Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 15
#291826 03/23/2002 9:02 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome back []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

As you know we've had a little trouble again.

Let me explain the last problem to you. When I moved the site over I accidently restored something I shouldn't have. A password that had been compromised in the first hack. That allowed our hacker "friend" to log right back in to the admin panel and email you all. That has been solved in a number of ways.

First, every password in the database has been changed, every temporary password removed. The way UBBThreads handles passwords and lost passwords has been rewritten totally. I'll leave it to Rick to explain how that has changed. Lastly we've changed the .htaccess in the admin panel from password based to IP based. If you are not at Rick's house or office, my house or office, or Allen's house or office you're not getting in.

Next as you might have read we upgraded the memory on this server recently. Or tried. Brand new memory right out of the package and nothing but trouble with it. []/forum/images/icons/frown.gif[/]

Sunday night - into Monday morning - we will be once again putting new memory into this server. I hope this time it's a good batch []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/] At the same time we will be doubling the hard drive capacity, updating some of the server software, and adding another backup drive. We expect the site to be down for 3 hours to do this updating. Cross your fingers on the memory []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Now for the good news.

As you can see we're updated to UBBThreads 6 beta1. At the moment most of the new features are turned on but some are not yet. They will be shortly however.

Now the important question. "When is UBBThreads6 coming out?"

As of yet I do not have a delivery date. I expect it to be released as a public beta towards the end of this week, or early next. It depends on how many bugs you find here and in some further closed testing that we are doing.

Besides what you can see what's new in UBBThreads 6? Rick's changelog has far more then I can remember. You can view it's entirety right here. As you can see there is a lot!

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Looking good []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Looks good. Don't see too much changes to the threads yet. A few minor differences but I would assume most of the changes are behind the scene's since from what I have read in Ricks log the code and html are in different files now []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/]
Templates to play with []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Veteran
Veteran
A lot of it is still turned off. Allen's working with it now. I'm on a break. []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/] My eyes are getting blurry trying to figure out how to fix the portal. Oh JustDaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave!!!!!!!!

In reply to:

That allowed our hacker "friend" to log right back in to the admin panel and email you all.

Which is kind of strange since I have never registered on these message boards or on any Infopop thresds site- So Dave how did the cracker get my email address? Either Infopop are sharing membership information with other sites or the cracker compromised another Infopop site.

If you are sharing my user details with other websites can you please stop doing that now as it is in direct violation of your privacy policy

http://infopop.com/aboutus/legal.html

I will asko be asking my solicitor to formally write to you (Infopop) to request that all my information stored in your customer database is removed asap.

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
This is the old wwwthreads.com board. If you ever registerd on that board then you're still registered. I'll remove you now.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
*edit* Dave beat me to it. See his post. []/forum/images/icons/tongue.gif[/]

Last edited by Charles_Capps; 03/24/2002 4:57 AM.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Looks good guys. Glad to have you back!

SDS #291834 03/25/2002 10:20 AM
Lurker
Lurker
How bad did the upgrade to 6.0 BETA hose indexpal? I'm running it also, and would like to know if I should wait until you can update indexpal...... Don't want to screw up an addon as good as indexpal :-)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You'll need to update one line in your index.php page, check the bugs forum for scream's fix []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Crossing fingers hoping 6.0 beta is out to public soon so I can test it on my local machine []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63