Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Okee dokee. Two things. For one, it didn't work with Mutt's UBB Code Button hack (like it works on this forum) and I did have a problem with one of Slurpee's instruction.

When he says to edit the forumdisplay file (for profile link)

In the subroutine TopicGutsHTML
Look for this code:
$ThisURL = qq($NonCGIURL/$ExactPath/HTML/$threadinfo[1].html);

Below it add the following:
$lastAuthName = qq(target=_blank> );
$lastName = $threadinfo[8];
$lastName =~ tr/+/ /;

That part has a white space that was giving me headaches. Deleting that white space fixed my problem...

Just a though... OOPS! Sorry Cal!!! [Linked Image]

Sponsored Links
It worked right when I installed it on all existing posts (after I re-built by doing the re-count/update threads), but when someone posts, it ends up being blank where their name should be! Check this out... any pointers would be much obliged!

Example

**UPDATE - Not only that but users can no longer post new topics! Replies work but new topics don't! I'm gonna have to back this one out.

-twice

I would re-do the hack. Try it a few times. It's the only way to know that it's not your syntax. Make sure all of your statements end with a semicolon and all of the variables have either a $ or @ in front of it (% is not being used in the changes from what I can tell).

Also, take a look at the HTML and make sure no whitespace where it would screw things up.

PrimeTime, you were right! I missed an edit the first time. Kudos to you, Slurpee, it works great now!

-twice

Last UserName to Post

now work with privats / multipagehack
UBB 5.45x

greetings from gErMaNy!

Sponsored Links
does it work?

cwm Offline
ok, seeing that this is in the "finished hacks" sure is misleading.. IS this thing finished?

As you can see, none of the hacks is a real "final". There is always something to optimize wink
This hack occupied us for several weeks. There are two versions right now:
  • The first variation shows the last user and you can get into his profile with a click. This hack is also used here.
  • The second variant leads us to the subscription of the last user in the covered thread.
    And this is where our problem appears: there is no support for private forums with more than one page. because of that I build in the routine for that. what happened now was that every post that should still appear on the "old" page was linked to the new, and this was the same with every setting. To be short: something was totally wrong. I removed this bug so that the hack should be a "real" final now. hehe.

the change is very small and applies to Slurpee's original-routine in "forumdisplay.cgi" only, so this is the only thing you need exchanged.

##Slurpee's Last Username Hack for Thread Link
$replies = $threadinfo[3];
$totalposts = $replies;
$lastpage = "";
$thesepages = $totalposts / $HTMLDisplayMax;
my ($thesetotal,$remainder) = split(/./,$thesepages);
$thesetotal = $thesetotal+2;
$lastpage = "$ThisURL";
if ($PrivateMax eq "yes") {
for (my $i=2; $i< $thesetotal ; $i++){
$lastpage = "$CGIURL/forumdisplay.cgi?action=displayprivate&number=$number&topic=$threadinfo[1]-$i";
}
} else {
for (my $i=2; $i< $thesetotal ; $i++){
$lastpage = "$NonCGIURL/$ExactPath/HTML/$threadinfo[1]-$i.html";
}
}
$lastName =~ tr/+/ /;
if ($replies >= 1) {
$lastAuthName = qq( by
$lastName );
}
else {
$lastAuthName = "";
}
##############

but just because it works perfectly for me it does not have to work for everyone else wink Thats the reason for my question.

I don't know guys, I had a couple private forum topics longer than one page and it worked fine, so I don't know what to say.

------------------
Webmaster Van Halen Links.com
http://www.vhlinks.com
UBB Moderator
http://www.scriptkeeper.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Is there a FINAL complete hack?
In my case, when I completed the hack, it worked fine when someone posted a new topic...when they made a reply to a thread, the whole thread would disappear from the list!

If the final hack is out there, can someone please post it with instructions...

Thanks...

Tony

Sponsored Links
I installed the hack that AA had posted a while back that supposably displays the "last reply by" in the private section, it didnt work =(, and sometimes i will get:

Last Reply By: 0

instead of

Last Reply By: Username

can someone help me out here?

Yes, I had this problem too. There is an error in the code. I emailed the fix to Slurpee last night. But here it is for you all.

open forumdisplay.cgi

Scan for Slurpee And replace that section with the following.

Code
code:

++Russ

[This message has been edited by repstein on June 15, 2000]

Well I fixed it myself, well at least the problem with the private forums, I dont exactly know what you did there repstien, but i didnt need to do that...

$ThisURL = qq($CGIURL/forumdisplay.cgi?action=displayprivate&number=$number&topic=$threadinfo[1]);
} else {
$ThisURL = qq($NonCGIURL/$ExactPath/HTML/$threadinfo[1].html);
}
$replies = $threadinfo[3];
$totalposts = $replies;
$lastpage = "";
$thesepages = $totalposts / $HTMLDisplayMax;
my ($thesetotal,$remainder) = split(/./,$thesepages);
$thesetotal = $thesetotal+2;
$lastpage = "$ThisURL";
for (my $i=20; $i< $thesetotal ; $i++) {
$lastpage = "$CGIURL/forumdisplay.cgi?action=displayprivate&number=$number&topic=$threadinfo[1]-$i";
}
} else {
for (my $i=20; $i< $thesetotal ; $i++) {
$lastpage = "$NonCGIURL/$ExactPath/HTML/$threadinfo[1]-$i.html";
}
}
$lastName =~ tr/+/ /;
if ($replies >= 1) {
$lastAuthName = qq(
last reply by:$lastName );
}
else {
$lastAuthName = "";
}

so far the newer posts have been working, but i still don't know why i got that last reply by: 0 thing... must of been a fluke..

but this little code up there let's the private forums show "last reply by: "

------------------

Repstein,

Thank you very much for this update to Slurpee's code. This fixed the problem I was having with the "Actual Post Linking" option. [Linked Image]

------------------
Steve
OptiBoard Discussion Forums

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
File has been updated in the database:

click here

------------------
Allen

- http://www.stand318.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
i installed slurpee's hack exactly as it should be , but the last post doesn't show , i get no errors or anything but it just don't show , what could be wrong with that ? is it my ubb version ?( 5.47c ) its leaving me clueless .

iowan.

...you're using the wrong one...I updated this file, look for "Latest reply by in forumdisplay.cgi" I offer pretty much full support for mine..

------------------

-DT
Ok then..how do I change the hack from the link to profile, to link to last post in thread??? Please tell me, please! Someone email me the hack?

It says In the readme there is two options: link to profile and link to Thread poster.

I just installed the version of this hack that is in the UBBDev database, and it's working great. My only question is how do you get the username link to point to the user's profile rather than the thread he replied to?

The only info about this hack is in one text file, and it doesn't say anything about switching between "profile" to "thread" link modes.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could clear this up for me.

Hi again neuro!! smile

Again, my 2 cents says to leave it as a navigation aid instead of a link to the profile. I'll go out on a limb and say that MOST users want to get to the most recent POST before they want to know WHO posted it. Once there, they can always get the profile of the poster.

Again, just my 2 cents...but IMVVVHO it is USELESS with a link to the poster's profile. smile

To answer your question, though, I'll have to revisit the docs and get back to you. smile

Thanks Vipermad, that's really a good point about leaving the links as navigational aids. Made me wonder "what the heck was I thinking?" to want to change it in the first place.

Unfortunately there was more than one problem with the way this modification worked on my board, and I decided that I would just remove it. I found that some usernames are rather long, and having to display them in the "last post" table threw off the other fields to the extent that in some forums the "last post" field was longer than the subject field. It just didn't look aesthetically pleasing to me.

Also, for some reason when you click on the username link, rather than take you to the user's final post in the thread it took you to the beginning of the thread. Not sure why. Anyway, I just figured the negatives outweighed the positives so I said adios to the hack.

Thanks again for all your repeated help and insight, Vipermad. You rule.

Yeah what you should do is if you don't want the long usernames just edit the Maximum charecters allowed in a username. The deafault is 25 so something like 15 won't hurt the tables tooo much.

Good idea there Lord...but once the board is up and has a bunch of users it might be too late. Good thing to possibly add into the archives for new 5.xx users (yes, I think there are MANY who prefer a 5.xx board over 6 smile ).

Neuro, you are correct. I have done extensive testing with max length usernames, and it IS something that can be annoying. What I did on one board was I modified the text, and the layout of the "last post by....." so it was much shorter and didn't affect the cell width as much.

If I was starting over, I would combine what I have already done, with Lord's idea, for a much happier place!! smile

I'm revisiting this hack and since I just can not get the link to the "last user to post" to go to that user's last post (it just goes to the top of the thread and you still have to scroll down to get to the last post), I'm once again considering having it link to the user's profile instead. It says in the hack database description:

quote:
I don't see that option, can anyone shed some light on this? I suspect I may have to change something in:

if ($replies >= 1) {
$lastAuthName = qq(
Latest reply by: $lastpage#$threadinfo[3]">$lastName );
} else {
$lastAuthName = "";
}

But I'm not sure exactly what.

The link to the instructions is here, if anyone is interested in looking into it for me:

https://www.ubbdev.com/hacks/latestreplybyinforumdisplay.txt

Thanks in advance. I'm sure that there will be some future users that will be interested in this option as well.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Guys.. i really need this mod for my 5.47e version, but the link no longer works.. can anyone tell me how I can add author name to the summary of last posts to the forums??

thanks!

Journeyman
Journeyman
Sorry guys! I just saw the last post, missed that before.. thanks! all sorted.

quote:
Anyone know where this elusive option is?

quote:
Download "Last post in Ultimate.cgi" from the v5 Database.

quote:
Indeed dude...
I trying to collect all the 5.xx series hacks, so people don't keep on gettin broken links

Yeah. There are also alot of hacks missing from UBBDev's database. SpAwN's database (when it was up) had 140 V5 Hacks.

Is spawn's ever going back up ?
If not, can someone lemme know where I can get a hold of all the hacks..
I'll make a little site for 'em

It was up but it went down because Piratecove switched servers and he has to wait for SpAwN to move the files.

ohh..
Is he still around ?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63