Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Yarp™
Yarp™
No PM, no e-mail. Just show "unhandled notifies" in some way above the forum.

At our board I made a hack to do this. Notifies are put in a table, with a "handled or not" flag, and if you are a moderator/admin you get to see in the header the number of unhandled number of notifies.

All 14 of us are global admins/mods, so this saves a lot of e-mail load. We really had a problem when coming home after a day that your e-mail box would be full of notifies and every mod/admin had to wade through all of them to see if they were handled or not.

With this system, our response times to notifies have become significantly faster, none are forgotten anymore in the bulk, and mods/admins are not bothered anymore with notifies that are handled already.
As an added bonus, we also have statistics of who use the notify option the most and maybe use that information to see if somebody would fit in your moderatorteam.

b.t.w., on the example image, it's called a "Fluitje", that's whistle in english, and that's how we call them at our board.

My header also notifies in case of new user registrations, new unapproved posts, new displayname change requests. And new user registrations/display name changes are only shown to the admins that keep themselve busy with that.

This was my reaction to a post on ubb central on using PM's for moderator notifies.

I spend a little this time week translating everything (I was smart enough to do all tables and stuff in dutch) and changed the code that's within ubb.threads to do it ubb.threads style.

The actual code outside ubb.threads that displays the notifications is messy, has one major bug, and needs to be rewritten.

The current system is also just based on global mods/admins. Everybody sees every notify. It does not check if you are admin or moderator of that specific board.

I am planning on a rewrite of this myselve in the near future.

My wishlist:

• Able to handle a notify for yourselve, but leave it open for others (for instance, if you can't handle it, but you know somebody else can)
  • More stuff to be viewed on a post in the notifies script

The version I uploaded here is actually something like version 0.01 alpha that worked so well while using it I never got around to adding the stuff I wanted.

You want to take a look? Then take a look at the attached zip file.
Attachments
2450-notifies.zip (2.97 KB, 51 downloads)
SHA1: c0682c61336986f090f1f980e9104e1b8fe5c406

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
Just wondering if we could see a screencap of this. I'm having a hard time picturing it. smile

Yarp™
Yarp™
Originally Posted by Rose
Just wondering if we could see a screencap of this. I'm having a hard time picturing it. smile

Sure! It basicly puts the moderator notifies you normally get by e-mail out of it in a seperate system.

The screenshot provided shows a bit how the notifies are presented to you if you look at them.

At the top of the forum, there is an alert just for mods/admins to show there is new a notify.
Attachments
2451-notifysample.jpg (68.88 KB, 68 downloads)

Last edited by blaaskaak; 07/22/2007 2:46 PM.
Power User
Power User
Thanks blaaskaak. smile

This looks VERY handy.

Yarp™
Yarp™
Originally Posted by Rose
This looks VERY handy.

Believe me, it is. We've been using it for several months now, and it's been a joy.

I am working on additions now (looking at who is actually mod of the forum) and the ability to individual deletion of alerts like I mentioned in post #1.

I also took my very first babysteps into the smarty template stuff and how to do incorperate everything within the ubb look.

Sponsored Links
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I'm very very interested in this one and would love to see it as stock UBB Threads.

Good work wink

BOOM 7.6.+ rocks....
Yarp™
Yarp™
Originally Posted by Mark_S
Good work wink

Thx! I made a few adjustments here already that are working smoothly here at themepark.nl.

Next up is re-writing the admin/mod side of things, I am trying to integrate it in the control panel and doing stuff with smarty templates. That's new for me so it slows things a little bit down.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
We await with baited breath wink

BOOM 7.6.+ rocks....
Yarp™
Yarp™
Originally Posted by Mark_S
We await with baited breath wink

I am finally getting around to it to port my existing code to the ubb control panel.

[Linked Image]

Yarp™
Yarp™
[Linked Image]

Things are working pretty okay now. It notifies you if topic or messagetext has changed between the notify and now, if it was moved or not etc.

Just one thing now, my big 6 table combining query does not take deleted posts into account, so I have to run around it on some way. Probably split it up again.

For those who asked me when it's done, well, allmost. I am gonna testdrive this version this weeekend on my own board.

Last edited by blaaskaak; 10/05/2007 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849