Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kahuna
Kahuna
on random and not-rare-enough occasion, i will get bursts of like 20-30 "mail delivery error" emails. its horrible, but i get spam everywhere, so i think nothing of it.

however, recently, my host temporarily suspended my account because of reports that i had a script phishing emails. i went through my folders and couldn't see anything blatant, but they persist.

the best we can do to locate the problem is in my boards. i could just delete and clean install, but its a heavily modded beast, and i'd hate to lose all the pretty colors.

any advice or suggestions on how to slay the phish monster?

if it helps, here are some headers of an email supposedly sent from me:

--------------------------
Your account has been suspended for sending out phishing mail and blacklisting
the server.

The following is a sample of such mail.

X-HmXmrOriginalRecipient: [email protected]
X-Message-Status: n:0
X-SID-PRA: [email protected]
X-Message-Info:
txF49lGdW42nHkihnciyRA8dt81i40jVQoEjQRmnHBETj6spJfUCESeFy9SXv0na
Received: from cerebus.lunarpages.com ([209.200.254.239]) by
bay0-mc7-f21.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2668);
Mon, 7 May 2007 09:47:29 -0700
Received: from robkam2 by cerebus.lunarpages.com with local (Exim 4.63)
(envelope-from )
id 1Hl6Mz-0002se-7m
for [email protected]; Mon, 07 May 2007 09:47:29 -0700
To: [email protected]
Subject: Your payment has been sent
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Message-Id:
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 09:47:29 -0700
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any
abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - cerebus.lunarpages.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - hotmail.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [32539 32003] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - cerebus.lunarpages.com
X-Source: /usr/bin/php
X-Source-Args: /usr/bin/php
X-Source-Dir: robkamphausen.com:/public_html/ubbthreads
Return-Path: [email protected]
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 07 May 2007 16:47:29.0277 (UTC)
FILETIME=[66502AD0:01C790C7]

--------------------------

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Rob - still running 6.5? smash

There's old bugs in there for sure that can be exploited in many ways, email phishing probably the least of your worries - at *least* update to 6.5.5 wink

You're gonna need to go through file-by-file and check the files on your site, there were holes that allowed uploading of shell scripts and from there most anything else.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
hey double a

yeah, still 6.5 smile

i've never been brazen enough to upgrade, because of all the effort i put into making that version purdy. but, i guess its gotten to the "have to" point. frown

maybe i'll do like you said, and just go to 6.5.5, or 6.7 -- or something pre 7, anyway. try to get the most out of the product at the level i'm at, without having to rework everything.

its been awhile... does the documentation show you where the upgrades are, from 6.5 to 6.x? i.e; what files i'll have to alter? (i dont want to accidentally write over half of a mod because it was "different" when comparing)

Kahuna
Kahuna
and... actually... i dont know where to get older versions of threads anymore.

even your "UBB.Threads 6.5.5 Released" announcement doesn't work anymore frown

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
6.5.5 is the latest in the threads branch (pre7); it can be found in the UBBCentral.com members area.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
thanks gizmo! thumbsup

guess i gotta renew the ole membership cry

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I say, if it protects the integrity of your site, and your server, it's well worth it wink

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That's an easy 'duh' wink

purdy don't count when you get pwned by a script kiddie fresh outta stuff to do and summer's only 2 days old wink

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I rather like "Purdy doesn't count when some script kiddie puts a mallicious script on your server that nukes your sql database, then removes all data from your webspace" wink

Kahuna
Kahuna
ok, $125 later, and i have my 6.5.5 (membership expired 1-1-05!)

so... any good source for finding out what, exactly, was changed between 6.5 and 6.5.5? to try to make this upgrade as painless as possible?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I use Beyond Compare ( www.scootersoftware.com ) to find out the total differences.

CC was pretty good about noting the differences, check the announcements at ubbcentral for each release. You can also check out the upgrade files and their associated changes.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
heya double a

i have beyond compare (i believe from your recommendation a few years ago!), but so much is modded on my board, it'll pick up [i]every[i] change, and not just the upgrade between 6.5 and 6.5.5

i'll poke around on ubbcentral to see if there's an actual list. looks like most of the discussion, tho, is just about the general changes (i.e; this type) and not an actual list of which files i should be poking around in.

the "upgrade_changes.txt" file is probably what i need, though its unfortunately a little daunting for a jump from 6.5 to 6.5.5.

i wonder if this is all i need?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I would normally have 2 instances of BC open - one to compare un-modified copies of 6.5 to 6.5.5 and another to compare 6.5.5 to my currently used files - those changes in the unmodified versions I would then hop over to the other instance and make the changes there.

You can't really stop with 6.5.4, as a couple more security holes were found by script kiddies that allowed them to upload shell scripts and take over servers - hence 6.5.5 wink

Your problem is gonna be that most files were changed going from 6.5 to 6.5.5, will take you hours to get them all in. If it were me I'd move straight to 7.1.1 and forget trying to save those little bits and pieces. An hour of template work and you can make 7.1.1 look an awful lot like what you are running now.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
i agree

Veteran
Veteran
Yep - jump straight to 7.x and if you need any assistance - just ask smile

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Kahuna
Kahuna
its looking more and more inevitable that i will have to move to 7.x ;(

i have some questions, if you'll entertain them:

• 1) do i download the full 7.1.1 version from the member's area? or do i get the importer from threads 6.5.x?

2) its been awhile since i've put in a new version -- do i clear out my ubbthreads folder first, and just upload all the clean files? ...and does that depend on how you answer question #1?

i'm also interested in the status of some mods/hacks that were popular on my current 6.5 boards. i don't know much about this latest version, so can you help me with this check list and tell me if 7.x offers:

• 1) article hack - it places an alternate "showflat" template in any forum you choose. i use it extensively on my forum blog

2) forum instructions - the ability to add text/images above the threads on postlist.php

3) sig images

4) hidden forums

5) group PMs

6) limit access to forums by post count - wink

bah, my brain is kinda exploding now with general apprehension. if you take a quick gander at my boards, you think much, if not all, of what i've done and added can be brought to life with relative ease in the new world?

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Originally Posted by drkknght
i have some questions, if you'll entertain them

1) do i download the full 7.1.1 version from the member's area? or do i get the importer from threads 6.5.x?
You will want the full (latest) version and the importer; you will need both.

2) its been awhile since i've put in a new version -- do i clear out my ubbthreads folder first, and just upload all the clean files? ...and does that depend on how you answer question #1?
Going from 6.x to 7.x isn't an upgrade; it's a seperate install with an import of your 6.x board; theres an upgrade guide here

RE: Hacks; I don't think any of those are in 7 (as stock or as mods).

Kahuna
Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Going from 6.x to 7.x isn't an upgrade; it's a seperate install with an import of your 6.x board; theres an upgrade guide here

ok, gonna go get started -- thanks!

Originally Posted by Gizmo
RE: Hacks; I don't think any of those are in 7 (as stock or as mods).

bah! cry mad

Kahuna
Kahuna
as if i'm not having a hard enough time...

so, i started the install/import process a few days ago. about 2 hours in to the import, when i was processing thread 36k something out of 44k something, my server host disabled the threads_importer.php file because it caused too much of a CPU drain, or something.

after hours and days of fighting with them, explaining that this is the only way i can update my boards and fix the initial security problem, i finally got back to the process again, today.

i bookmarked the last URL before the file was disabled, so that i didn't have to start the import process from the beginning again. however, about 3 minutes into it this time, it now hangs on a specific thread, and wont go any further.

it gets to Processing topics (38013 - 38032) of 44721 total topics., and the 9th thread on the page, but just sits forever until IE times out.

nothin is working for me!!!!!

any idea what the problem is there, or what i can do to avoid it?

Kahuna
Kahuna
also, and i know i'm only half-way through the process, but now my mysql database has ballooned to twice its original size. and, because my forums are so big, thats an enormous size!

once my new 7.1 boards are up and running, is there anything i can do to remove the 6.5 info from the database, so that it cuts in half again? (or is that something that happens automatically at the end of the upgrade?)

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Ie has its own timeout, just load it in firefox and let it go; FFox has a much MUCH longer timeout than IE.

As for the size, it stores both an "original" and a "formatted" version of every posting; so it will be huge. No way to fix it. It will not go down.

Kahuna
Kahuna
holy crap. wull thats ... pretty disappointing to hear, to say the least.

i finally finished the install of 7.1.1, but this database issue seems like it will cause me all sorts of new problems. i was workin on a huge database before with a 130mb gz backup file. now, its 278mb!

its pretty unbelievable. why were things set up in this new fashion? doesn't it cause issues all over the place?

does the fact that i'm using an all new table prefix (ubbt instead of w3t) mean anything? i mean, is it a scenario where all the w3t portions of my database can be nixed to free up space, or did everything just get converted and ballooned?

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
helps optimize things; rick talked about it at central.

and the table prefix opton doens't matter; the ubb7 default is differant than 6, and i'm using threads_ and ubb_ on mine

Kahuna
Kahuna
ahh, so its not like my old boards are taking up space in w3t, and my new ones are doubling it with all the same threads at ubbt?

just double checking.

i haven't deleted my old boards yet (just copying over the settings, first. might take me another day or so.)

if thats just the way it is, then i still might be in a crapload of trouble. my cpanel lists my MySQL disk space at 1824.37 megabytes. which... is big.

i dont remember off the top of my head what it was prior to 7.1.1, as i only ever really looked at the cron backup file sizes, but i know it was never even close to that.

these message boards are the only thing using my database. its a huge message board, true, but... should it really be taking up that much space?

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
7.x will be double the size of 6.x; as posts are stored twice; all posts, no way around it whatsoever.

BTW, your board isn't huge, talk to Ian, his are huge lol

Kahuna
Kahuna
man, that is nutty.

now, after all the trouble getting rid of the old boards to please my server hosts, i'm worried they're gonna come after me for having too large of a database! (never got so close to 2GB before!)

on a side note, i gotta admit i'm pretty impressed that the GZ can compress the database backup that much! 1.8 gb to less than 300 mb is amazing!

other than literally deleting threads/members, is there anything else you can think of that i can do to sorta ease the burden of the beast a bit?

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Other than begging Rick for some sort of flatfile archiving system (like i've been trying for a while)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63