Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Power User
Power User
Another of my simple little mods that saves me some time, thought I'd share. I occasionally have a small group of troublemakers attempting to sign back up under aliases, so I have my forum set up to require admin approval of new registrations. If a new person awaiting approval looks suspicious I like to check out the geolocation or ARIN whois of their IP, send them an email asking for more info or Google their email address. This adds those options to the Registration Queue tab under member manage in the admin interface. If anyone knows of a better IP geolocator that lets you pass the IP in a query in the URL, lemme know.

Files modified: templates/default/admin/membermanage.tmpl
Find this (around line 318):
Code

<br />{$que[$i]['uname']}<br />{$que[$i]['email']}<br />{$que[$i]['ip']}

Replace with this:
Code
<!-- hack for more info on incoming users-->
<br />{$que[$i]['uname']}<br /><a href="mailto:{$que[$i]['email']}">{$que[$i]['email']}</a> (<a href="http://www.google.com/search?q={$que[$i]['email']}" target="_blank">Google Email Addy</a>)<br />
<a href="http://www.rleeden.no-ip.com/geotool.php?ip={$que[$i]['ip']}" target="_blank">{$que[$i]['ip']}</a> (<a href="http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput={$que[$i]['ip']}" target="_blank">ARIN IP Whois</a>) (<a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$que[$i]['ip']}" target="_blank">Domain Tools IP info</a>)

I always comment these things as "hacks", I don't know if I should call them "hacks" or "mods", but in any case, there ya go.

PS: I just realized that Gizmo has a similar thing to link IP addresses next to a person's post in showflat. I added a link to his domaintools info page, too.

Last edited by Calpy; 03/18/2007 7:30 PM. Reason: Updated for Gizmo's code
Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
hehe was about to comment on the last line before it poped up; what exactly do you want via ip triangulation? I have a boatload of services...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
thank you for sharing thumbsup

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Power User
Power User
Well, luckily my most problematic forum stalkers live in out-of-the-way cities, so a quick view of a sock-puppet's IP location usually tells me who it is. I also just like to keep track of trouble makers using various metrics in case they develop into problems later.

If you ever have a moment, maybe posting a list of useful info gathering sites like that would be helpful. Maybe I'll add in my own and code them all into a crazy little "info overload" css-controlled popup div for admins who want to be able to dig up lots of info on troublemakers with the push of a button.

Power User
Power User
By the way, for me in Firefox it only shows the first two lines of the code, unless I click-drag downward inside the two-line-high "code" box. The full thing is:
Replace with:

{$que[$i]['uname']}
{$que[$i]['email']} (Google Email Addy)

{$que[$i]['ip']} (ARIN IP Whois) (Domain Tools IP info)

Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, i also code utilities as well; i have an ip triangulation tool i've been working on for a while; and several others lol, hence my asking what exactly you wanted wink...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Lurker
Lurker
That sounds clever. I have never considered running geolocation or whois on registration page.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849