Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#45036 02/06/2001 6:15 PM
Hello, I'm a member of several UBB forums, and a moderator on VWvortex. The moderators and administrators on several of the forums have been having problems with "trolls" and other unwanted posters lately.

So, to get to my question, I was wondering if anyone has developed a hack for an IP number search yet. This would be far more helpful than the current hunt & peck method, especially on forums with a membership of 20,000+ like VWvortex.

Thanks for your time. smile

-Lawson Earl

[ February 07, 2001: Message edited by: VeeDubTDI ]

Sponsored Links
I think I've asked about/for this before.. noone's come up with an answer yet though.. besides, with the current way the ubb works, you'd have to add a profile field to record the last IP number the user posted with, I believe, otherwise any search would have to search all open threads, for every post by every user, and the IP used..

#45038 02/07/2001 12:03 AM
Hmmm, it would certainly be very helpful to be able to search all of the IPs of a certain thread, forum, or the entire UBB (albiet rather time consuming). I was thinking something along the lines of the A, moderator/administrator enters the IP number to search for (with wildcards (*)), the topic/forum to search in, and the UBB displays all users who have used this IP. The second option,B, would be the moderator/administrator enters the username to search for, the topic/forum to search in, and the UBB displays all IPs for that user.

Hopefully someone has/can create something along these lines. smile

Thanks,
Lawson Earl

#45039 02/07/2001 12:01 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, with my current grasp of perl, writing something like this would take rather more time than I have available.

I suggest you maybe look at the way the current search features work, and see if theres some way you can modify that to search for IPs in the way you've just described..

There are probably some people in the Perl forum who can help you out..

#45040 02/07/2001 12:09 PM
i can write a script like this, with not much of a trouble.

searching the IP would return all displayed names, member user and member number. needs just a password admin check. need to find out how the ip (and where) is recorded too.

i was planning in making a better admin cp too, but with some current things happening, i just dont know. gotta wait ubbs final release. im worried about many things, including the addiction of modifications would mess speed, server load etc.

maybe im wrong; maybe i should use database instead flat files for storage with my forum. well, whatever.

Sponsored Links
#45041 02/07/2001 12:23 PM
Didn't I see you over at phpbb.com CC?

I can't really decide which direction to move in right now.. contemplating on waiting for version 2.0 of phpbb and testing that out when it arrives..

The IP's for each post (at least in version 5.45 etc) are stored in the thread file (ie 000005.cgi) etc..

If that helps smile

yes lucia smile thats me. ill talk to you there about phpbb wink

thanks for the info, ill start this now.

you guys want the ability to choose the forum? ok, ill do that anyway hehe. note that full search of all forums may take a while if your forum is big.

CopyCat, thanks for helping out. Yes, it would be really nice to be able to search each forum individually (that way moderators can search their forums, and admins can search the entire BB).

I just changed my email address to veedubtdi@yahoo.com , so don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or need clarification.

Thanks a billion,
Lawson smile

*several internal server errors later*

piece of cake [Linked Image]

actually not so easy. here it is

http://banco.jogosonline.com.br/ubbmods/ipsearch.txt

rename .cgi, chmod 755.

it has been tested with ubb 5.47d. it doesnt display the displayed usernames hehe, nor user numbers. it doesnt work with ubb6.

its a admin-only script, sorry. and it doesnt search private foruns.

be carefull while searching ips of members with high number of posts. this script will not display more than 500 matches. hope it helps.

edit: oh and it has not been tested with NTs and Windowzez. regretfully, i dont know how to make code compatible with those frown.

[ February 07, 2001: Message edited by: CopyCat ]

Wow, that was fast! Thanks so much for your time. Hopefully there will be something a little better for UBB6, but this helps a lot for now.

Thanks again,
Lawson smile

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, will it search forum by forum, or is it the entire message board?

-Lawson

entire

be carefull.. [Linked Image]

Ooooh, okay. I'll be sure to let the admins know about that. eek

-Lawson laugh

Pretty effing cool! Thanks CopyCat! It works in UBB5.44a. But using partial IP's would be even better. Like 205.188

#45050 02/08/2001 12:58 PM
Works for me too, good work CC..

smile

Now I can go be evil and root out the lil sneaks

There needs to be a version that isn't Admin-only. frown

Actually, I'd prefer it if you could search for subnets, which doesn't seem to work..
(ie just 203.45.20 ) and have it pull up everything from 0 to 255 in the last part).. but what's there is at least a lot more useful than nothing at all smile

Oh yes! The hack that CopyCat made is very useful. The only real drawbacks are the 500 limit search, the subnet thing, individual forum searches, and the admin-only thing.

I'm sure that sometime in the future, there will be an IP search feature built into the UBB, with all of the bells and whistles. smile

Thanks for helping me out guys. smile

-Lawson cool

We sound like such ungrateful lil freaks.. hehe.

I can probably alter it so mods can use it too.. give me a lil time and I'll take a look.. as for the other things, only a vague idea of how to do that.. hmm..

Wow, you all are so helpful. I really don't know what to say... except... thanks! smile

I can't wait for my sites to upgrade to UBB6. This format is great!

-Lawson

[Linked Image] Thread | Download

Not V6 compat, aint even gonna think about making it so till we get a stable version.

I use it tons at Q3W for worming out the trolls, VERY effective.

[ February 11, 2001: Message edited by: Turbanator ]

Very cool. Who can use it? Admins, admins & mods, anyone? Forum by forum search? search limit?

Thanks,
Lawson

[Linked Image] Doesn't work off threads, works off memberfiles, the ip is logged in the memberfile when registering, and updated when a posting and replying. A index is also created, and another option is added to the cp , along with a "Last Known IP Address" display under the "User Name, Reg. Number, Date Registered". Works nicely at Q3W smile

Oooooh, I get it now. That's quite impressive.

If it were to be setup in a forum with say 20,000 members already, would it just start logging IPs from the date it was put into effect?

quote:
[Linked Image] I only implemented it at Q3W a few days before official release, and we have ~30,000 members. As it also re-logs the IP when you post/reply, the hack works for forums which are already "up and running". At Q3W we have our own little annoying troll, Geoff, but hunting him down isn't too hard anymore smile

Tip for any1 worming out trolls, don't IP ban more than once, if they come back using a new IP and your using this hack, just keep banning the nicks by searching for their IP, it's easier than trying to figure out if it's the same troll laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63