Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#312815 01/20/2007 12:07 AM
Power User
Power User
Has anyone worked on integrating a "membership database" to Threads? I'm looking at something that could be used for online updating of member data for approximately 8,000 members. Initially only looking for simple reports and mailing labels.

Is there an off-the-shelf package that gets good ratings for doing this? And is there a hosting company that anyone recommends? Lastly are any developers here engaged in this type of support already?

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Hosting I push on vps' for larger sites; and generally recommend:
www.webintellects.com
www.powervps.com

As for integration, ian just published an addon which allows admins to code scripts to read the cookies and member data.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Power User
Power User
So, I've already hosted my Threads site at webintellects. What I'm looking for now is information on any "turn key packages" that might be available.... or anyone who does this for a living (full or part time).

My needs are to add a "membership" database for online access of limited member data in order to produce mailing labels and reports.

Ideally I'd like to also link this to the Threads database in order to manage the two user accounts together.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmm.. so basically you are wanting to make mailing labels off the threads member data. The location info would need to be worked out and people would need to use their real names in one of the fields unless you would be ok with mailing "Gizmo" or "drkknight" smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I like mail :nod:

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I sat here thinking about this; what you COULD do...

Enforce users to set 3 of the custom profile boxes:
Box1: Real Name
Box2: Address
Box3: City, State, Zip

Then hack those boxes out of the showprofile screen so random users can't view them...

Now you have your mailing list data merged with threads, whammo! :x

Power User
Power User
What if you had a second MySQL db running and loaded it with the real users names and addresses, and then included a field which matched the USER NUMBER to the one in the Threads db. That would "link" the records together.

But actually I want it to work in reverse, where I add a flag (eg. Paid up member="yes") to the user db, and then when they logged into Threads, it would authorized them depending upon the state of the paid-up member status.

So.. would two databases be a good way to go?

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBB 7.2 will include "some sort of" a paid membership option utilizing PayPal (iirc from rick's stating at ubbcentral); but if you're wanting to go the route i'd go with a seperate table indicating new information (no real reason to utilize a second database) then you could just link/join things; however it'd be integrating those options into UBB.T which would be your hurtle, pulling data from the UBB.T databases to a 3rd party script would be easy.

Power User
Power User
Thanks. I appreciate your comments.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
Power User
Power User
I'm baaaack!!! :-)

We have the second database (membership) up and running now. All of these 8,000 accounts are valid members. After they log in to the membership database (MySQL) and establish a session variable, how can I easily redirect them to my UBB Threads forum so that they are already logged in?

To complicate this a bit more, they are in two different domains.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849