Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#309627 03/12/2005 11:20 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
moderators... this post might be a bit of a rant, but i think that it might be healthy to have some discussion here regarding the different paths available to current .threads users. if i get moderated, oh well, but i'd really like to hear peoples thoughts. Thanks.
------------------------------------

i'm sure that there are many other bbs admins out there right now who are running through the options in their head... where do i go next with my site's forum software.

after 10 months of sub-par releases, i'm sure there are a few of us here that are not happy with ubb.t and infopop release cycle in general. i personally one of those users.

i've been a faithful infopop customer since 1999. as prompted by the company, we made the migration to .threads a few years back, and things have run smoothly... but the last year has been a rough one. the users of my site have grown weary of the buggy upgrades, and the admin's likewise are growing tired of the poor support, and unpatched security holes going unadressed for months.

so... now we stand at a crossroads, so to speak, in the life of our message board; stand strong with infopop and hope the next generation board provides, and the support makes a turn around... or begin looking for other options.

and indeed, there are many other attractive products out there. i have been watching the exciting developments from Josh and Dave with great interest, and being a hacker at heart, I can't help but be excited about their new product.

likewise there are other many feature rich bbs systems out there, but migration can be a LARGE ordeal.

so, i'm hoping to pick the brains of the threadsdev community for what folks might be doing with their sites over the next few years. what path are you going to take... and what has lead you to that decision.

I must admit i'm a bit sad to see the .threads product come to an end. this site and its users have taught me a bunch about PHP, and programming in general, and its sad to see the once active community slowly wither away.

so before we all part ways and venture down different BBS paths... I'd love to hear where you are heading. and if you have read my entire post; thanks for your time, and thanks for making this ubb.threads community a good one over the past few years.

cheers-
timmy

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
This has weighted heavy on my mind. IF I do indeed switch it may be to FusionBB or vbulletin but if I stay I will be staying with threads 6.5. I don't think I will be going to Infopops next best thing because frankly there is forum software out there already that is proven to work and has the features threads should have had.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I too am disappointed as I have been a loyal threads user. Hearing that they just decided to drop our line and try to convince us to go with the "flavor of the month" just made my heart sink and my stomach turn. I have been beta testing FusionBB and am very impressed so far. So impressed that when it went on sale this week I purchased 2 licenses. One of them being a lifetime license. It is good now. Just think what it will be like in a year. After all, those guys at Fusion care about the users. I have learned in life that when you care about your customers, you don't need to worry about your checkbook. It will take care of itself. It's a shame that some of these "business" people don't understand that simple logic.

User
User
Although I did not firsthand upgrade our current version of UBBThreads (6.5.1), I did sign the approval... mainly based on the support I have received here, not at UBB. This community is by far, the best I have seen for a software product like this.

However, we also considered FusionBB because of our faith in Josh and what he has contributed here (we would have done it now, but was uncertain if Fusion was developed to the level we were accustomed with Threads). I think this time next year, if we anticipate a smooth transition from Threads to Fusion, we will more than likely go that route because it is my belief that Josh and the other developers do really care. And in the community I moderate and administer, trust and dependability is a vital element (this is not to say the people of Infopop/UBBThreads are not supportive... they have been wonderful! Hence, one of our intitial reasons for implementing this product).

I look forward to a long and productive relationship with this and the next like community (i.e. either any unforeseen Threads releases or Fusion).

Ciao!

Helping the lost & lonely one sweet soul at a time...
Excactly chillin, your thoughts keep me busy almost every day! I so much wish the new infopop product will blast all other bbs away, but I know it's just wishfull thinking....

If you see how big other communities as vbulletin and phpbb are at the moment, then you realize that infopop will never be able to catch up with them! The bigger the community, the more people can help eachother and the faster a product grows and the more add-ons, mods and styles are created. Especially the care for the "design" is something that I always missed in .threads. Using the same icons/graphics/stylesheets for more then 5 years now is pretty sad With this new product, I doubt that there will be any big changes. Also fusionbb still looks kinda old-fashioned. If only they could do something about that, I'm 100% sure it would be a great succes!! I'll keep an eye on them.

Right now I thinking about moving to phpbb. I've just installed a version on my site and so far I'm impressed. But before I would make a switch, I'll first wait for infopop and fusionbb. Maybe they'll will still be able to change my mind.

Sponsored Links
User
User
Been a while since I have been here.

I was a loyal supporter of Infopop. I have used Infopop's products since 1999 for sites I have managed, and with my own sites since 2001. I used what was renamed to Classic, switched to Threads, and up until January of this year, I was still using that product. I had been keeping tabs on FBB, was playing in their product beta, and decided it was time for a switch. My site (even though not a large site) was the first live site to switch to using FBB beta. I love it, my members love it, and the support Josh, Dave and others gives is better than I have ever seen from IP.

I made my choice to go to FBB, and it was the right choice for me. If others feel that for them IP's products are for them, that is their deal.

Just my 7 cents (2 cents + 5 cents tax for inflation).

I, too, have been a loyal user of Infopop's products, until now. I started about 3 1/2 years ago using the old UBB software and switched to UBBThreads when it became available. I'd been happy until recently when it seems IP's support has gone down hill. Then, they announced the end of all Threads development and that was the beginning of the end for me. That, along with their seemingly disregard for users input were the 2 biggest reasons for looking elsewhere. I got tired of seeing wanted options being tossed aside by the IP dev group because it wasn't what THEY wanted.

Today, I'm working on converting my Threads forums over to FusionBB after having done beta testing for the past couple of months or so. In fact, I own the #3 license ever issued for FusionBB and along with myself and my team are very excited about the upcoming change.

If Infopop could change their coporate, we are ALWAYS right mentality and start listening more to their users, they might be able to bring their company back around. However, as it is, they are heading down the wrong path by alienating so many loyal users.

However, as Jason said, if their products are doing everything you ask of them, then by all means stick with it, but you might want to look around a bit.

All you want are subforums, right?

Come on everyone, this brings the UBB.classic and UBB.threads communities together. Both Rick and Charles doing development on this product is double strength.

There is always the 1.1 release, where user input becomes greatest concern. I already have many thoughts.

User
User
[]Pink Jazz said:
All you want are subforums, right?[/]

For me it is more than that. FBB is more streamlined. It is easier to structure for my needs. I basically have outgrown what IP offers.

I thank IP for their Classic and Threads products... without them I wouldn't be where I am now with understanding how forums work and such. But, IMO, FBB is a better product overall (look, feel, accessability, customization out of the box, support, etc).

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I would like to thank you the Infopop team for developing such a great product. Namely classic then helping me transition to Threads, where I have been for the last few years. It has been good, there were a few times where I had to transition to different hosts and tech support did help.

And then there were times that I wanted to do this or that. And I have had the aid of many on this site. Thanks Infopop for introducing me to these fine peoples - users hackers and genuinely interested folks. Who do care.

You see, in the last 4 years, I have made 465 posts here and many have gone unanswered or ignored. Some were pie in the sky request for features. Many were pleas for help cause I did something stupid w/ my install. I learn best by seeing an example and when someone voluntarily takes the due diligence to remember that the person you are talking to may not be at the same skill level as you, and adequately explain something, that rates very high in my book.

When the news of thread's demise hit my inbox it gave me moment pause to think of what it truly meant to me from an investment of time energies and finances, not to mention emotional investment. Then I realized what was the key to my success was the professional people who aided me when I needed it the most. (Thanks Josh)

Just about the same time I noticed a shift in the dynamics of this site. It got political to some degree. I for my part only care how it affects me, my site and users. Makes for good water cooler conversations.

It hit me like an 'atomic' reaction - I knew for certain that my continued success would be to make alliances with people who excel in their craft and to truly care and genuinely enjoy working with others and not only request feedback but READ it as well and openly discuss the potential of my little request, that in turn makes me feel great and appreciated and not just member number 9663.

I have been beta testing FusionBB for several months now and in that time have >515 posts and my personal feeling is that I am confident in my switch as I know that it will mean my continued success in my online ad-ventures.

So thanks again Infopop for ending threads.

Sponsored Links
Well, I'm going to see what the new infopop product is like.
I have no plans for changing from threads at the moment.

phpBB I wouldnt touch in a million years as it's basically crap with weak security.

vBulletin i'm already running, but i HATE the admin interface, it's too complicated.

Fusion bb, I think looks too much like threads (ie, dated).

Invision board, I just dont think it's that friendly from a users view.

Yabb, well, I personally wouldn't use a free BB (like phpBB) as I just dont trust them, had my fingers burned in the past.

And that covers most of the competition TBH!

Roll on infopops new product. If it looks modern with good features and is secure, then I'll be sticking with them

Veteran
Veteran
Puts Moderator Hat On

Guys - please try to avoid any slanging matches between the respecting forums. Each one has it strengths and weaknesses.

I am a beta tester for the new product - and no doubt some beta sites will be poping up soon for folks to have a look at. (please note that how soon is soon, I can't tell )

I am quite sure that the new product will attract many new customers - and as the old saying goes 'The grass is not always greener on the other side' (which ever 'side' that might be - UBB-NG, vBulletin, phpBB, Invision, discus, Ikonboard, ezboard, Ideal BB, zeroforum, ASP Playground, Fusetalk, Opentopic, Web Wiz Forums, Lithium, React, IGNBoards, Jive, Snitz, YaBB, SMF, MesDiscussions, Burning Board, CrazyWeb, Novogate, WebCrossing, proboards, XMB, PunBB, discuz, Dvbbs etc.... )

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
The better Ian now puts Moderator hat on...

what he said

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I'm not in any hurry at all to move away from UBB.Threads. I've spent so much time and money getting my site the way I want it, with the twenty-plus modifications, that it would be a HUGE headache to move to a new bb. I don't know if the new UBB would be PhotoPost compatible and FusionBB's galleries don't come close to what PP offers, so I have my hands tied really.

I still have over two years on my license and I'll take my time, just running Threads. I can make a decision on my next bb later, when both FusionBB and the new UBB are on their way towards version 2.0 or so.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I hear ya. I've spent a ton of time and money on mine also. I am the type of guy that likes to upgrade as soon as possible evey time and if I were to stick with threads I couldn't do that any more. I don't like for things to get stale. I'm just wierd I guess. LOL
I figure that if I have to change software anyway I might as well go to something that I am pretty sure won't be dropped at someones whim again. We'll see how it goes.

Infopop appears to have lost the mindshare battle against vB, IPB, and others. Since their new product will combine the features of Classic and Threads, it won't have nearly the same featureset of other forums, and Infopop may be months or years behind catching up.

There is no distinct price advantage for Infopop either, considering the free BBS's and the perpetual licenses (with free upgrades) their competitors offer.

That both Charles and Rick will be working on the new product does provide some hope. Charles always provided excellent support when we ran Classic, but Threads support has been lacking. The well-documented bungling of Threads releases over the past year is also very discouraging. Hopefully the 2 of them can achieve better results.

Subjectively, the communities surrounding competing products are much more vibrant and producing many more mods, skins, and hacks than the UBB communities. I am not trying to denigrate this community, but when I look at all of the sites supporting vB and IPB, it's staggering.

The splinter to FusionBB has personally left a bad taste.

We are going to convert to IPB. It was a tough decision, but what's lacking in Threads and the new product has forced us to go elsewhere (and we can't stand vB).

There is a flaw in the way Infopop is behaving in this next generation product.

I would like to know what features are planned. Why hide that information? Promote the damn thing already.

I found out about FusionBB from chat on the Leoville site and I actually thought it was Infopop's new product.

Well, since it isn't, but it is EXACTLY what I have been looking for, I dove straight in.

I've spent the last couple of days tweaking styles and features of FusionBB and I am so happy with it so far. I can't wait to import my existing UBBT community and start using it for real.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
While I'm sure everyone is happy with whatever choice you have made, this isn't the place to put ads for other forum software - buy an ad if you'd like to advertise

Being that no-one outside the beta testers has even seen the new IP software, it's a little unfair to compare it to most anything else, don't you think?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Journeyman
Journeyman
allen/moderators-
thank you for letting this discussion take place. i don't think any of the posts have been flaming any product. there are obviously some users who are die-hard supporters of certain companies, but that is exactly what i wanted to hear.

i don't think anyone here would discredit any one company's programmers... and i think for the most part, we are all responsible site owners, and for that matter BBS consumers with some of the same 'real world' problems... thats why this forum and this discussion are so very valuable.

i'm personally at this moment leaning towards holding steady with 6.5.1 (fending off sometimes daily complaints from users) and wait to see what infopop.1337/NG has to offer.

I do find it terribly odd that infopop does not have a demo board available for customers, and perspective customers. honestly, there can't be anything terribly ground-breaking in the bbs software world that hasn't been thought of or done. I think they owe it to loyal customers to at least publish a full feature list, and/or post links to sites running the beta. instead i search google for a possible beta site that his been indexed.

i have even gone so far to run some trial months on .eve. I really want to make things work with infopop, but sometimes it just seems very hard to make it work.

re: open source boards. I share the same concerns with them. A site similar to ours was terribly hacked due to their phpBB. Unfortunately it seems that any downloadable bbs that is popular will be combed for security holes. But on that same note, the lack of frequent patches for .threads has really upset me, and my confidence in infopop's business practices.

i'm guessing/hoping that this thread has been forwared along and read by some of the senior management of infopop. and hopefully, these same folks might address their customers and share the vision... this is the internet folks, we have a short attention span... and we, and our users have become acustom to getting what they want, now.

thanks for the feedback all. again, this has been a great community, and IP's .classic and .threads have been stellar products that have both built my online community. I just hope we can keep the streak rolling!

chillin, there are no public beta forums as of right now, but as soon as there is, it will be ianspence.com, as well as a bunch of people's who's urls I can't remember, but have no worries that if I neglected to post their site, they will ASAP

Have no worries about bugs, as I am a beta tester, and a perfectionist

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
[]I do find it terribly odd that infopop does not have a demo board available for customers[/]The current templates use hard-coded colors of red, hot pink and green to test the CSS classes. I assure you that you don't want to see it in that state, as you will want to gouge your eyeballs out with a rusty spoon after getting your first sight.

That and the templates are far from final. We don't have any images either. Actually, I've kind of grown to like it without the images. Whatever...

Yeah, making a decision may well be hard. I realize that the last few Threads releases hardly inspire confidence in our abilities to get things done right in a timely manner.

There's also the whole feature consideration going on... as stated many times before, the 1.0 release won't have much in the way of new features. It borrows the best from both Classic and Threads, so each side will get a few new things... but nothing really, honestly new.

We also will not ever take the "kitchen sink" approach to adding features... so yes, some other products will always have more features, but how many of them do you end up using every day? When we add something, we'd want all of our customers to be able to use it, instead of the vast minority. How often would you use a feature to put one user on everyone's ignore list?

Of course, at the same time, there are things that we know we're missing that we want to get done, like a better way to split topics, topic merging, and other administrative tasks. There's a difference between a speciality one-off feature like the global ignore I mentioned, and something that's of real use to most people, like better thread management tools. (Insert subforum hand-waving here, sorry )

I can't give you a feature list right now, but one will be available when we finally release the blasted thing.

One thing that I can tell you we'll have is optional Groupee integration for existing license holders. I can't imagine that most of you would use that, however, so it's of no use to you.

There's also plenty of really, really cool new things that those that dabble in the code will appreciate... but those will also have to wait.

Everyone should feel free to post any questions about the product here, though I may not be able to answer them.

[]The current templates use hard-coded colors of red, hot pink and green to test the CSS classes. I assure you that you don't want to see it in that state, as you will want to gouge your eyeballs out with a rusty spoon after getting your first sight. [/]

I can confirm this. You should see the forum page [dance]*Hey Pepto Bismol*[/dance]

[]AllenAyres said:
Being that no-one outside the beta testers has even seen the new IP software, it's a little unfair to compare it to most anything else, don't you think? [/]

[]Charles Capps said:
There's also the whole feature consideration going on... as stated many times before, the 1.0 release won't have much in the way of new features. It borrows the best from both Classic and Threads, so each side will get a few new things... but nothing really, honestly new.[/]

Some things that are missing which come to mind:
  • Paid Subrscriptions, with "privileges" based on membership level. Like many folks, we need to monetize our forums.
  • More granular group-based permissions for things such as sigs, avatars, posting pix and to help with the item above.
  • Integrated Gallery (even if the Gallery is extra $$$).
  • Better PM management - ie CC, To: many people, limits based on group.
  • Time-out/time-based ban.
  • Topic preview.
  • Statistics!!!! I hope these find their way back into UBB.New V1.0.

These are out-of-the-box features in other software that come to mind.

If you know something the rest of us don't Allen, do share with the class so we can have a more enlightened discussion. Otherwise we can merge the existing Classic/Threads featurelist and compare that to their competition and make up our own minds.... errrr I meant to say "speculate".

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'm not on the beta team, no time at the present - hopefully things will change in the future, tho

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Addict
Addict
Another URL to keep your eyes on is http://www.drumsets.org - as it will be running a beta of the new Infopop BBS once they release it to us testers.

Hi,

"Some things that are missing which come to mind:"

Wow, that sounds pretty much exactly like what I would like to see.

One thing that I have been wondering while reading this (great! btw) discussion are some of the comments with regards to the product looking outdated. Does anybody have examples of those more 'modern' boards.

As for us, we haven't really decided what to do yet. I guess we'll sit back and watch for a while longer.

Sanuk!

Journeyman
Journeyman
Charles-
Thanks for your response. I can imagine it must be a turbulent and probably frustrating time for IP to deal with this change, and I hope the hard work pays off with a great product.

And I hope that you have passed along this thread to others internally at IP so they can see some of the furstrations customers are having with communication/lack thereof when it comes to the lifecycle of a product that is the lifeblood of our sites.

Looking forward to seeing the new rig!

-t

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I hate to shoot you down so quickly, buuuuuut...

Paid subscriptions & group based permissions are both things that we want to do someday, but they won't be in 1.0. They're near the top of the 1.1 wishlist though.

An integrated gallery is unlikely in the future. We want to keep the focus on the board.

We're moving PMs to a topic-like format instead of the standalone format Threads uses. As this will change the way you use PMs, suggestions should wait in that realm.

Time based bans are unlikely due to needing some sort of cron process. This would be something best left to an addon.

Topic preview? What is that, exactly? We'll have post previews, if that's what you mean.

Statistics... yes, the Threads stats are sorely missed by many. I have some cool stats things lined up, but I don't know if we'll have time for them in 1.0. At at minimum, you'll be getting posts/day per forum, members/week, and some pageview/cache hit info.

In regards to feedback to management... the flow is me + Rick -> Dave -> Ted. They've long been aware aware of pretty much all of the concerns brought up here.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
I've really been wondering if this product would have a portal main page drawing from the forums as it's source.

I see a site like www.ianspence.com that is modified to have a portal news page and I wonder how much effort goes into modifying a product and eventually a new product to suit the needs of a site.

Paid Subrscriptions, with "privileges" based on membership level. Like many folks, we need to monetize our forums.

This is so very important for features that can easily be abused, like file attachments or a gallery. Even something as simple as the ability to upload your own avatar could be a bonus for a $5 paypal donation. To use features of a forum as incentive to donate to help with site fees would make justifying asking for donations much easier

the portal I have wasn't hard to write, and will probably be a lot easier to write when the forums are in PHP as well

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
>Time based bans are unlikely due to needing some sort of cron process.

There is no need to put the time based bans on a cron, look at this implementation:
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/121444

Old Hand
Old Hand
Yup Anno.. I am using that for my penalty Box mod

I just found this thread, and appreciate everyone's input, Threads lovers and frustrated license holders alike...

It gives me quite a bit MORE to debate with myself.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
So has anyone seen this misterious new generation UBB7 whatever product? Does it have post tracking that actually works or is the whole talk about a new product just talk and they in fact are just going to sell us UBBThreads 6.6 as something revolutionary new??

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hehe, I haven't seen it but I know it's being re-written from the ground-up. The beta team has seen it, tho they have NDA's to keep them from saying anything yet.

Charles has been seriously ill for most of this month, which is why there hasn't been much news on the new software, he's just recently been able to go back to work.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I do feel bad for Charles, I have always liked him and Rick, and appreciate everything they have done on the good ole products.

In terms of Infopoopee, I have zero faith. To quote an old NBC show, they are like the Big Giant Head. Whole bunch of talk, fair amount of bluster, and much ado about nothing.

On a related yet sad note - I am liking what vB has done with their 3.5 release. It is not public yet and is due to have some bugs, but their AJAX integration and the fact that they DID FIX their post tracking issues...is very nice.

And of course FusionBB continues to look good for a 1.0 release.

Both in my mind are viable replacements for UBBThreads when it comes time...

Can't reach [censored] for two days now...
Anything wrong?

Not sure my friend - it is coming up for me ok.

Hmmm, that's weird. I have no problem accessing this board or ubbcentral... just fusionbb

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I switched to VB because I didn't like the "no subforums" stance they took with ubbt, and then on top of that the switch/merge of the new products that was suppossed to be happening.

I had quite a few licenses and had spent thousands on hacks/mods/coders, but I wasn't willing to remain loyal because I felt like the community wanted something that ubbt's creators weren't willing to let them have.

The customer knows best.

I think they have finally started to realize that they made a mistake.

They lost me. I know a few other people who left for similar reasons. I have no idea what the majority of ubb/ubbt users feel so I can only speak for myself.

I keep tabs on ubbt, just to see what they'll do. So far, it doesn't appear that they have made much progress...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63