Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Power User
Power User
My webintellects account seems to be down more than it's up. Tonight, not only is my VPS server (and web sites) unreachable, but the Host site isn't even working - http://webintellects.com !!!!

They used to be rock solid. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Allen I beleive was having issues with his VPS; I'm not sure if he had moved.

Sue (Adwoff) is being forced off of her VPS to a dedicated server (I didn't really think her site was quite that busy to warrant it)

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I left them a while back, didn't I? smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I think they're just trying to drive business to their dedicated server solutions tipsy

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Power User
Power User
Dang. I moved 5 of my sites to them -- and our national club site a few years ago due to everyone's recommendation.

But... they sure have gone "south" on their reliability. Oh, they still respond to trouble tickets within 20 -30 minutes (on third shift) but they haven't solved many of my issues. I"m still losing email on a daily basis - and have ongoing memory problems that they can't seem to pinpoint.

So-- who's the favorite HOST on everyone's list now?

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
You should consider Google Apps for hosting your email; it's who I use for everything...

AA, who're you using for webhosting now?

Power User
Power User
1. Can I use my domain name there (for email, eg. [email protected]) AND still keep it at the other host where I store my web site (http://mydomain.com) and Forum?

2. Do they add a tagline at the end of the email? I can't afford the $50 per user for Proffesional.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh, I use it for my email on all of my domains, and host my site elsewhere (in fact, I don't think Google Apps has a hosting service, just the apps suite)

And I use their standard/free option, and I get no signatures/taglines... Here, I'll send you an email using their smtp server and you can check it out (look for an email from @virtualnightclub.net)

Power User
Power User
Excellent... exactly the solution that I needed.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh, the Business one charges, but the Standard is free and is what I use... Ive been a member since they allowed you to enter any arbetrary number in as the amount of users you need, I think now they give you like 200 for free on the standard or something...

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
Okay... I need your email advice (everyone!)-----

I have created the standard account with Gmail now... copied my three existing email accounts to them. But it's not working fully...

I think that there are some places that need to be configured. Can you confirm these or suggest others?

1. Modify Domain MX reference. DONE.
2. Change Forum PrimarySettings/AdvancedOptions/ Use Specified SMTP server (to smtp.gmail.com ??)

NOw if the two above are okay, then what about:
3. Is there a setting in the PHP config file that needs to be changed? I've seen a reference to the "default SMTP server".
4. Are there any other settings elsewhere that need to be changed in order to get all of the automatice emails working from the Forum?

A summary of how to use Gmail for email services of the forum would be a great "How To" article.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, your forum settings can jsut use the default socket (in linux/unix) as it doesn't need a valid smtp server to send mail.

though if you do choose to use SMTP to send mail, you have to authenticate to the smtp server (it own't just let you send mail without authenticating to an account); I'm not sure where you'd enter the authentication information, I think it's in one of the files in the libs directory (never used an SMTP server with the UBB)

Power User
Power User
Okay, just made SOME progress.

It turns out that the Domain changes that I made to the MX lists using the Plesk Control Panel, DIDN'T really propagate to the server settings!!! I discovered that last night after I tried for three days to get it to send mail.

So, once I found that, I modified the settings using the Server Admin account (yes, this is Webintellects) and then it started sending me emails from the the webmaster account.

So, I'm almost there. Just killed the SMTP setting in the UBB CP, that I added earlier this week. We'll see if that opens up the rest of the emails that the Forum needs to send.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
Lurker
Lurker
Wish I would have seen this sooner...just moved all my sites to WI. Hope wasn't a bad move.

Power User
Power User
So I've been there (on the VPS) now since October, and since the "outage" in January, it has been stable. If I'm correct, they moved ALL OF THEIR PHYSICAL SERVERS to a new data center in a different building in December/January. The two big hits that I took, occurred AFTER the move to the new building.

I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm still nervous. I have 3 accounts with them and I HOPE that they have come back to normalcy now.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
Lurker
Lurker
I just finished moving to them tonight, made the last couple of edits and then poof. Can't access the VPS. Can't ftp to it, can't gain shell access, all of my sites are down and can't get to their home page either.

Power User
Power User
login at http://webintellects.com and post a ticket marked URGENT. They'll probably restart the container and you'll be back in within 10 or 15 minutes.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
Lurker
Lurker
Bill that is part of the problem. Usually when my VPS is unreachable so is their web site. 10-15 minutes later everything is fine. So far they have told me the number of connections was too low and they increased twice for me. Not sure what they meant and when I replied to the ticket asking I received no response. I found it hard to believe that they would default the number of connections for a solution that could host numerous web sites to 10.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849