Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
spotlight runner-up

The Interviewer: Greg Hard, UBB™ Developers Network
Interviewed: Digital Fault's MenacE

UBBDev:
Congrats on the second place win! Thank you for taking the time to do this interview. What is your background and how long have you been on the web?

MenacE:
Well Im currently at college studying I.C.T in the rainy country of England. Ive been connected to the internet for approximately 4 years. I started off in the Aliens Versus Predator gaming scene, then moved on to Quake 3 Arena, Wolfenstein and Medal of honour. Its only just in the last year that I picked up on webdesign and what it could be used for and more importantly how much I enjoyed it and even more so its only in the last 4 - 5 months since I purchased my Ubb liscence and got working on my forums.

UBBDev:
How did you brainstorm the idea behind digital fault?

MenacE:
Well it all started off when I joined a forum called GameGossip, I was fascinated by the way in which a forum community could bind together and basically being a control freak I wanted to start my own community under my control. I knew what I wanted instanlty before putting much thought to it, Basically I just asked many of my online associates what they would like to see in a forum. I think the hardest part was coming up with a decent name and colour scheme to go with it, at first I kind of used others colour scheme with slight alterations but finally settled on my own colours.

UBBDev:
What was your reason for purchasing the UBB for your site?

MenacE:
I dont actually know the main reason why I purchased Ubb. I think it was mainly because of the UbbDev website and its forums, I actually joined there before purchasing my liscence and found that the topics and postings of hacks and modifications were very helpful and finally edged my decisiion to purchase a Ubb liscence.

UBBDev:
What do you like and dislike most about the UBB™?

MenacE:
What I most like about Ubb is the excellent customer support I received from infopop and the excellent community at UbbDev who are very helpful. What do I dislike about the Ubb? Hmm well now Im starting to know the in's and outs of my forums I have no problem with it but when I first started it was definitely the constant updates of forum versions and some of the lingo used in the UbbDev forums, maybe you guys could make some sort of a lingo dictionary for all the Ubb newbies out there.

UBBDev:
Very good idea. Off the record, whats your favorite season?

MenacE:
Summer.

UBBDev:
What do you do to keep your site "fresh" and what do you recommend to keep people coming back for more?

MenacE:
Well constant updates in my opinion are a key element to keeping members interested, If the site has the same appearance in and out from day one members will soon become bored. When I say updates I dont mean major revamps just the odd little feature here and there.

UBBDev:
What do you do to attract member to register at your forums?

MenacE:
Well most of my members are actually friends and co workers of existing members so I guess its basically relying on the members to spread the word, and you do that by making the forum an enjoyable place to post without too many restrictions.

UBBDev:
Are there any "tricks of the trade" you'd like to share that any UBB owner can use to improve the success of their site?

MenacE:
Well constant hacking and modifying can be a bit much sometimes. In my opinion Id only install hacks that make things easier for the user and admin. No point having hacks that use alot of CPU Power when nobody really uses or needs to use them. Colour scheme is also a very important factor, making something bright and colourful might look nice to you when your high, but have you actually tried reading green text from a red background?

UBBDev: lol. Thank you for your time and the ending bit of humor.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63