Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#314779 07/18/2007 3:42 PM
Lurker
Lurker
I am trying to use phpadmin to import a backup database file into a newly created empty database on my site so I can extract the USERS table and ultimately replace the corrupt one currently on my site. However, the phpadmin in my cpanel appears to have a 51Mb limit on imports and I get an error message.

I was able to upload the file using FTP to my home directory but phpadmin only allows you to browse to a file on your local machine. Does anyone know how I can import the file into the empty database? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Michael
P.S. Rick at Groupee suggested I post here.

Last edited by GreaterSwiss; 07/18/2007 3:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It would be possible with ssh access to add it from there, but if not... then you'll probably have to cut the file into pieces and do it some at a time manually with phpmyadmin.

A good text editor ( www.ultraedit.com ) will be needed to split the table up.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
The PHPMaximum Execution time will kill a large import in PHPMyAdmin; it's to be expected.

If you have SSH access, I have a brief howto on backups here.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Lurker
Lurker
Thanks for the quick response. Pardon my ignorance but what is SSH access and how do I know if I have it? As far as breaking up the file using the text editor, that sounds doable but does phpadmin simply append one piece to the other as you do successive imports in the database? I'm not a database expert but I thought the file had to be contiguous. If not, is the procedure to import the first file then the second and so on. I am not at all familiar with databases, so again... pardon my ignorance.
Michael

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
If you split the file in a text editor like ultraedit you'll see where each line adds a new entry into the database. Just be sure when you split the file to do so with getting the whole line in (don't break the entries on a line apart).

You might ask your host if you have ssh access. You can upload the file then use mysql commands in ssh to add the info into your database. I believe gizzy posted a nice topic at www.ubbcentral.com on how to do this.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Lurker
Lurker
Thanks, Allen! I'll check out ubbcentral for gizzy's post. In the meantime, I've asked my ISP if they will import the file for me and their response is "We have escalated your issue to our admins and will keep you posted as soon as we hear back from them." Hopefully they will have pity on this database-challenged po-boy and help me out.
Michael

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
That post is the one i referanced already wink...

Originally Posted by Gizmo
The PHPMaximum Execution time will kill a large import in PHPMyAdmin; it's to be expected.

If you have SSH access, I have a brief howto on backups here.

If you don't feel comfortable doing such things yourself, you could always hire someone to do them for you (such as myself ;)).

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Lurker
Lurker
Funny you should say that.... I was googling to find someone to do exactly that. How do I contact you offline? (or would you care to contact me offline?)

As far as SSH access is concerned, I don't have it. My upload limit which is stated in phpmyadmin ad 51200Kb is actually only 2Mb. My ISP temporarily opened up the limit to 70Mb to allow me to import the file but as has already been mentioned, it timed out. The one thing I have learned from this experience is that my ISP - whom I have used for over 9 years - is agonizingly rigid in their "hands off" approach to "third party" scripts. Something that, according to several people I've contacted, would be relatively easy to do with direct access to the server has turned into a pain in the butt. Once all this mess is dispensed with, the next project I'll take on is finding a new ISP.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, SSH access would be required should I be of any use; I would need to be able to access the command line tools to load the data into the database; you should ask your webhost if you have SSH access (likely, you assume you do not have it because you have never used it); any linux based webhost would have it, whereas it'd be unlikely if you where on a Windows based webhost.

Go ahead and shoot me off an email to james[at]virtualnightclub[dot]net and we'll discuss options; and possibly I can help you locate a webhost which doesn't have as stick up their... yeh..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63