Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#291868 03/28/2002 9:38 AM
Guru
Guru
As you can see from the instant graemlin menu, we have 11 smilies. Do you think we need more? If so, go ahead and post a link to your smiley and a name for it as we do have room for a few more. By name I mean what should the markup tag be to convert the smiley.

NOTE: There is currently a bug with the image markup tag, so just post the url to it or attach it to your post.

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
Well, there was a reply here with 4 new smilies that I just added. Was gonna say thanks, but the poster deleted their post. But thanks anyways []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/]

UBB.threads Developer
you got mail []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Scream:

Can I suggest a better method on this? How about adding an Admin Control Panel function that will allow Admins to add their own smilies, specifying what the markup code should be, etc.?

For reference, you might want to take a look at iKonboard. This is a function that I actually miss. All you had to do was upload an image into a certain directory and then the function would display a list of all the icons in that directory with an editable field next to the icon where you could specify the code to be used.

If you didn't want to specify a code you could leave it blank and the image would be in the directory but not accessible via markup.

I'm sure this would be fairly complicated, but I think it would help to improve the overall functionality of the software. []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Guru
Guru
That's definitely a good idea and something that I have wanted to put in. But since I won't be able to get this in for 6.0 I figured a few more for now wouldn't hurt []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/]

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
UBB does this with post icons, just upload them to the icons directory and they appeared. There's also a modification where you upload smilies to a smilie/graemlin directory and they are automagically recognized in the cp, you checked the ones you want to appear and give them the markup []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

nice improvements to the posting pages here, except I can no longer TAB+Enter and submit my post []/forum/images/icons/tongue.gif[/] - maybe a second "continue" button right below the message box area? []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
admin configurable smilies, admin configurable post icons, admin configurable custom ubb tags are what is needed. are you going to get images for the ubb code? tect looks awefull.

Last edited by BryanDS; 03/28/2002 4:32 PM.
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict

I had my eyes on the smileys used on deviant for a while but didn't actually check if they allowed free usage for third parties (or if/what are the requrements for doing so).

Sponsored Links
Lurker
Lurker
Actually we inserted some new smilies together with the Quickmarkup-hack. They are running perfectly well in the german version, but we did not updtae the other language files.

I think some new similies would be nice. generally I think too much smilies do not help to make a conversation or discussion more interessting, but sometimes smilies are really good to express some feeling sor emotions.

How about the following:
code:
sleep

[]http://forum.herr-der-ringe-film.de/images/icons/smilies/sleep.gif[/]
code:
[rofl]

[]http://forum.herr-der-ringe-film.de/images/icons/smilies/rotfl.gif[/]
code:
[drink]

[]http://forum.herr-der-ringe-film.de/images/icons/smilies/drink.gif[/]

OK, the last one "might" be a little bit of nonsense, but we use it sometimes when there is somethinmg to celebrate (e.g. a new Ubbthreads-Version []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/])

Doesn't threads already have a dir read -> import to control panel script when adding stylesheets. Couldn't this be modded in some way to do the same for smilie, post icons or avatars?

Just a thought.....sorry if I'm on the wrong track.

dRiver

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63