Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
And Sky, I am not one to knock another forum, as I have also used all the big ones and most of the free ones from either a testing standpoint, integration standpoint, or just to see how well they ran my existing data.

The above blurb you noted is fron phpBB2 - and while it is a great free forum and one I would consider using if I was not a lifetime member around here...the code (in my humble non-coder opinion) is not nearly as clean or efficient as Threads.

While it stacks up feature-wise and mod-wise, try it out on a busy forum, you might be surprised at the results.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Okay I better leave this alone since it has strayed from the original topic and turned into a debate I don't particularly wish to persue since I'm pleased with .threads overall and will be using it through 2005.

I will say though that I can provide plenty of examples of these so called poorly-written open source discussion handlers being used by big names with vibrant communities and a mind-numbing number of posts. Alas, some are even integrated with the likes of other popular scripts such as photopost, nuke, and several chat programs.

Like the open source community members, you guys are very helpful and friendly. Which discussion forum handler I am providing to my Members in 2005 will remain to be seen... I would certainly consider reaching back into my pocket book but it will all depend how far .threads has come. Be rest assured that if I'm thinking this, others are too. If you think otherwise, get your head out of the sand.

In the mean time... I chose threads, I like threads and Medar, I like this community too but unlike you I have not been a lifetime member around here... I will do what's best for my Members when it's time to make a decision... and that may just mean UBB.threads again too -- it all depends.

My original point was to please have more patience when people poke and Prod about release dates... they do so because they are enthusiastic about seeing UBB.threads advance with new features. I too look forward to seeing what the future holds, just like all of you.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Long live UBB.threads!

Jason

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
viva la threads!

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
what is this ubbthreads you people speak of?

Old Hand
Old Hand
I hear it's a phpbb clone.

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In anticipation I sit and wait.
Humbly waiting for the next threads update.

Many share this tireless fate.
Eagerly awaiting the final release date.

Checking in thirty-thrice a day
Anxiously hoping that it could be today.

Others asking just like me
when will six point five there be?

I know it will never be too late
So I try not to become irate.

When its doneā„¢ is good for some,
but timely reassurance is always welcomed.

If I haven't said it enough
your doing a hell of a job - Keep it up!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
LOL

Daine #292790 02/24/2004 10:17 PM
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
did you get my pm?

wilstephens #292791 02/29/2004 7:56 PM
Will this new model have the ablity to show different navigation headers for different groups?

The admin CP looks awesome, and it's great to see that some of the ideas floating around have been implemented in it. Stuff like the ability to customize each moderator's priviledges is great IMO. Can't wait to see this one released...

Sponsored Links
Hacker
Hacker
Hey, I saw that PhotoPost crack! :lol:

When we asked our users if they wanted "more features with longer development cycles" or "moderate upgrades in a more timely manner", the vast majority sided with the impatient ones and prefered moderate upgrades. We simply strive to provide what our users want.

When people upgrade is entirely up to them. Heck, I'm still running GMS on one of my sites!

Addict
Addict
Want all things possible, NOW!!!!!

hehehehe

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Not sure if this has been added yet???

If memory serves me correct, I remember something being mentioned about making threads more search engine friendly? Was this implemented in 6.4 or is it slated for the 6.5 release? Sure would be nice if the search engines could spider threads and make good use of all the information in the posts if this has not already been done

Looking forward to the 6.5 release just the same!

Chuck

flumpydog, This is currently available as a mod for 6.4 and will be built in to 6.5

How about integrating a videochat link interface in a new version. For example a list of forum users who are currently online with AIM/iChat would show up as a list under the forum. By clicking them, the AIM or iChat interface would open.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Well 6.5 has been feature frozen for quite a while - but be sure to post suggestions in the feature suggestion at the www.ubbcentral.com site so that infopop sees them and logs them so they can be considered for future versions.

thanks for the reply, will keep an eye out for it in 6.5 for sure and might even jump the gun and try the mod

Addict
Addict
Going on 3 months now. I'm not being impatient or anything, but has a private beta EVER lasted this long?? And I'd still like to throw my hat into the ring for consideration of being a beta tester. Whenever a public beta comes out, I install a copy and my mods and I test it out until the gold is released.

*insert many winks here*

Old Hand
Old Hand
[]but has a private beta EVER lasted this long?? [/]

ever try waiting for a game thats been in Beta for eons? I was in UO, EQ, SWG, and now COH and I tell ya.. they sometimes are in BETA forever!

Addict
Addict
I know I waited for SimCity4 for an eternity!! I'm currently waiting for Operation Flashpoint 2.

But yeah, screenshots of 6.5 rock!

Okay, I got the Infopop headquarters layout extrapulation from a Russian spy satelite. I'm going in to get a copy of 6.5...Who's with me?

Addict
Addict
w00t!

Old Hand
Old Hand
We can hold Navaho for Ransom.. maybe Scream will trade 6.5 for him.. maybe he won;t

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
LOL

Yeah, it takes time. If I recall, I think 6.2 took forever. It just depends on how much is changed - rewritten. Soooooo much was totally rewritten in 6.5. I mean, new post tracking was rewritten from the ground up. That's pretty major on it's own. Lots of testing and tweaking to be done there. Then rewrite the entire admin area. Major major. Then create an upgrade utility and totally change the way it's installed/upgraded and functions. Lots of stuff to test out.

So I think the time period is normal. In fact, things have moved along faster than I personally expected. When I saw the changes being done, I thought we'd be lucky to see it public by next year.

Veteran
Veteran
I came upon a new list of bugs/improvements today in the upgrade proceedure. I don't want to send it out while the small group is still finding them.

The control panel is not simply reskinned, it is rethought, and recoded from the ground up. The registration process, new content islands, a new upgrade system ... there is a lot here to go over.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
[]Soooooo much was totally rewritten in 6.5. I mean, new post tracking was rewritten from the ground up. That's pretty major on it's own. Lots of testing and tweaking to be done there. Then rewrite the entire admin area. Major major. Then create an upgrade utility and totally change the way it's installed/upgraded and functions. Lots of stuff to test out.
[/]

yeah, and the double secret subforums surprise is a whole project on it's own. That's really the main reason for the delay.

That, and that tiny little five minute mod they are adding in especially for me where you can select user profile fields that are required upon registration but are only displayed for admins to see;).

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
They said 6.5 won't have "sub" anything - as none of the other infopop products have subforums - they want them to be consistant.

You can require profile fields on signup.... and there is an Admin Notes field in the user's profile. If you wanted signup info collected and stored in the notes filed, that would be a very easy mod.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]JoshPet said:
They said 6.5 won't have "sub" anything - [/]

what about [sub]scriptions

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Come on Josh, they are even keeping you out of the loop on this one. I have seen the master plan and SUB FORUMS ARE REAL DAMNIT, They're real...

Just use categories, nobody will know the difference

Lurker
Lurker
[]coloradok5 said:
Just curious, are anyone of you guys testing (early private beta) this on a large site, say around 1 millon posts to test the speed of the search and the other new queries etc.? With 1 milion posts 6.4 is about as fast as a 72 Ford Pinto with bald tires, we need a new Corvette with a supercharger that will smoke'em in all gears.
Show me the speed baby, it's all about the speed, I want to get out of the School zone and back on the super highway. [/]

Justouta interest... how do you KNOW its the software and not the server? I presume an earlier version was much quicker? All right we don't have a million posts (~200K) but we have around about 100 users at a time, all searching (well when it used to work in 6.3 ) posting etc and the little beast flies! You tired PHP accelerator or a faster server? Going from a cobalt raq4 to a P4 2.4 ghz made the biggest difference for us. [shameless plug] check out www.tyresmoke.net to see what i mean [/shameless plug]

From the 6.5 changelog...
"Reworked the sticky posts a bit more to be more efficient. With this change, sticky posts will appear at the top of every page instead of just the first page in a forum."

I hope there will be an option NOT to show sticky's on all pages.

Yors Truly

Who? Me? Worry?
JoshPet,

Do you aggree that this:

[]
#108490 - [:"red"]02/22[/]/04 03:27 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Jason - I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Their newsletter a few days ago indicated that 6.5 was "coming soon".
[/]

Has been anything but "coming soon"?

Ron

Addict
Addict
In software terms, a few months is definately still coming soon, especially considering there are quite a few sites running 6.5 betas.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Windows 2010 coming soon...

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
sub forums is no small addition people! It takes time. And considering there doesn't seem to be any beta's with subforums, it may be a few more months.

Veteran
Veteran
sub-forums are not part of 6.5 - unless I have missed soemthing obvious

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
[] Subject Poster Views Replies Rating Last post [/]

yes, you must have missed it.

[]
yes, you must have missed it.
[/]

Well, I have looked at the recent changelog, the admin panel pictures and the few test-beta-devXX forums around, but I can't find ANY clue there will be a sub-forum option in the 6.5 release

B.t.w. I am not complaining. The list of features in 6.5 looks spectacular. I just don't like it much if someone sends e-mail announcing a release soon, and keeps you waiting another few months. Then better not announce it at all

Ron

[]shortbus said:
[] Subject Poster Views Replies Rating Last post [/]

yes, you must have missed it. [/]

Unless something new has come up, there will be no subforums in 6.5.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63