Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Dave "Nav" Dreezer gave us long-awaited news regarding the future of both software scripts and the new stuff coming down the pike here:

http://www.ubbcentral.com/boards/showflat.php/Number/43719

Looking forward to the new stuff come May 10 (my birthday )

In a semi-related note:

We owe a HUGE thankyou to Charles Capps - long-time developer of the mothership that is/was UBB.Classic. He's moving on to greener pastures after 5 years with Infopop as the lead developer of the most popular forum script ever.

Thank you CC, good luck in your new endeavors and welcome back here as one of our best modification writers thumbsup

Hey, and welcome back Rick, we missed ya

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Lurker
Lurker
I think it is great that Grouppe/Infopop's new product is going to be a new version of UBBthreads.

I am fairly new to this community and to using UBBthreads (our board went online just a week ago). I have been online reading many complaints about UBBthreads (and that people complain that there is no new version, that there are several bugs in the current release and so on).

I have to say I really don't understand what this fuzz is all about. First, I have to say that I absolutely love UBBthreads BECAUSE OF ITS simplicity!! I think it is really easy and clear to use for both, users and admins.

So far I cannot say that the current version is full of bugs. Our members have been using the board for one week now and it runs smoothly with no bugs whatsoever.
The only thing that did not work was the clicking on the UBBCode, which brings me to the next point.

If you contact Groupee with any questions or concerns, they react immediately. I think they have a GREAT support and the "bug" about clicking the UBBCode (such as icons and smilies) was fixed within an hour or so.

I am sure that version 7 will be just as good as any former UBBthreads version.

Well, I really wanted to say this here because I have been reading so much negative things lately that I thought it might be nice when a satisfied customer speaks out for a change.

Jamie I respect your enthusiasm, as I once 'loved' Threads above all others as well.

But when Groupee decided to hang its 'years long' users as well as the newest ones out to dry - they slowly built up a lot of anger toward Infopop and/or Groupee. This was not an overnight occurrance.

Go to ubbcentral.com and look at the boards, especially at the inactivity. Forums were heavily moderated, posts deleted, people banned, etc etc - all for ASKING for support.

While I share the same sentiment in that UBB7 is hopefully a great product and better than its predecessors...I can also say I have gone from 5 sites with UBBThreads, down to one. And that is completely because of Groupee.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'm looking forward to the new code - I can't remember a time when they put actual release dates on a new product/version... should be a fun summer

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Lurker
Lurker
[]Medar said:
Jamie I respect your enthusiasm, as I once 'loved' Threads above all others as well.

But when Groupee decided to hang its 'years long' users as well as the newest ones out to dry - they slowly built up a lot of anger toward Infopop and/or Groupee. This was not an overnight occurrance.

Go to ubbcentral.com and look at the boards, especially at the inactivity. Forums were heavily moderated, posts deleted, people banned, etc etc - all for ASKING for support.

While I share the same sentiment in that UBB7 is hopefully a great product and better than its predecessors...I can also say I have gone from 5 sites with UBBThreads, down to one. And that is completely because of Groupee. [/]

Hi Medar,

yes I have to say that I probably missed a lot of the whole drama. As I said, I am fairly new here and have only read about it. That is why I probably are missing a lot of information.

I understand that UBB-users had to wait a long time for the new downloadable product and that it was initially planned for Summer 2005. Now it obviously is not going to be a new product but an ugrade of UBBthreads.
What I don't understand is: why were users so mad against Groupee? Was it because they were hoping for new features?

Personally I have to say that I DID choose UBBthreads in October last year. And I chose it because it did not have all these whistles and bells. So my point of view may be different fromn other people's.

Also, I understand that UBBclassic users were afraid that support and development of their product was likely to end. But now that I see that Groupee offers a switch to UBBthreads, I think that's a really fair solution. Classic is still a Perl product and we're in the year 2006 now. Basically ALL perl scripts have been replaced by PHP and MySQL.

What were your reasons to be angry with Groupee? I hope I'm not waking any sleeping dogs here but being a new member I would like to hear a bit more about the drama in order to form my own opinion about it. So far I am really happy with Groupee and for me UBBthreads is one of the fest forum softwares out there. So I'm a Grouppe-fan and not looking for any Groupee-bashing. BUt I understand this is a controversial topic.
So far, however, I don't see anything that Groupee has done wrong. I don't think it is necessarily a disadvantage that they're not bringing out new updates and features for the board software constantly. I would rather describe it as ad advantage and it was the reason why I chose the board software.

Sponsored Links
Oh I don't think there are any sleeping dogs here. I am not out to bash any group or people...so Allen won't have to moderate me!

My past issue is one that every Threads Admin had. Basically the 6.5 code was bugged. Post tracking does not properly work, and there were a host of other small issues. This was supposedly fixed in 6.5.1 and 6.5.1.1 - but the same issues existed.

Then Groupee simply quit responding on their 'support' forums...and the long silence started. That was well over a year ago, leaving any UBB.Threads Admins running 6.5 boards...well...fairly high and dry.

Now I am pretty happy with my UBB.Threads 6.4.4 forum I have running for my family. Posts are tracked properly, and the code is ok. But I will not upgrade it beyond that, and ALL my forums that were running 6.5 and above were long ago upgraded to other forum software.

I have no ill will toward Groupee at all - but the lack of Customer Support will be REALLY hard to forget, even if they come up with something great.

Hope that was tame!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It was... support has slipped in the last year for current customers, mostly just due to a lack of communication - here's hoping the ship gets righted as they move to supporting just one downloadable product

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Power User
Power User
You can most likely get better support here once it becomes a bit more active with a big new release version.

I have ran a version of UBBthreads/WWWthreads for the past 7 years
1000's (9000) of users and 10's of 1000's (200,000) of posts and no problems.

I did my own patches when users found security holes and all that jazz.

I never stayed with the upgrades as we moved thru the info pop years. I think I have only visited the official info pop UBB site maybe 10 times in the past 7 years -- Just to see whats new with UBB.

hehe -- I even took a 5 year break from posting in this forum LOL!

So now we want to start over fresh -- I look at every forum package that exists and still threads wins on what I need my forum to do and how we want it to operate.

Its easy to mod and runs great -- It also has a perfect interface for a world wide audience and a wide range of computer users.

I look forward to relaunching my forum under the 6.5.4 code base and will definitely check out UBBthreads 7 and hopefully move to that before the end of the year. (Depends on how many mods I must make --- I have specific requirements for my forums)

Overall I love threads since Rick codes PHP just like I do so its easy to follow.....(I don't know if this is good or bad LOL!)

So I am still very much a UBBthreads supporter -- Even if I still call it WWWthreads

Last edited by Flyin V; 05/22/2006 9:08 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
wwwthreads still works

I just realized your reg date, I thought you were a new user Welcome back

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63