7.6.0 Progress Report: "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
It's been almost three months since my last 7.6.0 progress report. This is going to be a very long post -- so lets cut to the chase and dive right in to that changelog!Changelog 2015-07-12
• ADDPOST_NEWPOLL1/2/3, POLLMANAGER, VIEWPOLL -Poll manager received a nice update (minor). A few new items were added, such as a progress indication of what step you're currently on when creating a new poll. This progress indication is displayed on the page and in the page's title. Layout updates were minor, but they make reading the entry pages more user friendly.
• AVATAR -All items are spaced proportionally, rather than bunched-up tight. The forward and back arrow buttons are larger and easier to click/tap on.
• EDITPOST, NEWPOST, NEWREPLY, QUICKREPLY -Layout is now mobile friendly and has been reorganized to a more intuitive posting/work-flow order. The post-preview has been moved to the top of the page, and now displays exactly how it would display inline with other posts, just as if the user were to submit their post.
• FILEMANAGER -Layout for this page has also been updated to be mobile friendly. Its also now user-friendly, rather than being a jumbled presentation of options.
• FORUM -This page is now adaptively mobile friendly.
• ICON_SELECT -Table formatting has been removed, in favor of divs with css formatting. The post icons are now spaced proportionally and have an equal line height that should be easier to click/tap on.
• LOGIN -SFS has been removed from the template file, and placed in to the script file.
• NOT_RIGHT_BARE -Cleaned up the layout to better notify the user of the errors that caused them to find this page.
• PORTAL -Minor layout updates related to news icon spacing.
• POST_SIDE -More updates to its mobile friendly layout. "edited-wording" has been moved below the signature, making it difficult for a nefarious user to spoof -- it also gets out of the way of the user's post and returns the reader's attention back to the post content. Slight modifications were made to the display of post buttons depending on the browser's width.
• PRINTTHREAD -This file has been completely rewritten. All display formatting is now done in the template file. Attached images are now shown with the post they are attached to. Printing threads is very important for UBB.threads sites that allow users to print posts with instructional guides or directions to events, etc... with maximum layout space for post content. Images (inlined/hotlinked and attached) are now displayed to not go beyond the width of the printed page. The header shows the post's title and your site's short name. The footer shows your sites full name, and (C) of the current year. Your site names are clickable, in the event that someone linked directly to these printable pages, rather than to their forum page. They are also secure; If a user doesnt have access to the forum page, they also cannot see the printable version of it.
• SHOWFLAT -Added Lightbox, to display attached images.
• STANDARD_TEXT_EDITOR -While working to make the editor mobile friendly, the toolbar was given some much needed attention. The Tool Bar's items have been reordered to a standardized sequence that users of other editors (such as MS Word or Google Docs) will be more familiar with. Added back the Tool Bar's alignment items that were removed in a version of 7.5.x. Their images have been given correct names; centre/justifyfull/left_just/right_just are now align_center/align_justify/align_left/align_right, respectively. The Insert Image button now just inserts an image, without complicating the procedure with additional alignment steps. The buttons are now in common English, and make sense to an average internet user. Removed randomly worded sentences and replaced them with correct Button Text descriptions. For thin browser and mobile devices, the button groups now wrap as needed.
• SUBSCRIPTION/S, _CONFIRMATION, _MAIL -These sections received another display update, to make each subscription group stand out from its peers and flow with the order of the rest of the subscription pages.
• VIEWMESSAGES -The Messages header items are now aligned with floats and no longer user tables, making the "New Private Message" link more pronounced and easier for the user to find.
• ADMIN_ADMINMENU -Fixed a long standing bug from 7.5.x where the wrong "Groups" menu item would highlight when clicked on.
• GROUPMANAGE, MEMBERSEARCH -Page display has been updated and now displays content better.
• LOGIN -A bit more of security enhancements. Thanks again, James Corthell (Gizmo)!
• MULTIPLE -"Submit" buttons are now spaced correctly at the bottom of each section. I'm pretty sure I got them all, this time through.
• EDITSTYLE, STYLES -Styles are now displayed with spaces instead of underscores.
• LOGIN -More adjustments for suhosin input_vars.
• UBBCENTRAL-THEME -Forum icons for the "ubbcentral" theme are now included.
• MARKUP_PANEL -Renamed a few graphics that had been dropped from the "standard_text_editor" tool bar sometime in the 7.5.x series. Though the items were removed from the toolbar, they were never cleaned up in the images directory. They have now been brought back to the tool bar and the images have been given correct names; centre/justifyfull/left_just/right_just are now align_center/align_justify/align_left/align_right, respectively.
• UPGRADE_HEADER -Upgraded to html5 specs.
• STYLES/0 -A blank style.
• STYLES/4 -ubbcentral style received some slight adjustments to set the min-width of the right/left columns to 150px. Its now also using the ubbcentral icon set, rather than the default icon set.
• ALL -Further cleanup of the English language, more Title Cases corrections, and minor formatting refinements.
• EDITFORUMS, MYHOME -"Watched" is now "Followed" - Updated the other related files in a previous progress report. This conversion is complete and all files should reflect this updated wording now.
• EDITPOST -MARK_EDIT has been split. It now describes a check box to toggle display, and MARK_EDIT_RES for entry box to describe reason for the edit. POST_OPTIONS has been removed since its duplicated within GENERIC.
• FAQ -Corrected "Username" to "Display Name" as needed.
• FILEMANAGER -Since the file manager for attachments received a nice update, so did the languages. Items have better explanations and are now written in human readable English.
• NEWPOST -Removed all randomly used trailing periods and colons that were not in NEWREPLY or EDITPOST. Seems that this language file was skipped when attention was given to its related files.
• POLLMANAGER -Since the poll manager also received a nice update (minor), a few new items were added, such as a progress indication of what step you're currently on when creating a new poll.
• SENDPRIVATE -"Buddy List" is now "Friend List" Updated the buttons from sentence presentation to button-language presentation.
• SHOWMEMBERS -"Join Date" is now "Joined"
• SHOWPROFILE -"UBB Buddies" is now "Friends and Followers" Cleaned up a lot of the buttons in prep for an updated Profile page.
• STANDARD_TEXT_EDITOR -Updated about 95% of this file. All language strings are now in common English, and make sense to an average internet user. Removed randomly worded sentences and replaced them with correct Button Text descriptions.
• STOP_FORUM_SPAM -Additional information is given to the user who is presented with a SFS warning/error page.
• GENERIC -Added definitions for suhosin input_vars.
• STOP_FORUM_SPAM -Updated the text presentations. Updated feature definitions. Now includes links for additional information on certain features.
• SUHOSIN -Now includes links of possible issues and some solutions for the Suhosin PHP module.
• MULTIPLE -Further cleanup of the English instructions, more Title Cases, and formatting refinements.
• BBCODE -UBB.threads was attempting to add URL BBCode around the outside of non-acceptable URL protocols. The bug seems to have existed for most of the 7.5.x series of UBB.threads. Corrections were made to the code and now only the three acceptable protocols will be parsed; http, https, and ftp. H/T to "Mark_S" for this bug report! http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/256917#Post256917
• CAPTCHA, HTML, INCLUDEPOLL, MYSQL, UBBTHREADS, USER -Updates for detecting IP addresses for sites using CDNs, and for users on proxies. Huge thanks to James Corthell (Gizmo) for this code!
• HTML -Cleaned up some header presentation html. Added code to display style sheets with spaces, rather than underscores. Removed the 12-character static-wrap and made the Post Icon list dynamic based on browser window width. Upped the graemlin list drop-down within the text editor to display a row of 12, rather than only 8 graemlins per row.
• ADDUSER, LOGIN -Major Stop Forum Spam updates. More thanks to James Corthell (Gizmo)!
• AVATAR -Removed HTML formatting from the PHP script, and placed it within the template file.
• NEWPOST -Removed language related periods and spaces from text strings, and if needed, placed them within the language files.
• PRINTTHREADED -Removed line breaks and other HTML formatting from the PHP script files. All display formatting is now done in the template files. Attached images are now shown with the post they are attached to. Printing threads is very important for UBB.threads sites that allow users to print posts with instructional guides or directions to events, etc... with maximum layout space for post content.
• SHOWFLAT -1.Updates for forums that have upgraded from UBBT6 or other forum software and still depend on the traffic from those links of the previous database. 2. Added server status error codes ("404 Not Found" or "401 Unauthorized") for when content doesn't exist or the link is unauthorized to that user/spider. Also added "noindex, nofollow" robot tags to those 404/401 pages. 3.Removed several bits of HTML formatting and placed them in the template files. 4.Image attachments are now displayed using Lightbox.
• MULTIPLE -Updates for detecting IP addresses for sites using CDNs, and for users on proxies. Huge thanks to James Corthell (Gizmo) for this code!
• ADMIN -BOLD has been removed since its duplicated within COMMON. Further tweaked a bit of the admin pages formatting and colors.
• COMMON -Merged RESET and COMMON. Totally rewrote COMMON. Added an instruction for manually compressing the file, if desired.
• RESET -Removed.
• WRAPPER -The "default" wrapper name has been corrected. "light" and "dark" were the same, and had no color variations -- they have been removed.
• LIGHTBOX -This is new and is required for pleasantly displaying image attachments and galleries to desktop and mobile devices.
I did say it was going to be a long one BONUS: UBB.threads 7.6.0, Preview - Gallery
NOTICE: At the time of this post, UBB.threads 7.6.0 is very much still work in progress. This current code will change several more times before being published to the Members area of http://ubbcentral.com.
This *WORK IN PROGRESS* code is not available for download or purchase. This series of progress reports is being made public to share the development progress on UBB.threads. Items may be pulled from the final release or may be reworked to have a different presentation than what is depicted in this post. This is very much WORK IN PROGRESS and not by any means "final."