Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#286432 02/20/2002 10:38 AM
Haxxor of the Month: Sub Zero
By: Tackaberry

Each month UBBDev will be selecting one of our dedicated Team UBBDev All-Stars as our Haxxor of the Month. In the spotlight this month is Sub Zero , who has been one of our highest flying haxxors over the past couple of months. If you want to find out how you too can rip through the haxxor levels and Team UBBDev rankings, read below...

Interviewed by: tackaberry
Haxxor of the Month: Sub Zero

UBBDev: Tell me a little about your website and what role the UBB™ plays in it.

Sub Zero: TheGeeksInc.com is a fairly new website created by a group of friends from all over the United States to be a friendly place for computer information and support. The UBB serves as a gathering place for the visitors and members. It allows us to share information with other techs or to get an answer to a question. We also share information such as an issue with a particular piece of hardware or software or just to share a humorous story from a hard day's work.

UBBDev: How long have you been using UBB™? What drew you to UBBDev?

Sub Zero: I have been a user on a UBB since late 99. I recently became a UBB Admin when TheGeeksInc.com opened since I do more programming and like to get my hands in the code.

What drew me to UBBDev is the fact that UBBDev is the best source for UBB Modifications. I was poking around with a UBB on an Intranet server before I put the server in production (without a UBB for now) and I asked a friend where he got the Avatars and the stars. He then referred me to UBBDev, and I've been coming back on and off.

UBBDev: What kind of poking have you been doing on your UBB™? Templates, Modifications, Tweaks? What if any mods have you written, or would like to write?

Sub Zero: I'm a programmer/sys admin for a local company, so you could say that curiosity has killed the cat. I've been looking at the code trying to teach myself perl. I even have a couple of books that I'm trying to read in my spare time. I actually developed a hack, the "Posts don't count in a forum" hack. I wrote the core concept, and ClanKiller added CP support. I just need to learn more perl and I will dive in more.

UBBDev: What are your favorite modifications?

Sub Zero: My favorite modifications would be the News Fader, Content Enforcer aka Report Post, and Statistics. Of Course, Classic Who's Online can't be left off my list of favorites. That modification has helped me numerous times both as a moderator and as an administrator. The Report Post hack is nice because a member can "tip off" the admins of a problem if the admins aren't currently on the forums.

UBBDev: Which ones are most popular with your members?

Sub Zero: The more popular modifications with the members would seem to be Classic Who's Online, and Avatars. Every time the UBB is upgraded, I always get an email or two that asks "When are the avatars coming back?" And I always post the same thing after each version change "Avatars will be back when the modification is available"

UBBDev: You seem to be racking up a lot of points, how many computers do you have running the agent, and what are their specs

Sub Zero: I currently have 6 machines running the UD agent. They range from a Pentium 4 1.4Ghz (my work machine) to a PII-233 with 64MB RAM (That's Cartman, my NT Server at home). My main cancer cruncher is my Duron 1Ghz. It has the highest benchmark of my machines, currently 139.

UBBDev: Cartman eh? What are the names for your other machines?

Sub Zero: I have 5 machines at home. You've already met Cartman, the NT server. I have Jester (the Duron 1Ghz Cancer Cruncher), my laptop Viao (couldn't think of anything better), my spare computer named Eat****, and my old laptop named Uranus.

UBBDev: Are there any other things you have done to improve/tweak your performance?

Sub Zero: The first thing I did to tweak my UD Agent was to increase the allotted storage in the device profile to 7GB. This allows your machine to benchmark more accurately in the storage category. By leaving the storage allocation at the default, you only get roughly a 30 for a benchmark, which will bring your overall score down. Also, memory not only helps with UD, it will help your PC run smoother all around. I have 640MB in my Duron 1Ghz, and it only reboots for software installs/updates, to clean the inside, or install new hardware

UBBDev: You've recently started a sub-team for TheGeeksInc.com, how many members do you have, and what have you been doing to encourage their participation?

Sub Zero: Right now, the subteam has only 3 members. Currently, I haven't been heavily promoting the subteam because of UBB upgrades, and the pending Mediacom migration in my area. But I do have plans to promote the subteam more in the near future.

UBBDev: What does participating in the Cancer research project mean to you personally?

Sub Zero: The cancer research hits right in my backyard. My mother is a cancer survivor. I hope that future research can lead to a cure for others so that Cancer becomes a disease of our past. It's a real sobering experience hearing the words "Your mother/father/wife/brother/sister has cancer".

UBBDev: Thanks for taking the time to speak with us, and keep up the great work. You and all of our other All-Stars are helping to make a difference.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63