Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
This is the official entry form for the Content Rules 2007 contest (simply make a response with the information below). For full rules and information on this contest, please see This Announcement.

Some fine points (see rules on the link above for a full list):
1. The contest ends Wedesday, August 15th, 11:59pm CST
2. The contest is open to valid UBB.Threads license holders.
3. Each member can submit up to 2 communities.
4. The contest is open to any forum which has been established for longer than 3 months (as long as it follows the guidelines on the full rules page).
5. Any version may enter, that includes versions prior to UBB.Classic 6.5 and UBB.Threads 6.5.
6. Modded or Stock code are fine! This contest judges your content, not your hacks.

Please form your entry as follows:
1. Site Name and URL.
2. A brief description of what your forums is all about. It's purpose, the type of users you attract, and how long the community has been together.
3. Links to three individual threads that you feel best exemplify your board, at least one of these threads must be at least 1 month old.

Example:
Code
1. ]Site Name[/url
b. ]Thread Name[/url

Note: that we will not be voting on which threads we like best, but the ones that we feel best represent the purpose of your forums and make a positive contribution to your community.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
I was looking for an "Entry Form" but I'm guessing that entering your contest is done by replying to this post and entering the required info? Here goes then:

1. British Car Forum
2. I started BCF in December of 2000 as a resource for lovers of British cars all over the world. Since those early days, BCF has grown to a membership of nearly 8000. We have separate discussion forums for most major marques of British Cars, along with many general purpose forums, including the "Pub" for just shooting the breeze about non-car stuff. We discourage discussions of politics or religion, etc., and that way everyone stays friends. I have received many notes from members over the years stating that BCF is the best forum they have ever belonged to, due mostly to the fact that we don't allow flames or personal attacks and we keep things clean and in good taste. In addition to the discussion forums, I also offer free classifieds for folks who wish to sell or buy British cars or parts. I also have a very active member photo gallery and a "Wiki" knowledge base for car enthusiasts. I also have a section where I show case some great art work done by our members over the years. All in all, we have a very well-rounded site with tons of content, both in the forums as well as other sections of the site. It is difficult to pick just three posts that exemplify the site, so I will pick one technical post, one general car-related post (non technical) and tehn one “shoot the breeze” post from the “Pub” forum.

3. The links that best exemplify my forums are:
a. A technical car post - TR6 Won't Idle
b. New Member from Nova Scotia
c. Musings from "The Pub"

Basil

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Updated my post above for more specific information (that you have to post a response); thanks for pointing it out smile

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Lurker
Lurker
1. Barnegat Fishin' Hole
2. A fisherman's portal for New Jersey Inshore and Offshore waters. A place for local fisherman to exchange information on fishing conditions, ask questions, compare methods and help each other stay abreast of regulations, etc.. This Community was started in May of 2000 and has grown to 860+ users since.
a. Barnegat Bay and Vicinity, Legislative Forum Discus rules and regulations.
b. Artificial Reef Information Status of BFH Reef Fund, discussion of reef fishing and locations.
c. Barnegat Bay and Vicinity, Misc You never know what may show up here!

Power User
Power User

[Linked Image]

My community is generally for fans of Mob films and shows (The Godfather, Scarface, The Sopranos, etc), author Mario Puzo, as well as the Mafia in general. The forum (in UBB format) began in 2001 -- we just celebrated our 6th anniversary with UBB -- and for most of those years, I consciously didn't promote the site, because I felt we were "worth" the find thru my main websites. The forum has attracted an eclectic international membership (male/female, young/old), and most are well-behaved. lol We've even had the pleasure of Mario Puzo's widow, Carol Gino, answering questions about their last book after he died.

The community has been so tight, we've been holding annual in-person weekends with a dozen or so members, many traveling across country, even bringing their families. In addition, many of us in the New York area get together a few times a year for dinner. Many life-long friendships have come out of it. We actually lost a close friend last year who came into our lives directly through our community, as presented below.

The links that best exemplify my forums are:

a. Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations - Author Harlan Lebo ("The Godfather Legacy") recruited my members for some info on his revised book. It was tough to pick one thread about the movie content of all the many in depth discussions that've been held, but I thought this would be the most interesting to non-fans.

b. Greetings from Chicago! - Our first annual get-together in 2004 was a lot of fun! Includes pictures of us with some Sopranos actors, and some great stories if you have the time to go thru it.

c. REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... - A tribute to a dear friend met online who passed away. This really shows the camaraderie

Besides the main content of mob-related entertainment, what I think sets this forum apart from many others are the real-life friendships that have come out of it, so I focused a bit on that. There are plenty of other main-content threads you can explore.

Thanks,

JG

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.3)
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Honorable Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Browser: Firefox 2.0
Sponsored Links
Lurker
Lurker

First Generation Monte Carlo Club

The FGMCC (First Generation Monte Carlo Club) was started in 2000. We are a club dedicated to the love, restoration & preservation of the 1970-1972 Chevy Monte Carlo’s. In June of 2007 we welcomed our 1000th dues paying member to the club since its inception.

Our forums include interior and auto body restoration, engine, transmission, electrical & suspension tech, as well as an extensive for sale/wanted section from our many members. In addition to the message forums, the FGMCC chat room and shout box are a place where many have their morning coffee before starting their day, where they sit and enjoy their lunch and where they stop to visit good friends at the close of the night.

We also have our regional events that allow members to meet up with other members at local cruises and our yearly Club Meets. It is, yet, another way that our members get together and deepen the existing friendships that have been made on-line.

Club members here are a true family. We are quick to share our daily lives that extend past our love for our Monte Carlo’s. We share our projects, our dreams, our highs and our lows. We inspire one another and bring laughter to even the darkest posts. We have a way of cheering one another on without having to talk in person.

The FGMCC is one of a kind. It is not your ordinary online car club or forum. We welcome anyone who loves the first generation Monte Carlo’s – you do not have to own one to be a part of our family. All that is expected is that you treat everyone with respect. It is a place many of us really do call “home” and our door is always open.

The links that best exemplify our forums are:

This thread shows how we support & believe in those that post in our forum:
Need some advice (ok, a lot!)

This thread shows how we inspire one another:
Clock-to-Tach conversion complete

This thread shows how big of a welcome a new user can get:
I hope -I think I have an TRUE '71 SS!!!!!

Capri Blasco

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Great start guys

Lurker
Lurker
[Linked Image]

ConductDisorders.com

This forum is home to a supportive community of parents who are raising challenging children. Our kids have many different diagnoses, but they all are oppositional, defiant and resistant to parenting. This can be a hard road and the support of other parents who have dealt with similar issues can save your sanity. Parents often stumble upon our forum while searching the internet for information to help their child. Faced with the challenges of raising a difficult child they often find themselves feeling helpless, confused, deserted, exhausted, useless and guilty. This site offers a place to share experiences with other parents in similar situations.

The forum started in the mid-90's when a parent, in desperation, reached out to other parents by starting a message board called “A Place for Us.” In 1998 the “A Place for Us” message board combined forces with the ConductDisorders.com website and our current community was formed as “a soft place to land for the battle weary parent.”

These links are typical of the discussions in this forum:
1. From the Special Ed 101 Forum: please give me advice in how to talk school into helping my son
2. From the Early Childhood Zone Forum: Struggling with Decision
3. From the Teens and Substance Abuse Forum: Help! Son arrested today...

Lurker
Lurker
[Linked Image]

jakchat.com: Forums for Indonesia's English-speaking community

Established in 2005, JakChat has developed into an integral part of Indonesia's mostly-foreign English-speaking community, providing support, assistance, advice, and a vital avenue for social networking and enjoyment.

a. Travel warnings

b. Manpower Laws

c. Red Square review

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thank you to everyone who's entered so far, some great forums out there thumbsup

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
m' trying to get a few clients to enter, but they're being picky and complaining that they'll never win... I say anyone can win as this is a content contest vs a popularity contest wink

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
6 sites is a great start everyone; 10 more days to make your entries, so don't wait wink...

Power User
Power User
Mates Up-Over

Mates Up-Over (MUO) was established in 2001. It is an online support community for Australians in America. While this has extended over time to Australian expatriates anywhere in the world, and also to American expatriates in Australia, the majority of members are Australians in America.

The MUO website provides expatriate information, and tools for intra-member email contact and communication; however it is the forum community that is the true heart and soul of the website.

The main aim of the MUO Community is three-fold:

• 1. To provide a safe and empathetic venting place for new Australian expatriates, while at the same time encouraging members toward healthy acceptance of cultural differences, rather than fostering resistance and/or despair.
  • 2. To provide a distinctly Australian community, where Australians can find and form friendships with other Australians in America, and in an environment rich in humor and understanding. Real contact is encouraged by way of get-togethers, community events, and special occasions.
  • 3. To promote valuable assistance and information from more seasoned members for all things of an expatriate nature, from pre-moving advice, to immigration experiences, to post-move coping strategies.
MUO represents a uniquely close community, distinctly Australian culturally, while at the same time a very welcoming and fun-filled atmosphere for any expatriates and their families to join. Members are typically very loyal and fiercely proud of their community, and embrace it as their own.

The following topics demonstrate the success of the community in achieving the above three-fold aims.

• 1. G'Day Everyone - This topic demonstrates several qualities of MUO members. The welcoming attitude, the belief in the philosophy of the website, and the Australian sense of humor.
  • 2. God Bless Us Everyone - This topic is a great summation of the friendships formed via MUO, the real contacts, the community closeness, and as always, the uniquely Australian flavor.
  • 3. Help - From Aus to USA - This topic is typical of the huge amount of posts from Australians and Americans seeking advice and direction from members who have had the experience.

Lurker
Lurker
1. Bowl-Tech - The world wide connection for bowling service.

2. Traces of the game of bowling can be found as far back as 3200 BC. In the 1940’s and 50’s as pin boys started being replaced by Pinsetting equipment the technical age of the industry began. Today’s Pinsetting and scoring equipment has embraced the computer age and with that there was a need for a world wide support community.

In 1997 prior to Bowl-Tech there was no formal means of sharing our technical knowledge or supporting our industry on a global basis. Over the past 10 years Bowl-Tech has been bridging that gap helping service people in their respective facilities bring up the quality of the product being provided to the approximately 95+ million people who enjoy the game every year.

a. The 49 Minute answer from around the world - It took one of our members in Lemans France just 49 minutes to get and answer to a tech question from a member in New Castle, Australia.

b. Sharing technical tips & pictures - Sharing tech tips on a 40+ year old motor for an AMF Pinspotter.

c. The Bowl-Tech family supporting - We have lost a few members over the years, this post really shows the closeness and community of not only technical support but emotional as well.

Mike Wilson
www.bowltech.com

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Thanks for all of the entries folks, just 3 days to get your site in before I close this thread up; if you're interested in giving it a shot, be sure to enter before the 15th!

Lurker
Lurker

[Linked Image]

SimHQ History

Since 1997, SimHQ has existed for one purpose... providing the simulation community with the best articles, news, message boards, and tips to make our common passion more enjoyable. What started out as one man’s personal web site has quickly risen to become the community’s leader for simulation information.

Our 101 current forums span across motorsports, aviation, air combat, land combat, naval combat and the technology required to operate these genres.

SimHQ switched from Classic to Threads 7 early in 2007. At that time, we had the largest known Classic-based board on the web (according to UBB) -- 2.1 million posts and over 28,000 member records -- which gave Rick Baker a nice challenge to convert one of the early Classic adoptees to a Thread 7 site. When the member list was culled to active members, we still retained an amazing 10,000 active member records.

SimHQ is an "old-timer" when it comes to web sites. We'll be celebrating our 10th year of operations this November.

More about SimHQ and it's history is here.

Links

EECH/EEAH
Many of our simulation forums are based on specific titles, and many of those titles are evolving constantly from the tremendous work done by the "modder" community. When Razorworks released the code to EECH/EEAH, they knew it was in good hands with the modders. SimHQ is the premier forum for this sim, and this thread is typical of the unique information found on our site.

Event Photography
The demographics of SimHQ includes many professional and enthusiast photographers. The Event Photography Forum allows our photo bugs to showcase their images, typically of an air show or racing event. David "Top Gun" O'Brien is one of our members who has made a quite good name for himself and his work -- both in our forums and commercially.

"After Action Reports"
Each sim has a "story" to tell, and good storytelling is an important part of our hobby. After Action Reports provide a pictorial and textual history of the military or motorsports event. It provides a first-person "there I was" report. A good AAR captures the event (or mission) and draws in the reader.

Yarp™
Yarp™
[Linked Image]

1. www.themepark.nl
  2. In an interview, the wife of one of the co-founders said: In my eyes they did something really stupid, they payed about 200 dollars for a program and a domain name. They wanted to build a community for themepark enthousiasts to talk about their passion.. Well, the stupid thing that was established in May 2000 grew bigger, and it's still standing strong as the number 1 community of themepark and funfair enthousiasts in the Netherlands. We have our competition, and our forummers do visit them, but somehow almost every one also stays at themepark.nl.
  3. The links that best exemplify our forums are:
    1. Themeparks, funfair attraction owners, and lots of forum members put themepark/funfair related stuff up for auction, and more important, bought stuff at ridiculously high prices for a very worthy cause (vacation home for terminally ill children and their families). This topic, with a few images missing now, is a report of us handing out the money.
    2. Nice thing about having a forum about themeparks where people meet is that we actually meet several times a year. This was our latest gathering, together with other european coaster enthousiasts. Almost 400 coaster enthousiasts met at Moviepark in Germany, with the park treating us to exclusive ride time outside park hours, Q&A with the managers, dinner, breakfast and more.
    3. Why wait with organising a reunion! In less then a year a reunion topic was opened, that said "Let's meet in 2010". It's our oldest active topic.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
mmm, 10 entries has to be a record or something wink... Wonder how many we can get in the last few days wink... 2 days everyone, get in while you can!

Veteran
Veteran
Good luck to everyone who has submitted so far - a few hours to go smile

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yes, hurry and get yours in before the thread gets locked (need to check out what time I need to close this thread)

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Looks like it'll close around 10pm PST... So a little over 5 hours to go

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
All entries are now finalized, as the deadline has hereby passed... Please stand by for the next step in the process wink...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thank you to everyone who's entered thumbsup

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849