Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
In .T7 we have the option of having it so the admins (or admins and mods) can see the IP address of a user; through a feature request of Joe Siegler I pieced together a quick modification that will link the displayed IP Address of the user to the address whois on Domain Tools which will provide the admin (or mod) to view where the IP is located, who the ISP is, if its blacklisted, and show what the reverse address search is...

For 7.3+ please see this modification.

There isn't really a demo (as you can't see ip's on my site unless you're an admin/mod), but you can see how the DomainTools.com IP listing looks here.

Posts View:
In scripts/showflat.inc.php:
Find:
Code
		if ( ($config['SHOW_POSTER_IP'] == 1) && $IP) {
$postrow[$i]['IP'] = "($IP)";
}

elseif ( ($config['SHOW_POSTER_IP'] == 2) && ( ($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == "Administrator") || ($ismod=='yes') ) && ($IP) ) {
}
elseif ( ($config['SHOW_POSTER_IP'] == 3) && ($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == "Administrator") && ($IP) ) {
}
else {
$postrow[$i]['IP'] = "";
}

Replace With:
Code
$postrow[$i]['IP'] = "$IP";
}

elseif ( ($config['SHOW_POSTER_IP'] == 2) && ( ($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == "Administrator") || ($ismod=='yes') ) && ($IP) ) {
}
elseif ( ($config['SHOW_POSTER_IP'] == 3) && ($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == "Administrator") && ($IP) ) {
}
else {
$postrow[$i]['IP'] = "";
}

In scripts/showthreaded.inc.php:
Find:
Code
$IP = "($IP)";
}
elseif ( ($config['SHOW_POSTER_IP'] == 2) && ( ($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == "Administrator") || ($ismod == 'yes') ) && ($IP) ) {
$IP = "($IP)";
}
$IP = "($IP)";
}
else {
$IP = "";
}

Replace With:
Code
$IP = "$IP";
}
elseif ( ($config['SHOW_POSTER_IP'] == 2) && ( ($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == "Administrator") || ($ismod == 'yes') ) && ($IP) ) {
$IP = "$IP";
}
$IP = "$IP";
}
else {
$IP = "";
}

In templates/showflat.tpl:
Find:
Code
{if $postrow[post].IP}
<br />
<i>{$postrow[post].IP}</i>
{/if}

Replace With:
Code
{if $postrow[post].IP}
<br />
<i>(<a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$postrow[post].IP}" target="_blank">{$postrow[post].IP}</a>)</i>
{/if}

In templates/showthreaded.tpl:
Find:
Code
{if $IP}
<br />
<i>{$IP}</i>
{/if}

Replace With:
Code
{if $IP}
<br />
<i>(<a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$postrow[post].IP}" target="_blank">{$postrow[post].IP}</a>)</i>
{/if}

Who's Online:
In templates/online.tpl:
Find:
Code
{$regrow[user].IP}

Replace With:
Code
(<a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$regrow[user].IP}" target="_blank">{$regrow[user].IP}</a>)

Find:
Code
{$anonrow[user].IP}

Replace With:
Code
(<a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$anonrow[user].IP}" target="_blank">{$anonrow[user].IP}</a>)

Find:
Code
{$botrow[user].IP}

Replace With:
Code
(<a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$botrow[user].IP}" target="_blank">{$botrow[user].IP}</a>)

Admin User View:
In templates/default/admin/showuser.tmpl:
Find:
Code
$regip

Replace With:
Code
(<a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/$regip" target="_blank">$regip</a>)

Find:
Code
$lastpostip

Replace With:
Code
(<a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/$lastpostip" target="_blank">$lastpostip</a>)

You can change the search engine you use (should you have one you prefer, such as the one at www.dollardns.net which is the original one I tested this on) you can just edit the domain line in /templates/showflat.tpl and /templates/showthreaded.tpl

7.2 Notice: If installing in 7.2, apply the showflat/showthreaded steps to post_side.tpl and post_top.tpl

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
Gizmo #311950 11/11/2006 10:29 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Nice, thank you Gizzy smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yes, I made a use for the ip listing lol... it just seemed so lonely sitting there as a number, i wanted the ability to click it lol...

I should put a blank location in the link code...

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
there, updated the code block to add in a target location of a blank window; if you don't want it to go to a blank window, simply remove the target="_blank" from the link code in the last step.

Power User
Power User
I wonder how this will work with the new online features being added with version 7.1? I haven't installed any real hacks yet and this would be one of the first ones along with several others that I would place in the "must haves" category.

Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
'eh I'll make something compatable when the time comes (should it not be compatable), even if i have to add that magnifying glass icon with a link for the ip information wink...

Power User
Power User

Here are some additions to Gizzy's mod (you need to implement his first before adding these):

TO HYPERLINK IP ADDRESSES IN ADMIN VIEW OF A USER'S PROFILE

EDIT: /templates/default/admin/showuser.tmpl

On or near Line 88:

CHANGE:
Code

$regdate - $regip
TO:
Code

$regdate - <a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/$regip" target="_blank">$regip</a>

AND on or near Line 96:

CHANGE:
Code

$lastpost - $lastpostip
TO:
Code

$lastpost - <a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/$lastpostip" target="_blank">$lastpostip</a>

TO HYPERLINK IP ADDRESSES IN WHO'S ONLINE

EDIT: /templates/default/online.tpl

On or near Line 36:

CHANGE:
Code

<span class="small">{$regrow[user].IP}</span>
TO:
Code

<span class="small"><a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$regrow[user].IP}" target="_blank">{$regrow[user].IP}</a></span>

AND on or near Line 82:

CHANGE:
Code

{$anonrow[user].Username}
TO:
Code

<a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$anonrow[user].Username}" target="_blank">{$anonrow[user].Username}</a>

/jg

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.3)
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Honorable Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Browser: Firefox 2.0
Lurker
Lurker
I am not sure I understand, gizmo's code in find is the same as window to replace?

and i can't see the code in the last window from another post.

Ohton #312910 01/25/2007 12:49 PM
Power User
Power User
I got it to work by editing in `showflat.inc.php` and `showflat.tpl` but couldn't find the same code in `showthreaded.inc.php` or `showthreaded.tpl` (no biggie for me as I view in `flat` not `thread`).

Would love to add jgeoff`s additions but can't see the altered code either.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh some files changed; i'll update this over the weekend

Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Updated initial post with changes in 7.1 (for 7.0 users, simply ignore the search engines section of online.tpl). Also incorporated jgeoff's additions.

Power User
Power User

Giz, what would these be changed to in membersearch.tmpl?
Code

<i>{$ubbt_lang['LAST_IP']}</i>   {$result[$i]['lastpostip']}

<i>{$ubbt_lang['REG_IP']}</i>   {$result[$i]['regip']}
I'm afraid to play with those for some reason... laugh

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
In membersearch.tmpl
Find:
Code
<i>{$ubbt_lang['LAST_IP']}</i>   {$result[$i]['lastpostip']}

And:
Code
<i>{$ubbt_lang['REG_IP']}</i>   {$result[$i]['regip']}

Replace with:
Code
<i>{$ubbt_lang['LAST_IP']}</i>   <a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$result[$i]['lastpostip']}" target="_blank">{$result[$i]['lastpostip']}</a>

And:
Code
<i>{$ubbt_lang['REG_IP']}</i>   <a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$result[$i]['regip']}" target="_blank">{$result[$i]['regip']}</a>

Power User
Power User

Not so bad... great, thanks! cool

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Lurker
Lurker
DomainTools have nice API which could be connected with this feature. Altough, they have some limitation. After certain number of queries you have to start paying frown

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
It'd be ok as a seperate modification; this one allows users to use any number of free services that are readily available.

Gizmo #314749 07/16/2007 10:06 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Updated initial post with:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
7.2 Notice: If installing in 7.2, apply the showflat/showthreaded steps to post_side.tpl and post_top.tpl

Hi, not sure how to include Moderators in the ability to lookup IP info.

( ($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == "Administrator")

Not super proficient with PHP so I don't know the proper method to specify more than one membership level.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Going to drop the beginning ( from your post and work only with the "guts".

As this allows only the admin:
($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == "Administrator")

This SHOULD allow both an admin and a mod.
(($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == "Administrator") || ($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == "Moderator"))

Thanks Gizmo, that did the trick!

Power User
Power User
I'm very confused. Giz, is your first script up-to-date with all the changes in the rest of the thread?

Thanks, I'd like to apply this mod. smile

Originally Posted by Rose
I'm very confused. Giz, is your first script up-to-date with all the changes in the rest of the thread?

Thanks, I'd like to apply this mod. smile

Hi Rose,

I took Gizmo's online "how to" and updated it for v7.2 and put it into an attachment. Also incorporated the Admin/Mod update he helped me with the other night. Just take a look at the attachment, it is commented for that section. As is it will allow both Admins and Mod's to view IP details.

[Gizmo, Mod's... feel free to relocate this attachment to the inital post if you wish]

Attachments
2453-AdminIPInfo7.2.txt (5.52 KB, 23 downloads)
SHA1: 3d06f509f9060f9e2cfe7970f09c2f97c5f64992

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
It shouldn't be too much differant in 7.2; granted the showflat/showthreaded steps apply elsewhere, but i commented on that in the original post... I'm not sure what all would be differant; it's honestly just looking for the ip areas, I applied this on my sites but i'm not sure how much of the "how to" i actually followed in 7.2...

Originally Posted by Gizmo
It shouldn't be too much differant in 7.2; granted the showflat/showthreaded steps apply elsewhere, but i commented on that in the original post... I'm not sure what all would be differant; it's honestly just looking for the ip areas, I applied this on my sites but i'm not sure how much of the "how to" i actually followed in 7.2...

Just minor things, like path to the template files (added the /default/ path) removing the reference to showthreaded since it dosesn't exist (at least on my v7.2 installation) and included the blurb on Admin & Mod permissions.

I like having the mod's in a text file as well since I can store that information for future reference.

Power User
Power User
Thanks Mike and Gizmo! smile

Lurker
Lurker
This is very nice, and is something I wish was included in the standard code. We always check a new members IP# (and their email address via Google) to see what info turns up before we approve them.

Do you know if it is possible to do this with some other DNS sites? For instance the site http://www.ipligence.com/geolocation/# is sort of nice because it provides a map of the location (as do several other sites). But it looks like the IP# info is generated once you enter the number in their form and submit it. Is there anyway to do that with something like what the modifications listed here?

Mark

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
So long as they allow input via the URL youc an use anyone; simply change the default url in your install.

Lurker
Lurker
Thanks for responding Gizmo. I think the problem is that they don't allow input via the URL. Most of these sites return the IP informtion for the person who is accessing the page. So in the case of ipligence.come (and several others)if I put their URL in then when an Admin clicks on a users IP# they get information about themselves instead of info for the user.

The sites are set up with a form where you have to type in the ip# you want info on if you are not inquiring about your own IP. I don't know if it is possible to setup a URL which will pass the ip number to the form and submit it? That is what I was hoping was possible, but I suspect it is not.

Not a big deal, but the tie in to Google maps is helpful to get a sense of where they are.

Anyway, thanks again,
Mark

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, it'd be a little more involved than that... Those which allow input via URL use the GET input, wheres others use POST which would require them allowing outside input in the first place...

Power User
Power User

JEEZ! The delete time is pretty short here, no? tipsy
(I mistakingly posted this under 7.0-7.2 rather than 7.3)

My linked IP addresses are no longer working because they come through as being enclosed in parentheses and -- while it used to work just fine for domaintools.com, they no longer do.

Am I missing something here that causes IPs to be enclosed in parentheses? I've been away from this code for so long -- did I put the parentheses somewhere else? lol

in my post_side.tpl

Code

{if $postrow[post].IP}
<br />
<i><a href="http://whois.domaintools.com/{$postrow[post].IP}" target="_blank">{$postrow[post].IP}</a></i>
{/if}

My results now turned up malformed, despite them working fine recently (with parentheses; domaintools didn't care before):

http://whois.domaintools.com/(206.16.96.32)

Last edited by jgeoff; 03/17/2009 4:02 PM.

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
The initial steps in the main page should have nuked the parenthases in the first place... (in fact, thats all the script page update does)

Last edited by Gizmo; 03/17/2009 5:29 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849