Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#311012 08/02/2006 10:45 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I've been doing some reading recently on the Zend Framework . I imagine it will be the default in a year or so as the framework matures and more hosts move to php5. I've found a nice tutorial on IBM's site:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-php-zend1/index.html

It's in 9 parts (the first 5 are online so far) and it goes through the basics of setting up a zend framework environment all the way through the MVC model (Model View Controller), and building an example app.

For those who want to learn what's coming in the next few years, some time spent on the zend framework won't be wasted smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
AllenAyres #311014 08/02/2006 10:54 AM
Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
Cool. Looks like an interesting read. Something to do at work today. smile

Bookie #311017 08/02/2006 2:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I swear I posted something on this a few months ago. Maybe I'm losing it.

I'm hoping to do a PHP + i5/OS + Zend Framework and impress the new company. Finally, I'll get a chance to put my ZCE to use smile

Ron M #311018 08/02/2006 3:02 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I remember you posting a link to a video on the beta site a few months back smile I'd like to see your app when you get some work done on it - I am considering something similar soon, except it will be zend framework/pdo/smarty - I'll be looking for beta testers, so everyone update to php5+ please smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
I took a brief look at Zend Framework a few weeks ago, for a project I need to implement for a friend. It is not production ready yet (it even stated that in a few places, one of whcih may have been at the zend framework site itself) so for now I cannot use it.

I've been taking a look at Symfony and so far am impressed by what I see. But, I haven't done any real development in it yet, and I'm a little concerned about some of the database pieces (using Propel) and how joins will work with lookup tables. When I get some time to actually try it, I'll post my findings.

"Annnnnnnndd now, opening for Iron Maiden...... WYLD STALLYNS!!!" --Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted "Theodore " Logan
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
please do so smile

www.cakephp.org is supposed to be a good one, tho I think zend may be more forward-looking. I imagine it will be winter before it starts to really take hold smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
Cake is another popular one, and I did look briefly at it, just by reading through their docs. It looked decent, but something struck me as being a little 'messy' though i couldn't put my finger on it.

Also, I hear performance could be a little lacking with Cake, but I can't substantiate that, and where I got it from. Symfony has some issues too, because of Propel, but that's being worked on (AFAIK).

Zend will probably be very good. The problem is, I'll bet it's at least a year until it's stable enough to be used in production. Symfony is not at 1.0 either, but it's currently far more mature and complete, and has gotten some rave reviews (though there sure are a lot of YAML files for configuration...).

"Annnnnnnndd now, opening for Iron Maiden...... WYLD STALLYNS!!!" --Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted "Theodore " Logan
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, you may be right about zend. They are a month or so behind on their roadmap to version one:

http://framework.zend.com/issues/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10000&subset=-1 - right now they're at 27 of 76 issues fixed for version 0.2

I think it'll still be ready to cook by winter tho - what's gonna drag is web hosts moving to php5+, it's only been out a year or so smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
what's gonna drag is web hosts moving to php5+, it's only been out a year or so smile

Longer than that:

Version 5.0.0
13-Jul-2004

It's over 2 years already. Hosts are REALLY dragging their feet on upgrading to php5. A lot are dragging on going to MySQL 5 too, and that's been out 2 years or so as well (5.1 is in beta now)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
They need a big push from consumers who want/need php5. hhmmm...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
A lot of webhosts utilize what is listed as *stable* their their control panel providers (and actually download the builds from them as well).

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Gizmo #311152 08/08/2006 5:44 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
True, but most web hosts haven't updated that software in ages wink I know php5 works on the current versions of plesk and cpanel, it's a matter of rewarding those who stay current (with more business) and punishing those who keep passing the old crap off to us with less business. 2 years is a long time to not update smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Here's a more basic tutorial for those who'd like to start from the beginning:

"The Zend Framework provides clean, stable code, complete with -- and perhaps most importantly -- clean intellectual property rights. PHP is gaining ground in the enterprise space, but if you're a Fortune 500 company, you don't want to take a chance on a module submitted to a repository that may or may not be some other company's intellectual property.

What is Zend Framework, exactly? The Zend Framework:
  • Is based on PHP.
  • Is object-oriented.
  • Uses the MVC paradigm.
  • Has open source contributors.
  • Has contributors who take responsibility for the fact that their code is not the intellectual property of someone else.

"

Understanding the Zend Framework

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
AllenAyres #311590 09/28/2006 10:42 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Well... the progress is of glacial speed, but they're making progress:

http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

48 of 116 issues have been resolved so far for version 0.2 and they've added lots of functionality: http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV/Home

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
AllenAyres #311677 10/11/2006 10:44 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
57 of 134 issues have been resolved eek

Noticed they've moved the release date for 0.2.0 to October 31, 2006 - I'm guessing they are planning an actual release and have a big bugfix push coming in the next couple weeks. smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
AllenAyres #311843 10/30/2006 11:28 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Version 0.2.0 has been released:

http://framework.zend.com/download

LOTS of functionality and bugfixes included thumbsup

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

Version 0.6.0 has been released:

http://framework.zend.com/download

LOTS more functionality and bugfixes included smile

Changelog can be found here:

http://framework.zend.com/changelog

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
AllenAyres #312790 01/19/2007 10:46 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Zend Framework Preview 0.7.0
January 18, 2007
The Zend Framework community has released the 0.7.0 Preview Release. This release showcases the latest developed classes to support Localization (L10N) and Internationalization (I18N). This makes it easy to develop world-class PHP applications. More details:
  • Locale-management component
  • Locale-aware Date parsing and formatting class
  • New translation-management component with gettext support
  • Comprehensive class for working with measurements and conversions
  • New prototype class for filtering and validation parameters
  • New class for managing memory usage in PHP applications
  • Many other improvements in current components such as MVC, Session, Gdata, HTTP Client, Search, XmlRpc, and others
  • Many other enhancements to test suites and documentation.

Download Zend Framework Preview 0.7.0!

The changelog highlights the most significant changes to the Zend Framework.

thumbsup

They've also released version .7 of their Zend Google Data Client - a set of classes that enable PHP 5 applications to run queries and commands using the Google Data API. Looks pretty good smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
AllenAyres #314249 05/29/2007 11:11 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
RC1 has been released and they're at 6 of 6 issues are already fixed in RC2 thumbsup

http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

Lots of issues fixed in the last few months.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Version 1.0 has been released today thumbsup

http://devzone.zend.com/article/2262-Zend-Framework-1.0.0-production-release

I am very proud to announce availability of the first production release of Zend Framework.

Many thanks to the scores of PHP developers who have worked for many months to make this product milestone possible. Zend Framework has followed a mission to provide classes that are extremely simple, yet powerful and extensible. Zend Framework is now the best class library available for PHP 5 web application development.

The Zend Framework project has developed solutions to solve frequent needs of web application developers, including the following areas:
  • Powerful MVC framework
  • Database access solution that balances ORM with efficiency and simplicity
  • Lucene-compatible search engine
  • Advanced I18N support
  • Robust authentication/authorization classes and input filtering
  • Rich web services client interfaces, including Google Data APIs and StrikeIron
  • Many other useful classes to make you as productive as possible
  • Thorough and high-quality test suites and documentation
  • Open-source development process with an active community provides continuous review and testing

The Zend Framework is the best PHP 5 framework to meet modern business needs, being licensed under the New BSD license. The Contributor License Agreement assures that all code has been provided freely.

Zend Framework is already in use in dozens of applications, so it is proven to be production-ready.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
AllenAyres #315001 07/27/2007 11:35 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I found a decent forum the developers hang out at:

http://www.nabble.com/Zend-Framework-f15440.html

The forum script itself kinda reminds me of Matt Wright's work, but the info is good wink

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
holy moley. you are right Allen. you just killed my weekend now, because i started reading one article and it branched out into 2 other places i need to read.

and another .js API that looks sweet..

goodbye Saturday and Sunday!!

sirdude #316811 03/26/2008 12:44 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Zend released version 1.5 recently, lots of new stuff and improvements on the older stuff:
  • Support for OpenID and Microsoft's InfoCard - two emerging technologies behind "Identity 2.0," a movement to simplify and fortify identity management online
  • Forms - New support for forms, including Ajax usage patterns that makes building and using web-based forms much easier
  • Layout and view - New layout support and view enhancements for consistent look and feel throughout PHP applications
  • LDAP authentication - Now with enterprise-ready authentication using LDAP technology
  • Lucene search engine - New advanced queries using wildcards, date ranges, fuzzy searches as well as Lucene index format version 2.1
  • Extended Ajax support - Server-side support for Ajax with action helpers to automate Ajax detection and responses makes programming using JavaScript & PHP much easier
  • UTF-8 character sets in Adobe PDF creation - PDF support enhanced to enable non-Latin character sets such as Kanji, Cyrillic, etc.
  • Google GData web services - Significant enhancements to Google Data services makes it easier to build web applications that leverage the Google application network. New support for upload and write capabilities to Google YouTube

http://framework.zend.com

thumbsup

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849