Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman
I've been a photopost user almost since they first started building in the threads user database integration, and its been working semi-ok ever since...

Lets just say I have issues with the software and the level of service i get there for the 100's of bucks I have shelled out on many domains...

So, i was wondering if there is any other gallery software out there that uses the threads database for user access?

I'd like to know of any other alternatives...

(I hope that I can also get some good responses to this, even though i know this site is really hard core into photopost...)

Deejay

Sponsored Links
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I don't think there is other software as tightly integrated into ubbthreads as photopost is. But it should be possible for Comppermine and Gallery to intergrate with ubbthrads after tweaking on the configuration files.

I think you could use coppermine which would require a certain level of expertise on your part to integrate it into your site... http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/

Edit: they have integration instructions built in that may prove useful if you look at how they do it for other message boards systems

Last edited by Pappy; 08/25/2004 12:16 PM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Wow, opensource!! This coppermine stuff looks really snappy! Thanks guys...

Deej

Addict
Addict
I've worked with coppermine, I got it to use the same header and footer, etc.. And it checked if you were logged in. Not very hard to do.

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Sponsored Links
I use coppermine as a standalone on one of my sites and it works like a charm with very few issues

Hi,

Could you let me know how you did this? Would save me from trying to figure it out myself

Sanuk!

Addict
Addict
One thing, it does NOT use the threads memberbase, just matches the look etc...

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Hi,

Ah, so users would have to login twice?
That might be a bit of a pain as we would like to allow only members from certain groups to use it.

Sanuk!

ksanuk said:
Hi,

Ah, so users would have to login twice?
That might be a bit of a pain as we would like to allow only members from certain groups to use it.

Sanuk!

Anyone know a way around this?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
yes, http://www.photopost.com

I'm not familiar with coppermine, but they should have some sort of support forum too, you might check to see if an integration mod is available there...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Only thing Allen is I can't afford to buy the license at the moment for PhotoPost

I have posted over on their forums, but I don't think many people know much about Threads.

I have installed it and its all working, but everyone has to register and log in again, so its ok for the time being until I can get PhotoPost

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm... most likely this can be done for the new forum software, it's kinda a lotta work to begin for threads unless the developer is paid. Which I'm saying your time invested in coppermine isn't lost, the integration may be more feasible with the newer version tho.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I have started to think that. By the time I have funded for a developer to integrate them I might as well pay for PhotoShop

Addict
Addict
Buying photoshop should also be cheaper than hiring a developer to integrate coppermine.

Lurker
Lurker
Originally Posted by Astaran
Buying photoshop should also be cheaper than hiring a developer to integrate coppermine.

NO WAY...

When you buy a photopost license, you pay about 129 bucks. Thats good for THAT version you install forever... If you ever want to upgrade after one year of use, you HAVE TO re-pay for ANOTHER license!! So far I have fed photopost easily over 600-1000 bucks over 4-5 years, and have received support, although it takes a while and I would love to leave because of the nickle and dime.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Just wait on Rick, UBB will have a photogallery in the next couple major revisions...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Coder
Coder
I pay $39 for renew my membership

Power User
Power User
Just wait on Rick, UBB will have a photogallery in the next couple major revisions...

The above was posted in 2006. I"m still waiting.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Gallery Forums where added in UBB.threads v7.2.0 (July 16, 2007), whereas major portions where reworked in v7.6.0 which add in lightbox support, mobile functionality, and an enhanced display of images.

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Power User
Power User
Is there a detailed description of "all" of the capabilities of the Gallery forums? I've always thought of them as very superficial and limited in capability.

Example: I want USERS to be able to add photos. Then I want PUBLIC to see only an organized arrangement of the photos.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
coffee and code
coffee and code
Originally Posted by Bill B
Is there a detailed description of "all" of the capabilities of the Gallery forums? I've always thought of them as very superficial and limited in capability.

Example: I want USERS to be able to add photos. Then I want PUBLIC to see only an organized arrangement of the photos.

1) go to Control Panel
2) go to "Forum" (within the Content section)
3) Click on "Permissions" next to the forum you want to edit.
4) Expand and edit the value of the item you want to customize. The directions are in the header of that page.
Click the "Update Permissions For This Forum" button at the bottom, and you're done.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Power User
Power User
Thanks. I am familiar with steps 1 thru 4 above. :-)

I have two Galleries already that display in a single column format.

I want my new third Gallery to display 5 across. And I'm comfortable with modifying the Template.

But, apparently "ALL GALLERIES MUST USE THE SAME TEMPLATE"...... at least that appears to be the rule. I don't mind hacking a file (cache?) and changing the Template number... but this doesn't seem to be that easy.

Am I really restricted to ONE GALLERY TEMPLATE without some serious hacking??

Hint: Why or why doesn't someone write a bridge to COPPERMINE?

MY FORUM 15+ years http://vcca.org/forum/

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
coffee and code
coffee and code

Coppermine is...
fact: not mobile friendly.
fact: the demo site provides no image examples.
fact: the interface is severely dated by at least a decade.
opinion: its ugly.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I want my new third Gallery to display 5 across. And I'm comfortable with modifying the Template.

But, apparently "ALL GALLERIES MUST USE THE SAME TEMPLATE"...... at least that appears to be the rule. I don't mind hacking a file (cache?) and changing the Template number... but this doesn't seem to be that easy.

Am I really restricted to ONE GALLERY TEMPLATE without some serious hacking??
Yes, you'll need to make a new cache_builder file and inject it into the UBB's portal box listing.

It's not Standards Compliant (even to the xHTML specification they use in their header, let alone the modern HTML5 specification that we use) or even Mobile Capable (see attached screenshot below), so it's likely not going to happen from either of us unless hired to create a bridge, and I doubt anyone is going to pay for development of one. Plus, IIRC, it doesn't even have a member system and is designed for a single user to manage a gallery; so I'm not even sure how feasible a bridge would be.

UBB.threads is a Forum platform that just happens to have a photo gallery built in; where we're more than happy to look at making things easier to use or be standards compliant, third party scripts are out of the scope of development tasks.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170314-143707.png (673.09 KB, 125 downloads)

Power User
Power User
Coppermine is...
fact: not mobile friendly.
fact: the demo site provides no image examples.
fact: the interface is severely dated by at least a decade.
opinion: its ugly.
Well, I concur with the above comments regarding Coppermine.

What's amusing is that we have an RFP out right now for someone to take over the management of our computing services including our Forum. One of the first responders, said "Your forum is currently running under a product called UBB. I find it to be very outdated and, frankly, kind of ugly."

Ha!!! Sometimes we don't see ourselves in the mirror, the same way that others do.

---Ignoring Coppermine (or any others), it appears that in spite of all of the UBB upgrades to get to 7.6 that we are woefully behind in offering new or expanded functionality. I don't mean to dredge up this old topic from 4 or 5 or 6 years ago.... but I can't imagine how many new customers we're seeing these days. Any insights?

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
coffee and code
coffee and code
Well, I concur with the above comments regarding Coppermine.

What's amusing is that we have an RFP out right now for someone to take over the management of our computing services including our Forum. One of the first responders, said "Your forum is currently running under a product called UBB. I find it to be very outdated and, frankly, kind of ugly."

Ha!!! Sometimes we don't see ourselves in the mirror, the same way that others do.

---Ignoring Coppermine (or any others), it appears that in spite of all of the UBB upgrades to get to 7.6 that we are woefully behind in offering new or expanded functionality. I don't mean to dredge up this old topic from 4 or 5 or 6 years ago.... but I can't imagine how many new customers we're seeing these days. Any insights?

Whats missing from UBB.threads 7.6.0? Please enlighten us?
Since you care enough to complain, and If you complain about there being a problem, and you dont do anything to improve its conditions, you are being part of the that problem.

As relating to your RFP responder's comment, "I find it to be very outdated and, frankly, kind of ugly." comment, I'm quite sure that comment was directed square at your own personal forums, still running UBB.threads 7.5.8. After looking at your forums, I would have to agree with his comment.

The entire 7.5.x line has not received any major presentation updates beyond what was given to it when it was first released in 2006. If you are running 7.5.x, that comment is most certainly directed at your installed version.

Beyond having the ability to fully customize the display of your forums past the "out of box experience," UBB.threads 7.6.x brings several entirely new styles to compliment its cleaned up interface. It also provides something that has never been offered in the UBB.threads line. Ever. Its Mobile compatible and brings the program up from xHTML Transitional, to HTML5 complaint.

Attached are a few screenshots of your forum main page. Its random and cluttered, and its style looks like it has never been customized since it was first installed over a decade ago. Frankly, it looks like no one has cared to put any time or heart in to its presentation. It looks abandoned. Especially when a stickied post on the first forum in the list is for a post created in 2005, having broken links, or software which has long since been abandoned.
Attachments
20170315_00-16-25.PNG (594.8 KB, 108 downloads)
20170315_00-16-49.PNG (770.28 KB, 110 downloads)
20170315_00-18-52.PNG (411.64 KB, 107 downloads)

Power User
Power User
Well, here goes. My previous posting was NOT intended to be a complaint or anything close to that. If I had significant issues with UBB, I would have moved to another product years ago. We all know about the "black hole" that releases disappeared into for a couple of years. I'm not even thinking about that any more. I'm still here and that should speak for itself.

I'm NOT going to write a huge reply in trying to explain one of the "issues" that I currently see. I thought that a short comment would remind us of it, but apparently it was too brief or nondescript. My bad.
doh

When I said "behind in offering new or expanded functionality" that was shorthand referring to one of many discussions that WE held so many years ago. While the FORUM target appears to have been advanced with version 7.6, I am referring to the OTHER functionality that we don't have. Remember a long time ago when we talked about "our competition" not being the other FORUMS, but that it was now becoming a whole new gang of applications commonly labeled SOCIAL MEDIA? That's some of the functionality that we don't have. While I actually despise Facebook and it's incessant bad behaviors, my client members LOVE the ability to post photos there for sharing. THAT is the kind of functionality that I wish UBB had for "easy deployment". It is a little disappointing that we are still so oriented on text and don't offer a user-friendly way for our users to manage graphics/photos. I have no idea how OTHER forums are doing this and frankly don't care. I have so much invested in UBB that we will stay here. My WISH (not complaint) is that we could add some "functionality" that seems to be attracting some of our users away from our Forum.

Lastly, while I'm glad to hear that version 7.6 is good and loaded with stuff like Mobile viewing -- you have to realize that SOME OF US are following the widely accepted practice of waiting 30 or 60 days for a new version like this to shake out the bugs. I understand your excitement at releasing a LONG-AWAITED product with TONS of changes -- but please don't criticize any of us who conservatively follow a wait-and-see strategy before we roll all of this in. I'd say that a 90 day window would be well-within reason for anyone who has a forum with over 10 years of data in it. (I always upgrade immediately when it is a security-related upgraded. But 7.6 hasn't been advertised as such.) So based upon what I'm seeing posted here, I will probably upgrade a tad sooner (ie. 60 days. So only 30 more to go.) rockon

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Lastly, while I'm glad to hear that version 7.6 is good and loaded with stuff like Mobile viewing -- you have to realize that SOME OF US are following the widely accepted practice of waiting 30 or 60 days for a new version like this to shake out the bugs. I understand your excitement at releasing a LONG-AWAITED product with TONS of changes -- but please don't criticize any of us who conservatively follow a wait-and-see strategy before we roll all of this in. I'd say that a 90 day window would be well-within reason for anyone who has a forum with over 10 years of data in it. (I always upgrade immediately when it is a security-related upgraded. But 7.6 hasn't been advertised as such.) So based upon what I'm seeing posted here, I will probably upgrade a tad sooner (ie. 60 days. So only 30 more to go.)
That's what beta testing phases are for, and live release candidates; a final build should be considered final.

Lurker
Lurker
i updated recently to 7.6.0 and have had no problems, only improved functionability

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63