Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran
Veteran
We've begun working on a new message board product that will attempt to combine the strengths of both of our current downloadable message board products (UBB.classic and UBB.threads).

This new product, yet to be named, is being written in PHP and will run on a MySQL 4 database. It will replace both UBB.classic and UBB.threads and be Infopop's sole downloadable message board. UBB.classic and UBB.threads license-holders will be able to download the next generation product when it becomes available, so long as they have a current member area subscription for their product. We will also be ensuring that versions of UBB.classic and UBB.threads remain available in the member area well beyond the release date of the new product.

Finally, the new product is not simply an upgrade from UBB.classic and UBB.threads. This is an entirely new product and, as such, moving to it will require a data import from your existing message board. If you have a valid UBB.classic or UBB.threads license, however, you will not have to purchase a new license to use the new product!

Consolidating our development efforts on one downloadable message board should result in a better overall product, improved support, and faster development cycles. We'll release more details about the new product over the coming months, but the current projection is for a Spring 2005 release date.

To summarize:

-- The new product is being written in PHP, running on MySQL 4.

-- Your existing UBB.threads or UBB.classic license will apply to the new product.

-- New development on UBB.classic and UBB.threads will cease, with the exception of bug fixes.

-- Old versions of UBB.threads and UBB.classic will remain in the member area, even after the new product is released.

-- If you move from UBB.classic or UBB.threads to the new product, you will actually have to import your data to the new message board (it is not simply an upgrade). This means some settings/information from your current board may be lost (because not all of features/settings will be the same).

-- Release of the new product is not expected until Spring 2005.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
My question is.....

[]New development on UBB.classic and UBB.threads will cease, with the exception of bug fixes.[/]

At what point will development cease - is this after the release of 6.5? So there will not be a 6.6 etc.?

It would be nice to know how long a gap there will be between development of threads and ubb and the new product?

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Veteran
Veteran
Apart from my question above - I personally think this should be great for the product - I know it will not be popular with everyone - especially if current development stops and a stable new release is after spring 05, with a long gap.

As long as we can have lots of groups, I will be happy

Old Hand
Old Hand
Aye will they finish 6.5 or are the shelving 6.5 at beta 4.... alot of questions remain...

I'm just wondering about the new UBB.

• Will this new UBB blend in elements of eve? I would like it to use interactive elements of eve, becaus vB3 uses something similar.

• Is this the end for threaded view? What has made UBB.threads appealing to some is the threaded display option. For those who dislike threaded display, it should have an admin option to be disabled.

• Will any other features be lost?

• Will both Rick and Charles work on this new UBB?

BTW, I will delete the photos for UBB.threads 7.0 and come up with ideas for the new UBB.

BTW, I think the new UBB should be called UBB.1337! I will share my ideas at UBBDev.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
We'll be adapting this site and possibly merging with UBBDev so that there will still be an active development community for both Threads and the new product.

Guru
Guru
6.5 will be finished, and any maintenance releases will be made as bugs are found. There just won't be any new features added to either .classic or .threads.

UBB.threads Developer
Guru
Guru
Threaded view will remain intact. Basically we're going to take the best of both .classic and .threads into the new product.

I know this is going to be a rough sell to some people. The front end of .threads was due for a major overhaul, not only in look but the code needed to be improved majorly, so a major rewrite for the frontend was on the slate anyways. Both Charles and I will be working on the new product which should help in getting releases out in a timely manner and to keep up with the Joneses.

UBB.threads Developer
Well I hate to ask this over here, as it is not 100% the place, but Josh knows everything (grins), and Scream and many others are here all the time as well. Two questions or thoughts.

I have ubb.threads so integrated into my site (as many others), that this could be extremely painful when it comes time to swap over. So obviously one of my choices is to continue running 6.4x or 6.5x indefinitely.

1. So can I keep upgrading my yearly membership in the event that I want to eventually use the new system?

Second question - I like many people are a legacy member from the WWWThreads days, and due to that my yearly membership area fees are on a different structure, and have been since we moved from WWWThreads to Infopop.

2. Will that yearly fee remain the same, or is it going away?

Thanks guys as always, I have truly enjoyed this product since day 1, and started learning php by delving into the code of threads!

Veteran
Veteran
All sounds good - this can only be good news in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I know you hate to speculate on features but will any of the new product introduce any features of what is in eve?

Veteran
Veteran
1. So can I keep upgrading my yearly membership in the event that I want to eventually use the new system?

Yes.

Second question - I like many people are a legacy member from the WWWThreads days, and due to that my yearly membership area fees are on a different structure, and have been since we moved from WWWThreads to Infopop.

2. Will that yearly fee remain the same, or is it going away?

Same.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Veteran
Veteran
[]oceanwest said:
I know you hate to speculate on features but will any of the new product introduce any features of what is in eve? [/]

I'm sure it will. We have eve to draw upon, as well as .classic and .threads. Why not use what is best of all of them?

No idea what Eve "is" or "does" - but I am always interested to see what you guys come up with

Thanks [:"pink"]navaho[/][]https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/images/graemlins/navaho.gif[/].

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Just found this kind of email in my mailbox that I never wanted to receive... You guys keeping me busy with every of the recent versions and now a complete new product

I have done thousands changes to the templates of ubb.t and implemented lots of hacks and hundreds of changes. Also I have to maintain two more languages with every new release. Will all that work be lost? Do I have to start from scratch?

Will it be worth migrating to 6.5 if there is a complete new product anyway?

Will there be a comparison of what feature will be new or lost?

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
[]Will all that work be lost? Do I have to start from scratch?[/]Unfortunately, yes, you'll probably need to start from scratch. The new product works differently from both Classic and Threads from a Wordlet/Template point of view. However, with any luck, you'll find the work easier.

[]Will it be worth migrating to 6.5 if there is a complete new product anyway?[/]Absolutely!

[]Will there be a comparison of what feature will be new or lost? [/]When we have the final tally, yes, we'll post a list. We're trying to not remove features, so when one does get removed, it has to be a VERY good reason.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Veteran
Veteran
I have done thousands changes to the templates of ubb.t and implemented lots of hacks and hundreds of changes. Also I have to maintain two more languages with every new release. Will all that work be lost? Do I have to start from scratch?

It is a totally new product. Should you move to it then yes, you'll have to start over with hacks and mods.

Will it be worth migrating to 6.5 if there is a complete new product anyway?

6.5 will be here within a week or two. The new product won't be till spring 2005. Obviously it's your choice, but my choice would be to go to 6.5, get the new control panel and all the rest of the new features and bug fixes. It's lots nicer than anything before it.

Will there be a comparison of what feature will be new or lost?

When the time is appropriate, yes.

*lol* - i've been running bbs/forums for more than half a decade now, earlier i had some dialin-bbs, even multi-node bbs running with quickbb, remoteaccess and majorbbs. being one of the first-time-customers of an ultimatebb i'm used to start in a period of about 18 months from scratch, rebuilding the look&feel and usability by tweaking, hacking, patching and modifying by coding uncountable lines, removing and adding and de-bugging. so, this is MY JOB to keep the site up and running using future technologies, this is why my 13.000 users love me because i do take care about new features, a more stable and powerful and fast engine... it takes loads of times, sometimes i got rid of hacking things again, but on the other hand it's fun seing more and more useful features using a brighter technology...

so, i guess the new product will be some sort of downloadable eve including a hopefully modular structure to allow users to drag&drop new infopop-products&/features like an link-engine, an build-in myspace-file-explorer, a gallery, a build in chat-module and some cms-features to give that upcoming product (ubb.new7.x? adam *G* ?) an additional portal-feature to competite with pjp/postnuke... just some ideas but i guess this might be the way infopop is gonna do... :-)

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
^^ Well, you surely have the "downloadable" bit right.

Veteran
Veteran
Let me be clear, this is *not* going to be a downloadable eve.

Veteran
Veteran
Can Pink Jazz please post the screenshot of the new product

well, i used the term 'eve' just to make clear that i GUESS that this new product could include some 'basic features' engines like xoops, php- and postnuke do offer by giving us the ability to include typical portal-features - less or more *G* - on the fly... like the already mentioned features like a gallery, a link-engine, some chat-module, a file-'community' for sharing ware..err.. stuff or things like that. i i'd look closer at eve it seems that this is a try of starting a tiny portal, not just a bbs anymore like we're used to. so, i guess the new product will be MORE than just a forum. it's just an idea. or in other words, i HOPE that i will be able in late spring/summer2005 to offer my users a bunch of features they're requesting for years and some of these requests i had to feed using 3rd-party stuff which really does NOT satisfy me :-)

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
The new UBB is "just" a message board. If we choose to develop things like a photo gallery package, etc, in the future, they would likely be marketed as independant products.

they would likely be marketed as independant products.

that's for sure, always making some extra cent *biggrin*

but well, today message boards ARE more than just 'message boards' compared to the earlier times when i've been working with uucp, fido and - as mentioned - software like quickbbs, remote access or even majorbbs. so, well, let's wait and see...

Coder
Coder
Will / does it have subforums or subforum options?

/*Ouch, who hit me...?*/

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Subforums They'll probably decide to take those out.

Veteran
Veteran
At this point I truly doubt the will get put in, but I'm not going to be commenting too much on features from here on out. At least until it is time. We're pretty far from that yet.

And please, make any and all feature request on the UBBCentral boards.

Why does it seem that infopop is afraid of subforums/subcats?

I'm just curious about the members currently with gold licenses...will we have to pay for a new license with this new product?

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
[]UBB.classic and UBB.threads license-holders will be able to download the next generation product when it becomes available, so long as they have a current member area subscription for their product.[/]

So that'd be a "no."

Wooohooo!!!!

I don't have official screenshots, but I am currently working on some ideas for Infopop to consider.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I read about this new product months ago on the Power Rangers board.

Addict
Addict
LOL

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
sigh......I think this will be good, but change, change, change...I hate change, until change isn't change anymore.

I have some pretty extensive integration-I think-with my jobs software, etc. I'm wondering how that will turn out.

On a side note, I'm not a big fan of Eve.

Question: How will this affect integration with stuff like photopost, reviewpost, etc? Am I back at square one?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Welcome to square one.

But it's all PHP MySQL - us gurus will put on our pointed caps and get to work.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
more money for JoshPet....less money for Shortbus...
I smell a conspiracy!!!!!!!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
LOL

Go infopop.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
>Why does it seem that infopop is afraid of subforums/subcats?

Yes, why is it?

vbulletin can do it.
invision can do it.

infopop can't? Look at their code people, it's not THAT hard

Veteran
Veteran
I have an old UBB licence - looks like I might now renew that to benefit from the the new product. Might just grab the $75 offer before it finishes at the end of the month. (not sure how much it is normally - anyone?)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63