Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Interview by: Deb
Spotlighted site: KAAU.com
This month's 2nd place Member Spotlight winner KAAU.com is a nice example of developing a site to suit the needs of users. Wanted has created a site that fits his mood and the requirements of a well-rounded forum to share information. We caught up with Wanted to get the inside scoop on his site...

UBBDev:
What is your background and how long have you been on the web?

KAAU:
My relationship with computers started when I was 8 years old and from that day on the computer became my first friend and I spent most of my days in front of it. That has helped me finish my double majors ( Industrial Engineering & Computer Sciense ) and also I'm a professional web designer. But if we are talking about CGI exactly... my relationship with it started when I purchased my first UBB and it was v5.40.

UBBDev:
How did you brainstorm the idea behind KAAU.com?

KAAU:
It was a very simple idea, the orginal KAAU Industrial Engineering Department - Student Den Web site was already available before I worked on it. What I did is just added life to the site by using UBB and some of its integrated hacks, some other php scripts and for sure, a new design.
The hard thing about the site that it was my Term Project and it's not enough to make it work well or to have it looking good, it should be built on the industrial (System) Engineering Concepts. Also it should contain a good User guide, so writing the documents & Guide took time more than the modification of the UBB itself.

UBBDev:
AMD or Intel, which do you prefer?

KAAU:
I believe that AMD is better, but I'm using Intel and I'll keep using it.

UBBDev:
Did you feel adding modifications to the UBB was easy or somewhat difficult?

KAAU:
Both .. it is easy because you do something you love, you enjoy it so you will not find it hard, but it's also difficult for me because I'll not accept my board to be modified as the others boards. All the UBBs I have modified were special boards so the new one should be better than the previous. Thats why sometimes it took so long for me to make the new board available.

UBBDev:
Having a unique UBB is what can set it apart from the rest of the crowd, you're right. Which modification, do you feel, is most beneficial to your UBB? In other words, what one modification is an absolute necessity on your UBB?

KAAU:
There are many perfect Hacks around, but because we are talking about KAAU IE Student den, LOGIN.CGI is the most important one, due to the nature of the site.

UBBDev:
What is your favorite beverage to drink while working on your UBB and site?

KAAU:
CocaCola ( 70's Bottle)

UBBDev:
Ahh, Coke in a can doesn't cut it? I admit, I prefer the bottles too. Are there any "tricks of the trade" you'd like to share that any UBB owner can use to improve the success of their site?

KAAU:
Yes, when you modify your UBB just modify it to meet your users needs or requests, don't add every available hack. Also you have to modify your UBB, don't keep the PLAIN standard version. Find a good host ... always maintain & maintain your UBB.

UBBDev:
Not all the bells and whistle modifications are needed for every site, customizing to the needs of your users is most important. What are your future plans for your site?

KAAU:
I'm graduated now, so there are no future plans for this site .. but I have my own Web Designing Site ( Arabic / English ), I hope I can be licensed to Arabizing & modifying my customers UBBs some day.

UBBDev:
Thanks for taking the time to do this interview with us! Best wishes to you and good luck in your future ventures.

:::

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63