great. Are you just looking for more forum members? Tell us what you need and we'll try to help you.

By the way, I really do like your site's layout. laugh

I figured my post was too long and confusing wink

Simply put, we're just looking for a method to classify our graphics, have them displayed neatly on a page (w/ thumbnails) and have a link to the corresponding post in the forums for commentaries.

I saw the file attachment hack today in the beta section, and it got me thinking. Why not create an image-post hack for UBB, which would post a normal message on the board along with a screenshot of the image that has been uploaded with the post?

I have a few examples of HTML pages (based on UBB's templates) made up at home, so I'll post some screenshots of them later on to give you a better picture of what I'm trying to achieve.

I think it was a bit too early for me to post anything about our site concidering that there's not much on there for now. But thanks for the feedback guys smile I guess I'm just impatient to get this project started that's all laugh

Niko Pettersen (Phoenix)
I made the following pages simply by editing the html generated by UBB. This hack doesn't actually exist yet, but I'm just trying to find out if someone's willing to give me a hand with it smile

Basically what this hack would do is to create an alternate 'new post' form that would include a new fields such as : upload, size in pixels and file size.

Posting a 'New image' (instead of 'New Post')

[Linked Image]

This is what the post would look like :

[Linked Image]

And finally, the alternate forum page with screenshots :

[Linked Image]

I think I'll try to start working on the code myself, but if anyone feels inspired to create this hack, please don't hesitate to contact me in private smile I know I'm going to have trouble creating the classification system (sort by artist, category, etc.) not to mention the upload procedure itself. But nevertheless, I'll try to get as far as I can laugh

This feature would be perfect for our site and I'm sure others would find it very useful too! smile

[ May 03, 2001 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Phoenix2k ]

Niko Pettersen (Phoenix)
Sponsored Links
Hmm, interesting concept. As much as I'd really like to help with this, it sounds like a lot more than a simple template mod. So I don't think I'll be able to help much.

This topic might do better in v6 Mod Suggestions, so I'm moving it over there. smile

---Skorpion

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
Hehe, yeah it is a bit more complicated than just modifying a template laugh

If someone were to make this, it'd require the topic rating hack, the [new] upload hack, a cgi script which would be able to resize images to create screenshots, a classification script (to sort by artists, categories etc.), etc...

The template modifications and adding the buttons I can do. But when it comes to actually creating new code to build up the engine that would do this, I'm lost frown

Somehow this hack should make UBB understand which forums are meant to be using this hack and which ones are to be displayed normally.

This hack would take a lot of planning ahead as well as countless cups of coffee and cigarettes.. One would have to figure out all the different features, how they could be used with features already existing in UBB etc...

A mind job... that's what this is. I'm pretty convinced nobody has the time or patience to develop this. Perhaps I'll just do this manually w/out the sorting system and the fancy forum display.

Niko Pettersen (Phoenix)
If someone would listen to MY suggestion, I think that you would find this to be a pretty simple task. There is an already existing application out there for image display that is almost EXACTLY like UBB in every aspect. I mean, the way it looks, feels, and how it handles member files is almost EXACTLY the same as UBB. I think it would fit seamlessly into what you are trying to accomplish over there. Check out my suggestion...

https://www.ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=001427

Hopefully you will find this helpful, because I know that I would use it. cool

There are just days when I wish I knew how to code... sometimes I even feel that if I make myself believe that I can, I'll actually be able to pull something off (and I have, just never released it).

I checked out your thread, and the ones on UBB Support, and the ones on Image Arcadia, and yes it would be a great feature for UBB, but concidering the amount of good UBB hackers out there who would actually have the knowledge on how to do this, I'm afraid that with the limited amount of time they have, we won't be seeing this hack. Image Arcadia seemed more intersted in importing UBB profiles rather than merging the two. Understandable, they'd lose their business otherwise unless they'd put a price tag on the hack which is rather pointless.

I don't know man...

I managed to get the HTML pages to look somewhat resonable, so since I've gotten this far, why not try to go even further. Replacing all those HTML elements with corresponding tags in the UBB scripts shouldn't be too hard and as for the classification thing, I'm sure there's something out there that can be used.

I don't know perl very well, but hopefully by stareing at the code long enough I'll some how be able to come up with something that works, just as I did before when I made some enhancements to our good old 5.x forums.

If anything comes up, let me know laugh (and please keep on harassing those Arcadia people! I'm sure they'll crack at some point ;))

In the meantime, I'll slowly start working on this and post news on the progress.

Pe<|ce.

Niko Pettersen (Phoenix)
The sad part is, I have been in your shoes like 100 times. I want a hack so bad I feel like I can code or something. Truthfully, I can't at all.

Anyway, If you need help on that mod or anything or whatever, I will help you out as best I can. I know HTML like the back of my hand and I know photoshop pretty damn well too, if that means anything. If you get that hack working, I would LOVE to use it. I could get rid of image arcadia all together.

frusterating, isn't it? mad

Sponsored Links
Fustrating to say the least laugh

But thanks, I'll contact you once I start up. Right now I have to start dragging my **** to a new appartment so I won't be able to start it until the end of next week wink

Pe<|ce.

Niko Pettersen (Phoenix)
Yeah no, I'm dropping this project. I can't even figure out where to start as far as the code is concerned. Too bad, would have enjoyed seeing this hack for UBB frown

Niko Pettersen (Phoenix)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63