Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
So since we are on the topic of licenses, what are the names?

Someone tossed out a "gold" license - no idea what that is.

I have a legacy WWWThreads license - does that have a spiffier name?

Just curious now.

Sub-forums would be awful cool...but I actually care more about keeping most of what we DO have intact - ie the calendar and its functionality (which could be expanded), the thread tracking, statistics expansion, etc.

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Ooooooh. Gee, never have been to that page since I sorta had a license (go figure it was easy for me to find if I looked).

Note that none of these images are official, and are only my ideas of what Infopop should consider.

These image ideas are based on my former ideas for UBB.threads 7.0, but modified to keep UBB.classic users happy. Note that I also removed the subforums from my forum index idea.

Will there be a built in way of managing attachments? I ask because I have spent a lot of time and money integrating mods into my current 6.4.x version. At this point the thought of upgrading is simply out of the question without a major overhaul in reinstalling all these custom mods. This would be great to see integrated into the new software.

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
Here is some architecture-level suggestion for your new system :

You should build a scalable architecture , that is able to connect with other system.
Take me for example , I firstly used your WWWT -> UBBT , and when my community grew up , I want to induct other 3rd-party or custom web-applications (I am a java programmer) . But I want the same user-base , so , I have to dig into your database structure and session/cookie authentication mechanism. This is time-consuming.

If your new system includes [:"red"]"WebServices authentication and authorization interface"[/] or use of LDAP authentication , that admins can easily integrate your new forum with other systems , I think that will be a big appeal for the other world (Java/ASP.NET developers ...etc)

Just my 2 cents.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
[]Will there be a built in way of managing attachments?[/]Can you define "managing attachments," please? What exact tools are you looking for?

Note that the overall feature set for the initial release is frozen, so any suggestions would likely wait until later releases, unless we were planning to do them already.

Re: membership integration... hopefully everyone will find the new database layout to be much easier to splice into existing systems / splice existing systems into. Dunno about API calls or web services... web services would almost surely require XML built in to PHP (at least for SOAP an XML-RPC), which unfortunately still isn't always the case.

We are aware that membership integration is an important thing, though.

Last edited by Charles Capps; 08/05/2004 12:36 PM.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
[]Charles Capps said:
[]Will there be a built in way of managing attachments?[/]Can you define "managing attachments," please? What exact tools are you looking for?

Note that the overall feature set for the initial release is frozen, so any suggestions would likely wait until later releases, unless we were planning to do them already.
[/]

Sure, the ability to manage users attachments from an admin panel; Allow attachments in specific forums only, set limits on a per group basis, view a users attachment totals and be able to remove certain attachments if you choose from the admin panel. These are just a few things off the top of my head.

Veteran
Veteran
[]Anno said:
>Why does it seem that infopop is afraid of subforums/subcats?

Yes, why is it?

vbulletin can do it.
invision can do it.

infopop can't? Look at their code people, it's not THAT hard [/]

Maybe becuase we just don't like the idea? Just because something can be added to the code doesn't mean we're going to. We're not going to throw every feature ever requested into the bucket and make our product some sort of overdazzling confusion.

Some things are better left out. Subforums are one of them.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]Maybe becuase we just don't like the idea? Just because something can be added to the code doesn't mean we're going to. We're not going to throw every feature ever requested into the bucket and make our product some sort of overdazzling confusion.

Some things are better left out. Subforums are one of them. [/]

Oh Finally thats a clear answer, thanks.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That should be [:"pink"]navaho[/][]https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/images/graemlins/navaho.gif[/]'s new sig. LOL :lol:

Veteran
Veteran
Nah. I think that came across sounding more stern than I intended, but at least I'm consistent.

Veteran
Veteran
On second thought vvvvvv

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
[] Maybe becuase we just don't like the idea? Just because something can be added to the code doesn't mean we're going to. We're not going to throw every feature ever requested into the bucket and make our product some sort of overdazzling confusion.

Some things are better left out. Subforums are one of them.
[/]

It's your product, and its a great product without it. I've bought quite a few licenses and would not have if I didn't like it, BUT....I have to disagree here.

It's not like subforums are an addition requested by just a few people. A LOT of people would like to see it, and I think it would be a very useful addition.

That is my opinion.

With that said, I'm glad you don't come over to my business and start telling me how to run it! Of course, then again, these "hackers" making mods help you guys "infopop" to further develop and improve your product so I'm guessing you take not offense to these opinions but look at them rather as constructive criticism...

Anyway, as long as someone can hack it in there then I'm happy...

Addict
Addict
Why be, or look like, everyone else? Such conformity is boring...

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Anyone else think [:"pink"]navaho[/][]https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/images/graemlins/navaho.gif[/] is funny when he's angry?

Veteran
Veteran
"so I'm guessing you take not offense to these opinions"

Heck no. Welcome them! I'd rather disagree with you then never hear from you. And more often than not I agree with you. All of you.

Something to remember here, ..... this site, while representative of a large number of active .threads users, and code hackers, is not always representative of the majority of .threads users. We have to make decisions that cover all, or the largest number of, .threads and .classic users. Doesn't mean we don't listen, just means sometimes what we hear from place to place gets weighted against what we hear in other places.

But you know that anyway.

And as for hacking in things. I would never want that to go away. It is what makes each board feel more special and personal. I know I felt that way about my boards when I was running heavily modified .classic boards way back in the day. I sold off my last website a while ago and have no personal site to mess with anymore, but I sure haven't forgotten where I came from.

And subforums last... I'm pretty sure there is/was a lot of coding in there to help you. (almost all of it, last time I looked)

Edited - because I really CAN spell weighted, yes I can

Last edited by navaho; 08/05/2004 5:37 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
[]Ian Spence said:
Anyone else think [:"pink"]navaho[/][]https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/images/graemlins/navaho.gif[/] is funny when he's angry? [/]

Who's angry?

Last edited by JoshPet; 08/05/2004 5:37 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
That's horribly broken.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I can fix that [:"pink"]navaho[/][]https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/images/graemlins/navaho.gif[/].

Veteran
Veteran
[]JoshPet said:
I can fix that navaho. [/]
hmm. fixed test, 123

Last edited by JoshPet; 08/05/2004 6:22 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
nope, not fixed.

Veteran
Veteran
your regex is also converting n avaho.gif instead of just n avaho

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]Ian Spence said:
Anyone else think [:"pink"]navaho[/][]https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/images/graemlins/navaho.gif[/] is funny when he's angry? [/]

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]JoshPet said:
[]Ian Spence said:

[/]

Veteran
Veteran
Much better. Here's a cookie.

Veteran
Veteran

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]navaho said:
Much better. Here's a cookie. [/]

LOL

I prefer chips ahoys - but I'm on a low carb thing, so I don't eat them that often.

Boy - we've derailed this thread haven't we.

We should get back on track. If anyone can comment on my image ideas. Note that I also shared these image ideas at UBBDev.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Ha ha -[:"pink"]navaho[/][]https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/images/graemlins/navaho.gif[/] got in trouble.

Another good place to discuss this next generation product would be at this thread at UBBDev.

Veteran
Veteran

Josh, we used to be the world's champion thread stealing team till PinkJazz showed up.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hrm.. then his title should fit him.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Actually I heard that Rick actually programmed subforums - but he wrote the code down on a piece of paper - then he ate it. Poof. No subforums.

Veteran
Veteran
Depends on whether it was the same piece of paper that PinkJazz took with him on vacation.

Addict
Addict
Nav, will the "New Program" resemble Eve/UBB.x in appearance? (I understand it is not a clone or redo of eve/ubb.x. Just wondering if it will be made to be more uniform.)

- Custom Web Development
Ian Spence at UBBDev said it will replicate Classic's look, but I think that is only pure speculation. I think it should include elements of Classic, Threads, and eve to be fair to everyone.

J.C., have you seen my image ideas?

Addict
Addict
Some, hence my question

And no offense, but I hope they do NOT use the dhtml menus as such. Having them in the menu bar would be a lot easier for those wishing to be more creative with the templates.

Also, will the new board have the ubb. prefix?

Last edited by J.C.; 08/05/2004 11:05 PM.

- Custom Web Development
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I know the name of it.

The new Infopop product will be called.....

Drumroll please

UBB.PinkJazz

Addict
Addict
Someone right a randomizer script, and feed in ubb.classic, ubb.threads and post the more coherent results.

- Custom Web Development
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63