Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#304062 10/12/2002 10:07 AM
Addict
Addict
Wow.. ok, so you know that problem I had the other day with all those MySQL errors? Well I have two sites hosted on two different machines with the same company. The one my main site is on (the jeep site) was resolved by morning.

Well, my other site, which.. frankly is even less busy as far as storage/bandwidth is concerned, it still has not been resolved. Upon further inspection and looking at phpMyAdmin, THE DATABASE IS GONE!!!!

I filled out a support ticket, and my response was to email [][email protected][/] because they have disabled my database. WHY? Grrrr.. I haven't went over my bandwidth limits, storage limits, NOTHING. Just glad this didn't happen to my other site or I would be completely irate.

So anyway, I find myself backing up my other DB twice a day now incase they pull the same stunt. I still can't believe that...

Oh, and while we're on the subject of backing up.. I simply use "mysqldump -u username -p dbname > output.file" but I thought I remembered here someone saying to use -opt flags or something, but not sure why. Either way... One of my sites is now offline until I hear a valid explanation. They better at least let me copy that database, it was a message board with nearly 120,000 threads and 3300 users

Sponsored Links
palmen #304063 10/12/2002 10:48 AM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
That sucks! Is this CI host your using? I have been thinking of switching to them.

[]
"mysqldump -u username -p dbname > output.file"
[/]

That's all I use

Addict
Addict
Yep.. I do use CI host, have been for years. I have never had a problem with them in the past, and they always have an initial response to any support tickets within a few hours.

And when you get one of their specials, you can't beat it, but this incident has me confused. Possibly it was a misunderstanding, but I will hold off any judgement until I find out for sure.

I think they are great in terms of service, hardware, and some of the plans you can get deals on.. but for larger and more popular sites, I think they start to force you to paying more money (ie. buying a dedicated or semi-dedicated server, etc).

And one thing I know, they are not very cheap when it comes to that, so I do not think I will be staying with them once my 1year contract is up in january. That's the whole goal of my dedicated server I'm getting soon though, is to host my few sites on it, and start up a little webhosting biz on the side to help pay for the server costs and maybe put some $ in my pocket

Also.. I notice CIhost is not regarded very well over at webhostingtalk.com due to some questionable businesses tactics... so while they work well for what I need them too, I haven't read about the whole big picture

palmen #304065 10/12/2002 11:17 AM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
They have a facility in Chicago that I can colocate a server to. It starts at 99 dollars a month for 50g of bandwidth which would suite me fine. I'm not moving just yet but I do want to build my own server and colocate it somewhere.

Addict
Addict
You may want to look at this:

http://www.fastservers.net/co-location/configure.shtml

I have narrowed my choices down for my dedicated to them. Base 1U co-lo is 88/month and that includes 150gb or half a meg/second bandwidth. They are based out of waterloo iowa.

From all the people I have talked to they are great. You can also talk to shane on AIM if you have it, and he is very nice and explains anything you ask about. He is ShaneFastservers as his s/n.

Sponsored Links
palmen #304067 10/12/2002 1:06 PM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I don't have any instant messenger thingies but I'll definately look the site over. My main reason for CI host was that the server is close enough that I could drive down in 4-5 hours and fix any piece of hardware that may fail. But, if the price is right... lol

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
CI host has had lots of bad press in the past with their systems being down and lack of service.

I knew this webdesigner, Siobhan O'Brien... and she had several sites hosted with CI on her server. They had some big problems....and the sites were down for quite a while.

She couldn't even reach anyone there at the time, it was a nightmare for her and she almost lost her business as a result. I believe she is still spearheading a class action lawsuit against them.

If you visit this page:
http://www.coolballs.com/coollinks/news.html

It's one of her sites that was affected..... it's their "in the news page"... scroll down a bit til you see the MSN News Section.

You might want to learn all you can about them. I wouldn't know a thing were it not for knowing Siobhan... she made national news with her plight.

More links:
http://www.espiria.com/Suppdocs/oughta_be_elegal.htm

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/doc/1047/1:NE21/1:NE210125100.html

http://slashdot.org/articles/00/01/05/1043218.shtml

This is her site....
http://www.evolvedsites.com/cichat/
I know she would answer any specific questions you might have. Maybe this is all old news... but always good to do the R&D and check it all out.

I just have heard the saga up close and personal from her (she was a client of mine) and her clients (who had also become clients of mine).

Daine #304069 10/13/2002 12:23 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Any webhoster that does not even answer the phone when they are having problems is just not reputable. No matter what happens with my servers, I keep answering the phone, even if it's just to say sorry and give an ETA! Anything else is just bs.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63